HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 06:40 AM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
If you guys could keep one and had to trade the other... which do you keep:

Strait or Bortuzzo?
I think they will both turn out to be servicable bottom pairing NHL D- men but Bortuzzo has the advantage with size. Strait's not getting any taller.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think they will both turn out to be servicable bottom pairing NHL D- men but Bortuzzo has the advantage with size. Strait's not getting any taller.
Strait is the better prospect due to his ability to stay healthy. Bortz is constantly injured. They are equally effective IMO. (after checking stats, it appears that this assumption was incorrect. They have both played about the same # of games in a given time). Disreguard You picking Bortz based on size is valid, but please note Strait seems to sit in the box much less than Bortz. Putting your team shorthanded is not a great aspect. They are very close. Take your pick; big/physical, or smaller/smart

For the record:

There is no current Pen's AHL forward that is going to beat out Dupers and then TK for a top 6 wing spot. Dupers is clearly a top 6 winger now and (I know many still don't see this light) so is TK. They are are both very good 5v5 players with proven stats/production.

Tangradi and Bennett are doing well, but they are not going to be > .5PPG players in the NHL for a while. TK and Dupers are already there and are proven commodities without getting a ton of PP time (Like Tangradi and Bennett are). I also don't see any AHL player jumping right into a top 6 role with their respective pedigrees. They cut their teeth on the 3rd line with a short leash.

Do you really want Tangradi/BB defending against other top 6 NHL forwards? I don't for a while.

Last edited by wgknestrick: 12-17-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old
12-17-2012, 09:30 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Strait is the better prospect due to his ability to stay healthy. Bortz is constantly injured. They are equally effective IMO.

For the record:

There is no current Pen's AHL forward that is going to beat out Dupers and then TK for a top 6 wing spot. Dupers is clearly a top 6 winger now and (I know many still don't see this light) so is TK. They are are both very good 5v5 players with proven stats/production.

Tangradi and Bennett are doing well, but they are not going to be > .5PPG players in the NHL for a while. TK and Dupers are already there and are proven commodities without getting a ton of PP time (Like Tangradi and Bennett are). I also don't see any AHL player jumping right into a top 6 role with their respective pedigrees. They cut their teeth on the 3rd line with a short leash.

Do you really want Tangradi/BB defending against other top 6 NHL forwards?
Strait's had some health issues this year although they don't seem to be serious. He's been in and out of the line up and all they say is he's day to day. He played Saturday but not Wednesday or Friday. He looked fine Saturday night but the whole team looked like they belonged in the ECHL. He was also out last season for a stretch with a dislocated elbow when he was called up to Pitt. I don't think either one has any serious health issues though.

Last edited by bigd: 12-17-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
There's still a ways to go in the AHL season. Bennett's been good, but lets see if he keeps that up for 70+ games, which is a workload he's never seen before.

FWIW, I think the AHL players that will graduate to the NHL will be Tangradi, Despres, and whichever of Strait/Bortuzzo has a better camp or fills the greatest need as the #7. We also have Jeffrey whom I think deserves at least a shot as an every day player in some capacity.

Guys like Bennett and Dumoulin aren't waiver eligible and they still have plenty to work on, and for that reason they should start in the AHL in my opinion.
Thanks for bringing some rational thought back to this thread.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:45 PM
penguins2946*

I think a possibility is to see Jeffery flanking Sid whenever the season starts. He is doing extremely well right now in Europe, so he may be put there. It's kinda hard to see what Shero wants to do, he says he wants a long term winger for Sid, he goes after Parise, misses out and then does nothing. I find this a little odd.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
I think a possibility is to see Jeffery flanking Sid whenever the season starts. He is doing extremely well right now in Europe, so he may be put there. It's kinda hard to see what Shero wants to do, he says he wants a long term winger for Sid, he goes after Parise, misses out and then does nothing. I find this a little odd.
What would you have proposed he did after missing out on Parise?

Old
12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Semin

Old
12-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Just me but I would have liked to of seen Feds back. He has chemistry with Malkin, seems like a great locker room guy and didn't get that much money. Plus now that he can be a third wheel on a like with Malkin and Neal, he can just play his game and fit in better. That also free's up Kunitz to go back on Sids line.

Small move but could have been a nice line up filler for a year or two. Maybe the Pens plan on giving 'gradi a legit shot this year.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Semin, Kostitsyn, Knuble, Rolston, Huselius, Blake, hell, even Sykora. Not the most desirable names, but there's nothing wrong with a 1 year deal with any of those guys.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Most of those guys can't grind a ***** down.

And are European, to boot.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Most of those guys can't grind a ***** down.

And are European, to boot.
Knuble is not European, is able to grind, has a powerful shot and reminds me a lot of Guerin. I don't see why we didn't sign him.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Semin, Kostitsyn, Knuble, Rolston, Huselius, Blake, hell, even Sykora. Not the most desirable names, but there's nothing wrong with a 1 year deal with any of those guys.
Other than Semin or Kostitsyn (who both have perceived or real off ice issues, work ethic, locker room cancers, etc.) a big hell no to the rest. We don't need any more has been's. Honestly, that's a laughable list. I'd much rather roll with:

Kunitz-Crosby-Duper
Tangradi/Jeffrey/Kennedy-Malkin-Neal

Old
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Knuble is done.

Or very close to it.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Just me but I would have liked to of seen Feds back. He has chemistry with Malkin, seems like a great locker room guy and didn't get that much money. Plus now that he can be a third wheel on a like with Malkin and Neal, he can just play his game and fit in better. That also free's up Kunitz to go back on Sids line.

Small move but could have been a nice line up filler for a year or two. Maybe the Pens plan on giving 'gradi a legit shot this year.
He's not a top 6 winger anymore. He'd be a third line winger on a team with an abundance of 3rd liners. I'd much rather give Tangradi or Jeffrey a chance over Feds.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:34 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

But then we could get back to Ruslan Fedotenko Hockey™

Old
12-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Other than Semin or Kostitsyn (who both have perceived or real off ice issues, work ethic, locker room cancers, etc.) a big hell no to the rest. We don't need any more has been's. Honestly, that's a laughable list. I'd much rather roll with:

Kunitz-Crosby-Duper
Exactly. Not many guys on that list are worth much anymore. Its time to let a guy like Tangradi play with some good players and see what he can actually do. Roll Sid with his usual linemates until trade deadline or if the season gets lots - free agency.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Knuble is done.

Or very close to it.
He had a 20 goal season streak for 8 years. He didn't score much last year because he was put on the 3rd or 4th line last year on a Washington team that was really bad offensively. Ovechkin dropped to 65 points last year, how is Knuble supposed to score?

Old
12-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
He had a 20 goal season streak for 8 years. He didn't score much last year because he was put on the 3rd or 4th line last year on a Washington team that was really bad offensively. Ovechkin dropped to 65 points last year, how is Knuble supposed to score?
He's too damn old. He doesn't have the foot speed and he's spent far too many years getting pounded in front of the net. He's been a great player for many years, but his time being a top 6 winger are over.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Duper
I would rather gut a deer that just got hit by a dump truck than watch TK on Malkin's line. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing in Knuble, he still has a nice shot, he's huge and his veteran leadership would be helpful.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I would rather gut a deer that just got hit by a dump truck than watch TK on Malkin's line. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing in Knuble, he still has a nice shot, he's huge and his veteran leadership would be helpful.
Fair enough on the TK thing. I don't like him with Malkin either. My point was I'd rather let those 3 battle it out to who gets into the top 6 over some re-tread in Knuble. We are past the point where "veteran leadership" is a valuable commodity. Sid, Geno, Letang are now veterans and provide all of the leadership we need (in addition to older veterans in Kunitz, Duper, Cooke, Adams, etc).

Old
12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
He's too damn old. He doesn't have the foot speed and he's spent far too many years getting pounded in front of the net. He's been a great player for many years, but his time being a top 6 winger are over.
Guerin was 40 when he played his final season in the NHL, and he was slow as molasses. What made him good was that he has a nice shot, was moderately big and was a great leader. Knuble is all of that. Saying Knuble is too old while supporting Guerin is hypocritical, and I'm quite sure a few of you loved Billy G. And veteran commodity is always good. Someone like Billy G or Knuble wouldn't have let the Pens make goons of themselves in the playoffs last year, especially not Billy G. Why not sign Knuble to a small deal, and if he doesn't work out, just send him to the minors or waive him?

Old
12-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Huselius signed with AIK in Sweden today. Apparently he's been training with them for the last couple months and is healthy again. Might be worth watching to see how he does these days.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
I agree that TK and Malkin havent demonstrated the best chemistry in their limited time together but you would rather Knuble on Malkins line than TK? I dont know about that. Knuble is pretty much finished

Old
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Guerin was 40 when he played his final season in the NHL, and he was slow as molasses. What made him good was that he has a nice shot, was moderately big and was a great leader. Knuble is all of that. Saying Knuble is too old while supporting Guerin is hypocritical, and I'm quite sure a few of you loved Billy G.
It's not hypocritical at all. Guerin still had something left in the tank and was a deadline deal on a young team that, at the time, could use some scoring punch and veteran leadership. This is a different team and different time. IMO, we don't need the leadership, nor do we really NEED the scoring. I'm all for a talented winger, I just would rather play the younger power forward prospect over the old veteran off a down season where it looked like he didn't have much left in the tank.

Also, there are MANY other teams that could use scoring wingers, yet the guys on your list weren't hot commodities by any stretch. Shouldn't that tell you something?

Old
12-17-2012, 03:45 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Huselius signed with AIK in Sweden today. Apparently he's been training with them for the last couple months and is healthy again. Might be worth watching to see how he does these days.
Didn't hear that, it's good to see that he's able to play again. If he still is able to play well, I'd love for the Pens to take a flyer on him.

Closed Thread