HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
There is a lot of buzz on Islander Mania how the German experiment is over and he is on his way
or already back from the failed final solution. No healthier or effective in Europe.
Put this broken legged horse down already!
Grow up.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

I don't understand why DiPietro or the NYI have not made any public statements (in about 2-3 years) about his health, the status of his surgeries, his progression, fllexibility, strength, resiliency, mobility, etc.

Why all the hush hush? Seriously.

It's not the first time an NHL player has succumbed to injury and forced to make choices around his career, contract notwithstanding.

Just a poor team-fan communication plan, doing the player no favours.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:20 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Das muss das erste Mal sein jemand war sprachlos von HF!

My German is rusty.

The hate for Rick being selfish, I can get. The hate that the contract was Rick's fault, I will never get.
I don't know that the contract is the reason for most of the resentment. He is and always has been all about himself and doesn't appear to be all that bright.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:38 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Das muss das erste Mal sein jemand war sprachlos von HF!

My German is rusty.

The hate for Rick being selfish, I can get. The hate that the contract was Rick's fault, I will never get.
Please explain. Unless you are referring to him being selfish for not retiring, in which case I don't see how that is selfish at all. The Islanders have to pay Rick. The Islanders do not have to play him. Wade Redden knows all about that.

If DiPietro decides to make a comeback every year for the next 7 years, and each year he ends up playing terrible hockey for a month and then gets hurt: Is it Ricky's fault for consistently attempting a comeback or the Islanders fault for continuously giving the nod to a guy who has proven he can't hack it anymore?

Old
12-16-2012, 10:43 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
I don't know that the contract is the reason for most of the resentment. He is and always has been all about himself and doesn't appear to be all that bright.
Unbelievable contradiction. No player signs a 15 year contract at way less than the amount star goalies are making in the prime of their career. He was flourishing when he signed it btw, not faltering. I hardly see anyone, even those who think he should retire, say DP is just out for himself. That is just absurd and this is one of the more sickening posts on this thread.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:35 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Unbelievable contradiction. No player signs a 15 year contract at way less than the amount star goalies are making in the prime of their career. He was flourishing when he signed it btw, not faltering. I hardly see anyone, even those who think he should retire, say DP is just out for himself. That is just absurd and this is one of the more sickening posts on this thread.
DP was the best goalie in the NHL. Wait....he was top six in a stat once. Same thing. His market value was $2-2.5M when he signed that asinine mound of fertilizer contract. But he had two good seasons total (1 1/5 really) so he CERTAINLY was being paid what Misstress Cleo said he'd be worth at worst - though we all knew Patrick Roy was scared of his amazing positioning.

I still think he's the greatest. I just won't get into what with you.....but he's great, certainly. I feel bad he has to retire.....but hey, winning is cool. Never listen to doctors or goalie coaches. Period. The money is much easier when you don't have to work for it!

Old
12-17-2012, 06:10 AM
Alpina
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I don't get it. If Ricky has only played one game why are the fans chanting for another goalie? Has he been playing this whole time? I'm confused.
The chants weren´t against DP. The chants were for Markus Keller our regular goalkeeper. Because it was a hart time for him too. He came from the third tier to the SC Riessersee in hope he can be a nr.1 goali in a higher league. But suddenly he was only the substitute goalkeeper.
In the same game the fans were chanting for DP too. Despite of his two mistakes.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post
The chants weren´t against DP. The chants were for Markus Keller our regular goalkeeper. Because it was a hart time for him too. He came from the third tier to the SC Riessersee in hope he can be a nr.1 goali in a higher league. But suddenly he was only the substitute goalkeeper.
In the same game the fans were chanting for DP too. Despite of his two mistakes.
Only two?
He is getting better!

Old
12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
DP was the best goalie in the NHL. Wait....he was top six in a stat once. Same thing. His market value was $2-2.5M when he signed that asinine mound of fertilizer contract. But he had two good seasons total (1 1/5 really) so he CERTAINLY was being paid what Misstress Cleo said he'd be worth at worst - though we all knew Patrick Roy was scared of his amazing positioning.

I still think he's the greatest. I just won't get into what with you.....but he's great, certainly. I feel bad he has to retire.....but hey, winning is cool. Never listen to doctors or goalie coaches. Period. The money is much easier when you don't have to work for it!
Do you read what you write? Yeah, he doesn't have to work for the money? I guess you are some super robot that thinks rehabbing is easy. Listen, you said you were old. You probably hurt getting out of bed in the morning. Try rehabbing. The pain it takes to exercise through scar tissue and get limber again. That is work no matter what way you try to spin it. If you have any sense of right and wrong you will at least acknowledge the gross error on your part in saying that rehab isn't work.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:36 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Do you read what you write? Yeah, he doesn't have to work for the money? I guess you are some super robot that thinks rehabbing is easy. Listen, you said you were old. You probably hurt getting out of bed in the morning. Try rehabbing. The pain it takes to exercise through scar tissue and get limber again. That is work no matter what way you try to spin it. If you have any sense of right and wrong you will at least acknowledge the gross error on your part in saying that rehab isn't work.
I would interject here and say that rehab is work, and it is $4.5 million dollar work (and I couldn't imagine the pressure....) but it isn't work from which the Islanders have been benefitting in a long time. A price tag of that size should come with a benefit rather than a deficit. Unfortunately, he's kinda become that through injuries and fickle happenstance.

No hate towards the guy, but I want him to rehab where hiccups won't slow the momentum the Islanders and Tigers are trying to build. I like him right where he is only geographically, not situationally. If he convalesced properly and returned to form, I'd welcome him back if the proof was in the pudding on his way back up the food chain. I simply want to see this being done first, as we all have reasons to feel pensive when he rushes comebacks.

If he belongs on an NHL roster, maybe he'll get it together in Germany and ride a good streak that outlasts his usual cycle of injuries. He needs to be taking baby steps - he can do that in Europe much easier than in Bridgeport or the Island. As far as what he gets paid......without the effect he has on the salary cap, the Isles may not be in the position they are, which is an uptake from where they've been. They're at a point where Wang should be poised to start spending again, and $4.5 million not on the active roster 50 games a year is $4.5 million he can't spend elsewhere.

I only want to see my team return to respectability in more style and grace than they've had in nearly two decades. I think most of us can agree there, and we should also be able to agree that both rosters, Long Island and Bridgeport, benefit from having dependable goaltending as any team does. DiPietro, for all his efforts, isn't providing that with a team in a league a few steps down from the NHL. He can't provide it only averaging 11.8 games per year for the last for years. I miss the DP we had in '06-'07 too, but he's got a ways to go before that possibility enters reality. Better explored there than here.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:03 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
ARRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

DP hurts his knee, comes back early.
DP hurt again. Comes back early.
Favors other knee. Hurts other knee. Both knees down. COMES BACK EARLY.

Yeah, poor guy has to work hard because he wouldn't stay put and heal. Poor guy.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
leaponover

Quote:
ARRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Yeah, poor guy has to work hard because he wouldn't stay put and heal. Poor guy.

LMAO! Look through any thread about DP and you will see two things. Early when he was injured people COMPLAINING that he isn't playing. The guy comes back early from injuries and gets hurt. Now they are complaining that he won't retire. Don't you see how reading through these forums can be agonizing? Which is it? Sit and rehab and make sure you are fully healed while fans complain...or come back early. Either way fans are going to complain it seems. Most of the criticism about DP is mind numbing migraine inducing.

Crap about "will to play", contract to long, egotism, selfishness...it's all garbage perception and unless you know the guy you just can't prove it. The only thing concrete is the contract and everyone knows that is not his fault.

The ONLY thing you can say about him with concrete assertion (not opinion) is that he has been injured too much and the few times he's played it's been below average and quite poor. Anything after that is nonsense.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:15 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
ARRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Well, he still has his upper body strength, seeing as to how it is the only thing that gets him up off the ice.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:42 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
LMAO! Look through any thread about DP and you will see two things. Early when he was injured people COMPLAINING that he isn't playing. The guy comes back early from injuries and gets hurt. Now they are complaining that he won't retire. Don't you see how reading through these forums can be agonizing? Which is it? Sit and rehab and make sure you are fully healed while fans complain...or come back early. Either way fans are going to complain it seems. Most of the criticism about DP is mind numbing migraine inducing.

Crap about "will to play", contract to long, egotism, selfishness...it's all garbage perception and unless you know the guy you just can't prove it. The only thing concrete is the contract and everyone knows that is not his fault.

The ONLY thing you can say about him with concrete assertion (not opinion) is that he has been injured too much and the few times he's played it's been below average and quite poor. Anything after that is nonsense.
Shall we go back injury through injury to see where he came back WAY TOO SOON and got hurt shortly after? And if you can find where I ever complained he wasn't playing when he was hurt, show me, I must've been drunk, smoking banana peels and listening to Hanson backwards in a Roman toga.

Go read through posts about sizzling bacon and how I lectured some on how he would be supr prone to injury, or how his being so awfully out of position would result in tweaks, tears and pulls. Chronic injuries. He looks fabulous on a routine save because he has to BOLT back into the net to make the save or it's a gimme. Well, did it take its toll? Yep.

On several boards I lamented how awful his style was, and predicted early retirement. We went through his medical fiasco, and I believe several times, I predicted he would strain his opposite knee from early returns, favoring and overstraining his knee. His hip was probably the worst. Concussions no one saw.....but we all know he came back from this one early:

Quote:
- Missed last nine games of the season to hip surgery after injury he sustained during the All-Star Game skills competition (guess he was showing off his injury skills, which are unparalleled)
http://offsidesportsblog.blogspot.co...y-history.html

Hurts hip, plays all season with a damaged joint WHY?????? (but hey, just guessing as no one really knows)

We also remember the concussion where he was out one game then came back to sit out right afterwards with "headaches" meaning he came back too soon?

The knee.....we'll assume he felt no pain and didn't play hurt all those times? Yes, he's competitive, and he competitive'd our record down the drain being Mr. Reliable for all these years.

I hope he gets back to health, just nowhere near my team's lineup card. Not a fan, never was save for when he grew up and helped those animals and fed the homeless hot dog lovers.

He's turned into a rather good guy the past few years (before that he was a pr**k, IMHO) and I wish him well.

"as we all have reasons to feel pensive when he rushes comebacks." - Señor Caustic.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 12-20-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 12:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Well, he still has his upper body strength, seeing as to how it is the only thing that gets him up off the ice.
it used to be competition that would get him off the ice. Remember how hard he fought to get back in when Dubie was hot? (not that that's real competition, but fans started loving ol' Dubie!)

Now back to the discussion as it pertains to #39 ein Deutscheland. (sp?)

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 12-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 07:27 AM
JKP

Been a longtime fan of DiPi and my son has one of his sticks mounted on his wall, but it's just getting harder and harder to see how he recaptures any semblance of his career after so many injuries and so much time away from competitive play.

I wish the man no ill will, and actually I feel a lot of sorry and empathy for him. To come so close to a dream that you want for so long to have it robbed by injuries is sad. Sadder still is how folks on these boards treat the guy.

It would be great if he could come back and play at a high level, but it just is a long shot now

Old
12-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Bexlyspeed

I think you guys are too hard on the Rick, but i understand, its very easy to hate him.
but it wasnt his fault that Milbury traded Luongo and drafted him.
and it wasnt his fault they offered him a 15 year deal, would you really turn that down? and i honestly believe he did it because he wanted to be a part of the team for his entire career.

he has had terrible luck with injuries and probably did rush himself back too soon more than once.

also his contract, although the butt of many jokes from other fans, has NEVER hindered us. in fact we need his contract to make the cap floor.

now im all for they using an amnesty to buy him out if they can, this is because i think Wang will finally spend $$$ on the team again now that Brooklyn is on the
horizon.

the Rick is a bust, no question! but i dont think he's a bad guy and i do feel really bad for him. you wor your whole life to make the NHL and then everything goes horribly wrong, thats sad.

ok Resume Fire

Old
12-20-2012, 09:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

There are those who like Rick and dislike Rick. There are those who love Rick and those who hate how he plays. I don't think ANYONE HATES RICK. But for a few, like some I discuss sizzling bacon with, to love Rick means others must HATE Rick.

So I guess I'm on the FBI list if anything happens to the poor guy if I read some posts correctly.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
I think you guys are too hard on the Rick, but i understand, its very easy to hate him.
but it wasnt his fault that Milbury traded Luongo and drafted him.
and it wasnt his fault they offered him a 15 year deal, would you really turn that down? and i honestly believe he did it because he wanted to be a part of the team for his entire career.

he has had terrible luck with injuries and probably did rush himself back too soon more than once.

also his contract, although the butt of many jokes from other fans, has NEVER hindered us. in fact we need his contract to make the cap floor.

now im all for they using an amnesty to buy him out if they can, this is because i think Wang will finally spend $$$ on the team again now that Brooklyn is on the
horizon.

the Rick is a bust, no question! but i dont think he's a bad guy and i do feel really bad for him. you wor your whole life to make the NHL and then everything goes horribly wrong, thats sad.

ok Resume Fire
He makes 4 million a year for almost forever. I reserve my sadness for people who really deserve it, like those that are lucky to find clean water for the day. So Rick had a dream explode. Join the crowd.

There is one thing that is upsetting about the situation though. He takes up a roster spot when there is a limit on how many you can fill. So while every other team has an extra forward or defenseman, we don't because "he just has to keep trying."

Old
12-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
He makes 4 million a year for almost forever. I reserve my sadness for people who really deserve it, like those that are lucky to find clean water for the day. So Rick had a dream explode. Join the crowd.

There is one thing that is upsetting about the situation though. He takes up a roster spot when there is a limit on how many you can fill. So while every other team has an extra forward or defenseman, we don't because "he just has to keep trying."
It's incredible. Rick 'inspires' people to creepy personal vendettas, holocaust analogies, and (most usually) temporary stupidity.

Him being with the team is not his decision. It is Wang's and Snow's decision. They can send him home.

I agree that keeping Rick with the team despite him not being able to contribute *hurts* the team. But that is a problem easily solved by Snow and Wang: tell him to go home.

Now, there may be a reason for them sticking by him. I believed two years ago that they should do it because the team was going nowhere, and that by indulging Rick you can get him to sign on to better terms for a retirement package (involving other roles in the organization). Two years later with overwhelming evidence that the guy is completely finished as a player, if you can't get him to agree to terms to retire, you should send him home.

Everything changes for the Isles when the league opens up again. They've got a new arena deal. They've got developing young talent that's ready to contribute, including in net. They could be attractive again to free agents. They can no longer afford to keep Rick DiPietro with the team, getting in the way. But that's not up to Rick. Why is this so hard? Blame Snow and Wang.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
12-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:

ok as far as sports go its sad. i didnt intend to put the rick above human suffering.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:42 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's incredible. Rick 'inspires' people to creepy personal vendettas, holocaust analogies, and (most usually) temporary stupidity.

Him being with the team is not his decision. It is Wang's and Snow's decision. They can send him home.

I agree that keeping Rick with the team despite him not being able to contribute *hurts* the team. But that is a problem easily solved by Snow and Wang: tell him to go home.

Now, there may be a reason for them sticking by him. I believed two years ago that they should do it because the team was going nowhere, and that by indulging Rick you can get him to sign on to better terms for a retirement package (involving other roles in the organization). Two years later with overwhelming evidence that the guy is completely finished as a player, if you can't get him to agree to terms to retire, you should send him home.

Everything changes for the Isles when the league opens up again. They've got a new arena deal. They've got developing young talent that's ready to contribute, including in net. They could be attractive again to free agents. They can no longer afford to keep Rick DiPietro with the team, getting in the way. But that's not up to Rick. Why is this so hard? Blame Snow and Wang.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I don't actually see Snow's hand in this so you will need to explain that one to me... but who doesn't blame Wang? He was the author of the second worst contract in the NHL (that immediately blew up in any owner's face.) There is however a relationship there between Rick and Wang that warped this into more than just a greedy owner using an insurance-payout to get around the league minimum salary. It is more than just the contract. Rick is up on the squad because he himself wants to push the envelope and prove he isn't gimped when time and time again it is proven his joints aren't up to it. If Rick was Joe Schmoe on any other team he'd have been retired out or placed on a minor league team just for the recuperative angle while freeing up that extra roster spot. That goes beyond the contract, and beyond the need to meet league minimum salary requirements.

And as much as the "Rick is beyond reproach" crowd doesn't like it, no one in here fabricated the window of honesty he revealed when asked about the competition for goaltending. I get ego and great players, but when you struggle just to get up off the ice, maybe even the center of the Isleverse should perhaps be more contrite with his comments regarding team mates.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
ok as far as sports go its sad. i didnt intend to put the rick above human suffering.
You say sport, I say "making a living." It is just a job, an amazing, wonderful, well paying job, but in the end, it is still a paycheck. I would gladly trade everything just to help the members of my own family who could use the extra money and "suffer" just like him.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
I don't actually see Snow's hand in this so you will need to explain that one to me... but who doesn't blame Wang? He was the author of the second worst contract in the NHL (that immediately blew up in any owner's face.) There is however a relationship there between Rick and Wang that warped this into more than just a greedy owner using an insurance-payout to get around the league minimum salary. It is more than just the contract. Rick is up on the squad because he himself wants to push the envelope and prove he isn't gimped when time and time again it is proven his joints aren't up to it. If Rick was Joe Schmoe on any other team he'd have been retired out or placed on a minor league team just for the recuperative angle while freeing up that extra roster spot. That goes beyond the contract, and beyond the need to meet league minimum salary requirements.

And as much as the "Rick is beyond reproach" crowd doesn't like it, no one in here fabricated the window of honesty he revealed when asked about the competition for goaltending. I get ego and great players, but when you struggle just to get up off the ice, maybe even the center of the Isleverse should perhaps be more contrite with his comments regarding team mates.
Hindsight is 20/20.

The only reason it is a horrible contract is because of Rick's injuries and being injury prone.

If Rick was putting together 35 win seasons? 40 win season? (He had back to back seasons of 30 & 32 wins. Nothing overly amazing, I know.)

If Rick was putting up 35-40 win seasons it would be one of the better contracts in the history of the NHL.

Old
12-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

The only reason it is a horrible contract is because of Rick's injuries and being injury prone.

If Rick was putting together 35 win seasons? 40 win season? (He had back to back seasons of 30 & 32 wins. Nothing overly amazing, I know.)

If Rick was putting up 35-40 win seasons it would be one of the better contracts in the history of the NHL.
it would have been nice if he put up one or 2 of those 35-40 win seasons before they signed him till the end of days though. Rick had some success in the league. no doubt about that. But his contract was based mostly on the potential that he could be a top 5 goalie in the league. Maybe he could have, who knows, but it really wouldn't have hurt the franchise to give him a 4 year deal, let him prove his worth & then sign him long term. From what we know of Rick, he would have been agreeable to resigning here after those 4 years.

Closed Thread