HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 7.0 - "Turns Rust To Gold?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
That

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
"I like playing the wing, but it doesn't really matter to me," Galchenyuk said. "I'm a forward. I just try to be dangerous out there. It's worked out for me lately."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647770
Galchenyuk has a good head on his shoulders. Really like this quote, that's a great mentality to have.

Quote:
"It doesn't really matter where [the tournament] is played," he said. "Ice is the same, puck is the same everywhere. Doesn't matter. I just want to go there and hopefully win."

Old
12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Going from Kingston to see Gally in Kitchener on Jan 11th and then 12th in Sarnia.
Anyone else in south eastern ontario interested in going and interested in car pooling?

Old
12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
No chance. It's his 1st time.
Well by that logic, RNH wouldn't have been named Canada's captain...

But he has NHL "seniority" if you will (though I was still surprised he got it over a returnee). I would say Gally has little chance.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Bad news guys:

https://twitter.com/mike_morreale/st...33856905179136

Mike Morreale ‏@mike_morreale
Alex Galchenyuk skated mostly with Vince Trocheck and Riley Barber at today's U.S. morning session in Greenburgh.

Gally most likely on the wing for Team USA as Trocheck is only a center it seems...

The other offensive line had Miller with Grimaldi and Gaudreau.

God, if Gally doesn't play center in this tournament...this sucks....

Old
12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Bad news guys:

Alex Galchenyuk skated mostly with Vince Trocheck and Riley Barber at today's U.S. morning session in Greenburgh.

Gally most likely on the wing for Team USA as Trocheck is only a center it seems...

Aren't both Grimaldi and Gaudreau small players?

Really wanted Gally to be at centre. His versatility is going against him.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:28 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Bad news guys:

Just.. wow.

Anyway, those aren't definitive right, so let's not panic right away.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Bad news guys:

Don't know anything about Barber, but I really like Trocheck. Is it for sure that he's playing wing? Haven't seen that anywhere.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Don't know anything about Barber, but I really like Trocheck. Is it for sure that he's playing wing? Haven't seen that anywhere.
Hopefully some of the hardcore OHL guys like That can confirm, but I've always thought Trocheck was only a center and doesn't play wing at all, much like Sarault. So as a result Galchenyuk would be on the wing on that line.

Barber has 22 points in 18 games for Miami University in the NCAA. He's around 6' tall. A RW.

Obviously they might be playing around with combinations, let's hope...

Old
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Hopefully some of the hardcore OHL guys like That can confirm, but I've always thought Trocheck was only a center and doesn't play wing at all, much like Sarault. So as a result Galchenyuk would be on the wing on that line.

Barber has 22 points in 18 games for Miami University in the NCAA. He's around 6' tall. A RW.

Yeah hopefully. We'll get to watch them take on Sweden on Thursday so we'll see.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:50 PM
That

Quote:

If I remember correctly he's played right wing about 3 or 4 out of the games that I've seen them play this year. Before both Lodge and Moutrey started scoring. He's definitely a pure centre though. Similar to how Galchenyuk is. The play just runs through of them no matter what position they play. Their team mates basically allow them to occupy any area of the ice and get open.

If they do actually make Galchenyuk play wing I hope for the sake of the team that Barber is good in the dot, because Trocheck is pretty average in the dot. I don't know anything about Barber, but Gally and Trocheck are both insanely skilled, so they should be a ton of fun to watch. On the larger ice, I'd imagine it allow Galchenyuk to have more space, and we all know how much he loves that corner/half-wall spot, so that could be behind the decision as well.

Last edited by That: 12-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Hopefully some of the hardcore OHL guys like That can confirm, but I've always thought Trocheck was only a center and doesn't play wing at all, much like Sarault.

Sadly, I don't get to see Saginaw nearly as often as I'd like, but I have definitely seen Trochek play wing.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Can't say I agree with the aggressive opposition to Gally on the wing. Is it because you guys our afraid of our eternally sought-after "number one centre" disappearing before our eyes? It's not like you can deny that he's been ripping it up while playing on the wing for a long time now.

In fact, it might be better for him in the long run - he's probably not going to play centre for the Habs for a while, especially if we don't move any bodies. Plekanec is a non-starter, and Desharnais and Eller are not nearly effective on the wing as they are at centre. Gally is the most versatile of the 4, so he'll shift over to the wing. As the youngest, he'll also be most in need of "sheltering" by not being expected to carry a line from the get-go.

I would get used to seeing him there for a few years, with sporadic turns at centre along the way.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Can't say I agree with the aggressive opposition to Gally on the wing. Is it because you guys our afraid of our eternally sought-after "number one centre" disappearing before our eyes? It's not like you can deny that he's been ripping it up while playing on the wing for a long time now.

In fact, it might be better for him in the long run - he's probably not going to play centre for the Habs for a while, especially if we don't move any bodies. Plekanec is a non-starter, and Desharnais and Eller are not nearly effective on the wing as they are at centre. Gally is the most versatile of the 4, so he'll shift over to the wing. As the youngest, he'll also be most in need of "sheltering" by not being expected to carry a line from the get-go.

I would get used to seeing him there for a few years, with sporadic turns at centre along the way.
I share your feeling about Gally playing the wing, not a big deal here..

Old
12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Moneyman2k6

Quote:
2 of the Team USA games are at 9 am ET, one against Russia and one against Germany.

But the one against Canada is at 4:30 AM.

TSN is showing their 2 pre-tournament games. Gally on TV on Thursday vs Collberg at 12:30 PM ET!
dang i have school that day

Old
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Thanks for the clarification That and Tim Wallach. My google search of ''Trocheck+wing'' produced no results and every profile of him had him at center. Hard to get info from this camp, hopefully we get clarification.

Gally named OHL player of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Galchenyuk becoming a quality #1 center is the most crucial element to this team becoming a contender someday. Without him becoming that, we're doomed to more 6th place at best hockey because it sure as heck won't be DD or Eller.

If he becomes a wing full time, it's not good. Period.

So yes, at some point I want to see him play some center this season because it ain't happening in Sarnia with Beaulieu running ship and the chemistry that line has. Going head-to-head with the likes of RNH, Strome, Grigorenko, Khoklachev, Barkov and Lindholm (if USA is to face FIN or SWE) would be great for him.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
neil2005

Gally wins OHL player of the week
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...player-of-week

Old
12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
jedimyrmidon

Will the WJC games be streamed online on TSN like in previous years?

Old
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Galchenyuk becoming a quality #1 center is the most crucial element to this team becoming a contender someday. Without him becoming that, we're doomed to more 6th place at best hockey because it sure as heck won't be DD or Eller.
I disagree. Gally is projected to become good enough to be our best offensive player. That he plays center or winger doesn't have that much importance for a talent like that.

The Bruins proved you can win with a good but not exceptionnal center line. And Gally could become better than any offensive player they had during their run.

But then, for the right deal and/or if one of our center start sucking and must be traded, I'm all for bringing back Gally at center. It's just not a priority for me, compared to the priority of adding a top offensive talent to our forward group.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

He's playing center, Trocheck right wing.

Adam Kimelman ‏@NHLAdamK

Other lines from this morning: Barber-Galchenyuk-Trocheck, Matteau-Kuraly-Biggs. Not sure if they stayed intact. Courtesy @mike_morreale

Old
12-17-2012, 04:12 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:

Adam Kimelman ‏@NHLAdamK

Other lines from this morning: Barber-Galchenyuk-Trocheck, Matteau-Kuraly-Biggs. Not sure if they stayed intact. Courtesy @mike_morreale
Nice!

Old
12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I disagree. Gally is projected to become good enough to be our best offensive player. That he plays center or winger doesn't have that much importance for a talent like that.

The Bruins proved you can win with a good but not exceptionnal center line. And Gally could become better than any offensive player they had during their run.
And the Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Red Wings, etc all proved you need a high quality #1 C to win.

Also Bergeron+Krejci+Peverley > our current center line.

Quote:

Adam Kimelman ‏@NHLAdamK

He's crediting it to the guy I quoted with that tweet...he might just be assuming here. Looking at Kimelman's recent tweets he seems to be at the camp this afternoon, hopefully he updates us.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:40 PM
LeMAD

The big #1 centrerman thing is a bunch of bs. Right now he would be too weak defensively to be a center at the NHL level, and we're absolutely weak on the wings anyways.

Make him play on Plekanec' or Desharnais' wing at first, and the option of putting him back at center will always be there if necessary.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:46 PM
NotProkofievian

Well, Seguin started on the wing, and quickly moved over to center the next season. Something like that could, and maybe should, be done with Alex.

...however, in no uncertain terms, it is suboptimal for the Habs if Alex to end up as a winger. We need to be grooming him into a center, as I think it's unlikely we get a legitimate #1 center any other way.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
FF de Mars

I've been saying play Gally on the wing since he was drafted. I'd much rather have him than Bourque on the 2nd line which might become our 1st again with Galchenyuk being the missing piece of the puzzle. It's not like he won't ever play center for us.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
And the Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Red Wings, etc all proved you need a high quality #1 C to win.
They proved you need a high quality offensive player.
Quote:
Also Bergeron+Krejci+Peverley > our current center line.
Well, that's assuming some progression from Desharnais and Eller. If one or both falter then I'll be all for moving one of them to give Gally a spot, because Plekanec won't be with us for so long. But we are far away from having to make this decision.

Closed Thread