HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 12:43 PM
bigdirty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post

Usually when you see a picture of a guy who looks like that, it comes with a police warning to parents that he's a considered a high risk to re-offend.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
To change the subject from saying that's not about RNH....

It looks like they're testing out a line of Drouin-Strome-Ritchie. It sounds like it's going well, and it could work out as the second line.

Potentially:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Drouin-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Rattie
Camara-Danault-Lipon
Mackinnon
I like it. I didn't want Hudon in the top 6. Not because he isn't great, but because we have more high end scoring talent than him and he is perfectly suited as an energy player.

I feel bad for MacKinnon that it does look like he will be the 13th forward. He is in a tougher spot since he plays best at center and TC is stacked already at that position. Not sure where he will slip in and out of the lineup if these are the lines Spott goes with.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:55 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
Usually when you see a picture of a guy who looks like that, it comes with a police warning to parents that he's a considered a high risk to re-offend.
I have the same mustache right now up at work, and I have to agree. Every day I get the same "Creeeeeepy" or "You look like a pedophile" remarks.

I'm not shaving it off until after Christmas. That will teach my wife to make fun of me.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I like it. I didn't want Hudon in the top 6. Not because he isn't great, but because we have more high end scoring talent than him and he is perfectly suited as an energy player.

I feel bad for MacKinnon that it does look like he will be the 13th forward. He is in a tougher spot since he plays best at center and TC is stacked already at that position. Not sure where he will slip in and out of the lineup if these are the lines Spott goes with.
I totally agree. In fact, that third line could be just as much as a scoring threat as the second line. But hopefully they are still able to play a solid checking role while providing offense. Between Rattie and Jenner, it doesn't look like Hudon being on the third line is really even a downgrade.

I like it that Mackinnon is playing the same role Tavares played a few years ago. Tavares was really valuable to that team and Mackinnon could prove to be just as valuable to this team too.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Why wasn't selection camp played on Olympic sized ice...it makes no sense to me.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Why wasn't selection camp played on Olympic sized ice...it makes no sense to me.
I'm pretty sure it was.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:24 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
If he's really an NHL first liner like Edmonton fans say, he should.

Remember? He deked Lidstrom into retirement.
Your argument makes no sense to me. WJC caliber is a lot stronger than your argue it is. Theres just not that much of a big jump between WJC top 4-6 teams and the NHL. Most of these teams have guys ready for the NHL and ready for top 6 duty in the NHL. Huberdeau and Scheifele (and Strome) are 2(3) others NHL players...the Russian first line is pretty much the same.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
I'm pretty sure it was.
My mistake..I thought it was NHL sized ice.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:42 PM
TheBeastCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
It was lol

Old
12-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Your argument makes no sense to me. WJC caliber is a lot stronger than your argue it is. Theres just not that much of a big jump between WJC top 4-6 teams and the NHL. Most of these teams have guys ready for the NHL and ready for top 6 duty in the NHL. Huberdeau and Scheifele (and Strome) are 2(3) others NHL players...the Russian first line is pretty much the same.
They're not better than established NHLers. This is exactly the weird hype I was pointing out.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:49 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
I'm pretty sure it was.
It was on big ice!

Old
12-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would think it would be quite a big jump, especially physically.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
A low end #1C?

Ok then.
I think at this point, it is more than fair to say that he is currently a low end 1C.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
They are sheltered NHL players. Even Nugent-Hopkins last year was given very soft minutes and matchups so as to not overwhelm him in his first NHL season. If you think Scheifele and Strome are true stand alone top six NHLers, I'd say take a look at what Niederreiter did to this tournament and then was thrown in the deep in with the Islanders. Or how about Josh Bailey? The Islanders have thrown their prospects into the deep end and shown that when you do that with 18 to 19 year old kids they often suck down more water than is healthy.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Does anyone know if these are the defensive pairings they will use against finland?

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart-Murphy
Wotherspoon

Mark Masters showed the forward lines but not defence during practice. Am I right in guessing they will remain the same and Wotherspoon will be the 7th dman?

Old
12-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Maxpac

I'm still in shock that Charles Hudon made the team as an 18 year old. 6 months ago he was considered a future bust with no consistency that ended up in round #5! What a steal by my Habs, can't wait to see how he does against the best of his age.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:16 AM
markrander87

For starters they'd be bat**** crazy to not have MacKinnon and Drouin play together. I'm beyond impressed they selected both of them, now I hope they don't get too cute and not play them

Old
12-17-2012, 10:30 AM
c_robio

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
For starters they'd be bat**** crazy to not have MacKinnon and Drouin play together. I'm beyond impressed they selected both of them, now I hope they don't get too cute and not play them
It's tough to break them up but as mentioned by other posters, there is more room at LW on this team than C.

Drouin is better offensively than Hudon, Hudon better defensively, So it does make sense to try Drouin at #2LW

Old
12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Montsy14

Not sure if this was brought up already or not but is huberdeau qmjhl suspension going to affect his ability to play in this tournament?

Old
12-17-2012, 10:45 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_robio View Post
It's tough to break them up but as mentioned by other posters, there is more room at LW on this team than C.

Drouin is better offensively than Hudon, Hudon better defensively, So it does make sense to try Drouin at #2LW
I also think its just plain center depth. They obviously want Jenner and Danault as the bottom 2 centres so it kind of leaves little room for Mackinnon at this point.

I dont really worry though. If lower end guys like Camara and Lipon look out of place (a la Henrique 2010) Mackinnon will be slotted in somewhere. If not, I imagine they still give him the chance to do something

Old
12-17-2012, 10:48 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Not sure if this was brought up already or not but is huberdeau qmjhl suspension going to affect his ability to play in this tournament?
No, he's already "served" 3 of the 4 games and all will be done before Boxing Day.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Orange Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
qft

Old
12-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
No, he's already "served" 3 of the 4 games and all will be done before Boxing Day.
He technically won't even have to miss any games in the Q. So...it's like he was never really suspended, and he doesn't really have to own up to his actions.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
SH15

I've thrown multiple line combos together just for fun and I've made one that really stands out to me that doesn't get much talk. I find moving Scheifele to # 2 C can really open up some options to give us three LETHAL lines, and a 4th line that will incredibly hard to play against:

MacKinnon - RNH - Huberdeau
Drouin - Scheifele - Rattie
Hudon - Strome - Ritchie
Camara - Jenner - Danault
Lipon

I know the first line is likely to be Scheifele/RNH/Huberdeau and that dropping Strome to 3rd centre seems obsurd but man, these lines look pretty lethal to me.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
He technically won't even have to miss any games in the Q. So...it's like he was never really suspended, and he doesn't really have to own up to his actions.
He'll be a wjhc gold medalist and in the NHL when this tourney ends anyways, he has played his last game in junior.

Closed Thread