HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

ONLINE HOCKEY RETAILERS - Reviews, Feedback, and Coupon Codes

Old
11-04-2012, 11:52 PM
wondeROY

vCash: 500
ONLINE HOCKEY RETAILERS - Reviews, Feedback, and Coupon Codes

MOD EDIT:

Let's make this thread a catch-all for online retailers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at some equipment that I can't find on the normal sites, but found it on hockeyworldDOTcom, but never used this site. Are they legit, anyone purchased from them?
Thanks all

Last edited by Jarick: 11-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.
wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:40 AM
coyotesfan

yes i believe hockeyworld is peranis.If its the same they are big in michigan

coyotesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:26 AM
shoeshine boy

hockeyworld and Perani's are indeed the same. good retailers who have some unbelievable clearance deals. order with confidence.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:01 AM
17of26

Online stores for hockey equipment

Based on this thread, I thought it might be a good idea to compile a list of online stores that people have been happy with. Here's what I've used in the past:

Ice Warehouse : Limited selection, but really good prices on what they do have. Free shipping on orders over $49; free two day shipping on orders over $249. Save 10% on all orders if you join their IWIN club (basically amounts to buying a t-shirt and signing up for emails). My first place to go for any purchase.

Hockey Monkey/Goalie Monkey : Huge selection, good prices. However, I've found that you usually have to pay for shipping.

Hockey Gear : Free shipping on orders over $99. It's a smaller store, so I think the prices are higher than average. However, I was once able to find a piece of gear here that was sold out at the bigger stores.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've only ordered from Hockey Monkey, twice, only time I've ordered online. The first time, the order got lost by our stoner UPS guy. They were pretty decent to deal with and took the insurance hit and refunded my cash after a week of phone calls. Second time, I got my Mission backpack on clearance and it was shipped to my house in 2-3 days. Very happy.

I actually have retail stores of Hockey Giant and Total Hockey locally. Hockey Giant is like someone put a warehouse worth of stuff on the shelves. Lots of older stuff, not a huge selection after the first few months. Not great prices. I mean they have old Darcy Tucker XN10 pro stocks (awful curve and way too stiff) that they want $150 for. I've been looking at those sticks for six years now!

Total Hockey is a very clean store with a great selection of newer gear. Tons and tons of stuff in stock. I think they centralize clearance stuff after a while because they don't have old crap on the shelves.

For interface, I love Ice Warehouse because they have great videos on all the stuff. I've always meant to order from them, but I have a good selection locally at similar prices. Total Hockey is a close second, I like their website. Hockey Monkey is pretty awful to navigate but have the best prices.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:34 AM
JR97

concur. excellent retailer. i've used them many a time.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I merged these two...we've had threads in the past but we can use this one going forward.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
shoeshine boy

Hockey Monkey has a great selection but they need to figure out a better way to keep their online inventory in real-time. just about any time I order something from them on clearance I fully expect to receive a phone call the next day telling me that my item is out of stock.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM
17of26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
Hockey Monkey has a great selection but they need to figure out a better way to keep their online inventory in real-time. just about any time I order something from them on clearance I fully expect to receive a phone call the next day telling me that my item is out of stock.
I also hate the fact that items will show up in a search on their site but then when you click on the item to view its details it says "out of stock". It shouldn't show up in the search in the first place!

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Both excellent points. That's happened to me too.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
youthoftoday

Hockey Monkey definitely has the best prices, but when you factor in shipping, Ice Warehouse's prices are pretty much the same when you get free shipping. When I started playing last year, I ordered most of my gear from IW. The site is easier to navigate and the videos are helpful. Plus, if something is out of stock or back ordered, the site tells you when they expect it back in stock.
I've never ordered from Total Hockey, but their prices seem pretty much inline with IW and they offer free shipping over $75.

I'm lucky in the fact that I have a pro shop about a mile from my house. I love the guy who owns it, but he doesn't have a huge selection and his prices are higher than these online stores. Still, I like to support the small business owner. I end up getting most of my son's gear there.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Anyone have good recommendations for online retailers in Canada? In the past I've ordered from Cyclone Taylor, just wondering if there's another place I should be comparing prices with.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
I am a hockey buying enthusiast so there is my input:

Hockeymonkey.com, great site, great deals and they always have a coupon. They don't have as many sick deal as hockey giant but their site is the most organized of them all. Order with confidence, A, Edit: one gripe: they never updated their products, every once in a while i will click items and it will say "sold out".. how about you update it then and pull it off the site?

Hockeygiant.com, just needs to fix their site up, i just don’t like it. Products are very solid, decent price and have a lot of coupons.
A+

epuck, used them years ago.. prices are steep but if they do not have your product, they used to call me and tell me what else is comparable for my liking.
B+

Totalhockey.com, solid prices but they essentially lost my business. I have used them once and this is what happened. I made an order for $119 bucks. They charged my card for that, and hit my card with two more random charges of 98 bucks and 105. Their customer service is BRUTAL, might be the worst i've seen yet in retail. It took them 5 days and the guy i was dealing with kept telling me he did something and it should be ok, then the next day he would say the same thing, ect.. it was annoying and unprofessional because he actually wasn’t doing anything. I would not use them, they don’t know what they are doing.

peranis is amazing but they are past their time. They are over-priced in their store and online and everything you can find there, you can find elsewhere for cheaper. Sorry, i know i should support a local Michigan based business but their costs are brutal. they were selling 3 year old inline skates for $400 still.. it's a joke.

Use hockeymoney or hockeygiant.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Ozz

Such is the story with nearly all brick-and-mortar stores...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
redbranch

I love hockeymonkey, but I have the benefit of being 20 min away from their NJ store. I can shop online, and go get it, or ship it if I'm lazy.

I've had very good experiences with their staff overall. Yes, there are some kids who work there who are just punching a clock, but there are more than a few who work their who know my son by sight, remember what he's bought from there before, and intercept us as we walk in.

The only negative I really have is that I got my new skates sharpened there, and it wasn't pretty

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
TrillMike

I've used hockeymonkey and giant previously. Never had an issue with either. Luckily I don't live too far away from the Perani's in Texas. After I registered for USA Hockey, I received a 30% off coupon code for Totalhockey. I haven't used it yet.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
SCBruCrew4

Local store to the New England area ia www.purehockey.com Usually they have some good sales. As of now, they are having a big sale on sticks and gloves. All sizes and it's 50% the already clearance price.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:39 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Local store to the New England area ia www.purehockey.com Usually they have some good sales. As of now, they are having a big sale on sticks and gloves. All sizes and it's 50% the already clearance price.
Just ordered a pair of x60 pro gloves from their site on clearance yesterday, but since they have not shipped yet I am expecting to get the dreaded out of stock email. They do have some sweet custom navy x7.0s with a little red running through them that I might pick up if these are gone.

Agree with everyone on Hockey Monkey, great prices but stuff that they say is available is frequently out of stock. It has kind of made me shy away from them b/c I get real excited about the great deal I'm getting only to be disappointed the next day when I get that out of stock email.

My local shops in Chicagoland are Total Hockey and Gunzos. Total Hockey has the better selection, but Gunzos blows them out of the water for service. TH has a great website and Guznos' site is a joke.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkEye View Post
HockeyMonkey - Site is really nice and neat unless you want to get something on clearance then good luck. I love their mystery stick deals. Shipping is fast since I'm in the West Coast. Ground shipping = overnight for me.

HockeyGiant - The site is a mess and being on the West Coast sometimes stuff will come from Minny or East Coast. You can never tell so shipping could be anywhere from 2-5 days.

IceWarehouse - Site is easy to navigate and they'll show you what is in stock and it is pretty accurate as far as I can tell. I actually think it's updated real time. Also, if you're in California it's free overnight shipping.

PureHockey - Took advantage of their sale last week and shipping took about 5 days. Site is easy to navigate and their staff responds to emails rather quickly.

HockeyTron - Looks like someone used Geocities to design the site or something. Would rather go to their retail store about 1.5 hours away. I only get visors from them.
Bought a bag off of them. Actually surprised me with the quality and it was really cheap. Wouldn't order their own equipment(except maybe gloves) but they have good prices and there is always a 20% coupon out there.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:48 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Ice Warehouse's iWin program is now 15% but not applicable to MAP items anymore, which is sad. Their inventory is even more limited lately. Used to be my first choice.
They do offer free shipping on all orders though.

HockeyTron had a 20% coupon last month that are applicable to MAP items but I don't have the confidence to buy from them yet.

My first 2 experiences with HockeyMonkey was not fun, it was slow service. The 3rd time was fine, but I just didn't like the shipping cost.

PureHockey was great, I bought a pair of X40 gloves that were on clearance. Turned out to be out of stock and got replaced with an X60 with no additional cost.

TotalHockey seems great but they won't accept Indonesian Paypal accounts

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
I am a hockey buying enthusiast so there is my input:

Hockeymonkey.com, great site, great deals and they always have a coupon. They don't have as many sick deal as hockey giant but their site is the most organized of them all. Order with confidence, A, Edit: one gripe: they never updated their products, every once in a while i will click items and it will say "sold out".. how about you update it then and pull it off the site?

Hockeygiant.com, just needs to fix their site up, i just don’t like it. Products are very solid, decent price and have a lot of coupons.
A+

epuck, used them years ago.. prices are steep but if they do not have your product, they used to call me and tell me what else is comparable for my liking.
B+

Totalhockey.com, solid prices but they essentially lost my business. I have used them once and this is what happened. I made an order for $119 bucks. They charged my card for that, and hit my card with two more random charges of 98 bucks and 105. Their customer service is BRUTAL, might be the worst i've seen yet in retail. It took them 5 days and the guy i was dealing with kept telling me he did something and it should be ok, then the next day he would say the same thing, ect.. it was annoying and unprofessional because he actually wasn’t doing anything. I would not use them, they don’t know what they are doing.

peranis is amazing but they are past their time. They are over-priced in their store and online and everything you can find there, you can find elsewhere for cheaper. Sorry, i know i should support a local Michigan based business but their costs are brutal. they were selling 3 year old inline skates for $400 still.. it's a joke.

Use hockeymoney or hockeygiant.
I can confirm this 100%. Their prices on the site match most others and they don't give you great deals.

The two times I used customer service I got these responses:

"I'm looking for a stick in the 100-150 price range that fits my stature, what do you recommend?"

"I recommend the Bauer TotalOne NXG"

and

"Hey do you have this stick made in this curve? Like do you know if it's made in that?"

"Yeah, I have no idea you can try calling back tommorow since it's late and asking them"

Then again, IW seems like a nice group of guys but their customer service is pretty bad as well. They seem nice in their videos on YouTube but really have no idea what they are talking about. They couldn't tell me if a Shin Guard was made improperly when i've heard from virtually every other person who has it that it is.

I'll stick to a local pro shop, Eleven Hockey, and HockeyMonkey if I need to.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 50
Do these sites ship to Canada?

Playerwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
hitmanjat

Ive ordered from the following:

Discount Hockey:
Good service from what I remember was years ago though.

Hockey Monkey:
Order from them all the time, dont like their shipping charges sometimes, but you cant beat the clearouts most times.

Ice Warehouse:
Bar none the best service and shipping rates/times ive dealt with.

Peranis Hockey World:
Fast shipping, great customer service.

hitmanjat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playerwinner View Post
Do these sites ship to Canada?
Yes and no.

They will ship to Canada, but most of their brands (Bauer, Reebok, Warrior, etc) have export restrictions from the manufacturer so they can't ship to a Canadian address. You have to get it shipped to someone you know with a US address and have them send/bring it. Or ship to a paid import service that will do it for you.

Canadian hockey prices are stupidly jacked up compared to the online stores in the US. But with the extra time/cost added shipping it negates any savings.

NAFTA my butt.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Just got done emailing a Total Hockey rep. He just told me my Bondra curve is exactly the same as a Lidstrom.

It looks like this:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/...psd04d360f.png

I seriously have to draw a fricken line for someone at Total Hockey to notice. The blade on the Lidstrom curves much tighter while the Bondra is almost straight with a slight curve at the end.

This is my third employee that is either dumb, clueless, or flat out rude.

"Been doing this along time, that is a Lidstrom curve"

Sigh..

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote