HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 7.0 - "Turns Rust To Gold?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 07:08 AM
GalHabsGal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Didn't Giroux also start out on the wing until Philly moved Richards and Carter? Montreal will do the same with Gally when they deem that the value of Pleks, DD or Eller will be at their highest. Let's believe in Bergevin in finding the right timing and the right centre to move. A lot can happen in the 2-3 years before Galchenyuk is ready to be an offensive yet defensively responsible center.

Hasn't most game recaps showed that Galchenyuk is "uninterested", or "lazy" at some point when it comes to defense? There's a long way to go before he can be relied on as a Center in the NHL. He doesn't necessarily have to play Center to learn how to play good defense. He needs to be eased in.
Sorry but i dont care about Gally defensively, for me the only thing that matter is that Gally become the BEST offense player, A START, a top 10(in all NHL) scorers

Everyone know that the best defense is offense

Old
12-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
Sorry but i dont care about Gally defensively, for me the only thing that matter is that Gally become the BEST offense player, A START, a top 10(in all NHL) scorers

Everyone know that the best defense is offense
I get that statement but you don't want him to be a complete liability either. You want a center to be able to back check aggressively. That's what makes Datsyuk one of the best in the league.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:25 AM
GalHabsGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
I get that statement but you don't want him to be a complete liability either. You want a center to be able to back check aggressively. That's what makes Datsyuk one of the best in the league.
No, fure sure i want him to be good in defense also , but with work ethic i am not worry about it!

I think Gally work ethic and Professionalism are comparable to Crosby or Toews.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Agreed - does anyone ever talk/care about what position Stamkos plays?
yeah, he's so good and so fast he's like everywhere on the ice.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Didn't Giroux also start out on the wing until Philly moved Richards and Carter? Montreal will do the same with Gally when they deem that the value of Pleks, DD or Eller will be at their highest. Let's believe in Bergevin in finding the right timing and the right centre to move. A lot can happen in the 2-3 years before Galchenyuk is ready to be an offensive yet defensively responsible center.

Hasn't most game recaps showed that Galchenyuk is "uninterested", or "lazy" at some point when it comes to defense? There's a long way to go before he can be relied on as a Center in the NHL. He doesn't necessarily have to play Center to learn how to play good defense. He needs to be eased in.
Exactly. I don't know why people are scrambling to kick any of our current 3 centres out the door. There's nothing wrong with letting Gally develop on the wing for a while, and then making an opening for him with the time is right. The Bruins did it with Seguin, the Flyers with Giroux, etc. Some of the best centres in the game (Malkin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg off the top of my head) still take regular shifts on the wing depending on the needs of the lineup. I envision Gally developping in a similar way.

Gally may be a natural centre in that that's where he started playing in his career, but he's not tied to the position the way someone like Plekanec or Eller is. You could never move someone like Plekanec to the wing because his game would completely fall apart. You don't have that risk with Gally.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:58 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Exactly. I don't know why people are scrambling to kick any of our current 3 centres out the door. There's nothing wrong with letting Gally develop on the wing for a while, and then making an opening for him with the time is right. The Bruins did it with Seguin, the Flyers with Giroux, etc.

Gally may be a natural centre in that that's where he started playing in his career, but he's not tied to the position the way someone like Plekanec or Eller is. You could never move someone like Plekanec to the wing because his game would completely fall apart. You don't have that risk with Gally.
Oh, don't be naive. Don't you know? It's been clearly said on the Habs board. We will never reach better than 6th position if we keep our current centres as our first 3 Cs.

Perfect logic.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Oh, don't be naive. Don't you know? It's been clearly said on the Habs board. We will never reach better than 6th position if we keep our current centres as our first 3 Cs.

Perfect logic.
Yes, it's logical. You aren't building a legit title contender around this current center core. Especially as Plekanec enters his 30's.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yes, it's logical. You aren't building a legit title contender around this current center core. Especially as Plekanec enters his 30's.
Indeed. We all know players are useless after they hit their 30s.

On a less trolling point, however, I just looked again at the vids of some of Galchenyuk's goals on the PP, and I was wondering how he would look on the right point, paired with Subban...?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Never said he'd be useless...but there's typically a decline at this stage of a player's career.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:

On a less trolling point, however, I just looked again at the vids of some of Galchenyuk's goals on the PP, and I was wondering how he would look on the right point, paired with Subban...?
Now your just looking for trouble.... you know damn well a combo subban galchy would just be nasty... specially with those cross passes Gally can generate. And patches wont be sad to join the party btw

Old
12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Never said he'd be useless...but there's typically a decline at this stage of a player's career.
Last time a check, when a "decline" starts, it's because you were still at the top of your art. Pleky still have a number of very effective years with us.

Plus, Cole sure showed up what decline looked like, eh?!

Old
12-18-2012, 09:49 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Now your just looking for trouble.... you know damn well a combo subban galchy would just be nasty... specially with those cross passes Gally can generate. And patches wont be sad to join the party btw
I know. But I'm a sucker for nasty stuff...

And Galch is on the right point, right..?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:53 AM
domdo345

Plekanec is too dedicated to hockey to decline that fast. He's gonna have a Steve Sullivan type of decline (which is very nice) IMO. But back to the topic, I can't stress enough how it might be a wasted 2nd half of the year for Gally. Everything looks too easy for him. I am willing to bet all my $ that if the NHL starts, he's playing with the habs.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:57 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Plekanec is too dedicated to hockey to decline that fast. He's gonna have a Steve Sullivan type of decline (which is very nice) IMO. But back to the topic, I can't stress enough how it might be a wasted 2nd half of the year for Gally. Everything looks too easy for him. I am willing to bet all my $ that if the NHL starts, he's playing with the habs.
Here is where I disagree with you. What many people do not seem to realize is how how long-winded the NHL season truly is. The question shouldn't be "can Galchenyuk perform at high level?", but "can Galchenyuk perform at high level for an extended period of time?"

I wanna see Galchenyuk keep the accelerator down and continuously tear a new one to the OHL until the end of the year. I wanna see him go 100% for a long period of time, not just for small bursts.

Then I'll know he will be NHL-ready.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Last time a check, when a "decline" starts, it's because you were still at the top of your art. Pleky still have a number of very effective years with us.

Plus, Cole sure showed up what decline looked like, eh?!
He will be effective, that I have no doubt...you can be plenty effective and still not be a legit #1 center, which is my point.

Cole is more of an exception than the norm. Not too many players have their 3rd best season at age 33.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Here is where I disagree with you. What many people do not seem to realize is how how long-winded the NHL season truly is. The question shouldn't be "can Galchenyuk perform at high level?", but "can Galchenyuk perform at high level for an extended period of time?"

I wanna see Galchenyuk keep the accelerator down and continuously tear a new one to the OHL until the end of the year. I wanna see him go 100% for a long period of time, not just for small bursts.

Co-sign.

I have a feeling that dominating in the second-half won't be so easy for someone like Gally who missed an entire season. I'd be thrilled if I were wrong, but let's pump the brakes on rushing him into the NHL based on a stellar first-half in juniors.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM
domdo345

I am fully aware he might slump in the NHL. There's no harm to that. Playing 1vs1 in the corners against NHL Dman will develop him much more than scoring 5 pts in the OHL. Picking the corners versus Miller will develop him much more than any goalies he<s facing right now. Heck, in the vid with the 2 games combined, he does a turnover at the blue line and backchecked to break the 3 vs 1. No way he can recover that mistake in the NHL.

I don't know if you guys ever played high level of hockey but in any occasion, if you can follow a league that is an higher level than you are currently playing, you will develop much faster. And I truly think Gally will have no problem following the NHL's tempo.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:49 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

So Galchenyuk IS playing left wing.

Galchenyuk-Trocheck-Barber

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...-combos-links/

Old
12-18-2012, 11:32 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I am fully aware he might slump in the NHL. There's no harm to that. Playing 1vs1 in the corners against NHL Dman will develop him much more than scoring 5 pts in the OHL. Picking the corners versus Miller will develop him much more than any goalies he<s facing right now. Heck, in the vid with the 2 games combined, he does a turnover at the blue line and backchecked to break the 3 vs 1. No way he can recover that mistake in the NHL.

I don't know if you guys ever played high level of hockey but in any occasion, if you can follow a league that is an higher level than you are currently playing, you will develop much faster. And I truly think Gally will have no problem following the NHL's tempo.
Let's agree to disagree. I do not doubt that for Gally's pure skill development, yes, playing in the NHL will be the most expedient thing to do for him.

But that's not the point I am trying to make here. I do not worry about Gally's skill progression, I worry about his capacity to go on high regime for extended periods of time. You do not shift from 1st to 4th gear immediately.

For Galchenyuk's overall development, be it in term of skill, intensity, energy, etc.. I believe it will be optimal if he is given the chance to continuously dominate the OHL and keep up a high regime there, THEN join his NHL club for the playoffs or next year training camp.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
So Galchenyuk IS playing left wing.

Galchenyuk-Trocheck-Barber

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...-combos-links/
He's quoting Morreale's twitter feed though. All of this is second hand info.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
I know. But I'm a sucker for nasty stuff...

And Galch is on the right point, right..?
Yeah for sure, not a fan of forwards at the point bur i have enough video evidence to say Galchenyuk handles it like a champ. And those wristers keep the opponent honest.. wich opens lanes for those crosses... seriously.. subban will create that extra option wich will make us a lethal pp team.. and if markov can regain his form and keep healthy its just a sick 2nd unit possible with Beaulieu in maybe 2 years. If we manage to aquire some convincing 2nd line support.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:57 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree. I do not doubt that for Gally's pure skill development, yes, playing in the NHL will be the most expedient thing to do for him.

But that's not the point I am trying to make here. I do not worry about Gally's skill progression, I worry about his capacity to go on high regime for extended periods of time. You do not shift from 1st to 4th gear immediately.

For Galchenyuk's overall development, be it in term of skill, intensity, energy, etc.. I believe it will be optimal if he is given the chance to continuously dominate the OHL and keep up a high regime there, THEN join his NHL club for the playoffs or next year training camp.
agreed to disagree lol!

I understand your point but I just don't see it that way.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:59 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
I truly think Gally will have no problem following the NHL's tempo.
if there's a shortened season, the players are playing every other day, kind of like the year of 2012 olympics. Critics partly attributed the high number of injuries to an accelerated season. Great for hockey fans, not so great for players. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Gally only has 33 games under his belt since his season-ending injury. Who knows how his knee will hold up after 33 games in the OHL, 7 games in the WJC and 40 games in the NHL if there is no resting time in between games. He may be in top shape, but injuries are injuries, you have to treat them with caution.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
agreed to disagree lol!

I understand your point but I just don't see it that way.
Indeed. We do not disagree on the evidence, simply on the conclusion reached with them. This perfectly natural.. But sadly neither of us is in any position to make a different in the real decision-making..

Old
12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

I agree because I wanna see him in the OHL playoffs. It's a very telling environment. The regular season, he's shown he can dominate it at will. But he still got held pointless twice by Windsor+Kitchener each (who were playing very well at the time). So I wanna see him against Guelph, London, Kitchener, etc. in a long tough series.

Closed Thread