HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL Talk (2013 Edition)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
  #51
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Flacco is unbelievably terrible. I hope they can replace him this offseason. Great running back, great receivers, above average o-line and a defense that has given them tons of chances today, and Flacco is overthrowing wide open receivers, fumbling and throwing easy picks.

Put the backup in for the second half for all I care.
Wonder what's up with Flacco this year? In his first three years in the NFL, he showed steady progression. Last year was a bit of a setback although he posted some solid numbers. Was a good QB - top 10-12 in the league. NOt elite, but with the team Baltimore had around him, he didn't need to be elite to win a SuperBowl, just good.

Is it a nagging injury? Something mental? Game preparedness?

Regardless, if they go with someone else it can't be a rookie in the 2013 draft. They need to dip their hands in the free agent pool. Maybe someone like Alex Smith who is reported to be available (although I hope the Vikings snag him). Baltimore is in win-now mode. That defense is not getting any younger. For that matter, they are no longer dominant (top 5 in the NFL).

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
  #52
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
With AP's performance in St. Louis today, he has to be the frontrunner for MVP.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
  #53
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,994
vCash: 4785
ESPN Stats & Information
Quote:
J.J. Watt finished with three sacks on Sunday against the Colts, and had six plays overall tackling a Colt for a loss (10.5 percent of Indianapolis’ total plays from scrimmage). Watt now has 34.5 disrupted dropbacks this season (sacks + passes defensed + interceptions), 15 more than the next-closest player (Aldon Smith). Watt has disrupted 5.9 percent of dropbacks faced by Houston’s defense, with no other player higher than 4.0 percent.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:21 PM
  #54
ps241
atta boy JMo
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
ESPN Stats & Information
Not sure if you saw the bio on him before Monday night football last week about the family he visited in the hospital. anyways I gained huge off field respect for the guy after watching the piece. You always hear about the f#%^ ups in pro sports so it's good when they take time to show some of the cool things that the good guys like J.J. Are doing.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:25 PM
  #55
ps241
atta boy JMo
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
The Chargers game just started and I already don't want to watch anymore.
hammer what happened to Alexander? I was going to start him today but decided to go with the line up that got me to a first place regular season finish. Not that it mattered since I started Wayne and Cruz who both stunk it up big time, thank god the guy I played had a bad day and oh te I have that Peterson guy.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:27 PM
  #56
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
Adam Lowry fan club
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
hammer what happened to Alexander? I was going to start him today but decided to go with the line up that got me to a first place regular season finish. Not that it mattered since I started Wayne and Cruz who both stunk it up big time, thank god the guy I played had a bad day and oh te I have that Peterson guy.
I stopped paying attention near the end of the first half. The entire team was horrible today. Rivers was bad and the offensive line was bad. The o-line is working on backups to the backups because everyone's injured. Rivers fumbling and losing the ball on his 2nd throw of the game was so bad it was funny. Nobody was even around him.

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
  #57
razorsedge
West Town Sports
 
razorsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Sask, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
My fantasy football season ended today in all four of my leagues. Thanks to both Mannings laying an egg (Peyton fantasy points wise). To top it off my Giants drop to third in the NFC East.

Adrian Peterson is not human.

razorsedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
  #58
ps241
atta boy JMo
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,657
vCash: 500
Ok how impressive is this patriot comeback?

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:15 AM
  #59
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Totally lost
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Wonder what's up with Flacco this year? In his first three years in the NFL, he showed steady progression. Last year was a bit of a setback although he posted some solid numbers. Was a good QB - top 10-12 in the league. NOt elite, but with the team Baltimore had around him, he didn't need to be elite to win a SuperBowl, just good.

Is it a nagging injury? Something mental? Game preparedness?

Regardless, if they go with someone else it can't be a rookie in the 2013 draft. They need to dip their hands in the free agent pool. Maybe someone like Alex Smith who is reported to be available (although I hope the Vikings snag him). Baltimore is in win-now mode. That defense is not getting any younger. For that matter, they are no longer dominant (top 5 in the NFL).
Smith would be a great pickup for them if he inherited the teams Flacco has had in the past few years - going forward though I think they need something more than a game manager. It's unfortunate but they may have missed their window of opportunity. The defense is aging badly and the last few years were their best years as a team. I don't really know what they should do though. I just know I was swearing a lot and wearing my Ravens shirt with some bitterness the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Ok how impressive is this patriot comeback?
The weird thing is they never seemed out of it. That's not to say I'm a gushing Patriots fan (I'm the opposite), just that SF couldn't finish drives early on when they earned the opportunities but capitalized when the Patriots had some ridiculous turnovers. I mean the fumble that popped straight up in the air and was ran back immediately, the interception that bounced off like 3 players before SF caught it, even the fact that SF fumbled themselves multiple times and kept recovering it, including for a touchdown on that botched snap. Never really seemed like SF was dominating the way the scoreboard indicated or that the luck wouldn't turn around at any moment.

Ugly game but incredibly entertaining. Kind of reminded me of that Jets vs Flyers (9-8?) game last year.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:49 AM
  #60
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,994
vCash: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Not sure if you saw the bio on him before Monday night football last week about the family he visited in the hospital. anyways I gained huge off field respect for the guy after watching the piece. You always hear about the f#%^ ups in pro sports so it's good when they take time to show some of the cool things that the good guys like J.J. Are doing.
Agreed. Doesn't even surprise me though, he's an absolute class act, and does that kind of stuff frequently and was drafted as more of a "character guy".

Which inspired this genius piece of writing following the draft. I don't know if anyone has ever been more wrong in their life.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:13 AM
  #61
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,155
vCash: 500
Let's not forget the most important thing....JJ Watt is a (WPG) JETS FAN! Regularly tweets about Jets (I think I heard that) and often talks about the Jets...instantly made him my favourite defensive player in the league, probably tied as favourite player now after Martin's emergence on my favourite team, but still the guy is a class act, perhaps the most talented player in the league, and a hockey/Wpg Jets fan...yep, if I were to get any NFL merch (which is likely soon), it'll be a Watt jersey for sure!

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:45 AM
  #62
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,994
vCash: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Let's not forget the most important thing....JJ Watt is a (WPG) JETS FAN! Regularly tweets about Jets (I think I heard that) and often talks about the Jets...instantly made him my favourite defensive player in the league, probably tied as favourite player now after Martin's emergence on my favourite team, but still the guy is a class act, perhaps the most talented player in the league, and a hockey/Wpg Jets fan...yep, if I were to get any NFL merch (which is likely soon), it'll be a Watt jersey for sure!
Yupp, also true.

Huge hockey fan, it's no surprise he wears 99.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:40 AM
  #63
ps241
atta boy JMo
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Agreed. Doesn't even surprise me though, he's an absolute class act, and does that kind of stuff frequently and was drafted as more of a "character guy".

Which inspired this genius piece of writing following the draft. I don't know if anyone has ever been more wrong in their life.
Baldwin wrote a bold article and proved why he needs to keep writing about football from a safe place while the real minds make the draft selections. in fairness Fairly looked very food in his last collage year but this is a living example of why drafting for charcter (Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Yuen. Kosmo) is not a bad strategy IMHO. When it's blended with talent and work ethic it can be a lethal combination.

The story on Monday night football was of Watt going in a hospital visit as a rookie and before hand he bought a bunch of texans gear (not knowing the team provides it ). long story short he meets three kids who lost "both parents" in a horrific car crash. On top of that two of the boys are paralyzed and in wheel chairs and JJ is pretty moved by the story and he befriends the kids. Fast forward to this season and JJ is still really involved in the kids lives. They have since moved in with their aunt and uncle and JJ is a regular around the house.....he hangs out and plays basketball with the boys who are still in wheel chairs but seem to have surprisingly upbeat attitudes. In one of JJ's sack celebrations he did a wheel chair motion for the boys. Sometimes these bios can be corny but this one was really uplifting and showed why JJ is an amazing young man.

I thought he was off the charts as a football player bedore i saw the bio but now i am a bigGer fan of him as a person.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
  #64
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
ESPN Stats & Information
JJ Watt is a big Winnipeg Jets fan

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
  #65
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,013
vCash: 500
I'm impressed that the Patriots managed to storm back and make a game of it, although I wasn't completely surprised either. Once they give Brady free reign to go no-huddle and call his plays at the line, he can just shred defenses. Also helped that the 49ers decided to sit back in soft zone coverage.

Sucks that their chances of a bye have basically vanished, and now they'll probably have to win in Houston and Denver to get to the SB.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
  #66
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Well they've already beat both teams and blew out Houstan so I'm not too worried. Of course anything can happen. I bet Brady was pissed as his d for letting sf get the winning td after he put up four td drives in a row

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
  #67
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,351
vCash: 500
Go Broncos!

That is all.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
  #68
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Let's not forget the most important thing....JJ Watt is a (WPG) JETS FAN! Regularly tweets about Jets (I think I heard that) and often talks about the Jets...instantly made him my favourite defensive player in the league, probably tied as favourite player now after Martin's emergence on my favourite team, but still the guy is a class act, perhaps the most talented player in the league, and a hockey/Wpg Jets fan...yep, if I were to get any NFL merch (which is likely soon), it'll be a Watt jersey for sure!
Wonder how a guy who plays football in the deep south becomes a fan of the Winnipeg Jets? Interesting, nonetheless.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
  #69
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,994
vCash: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Wonder how a guy who plays football in the deep south becomes a fan of the Winnipeg Jets? Interesting, nonetheless.
He's from Wisconsin, that's likely why. Also played hockey as a kid, went into football as it was cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Baldwin wrote a bold article and proved why he needs to keep writing about football from a safe place while the real minds make the draft selections. in fairness Fairly looked very food in his last collage year but this is a living example of why drafting for charcter (Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Yuen. Kosmo) is not a bad strategy IMHO. When it's blended with talent and work ethic it can be a lethal combination.

The story on Monday night football was of Watt going in a hospital visit as a rookie and before hand he bought a bunch of texans gear (not knowing the team provides it ). long story short he meets three kids who lost "both parents" in a horrific car crash. On top of that two of the boys are paralyzed and in wheel chairs and JJ is pretty moved by the story and he befriends the kids. Fast forward to this season and JJ is still really involved in the kids lives. They have since moved in with their aunt and uncle and JJ is a regular around the house.....he hangs out and plays basketball with the boys who are still in wheel chairs but seem to have surprisingly upbeat attitudes. In one of JJ's sack celebrations he did a wheel chair motion for the boys. Sometimes these bios can be corny but this one was really uplifting and showed why JJ is an amazing young man.

I thought he was off the charts as a football player bedore i saw the bio but now i am a bigGer fan of him as a person.
Here's the vid:

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
  #70
Duir
Registered Bunk
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
He's from Wisconsin, that's likely why. Also played hockey as a kid, went into football as it was cheaper.



Here's the vid:
You know, I live in a world that gives constant ****** news, but thank you for that. Things like that make it all seem worth it.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  #71
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Totally lost
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 50
To reinforce my earlier point about SF being extremely lucky, I looked up the stats: SF had 6 fumbles but recovered 5 of them (including one for a touchdown on a broken play), NE had 2 fumbles and lost both. Add to that the ridiculous special teams numbers and there you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Well they've already beat both teams and blew out Houstan so I'm not too worried. Of course anything can happen. I bet Brady was pissed as his d for letting sf get the winning td after he put up four td drives in a row
I bet his D was pissed at the offense for their 2 lost fumbles and 2 interceptions and at the special teams for losing the field position battle all night (check out the return yards, not to mention that last TD came the first play after a huge return). Not the NE D's fault.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  #72
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm impressed that the Patriots managed to storm back and make a game of it, although I wasn't completely surprised either. Once they give Brady free reign to go no-huddle and call his plays at the line, he can just shred defenses. Also helped that the 49ers decided to sit back in soft zone coverage.

Sucks that their chances of a bye have basically vanished, and now they'll probably have to win in Houston and Denver to get to the SB.
I was rooting hard for SF. I really did't want the Broncos travelling to play at NE.

Good job 9ers.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
  #73
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Not that it wasn't official before, but the Bills-Toronto series was a giant flop. Yesterday was the icing on the cake. Only 40,000 (several of which I'm sure were freebies) showed up in a 54,000 seat stadium at reduced ticket prices (avg. $99).

This series has been great for the Bills. For Rogers and Toronto, not so much.

There won't be any NFL team moving to southern Ontario in the forseeable future, if ever.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
  #74
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,994
vCash: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I was rooting hard for SF. I really did't want the Broncos travelling to play at NE.

Good job 9ers.
That's what I thought as well.

Texans need one more win to lock the #1 seed, which I think is fairly easy as the last two games are the vikes and the colts.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
  #75
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,406
vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Not that it wasn't official before, but the Bills-Toronto series was a giant flop. Yesterday was the icing on the cake. Only 40,000 (several of which I'm sure were freebies) showed up in a 54,000 seat stadium at reduced ticket prices (avg. $99).

This series has been great for the Bills. For Rogers and Toronto, not so much.

There won't be any NFL team moving to southern Ontario in the forseeable future, if ever.
It wasn't a giant flop for the Seahawks! Man did they crush the Bills. Russell Wilson has impressed me everytime I see him play. A rookie QB who is so calm and dynamic

I cant wait to see them play the 9ers! Should be a great game

Yes the NFL will not be moving to southern Ontario. There just isnt enough football support in general in the province Ontario. From my experience and traveling with work through Toronto and partying on the weekend with people from T.O., Windsor and other areas that there is much more interest in the NFL then CFl but not even close enough to warrent a team there.
Actually 40k sold is not to shabby looking at the Argos they averaged only 23k a game this season but I guess the one NFL game is more of an anomaly as it is only one game


Last edited by Ziggy66: 12-17-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.