HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Leland Irving, why doesn't he play with the Heat ??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2012, 11:42 PM
  #76
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Understand that, but only 1 out of 30 teams will win a cup so who's to say kipper will win one no matter what. I would sooner see a competitive team put on the ice with a solid goaltender than a team gambling to try and find the right guy, when all three of them could falter.
I am not saying Kipper will win one but I would rather gamble that the tandem of Irving/Karlsson/Ramo can do what Kipper can and get a young player or two to help us rebuild/retool then simply just stay competitive for a playoff spot until Kipper retires and we have to gamble anyway.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:00 AM
  #77
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I am not saying Kipper will win one but I would rather gamble that the tandem of Irving/Karlsson/Ramo can do what Kipper can and get a young player or two to help us rebuild/retool then simply just stay competitive for a playoff spot until Kipper retires and we have to gamble anyway.
If the team were to enter a rebuild then I would totally agree but that doesn't seem likely soon. Eventually we will have to go on without kipper but I would like to see him retire as a flame if possible, not only as a fan, but also because he is our best chance to stay competive is all I'm saying. If we rebuild then I agree completely with you.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:38 AM
  #78
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
If the team were to enter a rebuild then I would totally agree but that doesn't seem likely soon. Eventually we will have to go on without kipper but I would like to see him retire as a flame if possible, not only as a fan, but also because he is our best chance to stay competive is all I'm saying. If we rebuild then I agree completely with you.
This team will never rebuild it just won't not with these owners, I understand the wanting to stay competitive I really do but if we trade Kipper and get a prospect and a pick then two things happen
a) Irving/Ramo/Karlsson rise to the occasion and prove that they are nhl goalies and we stay competitive and we got a prospect and a pick.
b) All 3 not only flame out they don't even put up mediocre numbers like Kipper did in 10-11 (SV .906, GAA 2.63) we end up with a real high pick that could go along way to solving future forward problems and then we sign a goalie.

Personally I think it is more likely that the 3 combined put up atleast a .906 SV% so I would take the gamble. If you want a guarantee of being competitive for the playoffs then keeping Kipper would be a smart idea but 3 out of the last 5 years Kipper has been very mediocre mostly do to over playing him so I think trading him is the right choice as I think we can find someone to put up decent numbers.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:36 AM
  #79
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I wouldn't count Ortio or Brossoit as sure things as Ortio looked bad last time in the AHL and Brossoit is having a bad season in the whl. We also don't know if Ramo is coming over personally I would trade Kipper and run with Ramo/Irving/Karlsson next year.
Ortio was pretty young then, and I'm sure he would do much better now. Brossoit I brought up at the begining of the year as playing bad (which he was) and you defended him then. Why throw him under the bus now, when he's actually been playing alot better?

We have a gluttony of goalies, and we only can give so many spots to play. We have to get rid of some period. Hopefully we can get a couple starters out of these guys and move a couple for picks.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM
  #80
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Ortio was pretty young then, and I'm sure he would do much better now. Brossoit I brought up at the begining of the year as playing bad (which he was) and you defended him then. Why throw him under the bus now, when he's actually been playing alot better?

We have a gluttony of goalies, and we only can give so many spots to play. We have to get rid of some period. Hopefully we can get a couple starters out of these guys and move a couple for picks.
I said he was having a down year but the whole team was and nothing has changed he is still having a down year but I don't blame it all on him. His backup may soon steal his job if he isn't careful. I don't think saying he is having a bad year is throwing him under the bus because he is having a bad year. My main point is lets wait and see what Ortio, Brossoit, and Karlsson do next year before we say that Irving is the odd man out at least Irving has shown he can play in the nhl.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
  #81
FlamingTelepath
Registered User
 
FlamingTelepath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 393
vCash: 1383
Actually, won't Irving almost certainly be a UFA next summer? He's not getting the 20 something games required for RFA status this season if there even is one. He will definitely get a better shot at NHL action somewhere else so even if Feaster offers him a contract he might be as good as gone.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
  #82
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,458
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
Actually, won't Irving almost certainly be a UFA next summer? He's not getting the 20 something games required for RFA status this season if there even is one. He will definitely get a better shot at NHL action somewhere else so even if Feaster offers him a contract he might be as good as gone.
I fear he might as well. Can't even trade him either which is a damn shame.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:16 AM
  #83
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Brust and Taylor had a real hard night, I think we will see Irving start in net again soon.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 02:22 AM
  #84
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,634
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
Actually, won't Irving almost certainly be a UFA next summer? He's not getting the 20 something games required for RFA status this season if there even is one. He will definitely get a better shot at NHL action somewhere else so even if Feaster offers him a contract he might be as good as gone.
Irving will likely go to whichever team offers him a one-way contract. The Flames could be that team, especially if Kiprusoff retires or signals a desire to be moved (if Iginla leaves) so he can win a cup somewhere, and of course, if Irving hasn't been turned off the organization entirely.

If no team does, then he'll probably go a team that offers the best opportunity to start, which again could be Calgary if Kiprusoff leaves for whatever reason, Ramo changes his mind and doesn't want to come over anymore, etc.

The Irving situation has been a little odd. A lot of mixed signals; doesn't get much of an opportunity to play in the AHL, criticized for his development, but still thought to be the best goalie in the system behind Kiprusoff, at least of the goalies in North America and more or less told he's the back-up over Karlsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Brust and Taylor had a real hard night, I think we will see Irving start in net again soon.
The Heat have been struggling heavily since Baertschi went down. Very little offense being generated on the whole. It will be very interesting to see how Ward adapts, if at all, to make do. He may have to ease up on the defense first mentality a bit to make it work.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.