2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
EverettMike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
That would be a nightmare. I like the Bruins as they are now, thanks. I don't want to be forced to cheer for a team of strangers, while all the players we have grown to love sign with the likes of Montreal, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
As a Bruins fan I agree 100%.

A nightmare.

As a fan of social experiments I can't think of anything better to try in sports.

This reminds me of Charles Finley's idea on how to deal with the new Player's Association in baseball. Make every player a free agent every single season. He was shot down by the other owners that didn't want to lose their good players every year.

Little did they know Marvin Miller was terrified of the idea and was relieved when it wasn't offered.

Now that is only true if every player becomes a FA every single year, so not sure it would apply to the NHL in this case. No one could stop an owner from signing a multiple-year deal, and then boom, advantage players.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Have to admit that would be interesting though if they voided all contracts.

Would it though mean all players would become free agents or would teams still own the rights to the players.
There would have to be an agreement between teams to only sign the players they previously had under contract.

Given the cohesive nature of the owners currently I believe they would keep this agreement.

SO you would see GMs signing the same players they already had to new deals, presumably for about 40-80 cents on the dollar

Don't see any way the owners OK a free for all. Teams like Nashville would probably fold before making themselves vulnerable to the other 30 NHL teams bidding for Weber.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
There would have to be an agreement between teams to only sign the players they previously had under contract.

Given the cohesive nature of the owners currently I believe they would keep this agreement.

SO you would see GMs signing the same players they already had to new deals, presumably for about 40-80 cents on the dollar

Don't see any way the owners OK a free for all. Teams like Nashville would probably fold before making themselves vulnerable to the other 30 NHL teams bidding for Weber.
I wonder if that lawsuit would be the biggest of all-time....

You can't work in concert to intentionaly deflate salaries. What you are suggesting is illegal.

Also, the owners are the one arguing that they all the contracts would be null and void.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I wonder if that lawsuit would be the biggest of all-time....

You can't work in concert to intentionaly deflate salaries. What you are suggesting is illegal.

Also, the owners are the one arguing that they all the contracts would be null and void.
I understand your point.

But are you arguing that a free for all between all 30 teams is in the leagues best interest or that of any team other than the Maple Leafs?

If contracts are null and void to me it seems only logical that there is a gentlemans agreement among owners to only sign players they previously had under contract.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
I understand your point.

But are you arguing that a free for all between all 30 teams is in the leagues best interest or that of any team other than the Maple Leafs?

If contracts are null and void to me it seems only logical that there is a gentlemans agreement among owners to only sign players they previously had under contract.
You don't understand my point if you think a gentlemen agreement is okay. That is collusion, it violates the law.

And I think it is terrible for the owners. They shouldn't have suggested It.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
shawnb199

Quote:

This would be an antitrust violation. Essentially, the union's move would prevent the teams from having any agreements, written or otherwise, on the way labor is contracted. Each team would be free to spend as much or as little money as it wanted, and to offer any contract terms it wished. Toronto would have a $200M payroll and every 23 year old superstar signed to a 12 year contract. It would be the same labor model as baseball, without a luxury tax to somewhat keep the disparity between small markets and large markets in check.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:07 PM
gobruins14

No communication again between the two sides today. Really pisses me off. I'm joining the ranks of the apathetic.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:22 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins14 View Post
No communication again between the two sides today. Really pisses me off. I'm joining the ranks of the apathetic.
If they're not going to talk, the least they can do is get in the same room and stare at each other.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:23 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
That would be a nightmare. I like the Bruins as they are now, thanks. I don't want to be forced to cheer for a team of strangers, while all the players we have grown to love sign with the likes of Montreal, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
Exactly. I'd hate to suddenly be expected to cheer on players I've hated for years.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins14 View Post
If they don't have an agreement in place by midnight December 31st I am filling out the Life Coach Forms here to be able to start telling people to boycott games when they come back, burn jerseys, and refuse to get excited the first time the Bruins have a line brawl against Buffalo.

that said- 2 weeks from last Friday is the 28th

Old
12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I may be the one of the only ones still hoping and holding out for a season

It amazes me that it's gone this far, I never thought the players would be this foolish

Old
12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post

It amazes me that it's gone this far, I never thought the players would be this foolish
I'm almost like who gives a ****...screw it; but we'll see how I feel if this really does end a few days before New Years,

They better schedule Buffalo the first game and it better be Lucic-Campbell-Thornton lining up against McCormick-Ott-Scott.

I want to see Chara and Scott go at it opening shift and see McQuaid getting ahold of Ott somehow

Old
12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post

I still have hope but it is fading fast.

12-17-2012, 07:36 PM
cat400

Quote:
I understand your point.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Collusion

"Collusion is a business term that describes a situation where the few owners artificially limit the salaries of the workers in the industry through concerted action. Major League Baseball went through a period of collusion during the off-seasons of 1985, 1986, and 1987.

After the 1985 season, at the urging of Commissioner Peter Ueberroth, owners came to an unwritten agreement not to compete with each other over the services of free agents, and to reduce significantly the length of contracts they would offer. As a result, free agents were forced to re-sign with their original teams for little or no pay raise, unless their team indicated that it was not interested in their services
."

Old
12-17-2012, 07:39 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
If they don't have an agreement in place by midnight December 31st I am filling out the Life Coach Forms here to be able to start telling people to boycott games when they come back, burn jerseys, and refuse to get excited the first time the Bruins have a line brawl against Buffalo.

that said- 2 weeks from last Friday is the 28th
Yeah, I am gonna give them a week after new years until I join the jersey burning brigade....since I saw an fb post from my friend who works for the Lightning that she has 2 weeks off work after this week. So the resolution should come sometime Jan 2-Jan 8 if there is in fact an agreement.

I also expect resolution on my Loges being fixed so that I don't have bruised knees every game from the seats in front of me folding up into me when the people in front of me sit down. Not gonna put up with that after this.

I expect the backs of those seats to be permanantly fixed into place so they don't fold...or to be moved to seats in Loge 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12.

If that doesn't happen I'm saying sayanara Jeremy!

Old
12-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
If they're not going to talk, the least they can do is get in the same room and stare at each other.
They don't even look at each other during anymore.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:55 PM
bizman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Exactly. I'd hate to suddenly be expected to cheer on players I've hated for years.
I wonder if Toronto would make a push for Seguin. I can't bare to think about it.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:58 PM
petrobruin

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...antitrust_law/

Interesting read . doesn't look good for the players

Old
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Bruwinz37

I am hearing next week a deal gets done. Take it fwiw...

Old
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
GordonHowe

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/87...o-lockout-mess

"QFT"

Old
12-17-2012, 09:39 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
You're one of the best posters on here and one of my personally well respected go to opinions, so ill take this as a ray of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Good article. Agree about NHL's first offer being what set the tone and unified the NHL against the big greedy mean owners. I know you usually lowball with the first offer in negotiating, but it's too bad the NHL leadership didn't see that one coming

Old
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrobruin View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...antitrust_law/

Interesting read . doesn't look good for the players
The question is, why the NHLPA need's 5 days for 700 members to vote a yes or no question through the internet that would normally take 15 minutes to get done.

Another useless strategy from Fehr to gain time...
Like the useless decertification who as no legs.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.
Unnecessarily hostile man

Closed Thread