*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 08:28 AM
dansk55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
According to London Free Press Sarnia is bidding for Mem Cup along with London, Barrie, and Windsor. I've heard the rumours all along but wondering if that is speculation or if we have formally started the bid process. A concern might be the strength of are team next year with Murphy, Boucher, Galy, Sarault and Anderson all gone. If we are serious then we have some tough decisions to make in the next few weeks.
that is interesting speculation...but bit of a head scratcher to me... if they make a run this year, there is no hope for a cup bid next... and we're not going to get it anyway...ottawa or kitchener will...but hopefully wrong...
if you gut the team this year, you need players in return... not picks. if you stay with what you have, we're rebuilding yet again... it seems it could be all or nothing... and honestly, you don't want to trade ur No. 1 guy again... that his ridiculous. he seems to be coming into his own. And we really don't have any assets to pawn...
once the big 3 leave...who is our goalscorer. While Goldobin has moments ... i don't seem him picking up the slack...while Hargrave will grow... honestly, who else do we have...
i know they were frustrated the last two times they made bids with legitmate teams... don't expect things to be any different for small market clubs.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Sarnia probably hoping NHL does not start up because its appears Galchenyuk and Murphy are NHL ready
One or both gone would be devastating to the Sting,doubt they could hold on to 1st in their division
If the NHL starts up, both of these guys are gone for sure. Boucher is making himself look very attractive to New Jersey as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Don't mean to be overly negative, It would be cool if Sarnia got the bid. But if the team is bleeding money each year like the owners say, how would they be able to come up with a serious plan that ensures the tournament makes its money?

Is it safe to say Galchenyuk is the best player in the league right now? (Griffith would be a close one for this title as well) Every time I look at a scoresheet I see that line with a few points each.
Gally is right now the best player in the league. Mostly because he is the most complete player. The combination of offence and defence he brings to the team has put him above everyone else, and his drive to succeed is unparalleled. Montreal got him as a steal at 3rd. Had he not been injured all of last year, he would have been first overall.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Don't mean to be overly negative, It would be cool if Sarnia got the bid. But if the team is bleeding money each year like the owners say, how would they be able to come up with a serious plan that ensures the tournament makes its money?

Is it safe to say Galchenyuk is the best player in the league right now? (Griffith would be a close one for this title as well) Every time I look at a scoresheet I see that line with a few points each.
Plus it would cost sarnia some big money for upgrades.First thing is the scoreboard would have to be updated.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Plus it would cost sarnia some big money for upgrades.First thing is the scoreboard would have to be updated.
That scoreboard is still one of the best in the league. The only thing that needs updating are the videos they show on it, the music they use, and a new promotions guy. Matt Mcneill (Macneill?) is boring. You would think after doing the exact same 5 promotions and contests every night he wouldn't have to read off of a script anymore.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:57 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
If the NHL starts up, both of these guys are gone for sure. Boucher is making himself look very attractive to New Jersey as well.

Gally is right now the best player in the league. Mostly because he is the most complete player. The combination of offence and defence he brings to the team has put him above everyone else, and his drive to succeed is unparalleled. Montreal got him as a steal at 3rd. Had he not been injured all of last year, he would have been first overall.
Galchenyuk would be gone but Murphy and Boucher would stay. Murphy might get a small taste but he needs more seasoning (specifically his physical game). Boucher is not close to NHl ready. He's struggle at the AHL level right now. He's playing great and improving but he's not ready

Old
12-15-2012, 07:52 PM
mapleleaf979

Galchenyuk has been so darn good lately. VERY impressive. Another 3 points tonight. He is going to runaway with the scoring lead if he keeps this up. He has gained alot of ground in the scoring race in the last month.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Galchenyuk has been so darn good lately. VERY impressive. Another 3 points tonight. He is going to runaway with the scoring lead if he keeps this up. He has gained alot of ground in the scoring race in the last month.
Gali ended with 5 points.his line doing exc.Congrats to Jocko and the sting players for a job well done so far.I am the 1st to admit I didnt think we would be here right now.Goldobin,Chapman,Brown Nikandrov,Saralut,Boucher have impressed me along with Anderson and Murphy.The only 2 disappoints for me so far was Hottot and DeAngelo.Congrats Sting

Old
12-15-2012, 09:53 PM
StungbySting

All I want for Christmas is for JB to make things right with Yakki and for him to return to the Sting after the holidays...then trade for an OA second line center to play with him. Add a d-man and a winger at the deadline and whatch out.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:58 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
All I want for Christmas is for JB to make things right with Yakki and for him to return to the Sting after the holidays...then trade for an OA second line center to play with him. Add a d-man and a winger at the deadline and whatch out.
That would be on heck of a gift from Santa for sure.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
IF that happens, the OHL and memorial cup would almost be a lock. Im sure the KHL pay cheques are a big reason he is there. Id like to see him return too.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:33 PM
getrdone71

I have to disagree with you on the yaki thing. Even tho he is an amazing player and I think he would dominant the ohl if back. This I honestly think this team is 100 percent better this year then last year and they are much better TEAM with out him. They play great together and you have. A strong captain that leads the team on the ice game in and game out never mind all his points just his work ethic alone is amazing.

Just my two cents

Old
12-16-2012, 07:06 PM
dansk55

Quote:
it would be watch out.... next year would be a disaster and rebuidling from scratch yet again. nothing left in the war chest i am afraid.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:13 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Sarnia will be buyers at the deadline or stand pat. They aren't in any position where selling is an option with this season's success. It would take an epic collapse in the second half for a sell off to happen. Tough holiday schedule for Sarnia with Brampton, London twice without Galchenyuk and likely Connor Murphy.

Speaking of Galchenyuk, I wrote an article at The Hockey Writers website on his first half success. Check it out if you want.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:22 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

We should also wish Brett Hargrave luck as he heads to Drummondville, PQ to compete for Team Ontario at the World U17 Hockey Challenge commencing December 29th.

It was at this tournament (in Windsor) that Ryan Kujawinski started his breakout last season so hopeful he returns with more confidence.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:26 AM
highstickside

[QUOTE=dean youngblood82;56615781]Sarnia will be buyers at the deadline or stand pat. They aren't in any position where selling is an option with this season's success. It would take an epic collapse in the second half for a sell off to happen. Tough holiday schedule for Sarnia with Brampton, London twice without Galchenyuk and likely Connor Murphy.

If there is an epic collapse in the second half, it will be too late to sell off. The trade deadline is January 10. After that, ya dance with who brung ya...

Old
12-17-2012, 08:35 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Sarnia will be buyers at the deadline or stand pat. They aren't in any position where selling is an option with this season's success. It would take an epic collapse in the second half for a sell off to happen. Tough holiday schedule for Sarnia with Brampton, London twice without Galchenyuk and likely Connor Murphy.

Speaking of Galchenyuk, I wrote an article at The Hockey Writers website on his first half success. Check it out if you want.
7 games left until trade deadline,Yes a tough schedule ahead.I agree that I think we stay pat or maybe a p/u here or there.Hard to breakup the chemistry we have today

Old
12-17-2012, 12:25 PM
BoxerMax

JB has a difficult choice to make. Do you go for it and give up allot to make a run at it this year, and end up last place next year, or do you sell and build a team for next year and the future?

IMO, if JB could get a top D-man and a top forward to add secondary scoring, I think this team would have to potential for a long playoff run. For that to happen, most likely, Hargrave will be traded as well as DeAngelo, but I would be happy if DeAngelo is moved.

Either way, it is a big decision and no matter what decision he makes, 90% of the fans will complain that it was the wrong decision.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
JB has a difficult choice to make. Do you go for it and give up allot to make a run at it this year, and end up last place next year, or do you sell and build a team for next year and the future?

IMO, if JB could get a top D-man and a top forward to add secondary scoring, I think this team would have to potential for a long playoff run. For that to happen, most likely, Hargrave will be traded as well as DeAngelo, but I would be happy if DeAngelo is moved.

Either way, it is a big decision and no matter what decision he makes, 90% of the fans will complain that it was the wrong decision.
giving away hargraves is a lesson in futility. Didn't work last year, and probably won't this time either. if you make a run for the cup, and that would be risky venture, you have an OA spot open, move Tony upfront and add some scoring. Defensively, we're pretty good... Basso is our only liability. We have potentially so many OAs for next year, kick a defensive one out now and get something for the future. If you're not using the czech, trade, or moving him to Jr. B. Having him sit in the stands is doing nothing for anyone.
Personally, JB is trying to get as many points up before the last minute sell and hopefully sneak in to the playoffs. If you trade JP, you might as well get rid of the rest too.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:59 PM
wings5

Just came to ask why is Galchenyuk playing on the wing? I thought his natural position is center which fits him best going forward.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post

Agree with most of the above. Hargrave is a tough decision.DeAngelo hasnt did much except for running his mouth and loosing the puck.As for the fans,Sting has a pretty exciting team to watch and is doing well and the fans still arent showing up.IMO i am impressed with how much JB has been able to get from these kids.I was also the first one to nag about JB and the sting organization earlier in the year but will praise them for now

Old
12-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Just came to ask why is Galchenyuk playing on the wing? I thought his natural position is center which fits him best going forward.
That was done in order to keep him and Sarault on the same line. Gally, being the obviously more skilled one, would adapt to playing the wing much better than Sarault would. Doesn't seem to be hurting him any, in fact I think it's helped him, especially when he gets the chance to play on his off wing, he becomes even more dangerous.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:15 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
That was done in order to keep him and Sarault on the same line. Gally, being the obviously more skilled one, would adapt to playing the wing much better than Sarault would. Doesn't seem to be hurting him any, in fact I think it's helped him, especially when he gets the chance to play on his off wing, he becomes even more dangerous.
Galchenyuk has also stated that he is as comfortable or more playing the wing.

As for all this DeAngelo hate....it's getting out of control around here. I understand that he has a temper and needs to clean up his attitude but his talent is rare. If Sarnia decides to ship out DeAngelo, they best be getting back a very good proven piece. DeAngelo will NEVER be a defensive stalwart, it's not in his style of game. Sure, he can improve in that area and that will come with time as he realizes it improvements are important to his hockey future. Let's remember that he is young and not even draft eligible until next year. He played in this league for a reason as a 16 year old.

For everyone that is hating on DeAngelo, you must remember that he is an important piece to this team's offense. Sure, he can sometimes make smarter decisions with the puck (mostly, making the easy pass when presented rather than trying to dangle at the blueline) but he is also second in scoring from the Sting's blueline with 19 points in 31 games. That puts him on pace for almost 40 points as a sophomore 17-year old. There were only about 10 defensemen in the OHL last season that produced at that pace last season and none of them were as young as DeAngelo.

His game comes with its flaws, but in no way should DeAngelo be throwing this kid in any sort of trade. Let up on him. I'm tired of sitting in the stands overhearing fans moan about him on plays when he actually makes the right decision. It's becoming evident that complaining about "something" is what many Sting fans go to the rink for.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:32 AM
StungbySting

I think the one thing everyone seems to forget about DeAngelo is his age. People have a hrd time remembering he is only 16 years old even though this is his second season in the OHL. I agree he can be frustrating to watch at times, but he is one of the best pure skaters in the OHL. No doubt he needs to increase his hockey IQ and I think that will happen if he starts to make the short passes instead of trying to go for the homerun everytime. If the Sting do decide to move DeAngelo it means they are going all in and should get a decent return (2nd line OA center and a top 4 stay at home d-man).

Old
12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I think the one thing everyone seems to forget about DeAngelo is his age. People have a hrd time remembering he is only 16 years old even though this is his second season in the OHL. I agree he can be frustrating to watch at times, but he is one of the best pure skaters in the OHL. No doubt he needs to increase his hockey IQ and I think that will happen if he starts to make the short passes instead of trying to go for the homerun everytime. If the Sting do decide to move DeAngelo it means they are going all in and should get a decent return (2nd line OA center and a top 4 stay at home d-man).
The funny thing about many trade predictions is you knock the kid at every turn and then expect a king's ransom back? It doesn't work like that.....the flaws you see contribute to driving potential value back, down as well....opposing teams also see the warts.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:14 AM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Galchenyuk has also stated that he is as comfortable or more playing the wing.

As for all this DeAngelo hate....it's getting out of control around here. I understand that he has a temper and needs to clean up his attitude but his talent is rare. If Sarnia decides to ship out DeAngelo, they best be getting back a very good proven piece. DeAngelo will NEVER be a defensive stalwart, it's not in his style of game. Sure, he can improve in that area and that will come with time as he realizes it improvements are important to his hockey future. Let's remember that he is young and not even draft eligible until next year. He played in this league for a reason as a 16 year old.

For everyone that is hating on DeAngelo, you must remember that he is an important piece to this team's offense. Sure, he can sometimes make smarter decisions with the puck (mostly, making the easy pass when presented rather than trying to dangle at the blueline) but he is also second in scoring from the Sting's blueline with 19 points in 31 games. That puts him on pace for almost 40 points as a sophomore 17-year old. There were only about 10 defensemen in the OHL last season that produced at that pace last season and none of them were as young as DeAngelo.

His game comes with its flaws, but in no way should DeAngelo be throwing this kid in any sort of trade. Let up on him. I'm tired of sitting in the stands overhearing fans moan about him on plays when he actually makes the right decision. It's becoming evident that complaining about "something" is what many Sting fans go to the rink for.
Completely agree! The lad just turned 17! Let him mature a bit.

Closed Thread