HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

The Ignorance of Mental Health...

Old
12-14-2012, 02:57 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
The Ignorance of Mental Health...

I wanted to start a thread outside the political forum to discuss mental health. It is one of the least understood medical conditions and one of the hardest to diagnosis. In many cases, there are no physical indicators and since some issues are so similar, it's hard to separate them at all. Many, many people don't really understand what a mental illness is and society as a whole isn't really equip to deal with people that have mental illnesses. Many people that are ignorant, simply don't understand or understand a vague part of the issue. It's like telling a person who has cancer to walk it off. Furthermore, some symptoms mask other worse conditions, so the probability of a misdiagnosis is high and it can take years of therapy to actually fix the issue.

This thread is discuss mental illness and any questions relating to those issues.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Completely agreed. It's a real shame how much misinformation there is out there in regards to mental health. People may blame themselves based on this misinformation, the whole idea like you said, to walk it off.

I also think it's quite unfortunate that mental health resources aren't used to their full potential, perhaps due to some feelings of taboo still surrounding it. Anyone with any problem, or those who suspecting that something is wrong, go and seek attention. It's easier for someone suffering from something like Schizophrenia to get said attention. But so many people live with the likes of anxiety and depression, but don't get the recommended help. There is literally no shame in doing so. Like you said, you wouldn't feel shameful if you went to a doctor for cancer, would you?

The resources are out there, use them, if for anyone, do it yourself.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Completely agreed. It's a real shame how much misinformation there is out there in regards to mental health. People may blame themselves based on this misinformation, the whole idea like you said, to walk it off.

I also think it's quite unfortunate that mental health resources aren't used to their full potential, perhaps due to some feelings of taboo still surrounding it. Anyone with any problem, or those who suspecting that something is wrong, go and seek attention. It's easier for someone suffering from something like Schizophrenia to get said attention. But so many people live with the likes of anxiety and depression, but don't get the recommended help. There is literally no shame in doing so. Like you said, you wouldn't feel shameful if you went to a doctor for cancer, would you?

This is true. Especially for the taboo part. This especially apparent in men. I never understood why it was looked down upon to seek help for mental health issues. If I didn't get put on anti-depressants for most of high school, I'd probably be dead now. They do however need to do more research into anti-depressants. They are prescribed too often and they have too many adverse effects. I eventually stopped taking the anti-depressants after I started having suicidal thoughts that were worse than if I wasn't taking them.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:47 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Yeah the medication is whacked in some cases. It works for some people, not for all. It's so difficult to find a good doctor and good medication. Furthermore, I think it starts with health care. Mental illnesses are still a bit ambiguous here in the United States and many health plans don't cover mental health. In fact, they can deny insurance based off of mental health but in the same brush not cover it. Screwed up huh?

Old
12-14-2012, 05:17 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:

Unfortunately, we have been raised with a culture of how our behavior is about our attitude and if we just tried harder and had a better one, we'd be functioning like everyone else. The plain truth of the matter is as many as 1 in 5 people has a mental illness/health disorder. Unlike the other 80%, the people that are actually sick cannot "just get over it. In all fairness, it's very hard to understand if you haven't had it. This is why I respect Daniel Alfredsson so much. Anyone can get behind physical diseases like cancer, but most people would be frightened to be associated with the stigma of mental illness. Did you notice how many other NHLers rushed to join him? Nobody or almost nobody?

At any rate, there's another dark side of mental illness...medication. While many people need it, I was prescribed Paxil after a whole 15 minutes of speaking to a doctor I'd never met before. I was told it was safe "Except for the 6-8 initial weeks you may feel worse, oh and occasionally people become suicidal". I decided against it. Instead I quit my job which required interacting with hundreds of people a day. A student loan and a 5 month course later, and I had a different job which required me mostly to interact with seniors and only a handful. While my panic/anxiety has never completely left, I am 1000 times better and med free.Did I mention that Paxil is no longer sold for various reasons, including that whole "It'll make you worst first" thing, oh yeah and it can cause serious birth defects in your child should you be a woman and have one. At the time I nearly took it, I was only 28, in the the prime of my childbearing years. I am now closer to the twilight heading down the backend of my 30's , and due to my avoidance of most social situations, probably won't have one. But it's nice to know that if I do, major organ defects aren't more of a risk.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:01 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

My mental health is one of the things I'm most grateful for

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=822006

There's a long standing thread on concussions on the BOH.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Well with the tragic events that took place today, this thread becomes even more relevant.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
To paraphrase Robert Sapolsky, the thing that people don't understand about depression is that it's every bit as much a biological disorder as, say, juvenile diabetes.... but you wouldn't sit down a diabetic and tell them, "Oh come on, what's with this insulin stuff? Stop babying yourself, pull it together," would you?

And that's what those who suffer from depression have to deal with on a daily basis, on top of the uncontrollable, reasonless grief, guilt and even delusion that comes with depression in the first place.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'm fortunate and haven't suffered from depression. I could very well be in denial. However, unless you actually experience, or know someone who goes through it and you actually have them open up about it, you're going to be completely ignorant about it.

Everyone gets depressed for whatever reason.

The stigmas of mental health are usually people who are introverts, socially awkward and even worse, seem to be below average in intelligence. Just because a person doesn't socialize the same as other people doesn't mean there's something wrong mentally.

Ignorance with mental health is and more than likely will be a long standing condition people don't quite understand and just prescribe medications to balance some chemicals your mind to think you're normal until the effect wears off.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:58 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

depression is not real and if it is it's caused by the very meds that are meant to help it. Go find a bottle of anti depression pills it says on the bottle they will make you want to kill yourself.
Seems anti productive to me.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
depression is not real and if it is it's caused by the very meds that are meant to help it. Go find a bottle of anti depression pills it says on the bottle they will make you want to kill yourself.
Seems anti productive to me.
Why exactly do you think depression is not real?

Old
12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Always shake my head when someone posts a story about suicide and people invariably call the person selfish or a coward.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:27 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Also, you know what doesn't make depressed people feel better? Telling them their lives could be a lot worse and they should be thankful instead.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:54 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Why exactly do you think depression is not real?
like I said the fact that the very meds that are meant to help it says on the bottle they will make you want to kill yourself. This leads me to wonder if "depression" is not something that cab be stopped by NOT taking the medication as they seem to be counter productive. call me crazy but ANYTHING that tells me that it will make me want to kill myself seems bad to me. BUT people take thse meds and the meds never get blamed why?

that and most people that claim to be depressed seem to be people that have or had it all.

Clara huges is an example she has mulitple olympic medals in BOTH winter and summer olympics the only person to ever do that. She has endorsement deals, if she was smart she doesn't need to worry about anything. Someone like me? I live check to check month to month AND CONSTANTLY have to worry about rent,food etc there have been some close calls.

If she's that depressed switch lives with 90% of the world lets see how you do.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:18 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

/head desk. And that my friends is exhibit A on what the media has done to some of the mental illnesses. Leafs, to be completely honest with you, that would be the equivalent of me walking up to Bobby Clarke and going, hey you play hockey. You can't have diabetes because your an athlete! 'Having it all' can create a depressive state simply because of the enormous amount of pressure on those people.

Medication gets blamed. I don't take medication even though I am borderline bat**** insane.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Gustav Nyquist

Quote:
like I said the fact that the very meds that are meant to help it says on the bottle they will make you want to kill yourself. This leads me to wonder if "depression" is not something that cab be stopped by NOT taking the medication as they seem to be counter productive. call me crazy but ANYTHING that tells me that it will make me want to kill myself seems bad to me. BUT people take thse meds and the meds never get blamed why?

that and most people that claim to be depressed seem to be people that have or had it all.

Clara huges is an example she has mulitple olympic medals in BOTH winter and summer olympics the only person to ever do that. She has endorsement deals, if she was smart she doesn't need to worry about anything. Someone like me? I live check to check month to month AND CONSTANTLY have to worry about rent,food etc there have been some close calls.

Thread title is perfect for you.

Depression has nothing to do with material possessions or how famous one is. It's often caused by chemical changes in the brain, something no amount of money can change. And the problem with antidepressants isn't that it makes you want to kill yourself more, usually the person dealing with depression will feel no motivation to do anything at all, and the antidepressants can give someone just enough motivation to pull the trigger.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:26 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
/head desk. And that my friends is exhibit A on what the media has done to some of the mental illnesses. Leafs, to be completely honest with you, that would be the equivalent of me walking up to Bobby Clarke and going, hey you play hockey. You can't have diabetes because your an athlete! 'Having it all' can create a depressive state simply because of the enormous amount of pressure on those people.

Medication gets blamed. I don't take medication even though I am borderline bat**** insane.
no not at all diabetes and depression are entirely different

Old
12-18-2012, 02:30 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
no not at all diabetes and depression are entirely different
Not really. They are both diseases that affect different parts of your body. They can attack anyone randomly and if you don't take care of them, they can get worse. The only difference is that diabetes is easier to diagnosis then depression because we have a definitive criteria for what diabetes is. Depression and other mental health conditions aren't.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:08 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:

You aren't thinking this through.

Medications for physical illnesses also have numerous side effects.

Even aspirin has side effects. And as others have correctly point, treatment of clinical depression is not as simple as getting someone to wear a brightly colored shirt.

You are comparing situational depression to clinical depression. Like apples and oranges...both are fruits but they are not he same.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

the biggest obstacle to appropriate treatment of mental illness is that making an accurate diagnosis is extremely labor intensive. I can diagnose chronic sinustits in one 15 minute office visit but proper diagnosis of mental illness can take multiple sessions lasting hours of cumulative time, and thats only to establish a diagnosis... treatment is often even more labor intensive. there just arent enough providers, nor enough money to pay those providers to spend all that time on one patient.

the one positive that inpatient psychiatric facilities had (they used to be called asylums) is the patients got seen daily over long periods of time and accurate diagnoses were possible....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

It's still a relatively new study as well. There's also a high lack of study regarding the mental health of males as opposed to females(which most study is based on oddly enough).

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I wanted to start a thread outside the political forum to discuss mental health. It is one of the least understood medical conditions and one of the hardest to diagnosis. In many cases, there are no physical indicators and since some issues are so similar, it's hard to separate them at all. Many, many people don't really understand what a mental illness is and society as a whole isn't really equip to deal with people that have mental illnesses. Many people that are ignorant, simply don't understand or understand a vague part of the issue. It's like telling a person who has cancer to walk it off. Furthermore, some symptoms mask other worse conditions, so the probability of a misdiagnosis is high and it can take years of therapy to actually fix the issue.

This thread is discuss mental illness and any questions relating to those issues.
I think that no one today really understands mental illness. Those who think that they do are kidding themselves, IMO. You may have a closer personal or professional connection, but it doesn't mean that you understand it. To be honest, there's a dangerous bit of hubris in calling others "ignorant," as though you're enlightened, especially regarding a frontier subject such as this. That's not a helpful attitude, IMO. You don't have a dialogue and persuade others by calling them ignorant and publicly banging your head on the wall when they say something that you disagree with. That only convinces yourself of your righteousness, which can be an impediment to your own consideration of other viewpoints. Just consider that, a hundred years from now, society will shake its head at what even the most "enlightened" of us thought that we'd figured out in 2012. Our best treatments might very well seem to 2112 society to be as ridiculous as "walking off" cancer seems now.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that no one today really understands mental illness. Those who think that they do are kidding themselves, IMO. You may have a closer personal or professional connection, but it doesn't mean that you understand it. To be honest, there's a dangerous bit of hubris in calling others "ignorant," as though you're enlightened, especially regarding a frontier subject such as this. That's not a helpful attitude, IMO. You don't have a dialogue and persuade others by calling them ignorant and publicly banging your head on the wall when they say something that you disagree with. That only convinces yourself of your righteousness, which can be an impediment to your own consideration of other viewpoints. Just consider that, a hundred years from now, society will shake its head at what even the most "enlightened" of us thought that we'd figured out in 2012. Our best treatments might very well seem to 2112 society to be as ridiculous as "walking off" cancer seems now.
Uh. What?

Old
12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:

Thoughts of suicide as a side effect isn't specific to anti depressant, or any class of drugs for that matter. Hell I had that as a side effect from an asthma controller.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote