HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
FakeKidPoker*

vCash: 500
I can't watch sports on a delay..don't know how people do it...got to be live.

But like I said before... I'll only watch the medal round games and the game vs USA and Russia

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I can't watch sports on a delay..don't know how people do it...got to be live.
To me it's as much about analyzing the game and seeing how these guys are doing as it is about the excitement of a live game or scores.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I am happy you picked a PRO franchise to compare to Swiss juniors. Funny thing, those Bern tix are cheaper than buying WJC tix. That means beer and hockey are two things cheaper in Switzerland than Canada. Time to move.

Let's have Switzerland play Norway in a junior game in Zurich. Let's charge 50CHF and watch the arena fill up. Right? Watch the tourney in Russia this month. I cant wait to see all the empty seats in a 4000 seat arena.

I just noticed your location. That would explain your argument to hold their every year in hopes of building something. Federal government employee? Let's hold the Winter Olympics in Jamaica to help promote bobsled.
You're the type who enjoys bringing friends over to play videogames, then makes them watch you play single player aren't you.

Seriously, is this a joke? Are you actually advocating on never sharing a major international hockey tournament.

Hockey itself is a joke fringe sport (which I love nonetheless, but its true) enjoyed by VERY FEW PEOPLE in VERY FEW COUNTRIES. This is why people like you make me laugh when you get all ultra-nationalistic about how good Canada is at filling seats for hockey games...yah that's great except LITERALLY NOONE CARES BUT YOU.

Well that's not entirely true of course, there is strong interest in Europe and a few places elsewhere, but its important we nurture that interest. You think hockey would be anywhere near as popular as it is in the United States if not for that 1980 home gold medal win over the Soviets? Give other countries a chance to experience pride for something they don't typically care about. Watch how big it gets.

Honestly, people like you drive me nuts, stay away from HFboards if all you care about is being able to watch your team at 7:30 PM every night.

FuriousSenator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
You're the type who enjoys bringing friends over to play videogames, then makes them watch you play single player aren't you.

Seriously, is this a joke? Are you actually advocating on never sharing a major international hockey tournament.
I have no video games nor friends.

I am not stating we should never share this tournament. But we are looking at 3 of the next 4 years in Europe. So the biggest market for the WJC can watch games at 3am but at least 2300 Euro fans can watch a live game or 2. Maybe the IIHF will start missing the annual windfall they get from CDN WJC and smarten up.

Tim Horton's will be the big winner, their ads will be seen right before people are getting ready to leave for work.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

Tim Horton's will be the big winner, their ads will be seen right before people are getting ready to leave for work.
I will have my M*l**n wakeup call, then head to Tims at 3:15 to get my coffee, before each Canada game. I'm just hoping there isn't a lineup!

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Honestly, people like you drive me nuts, stay away from HFboards if all you care about is being able to watch your team at 7:30 PM every night.
Except of course when the Leafs are in town, CBC makes sure the games are on at 7 for people in Ontario.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
I am happy you picked a PRO franchise to compare to Swiss juniors. Funny thing, those Bern tix are cheaper than buying WJC tix. That means beer and hockey are two things cheaper in Switzerland than Canada. Time to move.

Let's have Switzerland play Norway in a junior game in Zurich. Let's charge 50CHF and watch the arena fill up. Right? Watch the tourney in Russia this month. I cant wait to see all the empty seats in a 4000 seat arena.
Quote:
I have no video games nor friends.

I am not stating we should never share this tournament. But we are looking at 3 of the next 4 years in Europe. So the biggest market for the WJC can watch games at 3am but at least 2300 Euro fans can watch a live game or 2. Maybe the IIHF will start missing the annual windfall they get from CDN WJC and smarten up.

And we've looked at the past 3/4 years in Canada. You're too short sighted to understand what I'm trying to argue. Sure attendance won't be GREAT first time around..who can blame them..everyone in Europe has been dealing with our current issue for years. Of course interest (and therefore profitability) will be low. These things take time to develop.

Canada didn't LOVE the WJC in the early years...the current frenzy is literally the complete end result of TSN's desperate CFL-style marketing attack which has made the World Juniors equivalent to the birth of Christ.

Canada doesn't care about the WHC which drew more viewers in Russia alone than did the entire Stanley Cup Final last year in N. America. Does that mean it wouldn't be profitable here???

FuriousSenator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
SH15

Quote:
Except of course when the Leafs are in town, CBC makes sure the games are on at 7 for people in Ontario.
Make no mistake, the CBC does not make you play at 4pm for the people in Ontario. They make you play at 4pm for their own advertising revenue. Let's make sure that's clear.

You must know how massive a draw the Toronto Maple Leafs are for CBC. Leafs Nation insanity makes the advertising dollars they get for a 7pm Leafs game more than all other network games that day combined. Tis the CBC's cash cow for certain.

I'm guessing you know this and are just bitter that the Leafs are so massive it makes you play a 4pm game whenever they come to town. I can totally dig it. Would probably piss me off too. But, this is the hockey world we live in.

Go Leafs Go

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Make no mistake, the CBC does not make you play at 4pm for the people in Ontario. They make you play at 4pm for their own advertising revenue. Let's make sure that's clear.

You must know how massive a draw the Toronto Maple Leafs are for CBC. Leafs Nation insanity makes the advertising dollars they get for a 7pm Leafs game more than all other network games that day combined. Tis the CBC's cash cow for certain.

I'm guessing you know this and are just bitter that the Leafs are so massive it makes you play a 4pm game whenever they come to town. I can totally dig it. Would probably piss me off too. But, this is the hockey world we live in.

Go Leafs Go
Your argument is flawed. The reason Advertisers pay so much for that slot on CBC is because so many people from Ontario are watching if the game was at 10PM EST then the advertising slots wouldn't cost as much, thus CBC wouldn't gain as much from them. So yes, you are right it is about the advertising, but your wrong that it isn't about the people watching.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
Your argument is flawed. The reason Advertisers pay so much for that slot on CBC is because so many people from Ontario are watching if the game was at 10PM EST then the advertising slots wouldn't cost as much, thus CBC wouldn't gain as much from them. So yes, you are right it is about the advertising, but your wrong that it isn't about the people watching.
Of course it's in relation to the people watching, that's what determines how much the ads will cost. But the CBC isn't doing it for the people, they're doing it for the $$$.

Trust me, the CBC isn't saying "let's put that Leafs game in Vancouver at 4pm local so people in Ontario can see it."...They don't do it for the people in Ontario. They do it for the dolla dollas, which the viewership in Ontario lets them acheive.

Dude said "CBC makes sure the games are on at 7 for people in Ontario." when it should be "CBC makes sure the games are on at 7 so they can still make insane amounts of money on the ads"

Old
12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
It upsets me to defend Calgary, but are you referring to the most attended WJC ever?
I'm not saying it wasn't attended well. What I'm saying is that you can't go on about empty arenas when there was a few thousand empty for most games in a country that is supposed to the most interested in the game in the world.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't attended well. What I'm saying is that you can't go on about empty arenas when there was a few thousand empty for most games in a country that is supposed to the most interested in the game in the world.
I guess the difference would be one had empy seats in an 18000 seat arena while in Europe half the lower bowl is empty in a 5000 seater.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:50 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
And we've looked at the past 3/4 years in Canada. You're too short sighted to understand what I'm trying to argue.
I think someone is a little full of themselves. I know exactly what you are trying to say, I just think it is nonsense. Holding a premier event in empty arenas to "grow the game" while making sure you make it difficult for you ACTUAL audience to watch isn't a recipe for success.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

Go Leafs Go
Make no mistake? I am not sure what misunderstanding could be had. As for bitter, you are now trying WAY too hard. I don't like going to games at 4, but at least it's always a guaranteed win with more time to celebrate post game.

Maybe the IIHF could learn a lesson from the CBC.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Dude said "CBC makes sure the games are on at 7 for people in Ontario." when it should be "CBC makes sure the games are on at 7 so they can still make insane amounts of money on the ads"
Is there a difference? You seem to be a tad too defensive.

I'd have thought that Leafs fans would be able to stay up till 10 to watch their beloved team.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
I love having a DVR for these reasons.
Me too, but I sort of miss having a VCR, because we used to record the games then bring them into the boardroom at work (with requisite donuts and coffee) for a 2 1/2 hour "meeting".

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Me too, but I sort of miss having a VCR, because we used to record the games then bring them into the boardroom at work (with requisite donuts and coffee) for a 2 1/2 hour "meeting".
Note: in the last 20 years many far better ways have been devised to transport media.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nn View Post
it'll give you a little taste of what its like following the nhl for us europeans
I'm excited to be honest. Nothing like getting up in the wee hours of the morning for a kids tournament to further cement my repuation as a hockey nut amongst those I know.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Well... If I have my usual holiday insomnia I know what I will be doing.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
SH15

Quote:
Is there a difference? You seem to be a tad too defensive.

I'd have thought that Leafs fans would be able to stay up till 10 to watch their beloved team.
Na I'm not defensive, I have nothing to be upset about. If I incorrectly lumped you into the typical west coaster's wah wah we have to play at 4pm because the Leafs are in town crowd, I apologize. So used to hearing Vancouver whine about that whenever it comes up and that's how I read your post.

As for the guaranteed win, that's right. With the lockout I had forgotten how the Canucks were the greatest team in the history of planet Earth to never win a damn thing. Nothing in your rafters but a Stan Smyl here, Trevor Linden there. Yayyyy.

Moving on...

If people seriously won't either tape/PVR the game or get up at 4am to watch it, then they don't care enough about the tournament to have a right to complain that it's not in Canada every year (which is incredibly ignorant to suggest by the way)

It's not about growing the game, it's not about the money. It's about it being a WORLD tournament and having it in different countries all the time! The money factor comes in enough with Canada or Canada Jr (Grand Forks/Buffalo) hosting it every 2 or 3 years.

People, get up at 4am and watch! It's actually pretty fun! (if you love the hockey)

Old
12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
76ftw

best part of being a University Student home for break, don't have to work, don't have to do any school work so I can kind of just realx for two weeks and stay up to watch hockey.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:43 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
I think someone is a little full of themselves. I know exactly what you are trying to say, I just think it is nonsense. Holding a premier event in empty arenas to "grow the game" while making sure you make it difficult for you ACTUAL audience to watch isn't a recipe for success.
It's the IIHF (International) not the CIHF (Canadian). Stop *****ing about the attendance, it's already a joke that Canada hosts as much as they do. Makes people care even less than they already do about this tourney.

Imagine if FIFA held the World Cup in the U.S. every other time, where they undoubtedly have the potential to make the most money in our huge NFL stadiums. It would be nothing compared to the calls of "corruption" after they selected Qatar.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Ryker

Quote:
It's about it being a WORLD tournament and having it in different countries all the time!
Aaaaaaaaaaand we have a winner

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:53 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
As for the guaranteed win, that's right.
It does take the sting off of a 4pm start.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
I guess the difference would be one had empy seats in an 18000 seat arena while in Europe half the lower bowl is empty in a 5000 seater.
As there's actually been no games yet how about you hold off on that statement about a lower bowl in a seater of 5000 until the tournament is actually in progress?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote