HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I am still watching the playoffs, and it's time we look at reality

Old
06-02-2006, 06:40 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
They may not have been doing it right, but they're doing it better than we are. And then some people want to throw a parade because we went to a game 7 vs Tampa like it's some great accomplishment that the team actually didn't either choke or quit.
Quick question for you:

Rutherford and Clarke became GM's of their respective teams prior to the 1995 season. Which would you rather have ?

Rutherford

Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Lost in round 1
Missed playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in Stanley Cup Finals
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Playing in the Stanley Cup Finals

Clarke

Lost in ECF
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in ECF
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in ECF
Lost in round 1

BTW if you're not extremely proud of what the Flyers did in 2004, 1987, and in 1985 I'd suggest finding something else to be passionate about. In case you haven't noticed it's hard to win the Cup.

You need to be great, and also have luck on your side.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
I personally still don't want to hear about it. Injuires is a cop out excuse for not having enough depth, and I'll go over to the main boards and tell it right to them. A lot of people questioned Buffalo's depth and they had moves to make to get some defensemen and they didn't do it and the result was that they had to play their 9th and 10th defensemen in a game 7.
you don't win the SC finals on depth like that. you need the 2nd, maybe 3rd guy into the lineup. healthy teams win championships, injured teams do not win championships. this is true of EVERY sport. you need the depth to get through the regular season, but when it is best on best and it's a fine line, you need your best players on the ice to have continued success... depth is nice, but it is tough to win a cup on depth... you win the cup with your first-team.

don't want people to whine about it? fine. but to suggest that it isn't a factor in how a game, season, etc. plays out is absolutely ridiculous. AHL players aren't as good as NHL players, that's why they're AHL players. there is NO AHL team that can win the cup... you can do the inductive proof based off of that.

argue all you want about home-ice advantage. EVERY statistical indicator is backing up the fact that home-ice matters. what Edmonton has accomplished is rare, and does not indicate anything that is remotely within the norm. it's very important to win your division (we would have gotten the NYR and been through the 2nd round most likely), and if possible get the number one. home-ice is one factor, the other is that you are most likely to have the easiest match-up in each round and that is important when you are looking at playing a possible 28 tough games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Quick question for you:

Rutherford and Clarke became GM's of their respective teams prior to the 1995 season. Which would you rather have ?

Rutherford

Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Lost in round 1
Missed playoffs
Lost in round 1
Missed playoffs
Missed playoffs
Playing in the Stanley Cup Finals

Clarke

Lost in ECF
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in ECF
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in ECF
Lost in round 1

BTW if you're not extremely proud of what the Flyers did in 2004, 1987, and in 1985 I'd suggest finding something else to be passionate about. In case you haven't noticed it's hard to win the Cup.

You need to be great, and also have luck on your side.

We're going back 10 years? This is a time where it is all about 'what have you done for me lately.' Rutherford was also thrown into a bad situation when he was hired in Hartford when Karmanos wanted the team to do bad because he wanted to move them. You're also missing some of the ways that the Flyers went down. I would have much rather had a poor season than lose the way we did in 2001 (when we all knew the Flyers had no chance to win), 2002 and 2003 (both times the team quit). The way you have it it looks much better for Clarke. When you look at the last 5 years it looks much better for Rutherford, especially since he got to draft Staal and Ladd

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
We're going back 10 years? This is a time where it is all about 'what have you done for me lately.' Rutherford was also thrown into a bad situation when he was hired in Hartford when Karmanos wanted the team to do bad because he wanted to move them. You're also missing some of the ways that the Flyers went down. I would have much rather had a poor season than lose the way we did in 2001 (when we all knew the Flyers had no chance to win), 2002 and 2003 (both times the team quit). The way you have it it looks much better for Clarke. When you look at the last 5 years it looks much better for Rutherford, especially since he got to draft Staal and Ladd
they missed the playoffs twice... that doesn't make any sense. sure they got higher draft picks, go them. Clarke pulled in Pitkanen, Carter, and Richards...

impossible to judge GM's for this season, it's a different animal. 3-5 years is going to be necessary before you really see how these guys adapt at building teams.

Old
06-02-2006, 04:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
impossible to judge GM's for this season, it's a different animal. 3-5 years is going to be necessary before you really see how these guys adapt at building teams.

Unfortunetaly, we don't have 3-5 years to wait.

Old
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Unfortunetaly, we don't have 3-5 years to wait.
Why? I'm not going anywhere.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
yeah... exactly. is the NHL not going to exist anymore?

Old
06-02-2006, 06:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

You may not be going anywhere but Peter Forsberg will be at some point. We didn't get Forsberg to show the other guys how to win, we got him to do it himself.

The time is now. When you make the playoffs every year, the object isn't to get experience to the young kids it's to win 16 games

Old
06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
You may not be going anywhere but Peter Forsberg will be at some point. We didn't get Forsberg to show the other guys how to win, we got him to do it himself.

The time is now. When you make the playoffs every year, the object isn't to get experience to the young kids it's to win 16 games
Forsberg isn't the be all and end all for the Flyers success. In fact, in five years, the Flyers are going to be scary good, with or without Foppa. Additionally, the RFA age will be lowered to twenty-seven in five years so Clarke will be able to address any holes with young talent.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 04:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Forsberg isn't the be all and end all for the Flyers success.

I've been saying that since the trade deadline. However, when you get a guy like that, you gotta go for it.