HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 06:27 PM
PRNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I've said it a thousand times, don't just draft big overagers that might become a grinder for us in the later rounds. Take really skilled guys that fell due to injury concerns/KHL worries, so on the off chance it pays off, we can get an actual impact player.
Oh that's another thing, he's got to get over his fear of Russians.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:59 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
On the + side it's been a bit better than Burke/Nonis where the Nucks never had picks in that range... or took Ellingtons...
I don't think the 2/3 round picks have been better than Nonis at all, and probably still on par with Burke's awful history in those rounds. Nonis had two 2nds and two 3rds in his 3 years and got us Edler and Raymond with those picks. 2/4 is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Oh that's another thing, he's got to get over his fear of Russians.
This is most likely a myth. Russians are rarely drafted in the later rounds, so Gillis has had very few opportunities to draft one. The only Russian picked that would have been prudent for Gillis to select was Orlov in 2008. Instead he took Rodin, which in hindsight looks like a mistake, but at the time he thought Rodin was a 1st round talent who slipped.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
This is most likely a myth. Russians are rarely drafted in the later rounds, so Gillis has had very few opportunities to draft one. The only Russian picked that would have been prudent for Gillis to select was Orlov in 2008. Instead he took Rodin, which in hindsight looks like a mistake, but at the time he thought Rodin was a 1st round talent who slipped.
There are plenty of Russians we could have drafted. This past draft Tampa Bay drafted Nikita Gusev on a hunch that he would eventually come to the NHL. (he was at almost 2 ppg in the MHL last year).

Then there's also Slepyshev, who I believe was a first overall pick in the KHL, but didn't get drafted. Take a flyer on some of these guys, and if you can even convince one of them to come over after, say 3 years of doing this, it will be far more worthwhile even if all of Beattie, Hutton, whoever end up making our 4th line.

Also, have you noticed we don't have a single Russian player on our team? Gillis really has to get over whatever his problem is, because we could use any talent we can get.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Anyone think it's strange how it seems the Wolves coaches made the correct choice in keeping Andersson with the team, yet they're also keeping Sauve up in Chicago?

Old
12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
i agree that gillis seems to be (perhaps unfairly) staying away from russians, but let's not start drafting them just for the sake of drafting russians

Old
12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
i agree that gillis seems to be (perhaps unfairly) staying away from russians, but let's not start drafting them just for the sake of drafting russians
Of course not. I want him to draft high-risk, high reward prospects who have fallen as opposed to slightly safer ones whose max upside are a third liner, as it's far easier to acquire those players via trade/UFA.

Signing McEneny was a good move, imo, because of that.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:30 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Sorry it's been a while old forum friends, but how has my fav, Eddie Lack been doing? Statistically his season looks disappointing. Has he lost a bit of edge/confidence to his game, because his key component was just that, his big confidence and equally big ego or is he a product of the team's system not fulfilling assignments? Or... yes, or again! Is it a little from column A and a little from column B?
Hey PensFan6687, good to see you around! Unfortunately Lack's been injured, so we won't be getting to see him play for another little whole yet.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Of course not. I want him to draft high-risk, high reward prospects who have fallen as opposed to slightly safer ones whose max upside are a third liner, as it's far easier to acquire those players via trade/UFA.
i don't think that's the problem considering gillis went off the board to pick big late bloomers that put up points and a goalie who went on a hot streak the past two drafts. imo the problem is the ability, or inability in this case, to assess whether these "high risk high reward" players really have as big a reward as they think they do.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:53 PM
thefeebster

Personally I'm fine without taking any Russians. Call me a xenophobe, whatever, but I'm okay with our late round choices (minus Hannay) and would prefer avoiding Russians in the late rounds, especially those that are not in north america yet. The likelihood of them ever coming over a slim. There's a reason why every single team passed on Slepyshev; he isn't coming over.

I agree that we should shoot for high risk/reward players in those low risk late rounds, maybe find the next JC Lipon/Pearson/Perron ahead of time. But as Pahlsson said, our scouts do seem to have trouble finding these players.

Hutton has shown the most promise so far in their post draft seasons. Not sure if it is fair to lump him into a level of 4th line scrubs. From a couple ppl i've talked to they would put him on Hockey East's all rookie all star team, right after Matheson and Grzelcyk. Fairly good company to be with, even if he isn't a true freshman.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I have no problem with his "outside the box" late round picks, it's the Mallett and Grenier picks that make me die inside.
Oh, I'm a fan of the College guys too, it's just that I'll find it funny if they all pan out, when people dislike Gillis ignoring CHL players in the later rounds.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Personally I'm fine without taking any Russians. Call me a xenophobe, whatever, but I'm okay with our late round choices (minus Hannay) and would prefer avoiding Russians in the late rounds, especially those that are not in north america yet. The likelihood of them ever coming over a slim. There's a reason why every single team passed on Slepyshev; he isn't coming over.
I think you are right about the low-mid tier Russians, I can't blame them for not coming over when they can do as well or better at home. With the way the NHL lockout is going I could see more of the high end ones signing deals there. I wonder if Yakupov is regretting his ELC yet.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
There are plenty of Russians we could have drafted. This past draft Tampa Bay drafted Nikita Gusev on a hunch that he would eventually come to the NHL. (he was at almost 2 ppg in the MHL last year).

Then there's also Slepyshev, who I believe was a first overall pick in the KHL, but didn't get drafted. Take a flyer on some of these guys, and if you can even convince one of them to come over after, say 3 years of doing this, it will be far more worthwhile even if all of Beattie, Hutton, whoever end up making our 4th line.

Also, have you noticed we don't have a single Russian player on our team? Gillis really has to get over whatever his problem is, because we could use any talent we can get.
Saw Gusev play in Moscow last year in the KHL.

Not impresses. Looks like a lazy cherry picking floater.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

I agree that we should shoot for high risk/reward players in those low risk late rounds, maybe find the next JC Lipon/Pearson/Perron ahead of time. But as Pahlsson said, our scouts do seem to have trouble finding these players.

Hutton has shown the most promise so far in their post draft seasons. Not sure if it is fair to lump him into a level of 4th line scrubs. From a couple ppl i've talked to they would put him on Hockey East's all rookie all star team, right after Matheson and Grzelcyk. Fairly good company to be with, even if he isn't a true freshman.

Ugh.. I hate being right about players in my own backyard but I was yelling to pick Lipon with our 7th this last year. He showed sign of skill last year but it was his work ethic/skating that had him stand out. It shouldn't be a fan that identifies the "what if he develops a little more skill" potential in a player. That being said all NHL teams passed on him and at the time I felt like I was being a homer calling for Lipon to be drafted.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:29 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Saw Gusev play in Moscow last year in the KHL.

Not impresses. Looks like a lazy cherry picking floater.
He was an overager too. Not sure why we want to stay away from NA overagers to pick Russian overagers...

Old
12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Ugh.. I hate being right about players in my own backyard but I was yelling to pick Lipon with our 7th this last year. He showed sign of skill last year but it was his work ethic/skating that had him stand out. It shouldn't be a fan that identifies the "what if he develops a little more skill" potential in a player. That being said all NHL teams passed on him and at the time I felt like I was being a homer calling for Lipon to be drafted.
submit you name to Gillis as the new western scout. you are already one up on the rest of ours

Old
12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hit to the head (elbow) of Bill Sweatt, looks concussed. No penalty either. This is getting downright ridiculous. Sweatt needs help getting off the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That was embarrasing. **** AHL refs. This will be at least a 5 game suspension when its reviewed.
3 game suspension.

Quote:
The American Hockey League today announced that Lake Erie Monsters left wing Patrick Bordeleau has been suspended for three (3) games as a consequence of an elbowing incident in a game vs. Chicago on Dec. 15.

Bordeleau will miss Lake Erie’s games Wednesday (Dec. 19) vs. Toronto and Thursday (Dec. 20) and Saturday (Dec. 22) vs. Houston.
http://theahl.com/ahl-announces-suspension-p180894

Old
12-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Not bad. Well deserved suspension. I hope Sweatt recovers quickly and this doesn't turn into a huge ordeal for him.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Tiranis

Well, this 11am start time is great for me as I'm in Japan and jet lagged (2am here). Curious to see if Rodin is back finally or if he's still injured.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Nuck This

Any stream?

Old
12-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

How far ahead of PST is CST? 1 hour?

Old
12-19-2012, 11:08 AM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Any stream?
Yeah, any help here? Got up early for this one.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
How far ahead of PST is CST? 1 hour?
Yes.

Edit, actually, I might be wrong. I think it's two hours.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Yes.
2 hours actually..you forgot about mountain standard time in the middle

Old
12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Tiranis

The game is about to start (so yeah, 2 hours). Not sure about a stream, just watching on the AHL website.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
arsmaster

Keep us updated I can't find a stream.

Closed Thread