HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This is all correct. Currently you have a coach that makes excuses and admits the coaches care more than the players. The question then becomes why should fans go out and see this team play? One thing people forget about the bid for a Memorial Cup is that they need backing from city council in the form of a financial "donation" and quite frankly with the way this city is right now they shouldn't back the bid in any shape or form.
Rayzor

If thats the case hard to beleive Barrie or Sarnia 2 teams rumored to be putting in a bid would get money from their city councils either,leaving London as the only and we know the troubles with their mayor maybe not a slam dunk either
Btw cant either Barrie or Sarnia are bidding
Windsor in my view deserved it the last time,would have gone all in,would not have traded Shugg and Cantin,or Gruebauer,but the league favors to Melnyk won out and they the Majors could not even win the league title,beaten by a team that I dont think made the playoffs the year before in that of the Owen Sd Attack

Old
12-17-2012, 03:24 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Rayzor

If thats the case hard to beleive Barrie or Sarnia 2 teams rumored to be putting in a bid would get money from their city councils either,leaving London as the only and we know the troubles with their mayor maybe not a slam dunk either
Btw cant either Barrie or Sarnia are bidding
Windsor in my view deserved it the last time,would have gone all in,would not have traded Shugg and Cantin,or Gruebauer,but the league favors to Melnyk won out and they the Majors could not even win the league title,beaten by a team that I dont think made the playoffs the year before in that of the Owen Sd Attack
I think Barrie has made a bid every year with the exception of the 08 one. Sarnia is never going to get it. I can't find a good reason why city council would back a Memorial Cup bid this time around. City council got their big baby when they got FINA.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You just can't rationalize poor performance and chalk it up to the Christmas break.
I'm not saying it's all Christmas break, but I'd imagine part of it is. This team gets at least two points if this weekend happened a month ago.

Quote:
London had 3 games in 2.5 days without their top 3 D and still won all 3.
London could have NO defencemen and they'd win all their games. The team could score seven or eight a game without blinking.

Quote:
amazing how things change in just a couple years.
You read my mind...

As for the game on Sunday - when you're down two of your best d-men, a third one is not nearly 100% (illness), it's going to be a tough test. SSM isn't an easy place to win, regardless of what team you bring up there. Add in Christmas break coming up and expecting two points was tough.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

OHLTG are you trying to say that the Spits are a worse team than they were a month ago because it seems you're saying that because you mentioned if they were to play this stretch a month ago they would have been ok. If they are a worse team currently what are the issues, what can be done to solve those problems? To make you understand the difference between this group and the group of a few years ago. Here's a roster for a game right before Christmas.

Dunning
Bezzo
Wallace
Duininck
Brassard
Seguin
Posa
Lanoue
Shugg
Cundari
Young
Trojanovic
Watson
Wellwood
Mitchell
Whaley
Murphy

That lineup went into Saginaw and won 6-1. Yes the Spits had some talent left over but you can't tell me that team is more talented than the squad that went into Saginaw on Saturday and got pounded. It comes down to work ethic.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
OHLTG are you trying to say that the Spits are a worse team than they were a month ago because it seems you're saying that because you mentioned if they were to play this stretch a month ago they would have been ok. If they are a worse team currently what are the issues, what can be done to solve those problems? To make you understand the difference between this group and the group of a few years ago. Here's a roster for a game right before Christmas.

Dunning
Bezzo
Wallace
Duininck
Brassard
Seguin
Posa
Lanoue
Shugg
Cundari
Young
Trojanovic
Watson
Wellwood
Mitchell
Whaley
Murphy

That lineup went into Saginaw and won 6-1. Yes the Spits had some talent left over but you can't tell me that team is more talented than the squad that went into Saginaw on Saturday and got pounded. It comes down to work ethic.
First off, Windsor didn't get "pounded" in Saginaw this weekend. It was a 2-0 game VERY quick because of a slow start. In fact, I believe they were outshooting the Spirit at one point. They lost 6-3, but it's not as if they didn't show up and the Spirit walked all over them.

Second, my point had nothing to do with the talent level on this team. I was saying that, because of the holidays now, the team is probably looking forward to the break, even a bit. That plays a part. I think we'd be naive to believe any different. All of us have been in that position, whether it's for sports or something else (looking past our current situation to the future).

Old
12-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Ottomatic

So why is our team looking towards the holidays and yet none of the three teams we played seemed to suffer from the same lack of focus due to coming holidays?

Old
12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
So why is our team looking towards the holidays and yet none of the three teams we played seemed to suffer from the same lack of focus due to coming holidays?
I'm not saying it's the ONLY thing, but I can't believe it didn't play a part.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:14 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
First off, Windsor didn't get "pounded" in Saginaw this weekend. It was a 2-0 game VERY quick because of a slow start. In fact, I believe they were outshooting the Spirit at one point. They lost 6-3, but it's not as if they didn't show up and the Spirit walked all over them.

Second, my point had nothing to do with the talent level on this team. I was saying that, because of the holidays now, the team is probably looking forward to the break, even a bit. That plays a part. I think we'd be naive to believe any different. All of us have been in that position, whether it's for sports or something else (looking past our current situation to the future).
Down 5-1 halfway through the game and losing 6-3 is getting pounded. When your coach says the effort wasn't there it speaks volumes. You don't have to try and rationalize a horrible weekend. Boughner loves to use the term empty the tanks after this weekend I think it's safe to say they didn't empty their tanks.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
youngblood10

Does anyone know what day the Spits will be coming back from their Christmas holiday? The OHL says they have a game on the 27th in London. But maybe the Spits want to wait until after the new year and start playing on the 4th in Sarnia?

Old
12-17-2012, 09:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Does anyone know what day the Spits will be coming back from their Christmas holiday? The OHL says they have a game on the 27th in London. But maybe the Spits want to wait until after the new year and start playing on the 4th in Sarnia?
They practice on the 26th at least that's what the paper said. Work in practice is optional.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Down 5-1 halfway through the game and losing 6-3 is getting pounded. When your coach says the effort wasn't there it speaks volumes. You don't have to try and rationalize a horrible weekend. Boughner loves to use the term empty the tanks after this weekend I think it's safe to say they didn't empty their tanks.
Rayzor
A couple of pts,i disagree about being pounded vs Saginaw yes down 5-1,did not give up got to 5-3 went on pp with a few minutes when Ebert got slashed had to leave the game,leaving Windsor without their 2 pt men Murphy already injured and not dressed,a shorthanded goal finishes them,I hardly think being outshot 45-41 is being blitzed,while they did not deserve to win that game,losing a couple players did not help,they did quit
Actually the thing that riles me more was the lack of discpline E.Clark displayed near the end of the game,getting tossed and now suspended,when he knows the roster will be depleted further by his actions
Even Sunday Boughner admitted played hard,got some tough breaks against, but still do enough to win despite a roster depleted lineup with 4 regs out,plus 2 who probably would not have played under different circumstances in Ebert and Sanvido,not an excuse but a big factor
The team did not quit not going kick them when they are in a tough stretch

Old
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

I just don't like giving the team a crutch to lean on when times are tough. I imagine every team can find a stretch where the team was shorthanded at some point. Will they point to Sieloff and Ho-Sang being out if they lose to London and Saginaw after the break? It doesn't get any easier London has won 21 in a row, Saginaw handled Windsor on Saturday and Plymouth has played well against Windsor this year. If you have to coach effort and don't know what team is going to show up I think your team is in trouble.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I just don't like giving the team a crutch to lean on when times are tough. I imagine every team can find a stretch where the team was shorthanded at some point. Will they point to Sieloff and Ho-Sang being out if they lose to London and Saginaw after the break? It doesn't get any easier London has won 21 in a row, Saginaw handled Windsor on Saturday and Plymouth has played well against Windsor this year. If you have to coach effort and don't know what team is going to show up I think your team is in trouble.
No doubt times are challenging and wont be any better up until the trade deadline,with Hosang,Seiloff,Clarke and Clark all missing ,though I expect Murphy back in after the break
Players missing whether thru injury or committments usually affect most teams,they to me are factors but not excuses for not being successful
It will interesting to see how Saginaw does without Trochek,we already know Plymouth has coped so far without Noesen and Rackell and Wilson,Sarnia without Galchenyuk and Murphy, and now Windsor too
Its the 1st time since Hall and Ellis that a 16 year old missing from the lineup will be felt in the name of Hosang

Old
12-17-2012, 09:52 PM
OHLTG

Rayzor, I don't think anyone is arguing the weekend wasn't the best for the team. The effort wasn't as strong on Saturday as it could have been and frustrations played a part in SSM, too. The thing is, though, that when you have:

Sieloff, Sanvido, Clark, Clarke, Ebert, and Murphy either out or injured for a part of the weekend, that's a big chunk of your team.

Sure, you can easily say "eh, where's the depth? We've had it before so we should have it now", but that doesn't mean it doesn't shake your confidence. Give the kids a bit of a break. Go out and lose that talent and tell me you're going to do much against two very tough home teams.

Let's see what happens over the Christmas holidays. They've got the chance to go home, recharge their batteries, and come out strong against London. Just don't go on a "see? They're horrrrrible!" rant if they don't beat the Knights

Old
12-17-2012, 10:11 PM
RayzorIsDull

No rant if they lose to London. I don't think they win until after January 1st. Winning and losing doesn't seem to matter. If they win it's ok, if they lose it's ok. Might set a record in futility for GF. Why would these top guys like Allen and Schmaltz want to come to Windsor when they have absolutely nobody to pass the puck to? Windsor isn't a place to showcase your talents now it's a place where your talents go to waste just ask guys like Maletta, Bateman, Clarke, Johnson all came in with good hype and what?

Old
12-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Ottomatic

Windsor doesn't deserve a Mem Cup. I just hope London doesn't get it either given Branch screwed over a potential three-peat for us and London could be going to their third Mem Cup in a row come next season as well.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Rubbers29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Windsor doesn't deserve a Mem Cup. I just hope London doesn't get it either given Branch screwed over a potential three-peat for us and London could be going to their third Mem Cup in a row come next season as well.
I wouldnt say Branch "screwed over a potential three-peat ", Did he screw you out of hosting, absolutely, Windsor were back to back Champions and still had a solid team year 3, I think they deserved to host way more than Mississauga, Given had they have hosted a few more players would have probably gone their way rather than to Missy, But Windsor still had a great chance to make it through the front door, (which branch had no control over) unfortunately for Windsor they ran into an "Awakened Bear" (pun Intended) in Owen Sound that after taking an 8th place London team to lightly in round 1 really came together and didn't look back. Had they hosted and made it just because of that fact, I dont think you enjoy it near as much earning your spot like they had the previous 2 years
If London does somehow make it this year AND host next year, I dont think you see much hoopla about being in the tournament 3 years in row if they dont win! to me last year the Knights were OHL champions, they participated in the Memorial cup but did not win, therefore not an acomplishment, this isnt grade 3 and no one wants a participation ribbon

Last edited by Rubbers29: 12-17-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old
12-17-2012, 11:33 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
No rant if they lose to London. I don't think they win until after January 1st. Winning and losing doesn't seem to matter. If they win it's ok, if they lose it's ok. Might set a record in futility for GF. Why would these top guys like Allen and Schmaltz want to come to Windsor when they have absolutely nobody to pass the puck to? Windsor isn't a place to showcase your talents now it's a place where your talents go to waste just ask guys like Maletta, Bateman, Clarke, Johnson all came in with good hype and what?
Might as well just move the team

Old
12-18-2012, 12:06 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Might as well just move the team
I heard a guy on the Lions pregame radio show call in and seriously suggest moving the franchise and starting from scratch with an expansion team to escape the clubs apparent curse. I'd probably agree with him if I hadn't seen what Rychel and Boughner did in Windsor to erase our horribly cursed franchise. It gives one hope that it only takes people who know what they are doing and a committed ownership to turn around a bum franchise. The shift was so monumental for us, from the rectum of the hockey universe to the model franchise in the CHL, that you can still see the residue among the fans during our current struggles. It's as if people are terrified that our recent success is a fluke, and we'll go back to being a bunch of scrubs. I'm disappointed in the club as well this year, but I'm not going to cry about it. There's still good pieces in place, competent people in charge with the ability to fix the situation, and the desire to win is a priority. So many OHL fans would die for that in their own cities.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:49 AM
punch1943

Ottawa Sellers? Who might interest the Spits?

Ottawa 67's are, according to speculation in the Ottawa Citizen, shopping a number of players that just might fill some holes in the currant Spit roster. Ottawa sits in second last place in the OHL and it appears that they'd be willing to move a number of players who can get them back draft picks or younger players.
http://t.co/ZaAV4Hr4

While the Spits don't have the draft picks to trade, they do have some younger players with potential they could deal.

The trio of 19-year-old forwards Tyler Graovac, Steven Janes and Remy Giftopoulos are said to be on the market. Also O/A import defenceman Michal Cajkovsky is rumoured available.

The other name mentioned is Cody Ceci a 2009 OHL 1st rd draft pick and a 2012 NHL 1st round draft pick of Ottawa.

I don't pretend to know a lot about these player that isn't obvious.......that being said WR spoke only a few days ago about acquiring a couple of forwards to bolster the scoring and possibly an offensive D-man.

The market for O/A import defenceman Michal Cajkovsky will be limited because he takes up 2 slots (O/A and import). Not many contenders will have room for this physical D-Man but the Spits have the room. If Koko doesn't return Cajkovsky might be a valuable addition for the balance of the season.

If trading for one of the 19 yr olds the Spits would probably aim for one who would potentially be back as an overager.

Ceci is too good to be back as an O/A.

IMHO this would be a cosmetic change, something that might possibly get us into the playoffs and help out next year.
Perhaps someone else might know of other potentially available players that would alter the face of the team.....

Old
12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
izzys

I haven't talked to my guy yet hes out of town for acouple of days

but last night i was a johnny shotz and the oshawa gm / owner ( rocco / and i forget the gms name ) with dj was there in a meeting with wr and bb and matos

does anyone know who the spits would be looking at with oshawa and who is oshawa looking at with the spits ?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:40 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I heard a guy on the Lions pregame radio show call in and seriously suggest moving the franchise and starting from scratch with an expansion team to escape the clubs apparent curse. I'd probably agree with him if I hadn't seen what Rychel and Boughner did in Windsor to erase our horribly cursed franchise. It gives one hope that it only takes people who know what they are doing and a committed ownership to turn around a bum franchise. The shift was so monumental for us, from the rectum of the hockey universe to the model franchise in the CHL, that you can still see the residue among the fans during our current struggles. It's as if people are terrified that our recent success is a fluke, and we'll go back to being a bunch of scrubs. I'm disappointed in the club as well this year, but I'm not going to cry about it. There's still good pieces in place, competent people in charge with the ability to fix the situation, and the desire to win is a priority. So many OHL fans would die for that in their own cities.
Good post,I agree with everything you say,geez 2 and 1/2 years from 2 mem cups and then a final 4,start a rebuild and then the world is caving in when success is not instant
Have they disappointed in the 1st half yes they have overall
Goaltending has not been an issue,defence is young and improving,though we need to see more,upfront not nearly enough talent,though I do think at least 4 or 5 can produce more
While it has nothing to do with next yr the loss of Khoklachev for this year has certainly contributed,he has not been replaced and loss of his production has been felt throughout the lineup,affecting all 3 lines,my guess if he were here the Spits would be probably have 6-8 more pts putting them right there with Sarnia for the division,and Kitchener for the conference,maybe 4 or 5th overall
Think Sarnia without Galchenyuk or Puempel for Kitchener,or Kosmachuck for Guelph,it makes a difference not an excuse a factor
Spitfires record against the 4 1st place teams in the leagues divisions is a respectable 3-3-1-1
It goes like this
London- 1-1
Sarnia-1-1-0-1
Oshawa1-0-0-0
Barrie-0-1-1-0
Its Owen Sd 0-3,the last 2 on the road,and Plymouth 0-2,both losses on the road thats been a problem,of course Plymouth always wins in the reg season against,not in the playoffs as all remember
Its inconsistency that has hampered this team all season,no more evident then the last 3 games prior to the break
Windsor"s best players have not been their best and a big reason for the stumbling of late

Old
12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
I haven't talked to my guy yet hes out of town for acouple of days

but last night i was a johnny shotz and the oshawa gm / owner ( rocco / and i forget the gms name ) with dj was there in a meeting with wr and bb and matos

does anyone know who the spits would be looking at with oshawa and who is oshawa looking at with the spits ?
The Oshawa Gm is Jeff Twohey
a potential deal I am hearing is Maletta,Bateman and Pavelka to Oshawa for Cassels,Altshuller,Uvira and a 3rd rd pick
Makes sense to me in ways for both,Oshawa I think wants an upgrade in goal and Pavelka has been outstanding for Windsor,Bateman gives them a young D-man with Petgrave and Schemitsch graduating,Maletta gives them a big forward who may develop with another team,for Windsor,Cassels brings youth and some talent same age as Maletta,Altshuller a 94 born replaces Pavelka and sets up for next yr with a then 18 year old Dekort,Uvira is a big body Euro forward with some skill,he did have a 13 goal year last,same age as Pavelka a 93,and then theres the all important draft pick to help restock
The edc packages lineup for Maletta Bateman,Cassels and Altshuller,Spits dont have to worry about an Euro o/a goalie next yr,Uvira if he does produce could be an O/A Euro forward if not Spits have openings for at least 2 O/As next yr maybe 3 if Lorentz does not pick up his offense
I think a deal like this works for both,Oshawa gets a little younger with no drop in talent,while Windsor unloads underdeveloping players in Maletta and Bateman,while Pavelka gets a chance to win,at the same time Spits get a younger NHl drafted goalie and more flexibility re O/as next yr as well as a much needed forward in Uvira who brings a degree of suitable size,skill and toughness
Food for thought I think

Old
12-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbers29 View Post
I wouldnt say Branch "screwed over a potential three-peat ", Did he screw you out of hosting, absolutely, Windsor were back to back Champions and still had a solid team year 3, I think they deserved to host way more than Mississauga, Given had they have hosted a few more players would have probably gone their way rather than to Missy, But Windsor still had a great chance to make it through the front door, (which branch had no control over) unfortunately for Windsor they ran into an "Awakened Bear" (pun Intended) in Owen Sound that after taking an 8th place London team to lightly in round 1 really came together and didn't look back. Had they hosted and made it just because of that fact, I dont think you enjoy it near as much earning your spot like they had the previous 2 years
If London does somehow make it this year AND host next year, I dont think you see much hoopla about being in the tournament 3 years in row if they dont win! to me last year the Knights were OHL champions, they participated in the Memorial cup but did not win, therefore not an acomplishment, this isnt grade 3 and no one wants a participation ribbon
I did say potential three-peat. And the reason why Windsor didn't try to go through the front door was because Windsor wants to host so figured they'd start building for 2014 (Hence the trading of Shugg and Cantin for Ebert and Kerby) right off the bat and the plan on trading Kassian and Ellis for a Kings Ransom.

We would have been a much different team if we never traded Cantin and Shugg and decided to go for it regardless. But after going through the front door twice in back-to-back years we were looking at an uphill climb and I think we more than earned the backdoor shot to host and win three-straight.

But Branch also promised Melnyk and Eugene wanted to cash in with the host gig and then sell out of the league.

I HATE Branch's guts, and wouldn't piss on his leg if his pants were on fire.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The Oshawa Gm is Jeff Twohey
a potential deal I am hearing is Maletta,Bateman and Pavelka to Oshawa for Cassels,Altshuller,Uvira and a 3rd rd pick
Makes sense to me in ways for both,Oshawa I think wants an upgrade in goal and Pavelka has been outstanding for Windsor,Bateman gives them a young D-man with Petgrave and Schemitsch graduating,Maletta gives them a big forward who may develop with another team,for Windsor,Cassels brings youth and some talent same age as Maletta,Altshuller a 94 born replaces Pavelka and sets up for next yr with a then 18 year old Dekort,Uvira is a big body Euro forward with some skill,he did have a 13 goal year last,same age as Pavelka a 93,and then theres the all important draft pick to help restock
The edc packages lineup for Maletta Bateman,Cassels and Altshuller,Spits dont have to worry about an Euro o/a goalie next yr,Uvira if he does produce could be an O/A Euro forward if not Spits have openings for at least 2 O/As next yr maybe 3 if Lorentz does not pick up his offense
I think a deal like this works for both,Oshawa gets a little younger with no drop in talent,while Windsor unloads underdeveloping players in Maletta and Bateman,while Pavelka gets a chance to win,at the same time Spits get a younger NHl drafted goalie and more flexibility re O/as next yr as well as a much needed forward in Uvira who brings a degree of suitable size,skill and toughness
Food for thought I think
Sounds way too good to be true. But maybe if they are meeting in person it's more to consummate a done deal or something. One could hope.

Closed Thread