Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 11:46 PM
bruinmann77

vCash: 500
Both the NHL and the NHLPA can both take a flyng leap.
at least i saved on my Direct tv bill

Old
12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Clearly the "everyone is a UFA" talk is to scare guys like Thornton who are in 2-3 year deals, making guaranteed money. Why mess with that so Crosby can command big money?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.
Knowing Bru, and knowing his sources, he is as connected as anyone..Trust me the person he knows would be right in the loop at a high level during these kinda things..Makes me far more optimisitc that's for sure.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
The upside and intrigue (for me) to a lost season would be that a few franchises will be eliminated.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:27 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Unnecessarily hostile man
It's funny...I know alot of these guys here (we chat) and if people knew who their sources were they would go crazy....there are people here that are tied in big time. I used to have a source that was great friends with Lou Lams from NJ and some things actually do come true...

Old
12-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Wow, awesome. Someone else coming and saying their 'sources' are saying a deal gets done next week. Now you may be connected, you may not, but if you are I'm sure your sources don't know jack. Just like everyone else's sources.
Source may be right, may not be but I could not care less what you think.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Cancel it already.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I am hearing next week a deal gets done. Take it fwiw...
what is crazy is if you look at where they are at in this process its really down to that 5 year contract length- and why can't it be massaged to maybe 7 with age restrictions and percentage increases or decreases from year to year.

its so pathetic....I'm sure I'll be excited because I'm an idiot over some things (hopefully just some things) but right now I'm disgusted

Old
12-18-2012, 09:50 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
well, the stuff I got is pretty good (actually grrrrrrrrrrreat) if I must say and I was told 2 weeks and this was on the 14th so we shall see (one other long time poster who I'd say is well-respected, certainly more than me, knows also and is on board with this evaluation of the individual

Old
12-18-2012, 09:52 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
well, the stuff I got is pretty good (actually grrrrrrrrrrreat) if I must say and I was told 2 weeks and this was on the 14th so we shall see (one other long time poster who I'd say is well-respected, certainly more than me, knows also and is on board with this evaluation of the individual
Was it Quaider? Just wink twice if I'm right.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
You're one of the best posters on here and one of my personally well respected go to opinions, so ill take this as a ray of light

Good article. Agree about NHL's first offer being what set the tone and unified the NHL against the big greedy mean owners. I know you usually lowball with the first offer in negotiating, but it's too bad the NHL leadership didn't see that one coming
I don't care how low-ball the first offer is, you laugh and make a counter offer.

To quote the inimitable Michael Felger "They bit their nose to spite their face."

Old
12-18-2012, 10:02 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
The upside and intrigue (for me) to a lost season would be that a few franchises will be eliminated.

That's highly unlikely.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:03 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
This post is perfect.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I don't care how low-ball the first offer is, you laugh and make a counter offer.

To quote the inimitable Michael Felger "They bit their nose to spite their face."
No doubt, but who would have guessed a bunch of millionaire athletes would act like entitled babies?

A sober person, for one

Old
12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
No doubt, but who would have guessed a bunch of millionaire athletes would act like entitled babies?

A sober person, for one
That's why I wouldn't have guessed!

Old
12-18-2012, 10:08 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
That's why I wouldn't have guessed!
Left it wiiiiiide open

Church doors even!

Old
12-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
what is crazy is if you look at where they are at in this process its really down to that 5 year contract length- and why can't it be massaged to maybe 7 with age restrictions and percentage increases or decreases from year to year.

its so pathetic....I'm sure I'll be excited because I'm an idiot over some things (hopefully just some things) but right now I'm disgusted
It probably could be messaged somewhat with the addition of variance, but the PA doesn't like the 5% variance either. They wanted a 25% variance I believe, which is a huge gap and really does nothing to fix the issue of cap circumvention. I think the NHL would likely give up term before variance, but who knows? Maybe they aren't willing to give up either as they are looking for a way to make those non traditional markets appealing to free agents.

Maybe that will be the PA's eventual take home though, perhaps the NHL is making a bigger deal out of term then they need to because they knew a disclaimer likely to be coming to increase leverage on the players side. Keep a couple of cards close to the chest that you can throw out at a later date to give the PA the moral victory they'll need after the DOI happens.

Hard to say, as unlike the players the owners aren't on twitter letting us in on their tactics.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

Hard to say, as unlike the players the owners aren't on twitter letting us in on their tactics.
JJ isn't on twitter?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
It probably could be messaged somewhat with the addition of variance, but the PA doesn't like the 5% variance either. They wanted a 25% variance I believe, which is a huge gap and really does nothing to fix the issue of cap circumvention. I think the NHL would likely give up term before variance, but who knows? Maybe they aren't willing to give up either as they are looking for a way to make those non traditional markets appealing to free agents.

Maybe that will be the PA's eventual take home though, perhaps the NHL is making a bigger deal out of term then they need to because they knew a disclaimer likely to be coming to increase leverage on the players side. Keep a couple of cards close to the chest that you can throw out at a later date to give the PA the moral victory they'll need after the DOI happens.

I was wondering why this guy @JeremyJacobs wasn't giving me anything substantial.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
I was wondering why this guy @JeremyJacobs wasn't giving me anything substantial.
You'd have to buy something to get info. Do you have a major credit card?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
You'd have to buy something to get info. Do you have a major credit card?
but...but...HE SPENDS TO THE CAP!

Old
12-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Number8

Quote:

Spoken like someone who has never had a boss come to them and say "I'm cutting your pay by 24% and until you accept, I'm locking the doors and you can take a long unpaid vacation."

Unless you're Mahatma Gandhi, I call bull crap on your ability to simply "laugh it off" and make a counter offer.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
JMiller

Quote:

A sober person, for one
Funny I thought the millonaire owners are the ones acting entitled. They borrow money to buy a team, borrow money to run it, and claim that they are entitled to make a profit on hockey in places like Arizona and with franchises like the Islanders.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Lobster57
#nofreepasses

Quote:
Left it wiiiiiide open

Church doors even!
Like my mom

Old
12-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Spoken like someone who has never had a boss come to them and say "I'm cutting your pay by 24% and until you accept, I'm locking the doors and you can take a long unpaid vacation."

Unless you're Mahatma Gandhi, I call bull crap on your ability to simply "laugh it off" and make a counter offer.
For most of us to have our pay cut 24% would mean we'd no longer be able to afford to live, or at the very least would have to cut out or cut back on quite a few necessities to do so. That's obviously not the case with these guys who can afford multiple houses, multiple vehicles, and a plethora of toys to boot.

Also, players enter into their contracts knowing full well CBA negotiations can and most likely will redefine those terms. In that context, you may not like it but it's something you have to accept. I get a bonus yearly based on the companies profit margin and in certain years because the company didn't meet expectations (set by the owners) for profit margin the bonus was held back. I didn't like it, but I didn't refuse to work because I didn't get it. It was cushion money, not a necessity I needed to live.

Closed Thread