HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL Thread VII: Cue the Mid-Season Slide

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 10:55 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Eh, I find it delicious that the Giants win Super Bowls.

To each his own.
I'm trying to figure out when the Giants ever had a five-game winning streak or were fortunate and caught all the breaks to leapfrog into a playoff spot in the 2nd half of a season.

Maybe he was referring to 2002.....but that's a season I erased from memory.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:58 PM
30theking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I'm trying to figure out when the Giants ever had a five-game winning streak or were fortunate and caught all the breaks to leapfrog into a playoff spot in the 2nd half of a season.

Maybe he was referring to 2002.....but that's a season I erased from memory.
he might be referring to the postseason and how "lucky" they were to win some of those games.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:58 PM
robwrx04

Jets fans remind me of pre-Tortorella Rangers fans when the fire sather chants were going on.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:10 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

That was one of those games where I remind myself how fortunate I am to be born into a Giants family

I'm sorry Jets fans.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:11 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
he might be referring to the postseason and how "lucky" they were to win some of those games.
He must be. In my post, I was referring to the regular season, simply because it's been Murphy's Law with Coughlin and the Giants since 2005 late in seasons.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Tannenbaum should be fired immediately.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
Well, all Giants haters think that we were lucky. But people who are actually football fans and watch the game know the truth.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Tannenbaum should be fired immediately.
And Rex. Both are laughably bad and neither are fit to be running a pro football team.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Eh I still dont much blame Rex. He doesnt run the O and Tanny STILL hasnt gotten him much D help. LB corps is pretty shot outside of Harris and the pass rush is......................... yeah.

Tanny, Sanchez, Sparano = gone. That's the hope anyway.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Wait. He doesn't run the O but has had two ****** coordinators. And none of not benching Sanchez is on him? Dude is a horrible head coach. He can sometimes motivate and can call D. That's it. He'd be a good D coordinator.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:14 AM
17futurecap

The loss hurt like hell, but as I sit here at 4 AM, it's much better in the long run. It would have been stupid to make the playoffs with this team. Big changes are pretty much guaranteed so that is a good thing. A full rebuild pretty much has to begin with a new GM and a new coach, as well as a new QB who new management gets to pick.

Hopefully Rex lets McElroy start the next two games, Tebow and Sanchez have no future here, and I still think Greg is only a backup, but let him start the last two games.

One positive is the two big boys on the line look like young players the new coaches can build around in Wilkerson and Coples. Every linebacker needs to be changed, Harris will be around because he is overpaid, but Scott, Pace, and Brian Thomas will all be gone. Loved the year Laron Landry had, but you don't pay him if they go into a rebuild. He played himself into a nice contract next year, good for him. Cromartie has had a great year, would look to trade him as well if they start rebuilding. I have no idea what you do with Revis at this point off the injury, not sure you give him another huge deal.

If they do a full clean out Sanchez and Tebow will be gone, Greene will be gone, Keller gone, Moore gone, Slauson will leave treated him like crap, and is a free agent. Jason Smith gone. Not sure what they do with Holmes, and that awful contract.

It's time to bring in a veteran GM and a veteran coach. I'm only 25 and have seen way too many rookie coaches since Parcells left. Groh, Herm, Mangini, and now Rex.

Rex will probably get another head coaching job this off season because there are so many awful head coaches in this league much worse than him, and I wish him luck. Thanks for the playoff wins, but unfortunately they were wrong about Sanchez. 51 turnovers in his last 30 games, see ya Mark.

To better days Jets fans, Lets go Jets!

Old
12-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Wait. He doesn't run the O but has had two ****** coordinators. And none of not benching Sanchez is on him? Dude is a horrible head coach. He can sometimes motivate and can call D. That's it. He'd be a good D coordinator.
He didnt hire either OC. Thats Tanny. Then he can bench Sanchez, fine, but Sanchez isnt get paid to sit, thats on Tanny. And who's behind Sanchez? Even worse players. I guess MAYBE McE isnt, but whatever. And for that roster, thats ALSO on Tanny.

Never said he was great. But the makeup of the team isnt his call.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I lifted my season-long Jets viewing embargo last night.

It's incredible how badly the team has deteriorated in one season. They were bad at times last year, but not this bad. They look like a dysfunctional JV squad at times.

The offensive line, despite being talented, is horrendous. The pass protection is an absolute joke. The running backs and wide receivers might not start on a good college team. Sanchez, who in his first two years looked like he could be a good QB (at least a good game-manager if he continued to adjust), is completely lost and damaged beyond repair.

Special teams is a joke. The personnel is there to be a good unit, as they were under Westhoff, but they just don't understand what they're supposed to be doing out there. The defense is good, though they're somehow still lacking a solid LB corps.

Rex is a mediocre coach, great motivator. With great talent that's a combination that can lead to success. With ****** talent like the Jets have this year, it's a recipe for disaster. Guys will play hard for him, but without talent and football IQ, they look like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Motivation can only take ****** players so far. It can't make Shonn Greene a legitimate starting RB, it can't make the no-name receivers anything more than castoffs. If you give him a talented team I still think he can be a very successful coach.

The front office made shrewd moves a few years ago, but failed to adjust to the apparent problems in the construction of the team. Tanny's overall tenure has been an abject failure, and I place more of the blame for the team's struggle on him than anyone. Well, him and Woody. Don't get me started on Woody.

The organization is a train wreck. They need to clean house completely. Fire the entire front office, get rid of Rex (time to start fresh), most of the coordinators and assistants (keep Dunbar), absorb the cap hit of cutting Sanchez, get rid of Bart, Pace, trade Greene, trade Revis, and start anew. Rebuilding sucks, but this team is too flawed to ride it our and tweak the roster while remaining somewhat competitive.

And please, god, cut Tim Tebow.

It's just pain.
Old
12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Eh, I find it delicious that the Giants win Super Bowls.

To each his own.
Yes, to each his own. And your own is apparently lazy non-sequiturs.

Not knocking the Giants in any way. But after their last 2 Superbowl runs, how is it fair to criticize other teams who are turning it on at the end of a season?

Old
12-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
When have the Giants been fortunate at the end of a regular season?
The same way you're defining fortunate for the 'Skins and Cowboys. Playing well and finding ways to win.

But those guys were lucky and the Giants were just juggernauts in 2007 and 2011, right?

Old
12-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

The front office made shrewd moves a few years ago, but failed to adjust to the apparent problems in the construction of the team. Tanny's overall tenure has been an abject failure, and I place more of the blame for the team's struggle on him than anyone. Well, him and Woody. Don't get me started on Woody.
Agreed. Tannenbaum should either be fired or relegated to back-office duty where hes crunching #'s and working on contracts. He should not have anything to do with talent evaluations and acquisitions because, at the end of the day, the Jets stink because the roster stinks at the skill positions.

Woody Johnson is like the Wizard of Oz for this organization - the man behind the curtain. A man that is so desperate to steal headlines from the Giants that he doesnt care if those headlines are good or bad.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Well, all Giants haters think that we were lucky. But people who are actually football fans and watch the game know the truth.
I am actually a football fan - I watched both Giants runs, and no, I dont think they were lucky. So, surprise, your generic blanket statement holds no water - at all.

I watch a lot of football - I've watched most of the Cowboys and 'Skins games over the past 6 weeks. They have not been lucky either - they've played good football. In fact, its very difficult to get "lucky" in football. Much like hockey, the team who works harder and executes better usually wins.

With that said, I would like to know why Giants' fans feel the need to call their divisional opposition "lucky" or "fortunate," since that is a total fabrication. I guess the truth gets muddled when the shoe is on the other foot and its your team thats sputtering into January.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

If Sanchez is back, I'm gonna flip out. No way should he ever take another snap for this team. I'm torn on Rex. Good motivator and excellent defensive coach, but his spiel may have run its course here. Also seems like he can't control the locker room. We just have no talent in the skill positions, and that's alarming. Can't be a quick fix. Some good pieces like Wilkerson, Coples and Mangold, but not many. Cro and Revis are starting to get up there now.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
If Sanchez is back, I'm gonna flip out. No way should he ever take another snap for this team. I'm torn on Rex. Good motivator and excellent defensive coach, but his spiel may have run its course here. Also seems like he can't control the locker room. We just have no talent in the skill positions, and that's alarming. Can't be a quick fix. Some good pieces like Wilkerson, Coples and Mangold, but not many. Cro and Revis are starting to get up there now.
Wheres Sanchez gonna go, realistically?

Once Peyton Manning made it clear he wanted nothing to do with the Jets, they immediately turned around and signed Sanchez to big money. A stupid move in a long line of them - similar to what they did with Holmes.

Its going to take a while to deconstruct and rebuild that roster.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:50 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
He didnt hire either OC. Thats Tanny. Then he can bench Sanchez, fine, but Sanchez isnt get paid to sit, thats on Tanny. And who's behind Sanchez? Even worse players. I guess MAYBE McE isnt, but whatever. And for that roster, thats ALSO on Tanny.

Never said he was great. But the makeup of the team isnt his call.
You don't think Rex has a say in who the offensive coordinator is? Or any roster decisions?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
You don't think Rex has a say in who the offensive coordinator is? Or any roster decisions?
Its not that he doesnt have a say, I honestly think he doesnt care too much about the offensive side of the ball. His passion is and always will be with the defense. Not exactly the best attitude for a head coach.

But hey, if he wants to be a defensive coordinator again, Im sure that can be arranged very quickly.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Wheres Sanchez gonna go, realistically?

Once Peyton Manning made it clear he wanted nothing to do with the Jets, they immediately turned around and signed Sanchez to big money. A stupid move in a long line of them - similar to what they did with Holmes.

Its going to take a while to deconstruct and rebuild that roster.
They need to just cut bait and absorb the stupid cap hit. His situation is untenable, with or without Tebow behind him. The team will not succeed with him at the helm, and he will not be able to resurrect his career as a member of this sideshow. It would be mutually beneficial to both parties to part ways. Not beneficial from a cap standpoint for the Jets, but beneficial in that keeping him around is only delaying the inevitable.

They should deactivate Tebow the rest of the season and let McElroy start, with Mark backing up. Of course that won't happen, not with Woody owning the ship.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
They need to just cut bait and absorb the stupid cap hit. His situation is untenable, with or without Tebow behind him. The team will not succeed with him at the helm, and he will not be able to resurrect his career as a member of this sideshow. It would be mutually beneficial to both parties to part ways. Not beneficial from a cap standpoint for the Jets, but beneficial in that keeping him around is only delaying the inevitable.

They should deactivate Tebow the rest of the season and let McElroy start, with Mark backing up. Of course that won't happen, not with Woody owning the ship.
Sadly, I think Sanchez still gives the team the best chance to win - now, and for the next couple of seasons.

Im admittedly torn about which direction to go, but I think removing the distractions (starting with the circus act Tim Tebow), and working on giving Sanchez some more weapons is the play here. Jettisoning Sanchez, being left with a big cap hit, with virtually no QB on the roster doesnt exactly put the organization in a good position to rebuild.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I think the only way Sanchez can stay is if a new regime comes in and that new regime backs him.

The scary issue is fans seem to have more of a clue than this current management. They lack the personnel to play a true ground and pound game. They lacked elite offensive talent. And with the circus they created by acquiring Tebow right they extended Sanchez, it seems as though the fans were more cognizant of what was going to happen more than Woody, Rez, Tannebaum et al.

12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its not that he doesnt have a say, I honestly think he doesnt care too much about the offensive side of the ball. His passion is and always will be with the defense. Not exactly the best attitude for a head coach.

But hey, if he wants to be a defensive coordinator again, Im sure that can be arranged very quickly.
If he "doesn't care" then he should be fired. There is not a single NFL coach that "doesn't care" about one side of the game. Where 50% of the game is played.

Closed Thread