HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
I dont see Hartford as a big prospect producer. Miller, Kreider, Thomas, Hrivik and Jean are the only kids who could be classified as prospects. There are no defensemen who can be classified as prospects until McIlrath joins the team.

Kreider will leave when the lockout ends, and we will probably get about 3 NHLers among the reminder who played in Hartford this season.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
CapeShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
There shouldn't be a lot of concerns with Kreider. He was successful at the NHL level when he was playing on a line with Richards and etc. From what I am told from a few who have watched the games is that he is playing down to his competition and teammates. Very similar situation when he was at BC
Watched Krieder for some time. He does not have the best hands, hitting ability or hockey IQ that some might expect. However, he does have an elite combination of speed, size,a heavy snap shot and someone that will play hard. Don't expect him to be crafty, just overly explosive. Perfect for the NHL for the next 15 years.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I dont see Hartford as a big prospect producer.
I don't have a crystal ball, so I have no idea how any of our current prospects in Connecticut will turn out. I was focused on the players who have come through our system and who have wound up contributing to the Rangers.

That list is considerable.

Add to that the fact that many of these players have given the staff in Connecticut/Hartford a lot of credit in prepping them for the NHL as has Rangers head coach John Tortarella. Not a guy given to handing out undo kudos.

Just not getting the negativity about our prospect development in general or the AHL in particular.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I don't have a crystal ball, so I have no idea how any of our current prospects in Connecticut will turn out. I was focused on the players who have come through our system and who have wound up contributing to the Rangers.

That list is considerable.

Add to that the fact that many of these players have given the staff in Connecticut/Hartford a lot of credit in prepping them for the NHL as has Rangers head coach John Tortarella. Not a guy given to handing out undo kudos.

Just not getting the negativity about our prospect development in general or the AHL in particular.
Right, and whether or not the roster is comprised of "true" prospects, it's exceptionally young. The team isn't stocked with perennial AHL All Stars; there are some veteran AHL players but none of particular note.

The average age of the Whale's active roster is 24.1. That's young even by AHL standards. The organization seems to have decided that Connecticut will be a place where all of the younger players can go and play--and play a lot. It's devoid of retreads that we know have no NHL future. You can argue with the merits of this philosophy in assembling the feeder team, but it's clear what they're doing.

It's just pain.
Old
12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Growing up in a winning environment is just as important, to see what it takes, what is required and what it feels like.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Right, and whether or not the roster is comprised of "true" prospects, it's exceptionally young. The team isn't stocked with perennial AHL All Stars; there are some veteran AHL players but none of particular note.

The average age of the Whale's active roster is 24.1. That's young even by AHL standards. The organization seems to have decided that Connecticut will be a place where all of the younger players can go and play--and play a lot. It's devoid of retreads that we know have no NHL future. You can argue with the merits of this philosophy in assembling the feeder team, but it's clear what they're doing.
I think it's incredibly smart.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Growing up in a winning environment is just as important, to see what it takes, what is required and what it feels like.
No it's not. Sorry, but that's just patently false. Playing time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> winning in the AHL.

It's not remotely close.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think you need to strike a balance between the two. If we could add a couple established AHL players, at the expense of, say, Shayne Wiebe, Kelsey Tessier and Blake Parlett, everyone would benefit.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I think you need to strike a balance between the two. If we could add a couple established AHL players, at the expense of, say, Shayne Wiebe, Kelsey Tessier and Blake Parlett, everyone would benefit.
Agreed. As much as people don't want to admit it, having a guy like Redden down there was a huge benefit to McDonagh and other young defensemen. You don't want to load up on vets, but you don't want to have a team that has no experience either.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I think it's helpful but not at the expense of playing time. That trumps everything. I would be all for getting rid of ****** AHL vets, though, because that wouldn't be taking time away from a real prospect. There's a big difference in having a winning AHL team and having a prospect development system.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed. As much as people don't want to admit it, having a guy like Redden down there was a huge benefit to McDonagh and other young defensemen. You don't want to load up on vets, but you don't want to have a team that has no experience either.
Wouldn't it make sense to have vets who played more than a few games in the NHL. What's the point of having guys that are vets who have no future at the NHL level.. Redden and Gilroy can be much more helpful to a prospect over a player like Collins or Verance who hasn't played more than 40 NHL games...

Old
12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No it's not. Sorry, but that's just patently false. Playing time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> winning in the AHL.

It's not remotely close.

I agree, but putting good defensemen in Hartford would not take away the ice time of any of our prospects, all of whom are forwards. Getting a quality backup wouldn't harm anyone either. It would help the kids' confidence if not every mistake led to a goal, with defense backing them up.

The main problem this team has is the incompetent defense, not the young forwards.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The city of Hartford in general just really doesn't seem to like that AHL team. Kind of feels like they hold it against the franchise that they're not the Hartford Whalers.

Oh well, move the team somewhere else
They probably will in a few years. It's been a nice run since 97.

Weren't they thinking about Glenn Falls or even Bridgeport once the Islanders lease runs out?

Old
12-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
They probably will in a few years. It's been a nice run since 97.

Weren't they thinking about Glenn Falls or even Bridgeport once the Islanders lease runs out?

I was hoping we'd have our minor league team in the Barclays Center, but instead another minor league team with no fan base moved in there.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:32 PM
wandk128

Anyone have a few extras for Saturday night against Providence?

Old
12-18-2012, 12:40 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I was hoping we'd have our minor league team in the Barclays Center, but instead another minor league team with no fan base moved in there.
Dolan's biggest rival wouldn't let him put his farm team there...

Old
12-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Osminator

Quote:

It's not remotely close.
I'd rather develop and mature 4-8 prospects and show them what it takes to win while giving them plenty of playing time, than have 16 prospects losing every game, but hey, they all got to play. What is this, a house league where everyone gets to play? Surely not.

Winning is a state of mind, and if you have 5-6 good vets to show the way, it is possible. Have you ever played competitive hockey and know what it feels like to be on a winning and losing team? I have.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Pizza

Quote:
I'd rather develop and mature 4-8 prospects and show them what it takes to win while giving them plenty of playing time, than have 16 prospects losing every game, but hey, they all got to play. What is this, a house league where everyone gets to play? Surely not.

Winning is a state of mind, and if you have 5-6 good vets to show the way, it is possible. Have you ever played competitive hockey and know what it feels like to be on a winning and losing team? I have.
They are 11 - 13 Os. Not setting the world on fire, but hardly terminal. I've always believed that getting your a$$ kicked a few times can build lots of character and unit integrity.

These kids will be fine. The ones that get to play in New York, like the ones that came before them will be better for the experiance they had in the AHL.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

I'll just copy what I wrote before:

I think it's helpful but not at the expense of playing time. That trumps everything. I would be all for getting rid of ****** AHL vets, though, because that wouldn't be taking time away from a real prospect. There's a big difference in having a winning AHL team and having a prospect development system.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Osminator

I'm sure a 15-60-5 record at the end of a season will do miracles for everyone.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'm sure a 15-60-5 record at the end of a season will do miracles for everyone.
Kids play on ****** teams in the junior leagues and losing doesn't derail their careers. Stop being so overdramatic. Losing in the AHL will not hurt these kids at all and the ice time will help.

I would like to get a solid AHL scorer, though, so the kids could play WITH him instead of playing with guys with stone hands. A scorer or two won't make this team into a great AHL team, but it will give the kids someone with skill to play with. If we can ditch some dead wood like Tessier, etc. and replace them with a skilled player (as long as he isn't taking time away from the kids), then it's a great move.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Kids play on ****** teams in the junior leagues and losing doesn't derail their careers. Stop being so overdramatic. Losing in the AHL will not hurt these kids at all and the ice time will help.

I would like to get a solid AHL scorer, though, so the kids could play WITH him instead of playing with guys with stone hands. A scorer or two won't make this team into a great AHL team, but it will give the kids someone with skill to play with. If we can ditch some dead wood like Tessier, etc. and replace them with a skilled player (as long as he isn't taking time away from the kids), then it's a great move.
I agree. And I actually believe you are both agreeing on the same ideals. It is important for the kids to get a lot of playing time. And important time as well. But the vets that this team has brought in (aside from Newbury and Gilroy) have been underwhelming.

If they could replace some of the vets they have with players like Parenteau (a few years ago) or Locke (same time period) the team would be much better off. As the season progresses Kolarik should help in that department. He is, when healthy, a VERY good AHLer.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Osminator

Quote:

surprised u haven't been hired to coach an AHL or NHL team yet with all ur wisdom. Wait, i'm being overdramatic. Wait, maybe I'm just voicing my opinion! Whoa!

Old
12-18-2012, 03:48 PM
boyle2boyle

I'm sure this question has been asked before in this thread so apologies if this has been answered, but since I have no hope in seeing NHL hockey this season, is there any way to get Whale games on TV? I'd be willing to pay for a package or individual games as long as the price isn't absurd. Thanks!

Old
12-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Osminator

Finally for the love of god! Lets see how he does in the AHL!

12/18/2012 Steven Delisle (D) CT ADD Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)

Closed Thread