HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 01:22 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
I would not be mad at all if Ullstrom became a Bergenheim clone. A big third liner with wheels who has grit.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:43 PM
NYI78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
agree with all this.

Watching some highlights on Nelson and you can't help but be impressed with his game. Good stick skills, drives the net, great size and skating - I think he'll be a very good NHL player.

Bit disappointed with Ullstrom and Cizikas, I'd thought they'd take their game up a notch, neither have. I still expect Cizikas to be a good pro, bottom six guy. I see Ullstrom and a Bergenheim clone though, not enough offense, vision despite good wheels and solid effort. But there's time. Way to early to give up on the kid.
ullstrom and cizikas have both been banged up all year with nagging injuries...i think they will be fine once they can stay healthy

Old
12-17-2012, 02:13 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I would not be mad at all if Ullstrom became a Bergenheim clone. A big third liner with wheels who has grit.
No offense to Bergenheim, but I think Ullstrom has better hands. Depending on whom his wingers are (maybe Sundstrom and Persson), I could see Ullstrom score 20+ goals on a regular basis in the NHL.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
No offense to Bergenheim, but I think Ullstrom has better hands. Depending on whom his wingers are (maybe Sundstrom and Persson), I could see Ullstrom score 20+ goals on a regular basis in the NHL.
ullstrom has very good hands..i would agree with this

Old
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
ullstrom has very good hands..i would agree with this
interesting.

I never saw that ability in the NHL, mind you, it was only a brief stint. Seems to lack the hockeyIQ to be an offensive threat in the NHL even though he's got the speed, size and hands to play in the NHL.

That may come in time though.

Players with size and speed and hands have the POTENTIAL to create time/space for themselves. Some are better than others and some "get it" faster than others.

I like Ullstrom. He fills a need on the Islanders, if he can make it and play consistently.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
StumpNYI

I never really got the Ullstrom hype. At least Bergenheim appeared to be a better player then what he really was (because of his skating and aggressiveness) if that makes any sense. Ullstrom wasn't very noticeable to me in the NHL. Need to see more I guess.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
interesting.

I never saw that ability in the NHL, mind you, it was only a brief stint. Seems to lack the hockeyIQ to be an offensive threat in the NHL even though he's got the speed, size and hands to play in the NHL.

That may come in time though.

Players with size and speed and hands have the POTENTIAL to create time/space for themselves. Some are better than others and some "get it" faster than others.

I like Ullstrom. He fills a need on the Islanders, if he can make it and play consistently.
I think that Ullstrom has shown a small sample that he has the tools to be an effective NHL forward. In fact, he was our second fastest skater behind Grabs. With that speed and being 6'3", he could be a very steady 3rd line all zone player, or at worst, an upgrade 4th liner.
Bergenheim had more pressure to produce being that he was the #22 O/A pick in 2003, and last season he showed that he might be a late bloomer, unfortunately for Florida.
I like the all zone ability of Ullstrom and believe that he might be a real staple on an all Swede 3rd line with Sundstrom and Persson.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:07 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
Ullstrom has a good shot to go along with the rest of his physical tools, but he hasn't been consistent enough for me to believe that he can be a top six forward in the NHL. I think Ullstrom along with a pick can be dealt for an young, borderline, top four defenseman. Garth has shown he can find diamonds in the rough who can benefit from increased icetime and responsibility. I think he would be available considering our prospect depth at forward but would be skeptical to give up on such a big kid at such a young age. I believe his performance in the AHL this year will dictate whether he will be in our future plans or not, but first he needs to get healthy and stay healthy.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
leaponover

Funny how fickle fans can get. The GREAT thing about Ulstrom was easily the fact that he looked like he fit in when he was in the lineup. He did all the little things right, rarely made mistakes, and was solid. For a rookie, that speaks volumes on potential. I am not worried about him at all. When you are doing all the little things right automatically it allows you to focus on the things that will lift you to the next level. I'm not saying he's going to be a star but I also see no reason why he can't get regular time on a third or fourth line especially with the lack of depth the Isles have at the NHL level. I'm not worried about him at all....

Old
12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50

Old
12-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Hipster Doofus

Bergy had decent hands, not reliable though against quality players. His first nhl goal was a shorty breakaway where he undressed some pitt dman in stride. Ullstrom has a nice shot and smooth hands. Not a buzzsaw forechecker but i like his skillset and approach. I don see himas a sure shot for 20 but i can see him having some years where does.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:22 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
That second goal. He needs to show more of that. Exactly what this team needs.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:23 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post

The second goal of that Hat Trick is what I'm most excited about with Ullstrom, it showed speed, strength AND hands. I truly feel he can be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL.

The 1st NHL goal showed confidence in his shot, loved that one.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Not sure if anyone has pointed out that Bergenheim was a 1st round pick and Ullstrom was, what, a 3rd rounder? At that point in the draft, you're doing well if you get a regular 3rd/4th liner.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:41 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The second goal of that Hat Trick is what I'm most excited about with Ullstrom, it showed speed, strength AND hands. I truly feel he can be a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL.

The 1st NHL goal showed confidence in his shot, loved that one.
I would have described it as having a pair. But that works too.

Take Bailey for example, he has all of those things (Speed, Strength, Hands) but he would go for the pass before making an attempt to get a good shot off on net. Afraid of being knocked on his ass? Ullstrom sure didn't show that on that goal. Killer instinct. Besides JT and Martin, I can't think of anyone else who does it regularly. Nino shows potential in that regard as well.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
But doesn't take a bad penalty every single game.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Isles Junkie

AHL Shootouts are best of 5??? Has it always been this way?

Old
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
AHL Shootouts are best of 5??? Has it always been this way?

Poulin looked good in the shootout....Hopfully his knee is 100%....

Old
12-19-2012, 05:28 AM
BillD

ANY word on when Kabanov will be back? Is he skating, taking contact?

Old
12-19-2012, 05:38 AM
BillD

This is well needed to support our young developing forward group and take the burden of leading at 19 off their shoulders. I hope these two are ready for the higher level so they and McDonald can lead and teach. Could use some solid defensive help also.

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Dec. 18, 2012) – The Bridgeport Sound Tigers announced today they have signed forwards Chad Costello and Jack Combs to professional tryout contracts (PTOs).

Costello, 26, earns his first AHL stint of the 2012-13 season after appearing in 27 games with the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL. The Johnston, IA native currently leads the ECHL in both points (49) and assists (35), and was named ECHL MVP last season with 76 points (29 goals, 47 assists) in just 47 games with the Eagles. Costello has appeared in 19 career AHL games and has recorded five assists.

{MOD EDIT: Link Added as required}
http://www.soundtigers.com/ViewArtic...CLID=205834861

Last edited by Homeland Security: 12-19-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Link added.
Old
12-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
This is well needed to support our young developing forward group and take the burden of leading at 19 off their shoulders. I hope these two are ready for the higher level so they and McDonald can lead and teach. Could use some solid defensive help also.

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Dec. 18, 2012) – The Bridgeport Sound Tigers announced today they have signed forwards Chad Costello and Jack Combs to professional tryout contracts (PTOs).

Costello, 26, earns his first AHL stint of the 2012-13 season after appearing in 27 games with the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL. The Johnston, IA native currently leads the ECHL in both points (49) and assists (35), and was named ECHL MVP last season with 76 points (29 goals, 47 assists) in just 47 games with the Eagles. Costello has appeared in 19 career AHL games and has recorded five assists.

{MOD EDIT: Link Added as required}
http://www.soundtigers.com/ViewArtic...CLID=205834861
It'd be wonderful if both these guys could at least perform like Howes and Mouillierat did last year, much less like Combs in Worcester.

The team really should have gone into the season with a bit more proven 'veteran' blood up front than just MacDonald and Watkins.

Costello is just a little tyke and he's really been around the block.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 12-19-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Fixed QP
Old
12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Me either, especially being that I've been pissed we didn't hold on to Bergenheim ever since we let him go. Go figure he ended up being one of the better playoff performers of the past two seasons

I loved what I saw from Ullstrom last season, he made a noticeable impact for our 3rd/4th line situation when he was in the lineup. I definitely see 20 goal scorer potential in him.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:49 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Me either, especially being that I've been pissed we didn't hold on to Bergenheim ever since we let him go. Go figure he ended up being one of the better playoff performers of the past two seasons

I loved what I saw from Ullstrom last season, he made a noticeable impact for our 3rd/4th line situation when he was in the lineup. I definitely see 20 goal scorer potential in him.
ehhhh. It dosnt pay to get overly worked up over it. He was never going to put us over the top. Value wise he priced himself off the Island. It was a gamble at the time whether or not he was going to take that next step as he stalled his development here. That coupled with his asking price for the last set of negoitaions lead to his moving on. SOme players need a new environment to take that next step.

I was a big Bergenhiem and Nokelinen fan for a while and was sad to see them go but it happens in this league. That is how we go Grabner and Moulson. It just takes something else for them to take it to the next level.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post

Would you also have liked to see the Isles signhim to the deal he eventually got from Florida??

Old
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Not sure if anyone has pointed out that Bergenheim was a 1st round pick and Ullstrom was, what, a 3rd rounder? At that point in the draft, you're doing well if you get a regular 3rd/4th liner.
Id you got a scrub nhlr in the 1st round in the 90s to 2002 you did well. Those first roubds are just busts and no odies for everyteam.

Closed Thread