HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 01:41 PM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
I like the Hervey/Reed combo and will give them a chance.
What a crazy concept!

Don't you know that there's conspiracies to be uncovered while the tar boils and the feathers are plucked & gathered in anticipation of the next player signing announcement?

Old
12-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its funny that everything you state applies to Reed as well. There was some bad blood already this year. But its just hearsay and should only be taken as such.

But as far as Tillman the "disgruntled employees" are some of the players that were cut from the team this year or last. So some obvious vested interest and want to kickback obviously exist.

One mistake you're making in this, and Money alredy mentioned it, is you're taking whatever Rhodes, Reed, or Hervey is stating now as gospel. I have no idea given the circumstances why you would. Theres more than meets the eye to this.

Its my suspicion(I don't know one way or the other) that we're not getting all the laundry and all the story here. The dynamic could be that Tillman has become an easy scapegoat. Because he's gone.

Its not an agreed statment of fact Tillman wasn't here a lot. Its not an agreed statement of fact he wasn't performing his duties. Its not an agreed statement of fact that he wasn't dilligent enough and filling the job description. It is all hearsay conjecture. In some of your argument you're stating problems as if they are substantiated. They aren't, and if I'm Tillman I've sought legal council by now.
I can understand players that were cut or released taking their shots. But it was disturbing to hear longtime administration people leaving this year like Dave Jamieson. Something wrong there.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Was he around the year before last? When we went to the Western Finals?

Where was all the "not living in Edmonton" talk then?

Where was the "passing off gm responsibilities" to the coach then?

Its hard to say what the "real" story is here.
Sounded like the passing off of GM responsiblities was happening this year, which might help explain Reeds crazy workload and drop off in coaching efficiencies. The fact that Tillman let 14 guys twist all the way to free agency is a good confirmation he was slacking in his duties.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Sounded like the passing off of GM responsiblities was happening this year, which might help explain Reeds crazy workload and drop off in coaching efficiencies. The fact that Tillman let 14 guys twist all the way to free agency is a good confirmation he was slacking in his duties.
I stated this earlier but we don't know that Reeds workload increased crazily. You state this as if it was an agreed statement of fact.

tbh something looked to be wrong with Reed by about game 4 or 5 this season and I spoke of it. My best guess is he was suffering from stress, migraines, anxiety early in the season which just continued on. It was evident regularly in interviews this year. Basically facial ticks, grimaces, clenching, that weren't seen last year. Of course what I state is conjecture based on facial countenance. But look at any of his postgame videos of this year vs last year. With all the facial contortions it almost looks like a different guy. Quite a few times watching I'm going W T F?

I stongly suspect Reed had something medically wrong with him this year that the team for some reason is downplaying or somehow didn't spot.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
But what you are saying makes even less since, doesn't it?
How so? If what Naylor says is right, Shaw might be one of the highest paid kickers in the CFL.

And it's not like he can't punt, he was 2nd or 3rd in punting average I believe this year.

If we're giving him 100k a year(as Naylor says), then I'd hope he has greater responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
He can play DB too right? He was a good one in university correct? So they could save some roster space there having him as a back-up.
As a nickel or dime? I don't know about that. I know he played some DB, but I don't think he could just pick it up like that.

As a stand in guy if in game injuries occurred I guess he could. Still don't think you risk your kicked to injuries in game though.

12-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I stated this earlier but we don't know that Reeds workload increased crazily. You state this as if it was an agreed statement of fact.

tbh something looked to be wrong with Reed by about game 4 or 5 this season and I spoke of it. My best guess is he was suffering from stress, migraines, anxiety early in the season which just continued on. It was evident regularly in interviews this year. Basically facial ticks, grimaces, clenching, that weren't seen last year. Of course what I state is conjecture based on facial countenance. But look at any of his postgame videos of this year vs last year. With all the facial contortions it almost looks like a different guy. Quite a few times watching I'm going W T F?

I stongly suspect Reed had something medically wrong with him this year that the team for some reason is downplaying or somehow didn't spot.

So....... I'm going by comments of people within the organization and you're going by facial ticks?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
So....... I'm going by comments of people within the organization and you're going by facial ticks?
You forgot about grimace.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
You forgot about grimace.
Good God.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 484
The Tiger-Cats are expected to name former Saskatchewan Roughriders head man Kent Austin as the team's new head coach and general manger. The announcement is expected to take place at a news conference, Monday at 3pm et.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411817

Old
12-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
When a person is consistently looking apoplectic in interviews and otherwise I'd wonder if something is wrong with him, yes.

It was so pronounced with Reed I'm surprised you could miss it. Does everybody talk while contorting their face and alternately opening and closing either eye as if they're having a stroke?

I joked several times during the season Reed looked like Inspector Dreyfuss from the Pink Panther movies..

Guess you missed all the interviews.

ps You going by "people in the organization" that have vested interest in saving their skins has even less validity then itchy ticks..

enjoy it, I'm the gift that keeps giving..we need something to talk about dagnabbit.

Last edited by Replacement: 12-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old
12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The Tiger-Cats are expected to name former Saskatchewan Roughriders head man Kent Austin as the team's new head coach and general manger. The announcement is expected to take place at a news conference, Monday at 3pm et.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411817
Haha, ouch. Didn't the Riders try to bring him back in '09 or '10?

Old
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Haha, ouch. Didn't the Riders try to bring him back in '09 or '10?
LOL, just saw this

CFL News ‏@CFL_News
Austin admits #Riders were after him last year and he considered it, but didn't take it at that point. via @scratchingpost #CFL #Ticats

Old
12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
On that, the team has taken a lot of heat for having Rhodes, a non-football guy running a sports franchise. It doesn't matter, as he runs the business side, where he does have experience. I
speaking of which. what exactly does he do? what has he done to increase the teams value from the business side? so far he sounds like the type of guy who doesn't have employees but will try to maximise "human capital"

was he part of the team that put together that crappy business plan in regards to halftime "entertainment" several gasmes this past season? that was a bunch of crap. sant-n-pepa and vanilla ice. really?

you want somneone to run the business side? get someone who can help put together a good team. you'll get more butts in the seats and more sponsors with a competitive team, than the load of crap we've had to put up with for the past 5+ years that has been bleeding fans and paying customers.
a good team will get more bucks coming in than vanilla ice will.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
speaking of which. what exactly does he do? what has he done to increase the teams value from the business side? so far he sounds like the type of guy who doesn't have employees but will try to maximise "human capital"
Valid question.

I'm guessing that he's probably behind the new white-green Eskimo jersey this year.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Valid question.

I'm guessing that he's probably behind the new white-green Eskimo jersey this year.
Every team in the league got new jerseys this past year, so I doubt it.

Good to see Austin back in the league. With 11 wins in three seasons at Cornell, he certainly wasn't going to be getting head coaching offers from BCS schools, which was probably his original goal when he went to Ole Miss after 2007. By taking on coach and GM positions, looks like he's in Canada for the long haul now.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tim Prinsen has left the coaching staff to return to the U of A Golden Bears.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
How so? If what Naylor says is right, Shaw might be one of the highest paid kickers in the CFL.

And it's not like he can't punt, he was 2nd or 3rd in punting average I believe this year.

If we're giving him 100k a year(as Naylor says), then I'd hope he has greater responsibility.

As a nickel or dime? I don't know about that. I know he played some DB, but I don't think he could just pick it up like that.

As a stand in guy if in game injuries occurred I guess he could. Still don't think you risk your kicked to injuries in game though.
Injury back-up. It would afford roster flexibility.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Injury back-up. It would afford roster flexibility.
Nice that he can play the position from college, but I doubt you ever want to have yourself in the extreme position of having to use your kicker, especially one that does all the duties, in another playing spot for fear of injury. That would screw a team over righteously.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Tim Prinsen has left the coaching staff to return to the U of A Golden Bears.
They will probably win more games than the Eskimos next year.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They will probably win more games than the Eskimos next year.
don't count on it. the bears are a brutal football team. they've picked up on the new way of doing things for edmonton sports teams, and that is to suck.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
don't count on it. the bears are a brutal football team. they've picked up on the new way of doing things for edmonton sports teams, and that is to suck.
Its uncanny how good the U of A can be in several sports, Hockey, Basketball, etc but consistently have one of the worst football varsity squads in the country.

One of the things that happens is athletes start to selectively pick schools on the basis of the schools acumen at their particular sport. It seems like good athletes entirely avoid coming here to play football.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Stare of Death

Looking forward to watching more JC... http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411936

Quote:
The Edmonton Eskimos have a new contract with the CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player of the Year, JC Sherritt.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Yeah this is a relief to me. He was by far our most important resigning, imo. 3 year deal I believe.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
I think this is one player that we all agree we wanted to see signed.

hopefully he gets Shaw type money. lol

Old
12-19-2012, 11:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
There is a santa

Closed Thread