HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How Does The Kings Forward Depth Chart Rank?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Hockey Moose

vCash: 500
How Does The Kings Forward Depth Chart Rank?

Frolov - Allison - Klatt
Straka - Cammalleri - Palffy
Luc - Stumple - Armstrong
Lappy - Belanger - Avery

Line One: Well, chances are with TWO large players that can play behind the net, the other team would want to load up their BIG d-men or number one pairing. Frolov, Allison are typical pains in the ass & Klatt doesnt help.

Line Two: Just when things get controlled with line one, you turn around & here comes SKILL, SKILL & SKILL! This line could be DEADLY if they were the 2nd unit.

Line 3: Can play a great defensive game yet they can all score. Stumple can play that postion well & Armstrong is great fit.

Line 4: Even Todd Bertuzzi said this is the worst line he played against. They hit, hit & hit, 2 of them can fight & all of them can score if they go to the net!

Sim/Brenna could be used when needed. Hope I'm not missing anyone LMAO. Tripp/Smithson/Pernis should all be going to Manchester. Brown back to juniors!

Where do the Kings stack up? NOTE: Allison is rumored to be back Jan 1st or ready to be back. He is now practicing with the team!

Old
12-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Frolov

Brown-Allison-Straka
Frolov-Armstrong-Palffy
Luc-Camelleri-Klat
Lappy-Belanger-Avery

Trade Stumpel for some defensive help.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:14 PM
LuckyLUC20

why break up Frolov - Belanger - Klatt?... they've been great for the past couple games...

On the other hand, if and when Allison gets back, I wouldn't mind seeing how Frolov and Allison look together.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Fantasywonder

Where do the Kings stack up? I'd say between the 10th and 15th slots if we are talking about pure depth. 3 Of their top 4 forwards are always injured, you cannot ignore this fact and just say "when healthy" since it's never the case. Their defense lacks depth and it doesn't has that overall, complete defenseman. They have offensive ones in Modry and Vish, but both are complete liabilities in their own end. They have Norstrom and Miller who can't contribute offensively and have fringe NHL'ers and rookies making up the 3rd pairing. Also, I am not a Cechmanek fan (Huet otoh, I like) and I don't think he will excel in this system. He will be a random starter, floating in the middle of the pack.

In general, playoff contender that could surprise some team(s) when and if they make the playoffs. But on paper, I have them behind the following (alphabeticly):

- Colorado
- Dallas
- Detroit
- New Jersey
- NY Rangers
- Ottawa
- Philadelphia
- St.Louis
- Vancouver
- Toronto

But slightly ahead of the Caps, Bolts or even Sabres.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:51 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasywonder
In general, playoff contender that could surprise some team(s) when and if they make the playoffs. But on paper, I have them behind the following (alphabeticly):

- Colorado
- Dallas
- Detroit
- New Jersey
- NY Rangers
- Ottawa
- Philadelphia
- St.Louis
- Vancouver
- Toronto

But slightly ahead of the Caps, Bolts or even Sabres.
Slightly ahead of the Caps?

Old
12-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnziggywidit
Slightly ahead of the Caps?
Forwards:

Jaromir Jagr
Peter Bondra
Robert Lang
Danius Zubrus
Michael Nylander
Jeff Halpern
Bates Bataglia
Brian Sutherby
Mike Grier

vs

Zigmund Palffy
Jason Allison*
Adam Deadmarsh*
Martin Straka*
Josef Stumpel
Alexander Frolov
Eric Belanger
Luc Robitaille
Trent Klatt

*= injured 50/50.

I'd say that's pretty damn equal. May there be an edge among forwards, I give it to the Kings based on their potential at full health but since it likely never will, a draw. Note, Jagr is slowly returning to his old form, Lang has been a top 3 scorer all season, Bondra has been red hot. Zubrus is breaking through, etc.. Caps, despite their record, have a very respectable forward pack.

The Kings don't have a very deep defense, but no one has a thinner defense then the Caps (and Pens), however, the Caps have 2 defensemen, probably their only 2 legit NHL'ers among D, that I would prefer above either Kings defenseman. The difference between Gonchar and pff.. Norstrom? Is that huge to make up for a lack of depth. Add Witt, Eminger and Yonkman, compare them with Miller, Modry and Vish and there suddenly is no huge gap like you would think. I'd say the defense is slightly in favor of the Kings once again, mainly due to their chemestry and solid teamdefense but mainly due to Gonchar, it's just an edge and not a gap.

On goal, overrated or not, Kolzig is a better netminder than Cechmanek and Ouelette is a superior one towards Huet. Clear win here for the Caps and since it's the most important position in hockey, the difference between the two is as small as small can be.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Forwards:

Jaromir Jagr
Peter Bondra
Robert Lang
Danius Zubrus
Michael Nylander
Jeff Halpern
Bates Bataglia
Brian Sutherby
Mike Grier

vs

Zigmund Palffy
Jason Allison*
Adam Deadmarsh*
Martin Straka*
Josef Stumpel
Alexander Frolov
Eric Belanger
Luc Robitaille
Trent Klatt

*= injured 50/50.

I'd say that's pretty damn equal. May there be an edge among forwards, I give it to the Kings based on their potential at full health but since it likely never will, a draw. Note, Jagr is slowly returning to his old form, Lang has been a top 3 scorer all season, Bondra has been red hot. Zubrus is breaking through, etc.. Caps, despite their record, have a very respectable forward pack.

The Kings don't have a very deep defense, but no one has a thinner defense then the Caps (and Pens), however, the Caps have 2 defensemen, probably their only 2 legit NHL'ers among D, that I would prefer above either Kings defenseman. The difference between Gonchar and pff.. Norstrom? Is that huge to make up for a lack of depth. Add Witt, Eminger and Yonkman, compare them with Miller, Modry and Vish and there suddenly is no huge gap like you would think. I'd say the defense is slightly in favor of the Kings once again, mainly due to their chemestry and solid teamdefense but mainly due to Gonchar, it's just an edge and not a gap.

On goal, overrated or not, Kolzig is a better netminder than Cechmanek and Ouelette is a superior one towards Huet. Clear win here for the Caps and since it's the most important position in hockey, the difference between the two is as small as small can be.

They have offensive ones in Modry and Vish, but both are complete liabilities in their own end.
I've no idea why you put a * behind Straka. As far as I know he hasn't missed a game this season. He played 60 games last season after an heavy injury in 2001/2002 when he played 13 games. We don't have to exaggarate with Straka's injuries, apart from his rookie year he has played 86% of his games (with 2001/2002 included).

Lubomir Visnovsky is anything but a "complete liability in his own end" and this actually a shameful statement.

Don't forget Mike Cammalleri with the forwards (8 goals in 13 games so far) and you can remove Deamarsh of your list because he's done.

Old
12-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
I've no idea why you put a * behind Straka. As far as I know he hasn't missed a game this season. He played 60 games last season after an heavy injury in 2001/2002 when he played 13 games. We don't have to exaggarate with Straka's injuries, apart from his rookie year he has played 86% of his games (with 2001/2002 included).

Lubomir Visnovsky is anything but a "complete liability in his own end" and this actually a shameful statement.

Don't forget Mike Cammalleri with the forwards (8 goals in 13 games so far) and you can remove Deamarsh of your list because he's done.
First of all, Straka has played 550 games over 9 seasons, calculate that over the highest of 738 games and you'll see that the answer will be a measily 74% and an average of 61.11 games per season. Not prone indeed, his bones are only made from porcelain.

Secondly, Vishnovsky is a defensive liability, how many Kings games have you seen to warrant he isn't, honestly?

Deadmarsh > Camm, so I don't see an improvement.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Secondly, Visnovsky is a defensive liability, how many Kings games have you seen to warrant he isn't, honestly?
I think the better question would be, how many King's games have you seen to make an educated assessment that he is?.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:11 AM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I think the better question would be, how many King's games have you seen to make an educated assessment that he is ?.
About 50 last season and I think 7 so far.. That should warrant a fair opinion. Back to Frolov...

Old
12-10-2003, 04:23 AM
dashripper

Quote:

Secondly, Vishnovsky is a defensive liability, how many Kings games have you seen to warrant he isn't, honestly?
There is no way Visnovsky is a defensive liability. He had a bad game against Phoenix but other than that he has been pretty solid.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:44 AM
zeppelin97

I would say Visnovsky is very good defensively. One hole in his game is his lack of size combined with his unwillingness to hit. Bigger, stronger, more aggressive forwards can push him around, or simply overwhelm him.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
First of all, Straka has played 550 games over 9 seasons, calculate that over the highest of 738 games and you'll see that the answer will be a measily 74% and an average of 61.11 games per season. Not prone indeed, his bones are only made from porcelain.
Get a clue.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:57 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:

Deadmarsh > Camm, so I don't see an improvement.
I've seen 3 games this season (integral) + Worldchampionships, internethighlights, games from past seasons, DVD's. I know enough of him.

This is Straka's 12th year in the NHL and he has played far more than 550 games and he played only 43 games in his rookie year and that wasn't because he was injuried. He has played +70 games in several seasons.

I wasn't trying to compare Cammalleri with Deadmarsh but Cammalleri is at the moment > Robitaille and Klatt. Besides I think Deadmarsh isn't worth anything at the moment.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:38 AM
punchy1

I always think its funny when someone comes in to a thread that is just being a troll and posting utter scat simply for the sake of having a piss at that teams fans only to see that teams fans get riled up.

Isn't it obvious that this lad has no bloody idea what he is talking about and doesn't deserve any response at all? Skip him and move on to the next one.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:17 AM
Frolov

Quote:
Forwards:

Jaromir Jagr
Peter Bondra
Robert Lang
Danius Zubrus
Michael Nylander
Jeff Halpern
Bates Bataglia
Brian Sutherby
Mike Grier

vs

Zigmund Palffy
Jason Allison*
Adam Deadmarsh*
Martin Straka*
Josef Stumpel
Alexander Frolov
Eric Belanger
Luc Robitaille
Trent Klatt

*= injured 50/50.

Straka is healthy thank you very much. But doesn't Nylander have a broken leg?

Hey did you watch the Kings-Caps game last week? The "dominant" combo of Lang and jagr each had their two point. But the Kings received 2 goals from 3 lines. Their *depth* won the game.

"The difference between Gonchar and pff.. Norstrom? Is that huge to make up for a lack of depth."
I find that funny cause after the 1st 3 minutes Norstrom shut down Jagr and I don't even think Lang had another shot on goal. The defensemans first priority is to play defense. Gonchar couldn't contain Palffy or Straka or Frolov. Witt couldn't do it. But the Kings blue line did their job.

Also when Norstrom and Miller were out for a couple of weeks Visnovky stepped up and played 25 minutes a night and he was as solid as can be. He is far from being a liability.

Kolzig is the better netminder? He sure isn't showing that on the ice.

Kolzig: 7-17 3.1 GAA 890 sv%
Cechmanek: 12-10 2.26 GAA 907 sv%

Old
12-10-2003, 08:00 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Moose
Frolov - Allison - Klatt
Straka - Cammalleri - Palffy
Luc - Stumple - Armstrong
Lappy - Belanger - Avery

Line One: Well, chances are with TWO large players that can play behind the net, the other team would want to load up their BIG d-men or number one pairing. Frolov, Allison are typical pains in the ass & Klatt doesnt help.

Line Two: Just when things get controlled with line one, you turn around & here comes SKILL, SKILL & SKILL! This line could be DEADLY if they were the 2nd unit.

Line 3: Can play a great defensive game yet they can all score. Stumple can play that postion well & Armstrong is great fit.

Line 4: Even Todd Bertuzzi said this is the worst line he played against. They hit, hit & hit, 2 of them can fight & all of them can score if they go to the net!

Sim/Brenna could be used when needed. Hope I'm not missing anyone LMAO. Tripp/Smithson/Pernis should all be going to Manchester. Brown back to juniors!

Where do the Kings stack up? NOTE: Allison is rumored to be back Jan 1st or ready to be back. He is now practicing with the team!
I really don't think Klatt is the kind of guy that you want to have on a scoring line. He showed in Vancouver that while he is maybe somewhat adequate, he's definitely not ideal. I think the Kings have better offensive players to fit onto a top line than him.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Bah... Straka is injury prone...

Old
12-10-2003, 10:28 AM
#2FAN

vCash:
LA Kings come playoff time will have the depth to go really far in the playoffs. Their offense will only be matched by Colorado and if they get timley goaltending I say they will be hard to beat. Murray is one of the best coaches in the league if not the best.

Old
12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by #2FAN
LA Kings come playoff time will have the depth to go really far in the playoffs. Their offense will only be matched by Colorado and if they get timley goaltending I say they will be hard to beat. Murray is one of the best coaches in the league if not the best.

Closed Thread