HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Injury prone, below average shot blocker, and not that physical, not what the Oilers are looking for. I would say their looking more for a RHS physical D and Sekera is definitely not that. He's also over paid to be a 3rd pairing D, cap hit may only be 2.75M, but his salary is 3M+.
And if we can't get that RHS physical d-man and we have the cap room should we just dress Corey Potter instead?

We need to start putting the best players we can get out there. There is nothing wrong with upgrading a player with a similar type of player. Sure I'd love to get my hands on a physical d-man, but if we can't we have to start looking at the next best thing.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:57 AM
OilFury

vCash: 500
jones has been such a gem for us.. i dont know why anyone would want to trade him/have him on 4th line..the guy has earned his spot. if he could improve his breakaway skill he would be scroing 30 goals on the third line... he is good in so many areas and is cheap.. draws a ton of penaltys..and again the breakaways..

we might have a lot of firepower but with yak we have 2 very skilled lines and 2 very good PP units.. that will make us such a deadly team, his passing and release are crazy good that toronto trade is just silly lol!

as for cap room..i dont see what your talking about we have like 0 cap room imo we have 7.2mil according to capgeek hall and eberles new contracts start next year adding about 6mil to the cap we have to give jones,smid new contracts along with some smaller ones like petrell. so we are very tight on that... and cant afford to take on more unless we have moved the same $ value as we need to save space for the future

Old
12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
And if we can't get that RHS physical d-man and we have the cap room should we just dress Corey Potter instead?

We need to start putting the best players we can get out there. There is nothing wrong with upgrading a player with a similar type of player. Sure I'd love to get my hands on a physical d-man, but if we can't we have to start looking at the next best thing.
Is Sekera that much of a upgrade over Peckham, at EV yes, but a SH he's a giant step backwards. Would rather reserve a spot for one of the prospects then trade for a bottom pair D.

I guess this comes down to if Peckham can return to form or not. Right now I would take that chance on Peckham, because he supplies the grit the Oilers so desperately need.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Is Sekera that much of a upgrade over Peckham, at EV yes, but a SH he's a giant step backwards. Would rather reserve a spot for one of the prospects then trade for a bottom pair D.

I guess this comes down to if Peckham can return to form or not. Right now I would take that chance on Peckham, because he supplies the grit the Oilers so desperately need.
What prospects would that be? Teubert, Plante, Marincin?

We need to get pass this hold a spot for a prospect stage.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
OilFury

if peckham can return to form then he could turn into a very nice long term bottom pairing/pk guy for us..the guy can pk and is mean so we will see if he can shake off the bad season.

unless theres a wow trade involving one of our current d its peckham/klefbom fighting for that last spot imo.. i think peckham starts the season and if he is not returning to form klefbom comes up from the ahl..

and as for prospects we have a lot of great d prospects coming up with marincin/gernat/musil/marincin/fedun even bigos laleggia and davidson i was surprised by his play so far this year i didnt expect that much from him.

problem is none of them will be NHL ready for a few years, besides klefbom marincin is the closest one to NHL ready but he needs a good year or 2 to work out his badplays. i'm hoping by the end of the season he does that tho...

i wish nelson would switch schultz and marincin up i'd like fedun with schultz and i think it would be best for marincin to not play with schultz as his offensive tools are not getting enough use playing with him

happier?

Last edited by OilFury: 12-13-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFury View Post
if peckham can return to form then he could turn into a very nice long term bottom pairing/pk guy for us..the guy can pk and is mean so we will see if he can shake off the bad season. unless theres a wow trade involving one of our current d its peckham/klefbom fighting for that last spot imo.. i think peckham starts the season and if he is not returning to form klefbom comes up from the ahl.. and as for prospects we have a lot of great d prospects coming up with marincin/gernat/musil/marincin/fedun even bigos laleggia and davidson i was surprised by his play so far this year i didnt expect that much from him. problem is none of them will be NHL ready for a few years, besides klefbom marincin is the closest one to NHL ready but he needs a good year or 2 to work out his badplays. i'm hoping by the end of the season he does that tho... i wish nelson would switch schultz and marincin up i'd like fedun with schultz and i think it would be best for marincin to not play with schultz as his offensive tools are not getting enough use playing with him
a) use periods and breaks. it makes your post more readable.

b) if a prospect isn't NHL ready for a couple of years, then they're not in the discussion for the NHL this/next year.

The reality is that whoever is the 5th or even 6th defenseman on the Oilers roster has to be decent because as demonstrated over the last several seasons, injuries will take its toll and todays 5th defenseman will play a huge number of games in the top 4.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

This purely hypothetical (and if any Blues homers decide to come on and read this, please don't say 'this would never happen' because I don't care. I'm asking for value from Oilers fans).

Say St. Louis for whatever reason offered Pietrangelo for Yakupov. Would you take it?

I personally would. I think what is happening in OKC is evidence as of why. Even with a far more elite offense, they are doing worse than last year because they have a D-core that is less experienced. (Bringing up again, the value of having a steady D-core.)
I think a D group of:

Pietrangelo
J. Schultz
Smid
Petry
N. Schultz
Klefbom
Peckham

going forward would be one of the best groups in the NHL and guarantee us playoffs every year, while still leaving us a very elite top line, and just some secondary scoring and grit holes to fill

Old
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
This purely hypothetical (and if any Blues homers decide to come on and read this, please don't say 'this would never happen' because I don't care. I'm asking for value from Oilers fans).

Say St. Louis for whatever reason offered Pietrangelo for Yakupov. Would you take it?

I personally would. I think what is happening in OKC is evidence as of why. Even with a far more elite offense, they are doing worse than last year because they have a D-core that is less experienced. (Bringing up again, the value of having a steady D-core.)
I think a D group of:

Pietrangelo
J. Schultz
Smid
Petry
N. Schultz
Klefbom
Peckham

going forward would be one of the best groups in the NHL and guarantee us playoffs every year, while still leaving us a very elite top line, and just some secondary scoring and grit holes to fill
Relative to their respective leagues:
Our NHL D is >>> our AHL D
Our NHL secondary scoring is >>> our AHL secondary scoring
Our NHL PK is >>> our AHL PK
Our NHL goaltending is > our AHL Goaltending
Our NHL PP is > our AHL PP

Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-J. Schultz
Whitney-?

is most definitely better than

Deck-J. Schultz
Fedun-Teubert
Marincin-Plante/Henry

The AHL's top pairing is better than the NHL's version, however the 2nd and 3rd pairings are much greater at the NHL level.

12-16-2012, 05:24 PM
OilFury

yak is going to be a dynamic player, i dont like the trade as good as pietrangelo is, and with us having j.schultz

i like our d for the year if whitney is back to form its going to be money if whitney cant get back to 100% he is still usefull to the team..

Old
12-16-2012, 05:54 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Relative to their respective leagues:
Our NHL D is >>> our AHL D
Our NHL secondary scoring is >>> our AHL secondary scoring
Our NHL PK is >>> our AHL PK
Our NHL goaltending is > our AHL Goaltending
Our NHL PP is > our AHL PP
Quote:

Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-J. Schultz
Whitney-?

Deck-J. Schultz
Fedun-Teubert
Marincin-Plante/Henry

The AHL's top pairing is better than the NHL's version, however the 2nd and 3rd pairings are much greater at the NHL level.
But the same could be said about last year or any year. I'm not comparing our NHL roster to our AHL roster. I'm comparing our AHL defense last year to this year, and saying that noticeable difference will translate to the NHL, where (until maybe Schultz and Klefbom come in to save it) is still well below average.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post

I think a D group of:

Pietrangelo
J. Schultz
Smid
Petry
N. Schultz
Klefbom
Peckham

You make that trade in a heart beat. Yakupov is a superb talent, but Pietrangelo is likely to be one of the leagues top defenders for more than a decade. I'd take him over Doughty. Other than Weber, their is probably no defenseman in the league that I would give up more for than Pietrangelo.

I know that you know his game. Are you surprised at how good he has been in the NHL?

Old
12-16-2012, 08:22 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
You make that trade in a heart beat. Yakupov is a superb talent, but Pietrangelo is likely to be one of the leagues top defenders for more than a decade. I'd take him over Doughty. Other than Weber, their is probably no defenseman in the league that I would give up more for than Pietrangelo.

I know that you know his game. Are you surprised at how good he has been in the NHL?
Not at all. He always had the offensive tools, but I remember in his draft year, I still questioned his ability to play in his own end, until he got Mono and left us in the playoffs.

I was never impressed watching Tavares play that year for Oshawa, and found out that it was because he always played against Alex. Pietrangelo just did those little things right that don't go noticed. Without Pietrangelo we lost in 6 to Oshawa (I'm sure we would have won with him there)

The next year he came back to us and carried a 7th place team to a 7 game win over a very strong Ottawa team, and even though we lost in 5 against 1st place Belleville in round 2, I'm fairly certain that every game was close, including some overtime losses.

But yes, like you said, that's a deal that you have to make in a heartbeat. He and Schultz as our top pairing, followed by Smid and Petry as a reliable 2nd pairing would be our ticket into the playoffs.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:54 PM
jmoss45

Anyone think we could pry a C out of Colorado? They have next to no wing prospects, and are rated 26/30 for prospects by HF.

Can't see them dealing Duchene. I'd rather stay away from the cost of Statsny. O'reilly would be perfect though.

Maybe MPS+Pitlick+2nd for O'reilly?

Or move Gagner to Chi for Teravainen, then send Teravainen+Pitlick for O'reilly?

Old
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Anyone think we could pry a C out of Colorado? They have next to no wing prospects, and are rated 26/30 for prospects by HF.

Can't see them dealing Duchene. I'd rather stay away from the cost of Statsny. O'reilly would be perfect though.

Maybe MPS+Pitlick+2nd for O'reilly?

Or move Gagner to Chi for Teravainen, then send Teravainen+Pitlick for O'reilly?
Chicago would just leave us out of the deal and just take the better player and centre in O'Reilly if Teravainen is going to be the centrepiece.

And I don't know if I do that Pietrangelo for Yakupov deal. Yakupov pretty much guarantees us elite secondary scoring and we have a respectable top 4 of Schultz, Kelfbom, Smid, and Petry for the future. Obviously Pietrangelo takes that group from respectable to very, very good, but after the top line and Hemsky's regression and injury woes, we're pretty damn thin.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Baggers

I trade anyone on the Oilers 1-for-1 for Pietrangelo. Yakupov, Hall, and RNH may one day be top-5 players at their position. Pietrangelo already is top-5 at his position.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
I trade anyone on the Oilers 1-for-1 for Pietrangelo. Yakupov, Hall, and RNH may one day be top-5 players at their position. Pietrangelo already is top-5 at his position.
I wouldn't trade RNH. Top 5 NHL centers like Datsyuk, Crosby, Malkin, H. Sedin do not grow on trees either.

Trading Yak, Hall or Eberle for Pietrangelo is ok, because you don't create an immediate NEW need. Trading RNH creates another huge oganizational hole at C.

RNH is also the only guy the Blues would even consider trading Pietrangelo for - which should be an indication that you'll never see that deal.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I wouldn't trade RNH. Top 5 NHL centers like Datsyuk, Crosby, Malkin, H. Sedin do not grow on trees either.

Trading Yak, Hall or Eberle for Pietrangelo is ok, because you don't create an immediate NEW need. Trading RNH creates another huge oganizational hole at C.

RNH is also the only guy the Blues would even consider trading Pietrangelo for - which should be an indication that you'll never see that deal.
I wouldnt trade Hall either, we have no LW depth. I'd trade Yakupov+ in a heartbeat though, because the way I look at it with our depth at RW I don't see Yak getting more then 20 min of ice time a game. Where as Pietrangelo could play up to 30min per game and be our stabilizing force on the back end. Imagine having a team where we always have an elite d man on the ice if Schultz turns out to be as good as forecast.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
OilFury

i like what we have, 2 very good offensive lines will be scary and i'm confident we have the d in our system to be very solid for years to come, yak is RW but he can play LW for us.. and can work the point on the 2nd PP unit

Old
12-18-2012, 10:50 AM
worraps
Acceptance

I think the only chance anyone has at prying Pieterangelo from St. Louis is via dispersal draft at this point.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-J. Schultz
Whitney-?

Deck-J. Schultz
Fedun-Teubert
Marincin-Plante/Henry

not sure I completely agree...
Plante was an AHL allstar and Teubert was one of the better Dmen in AHL last year.
AHL pairing of Teubert-Plante was as good as any in AHL last year.
Fedun at AHL level is comparable to Petry at NHL level
Marincin is comparable if not better than a Whitney with a bad foot.
Fillers like Deck,Henry etc have been better than what we got from Sutton\Peckham and Barker..

I dont expect our NHL D to be any better than what we are seeing at AHL level.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:50 AM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Plante was an AHL allstar and Teubert was one of the better Dmen in AHL last year.
Fillers like Deck,Henry etc have been better than what we got from Sutton\Peckham and Barker..

I've said it for 3 years now, Marincin will be a perennial beast on the blue line.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
I've said it for 3 years now, Marincin will be a perennial beast on the blue line.
remember Mironov ?? Marincin would be something like him..
Some nights it was 'oooo Boboooo'
others 'oo Bobo '

If Marincin can get his brain farts in check he could carve out a solid career for himself.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

And that was probably a big part of why the barons had success last year.. but this is not last year and none of these guys deserve to be even close to an ahl all star discussion or top pairing

Old
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
And that was probably a big part of why the barons had success last year.. but this is not last year and none of these guys deserve to be even close to an ahl all star discussion or top pairing
good point but who is to say that last year's solid pairing of Smid-Petry cant suck in future?
If one of these 2 struggle this year then EDM would once again have the worst D group in NHL.

on paper before the season, Teubert\Plante\Fedun\Schultz\Marincin \Davidson looked like the best D group in AHL.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:29 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

this team still needs 3 things coming out of the lockout:

-goaltending...not convinced Dubnyk can shoulder the load and Khabby is done IMO
-another d-man...Sutton looks to be done and Schultz still hasn't played an NHL game...need a rugged defensive d-man
-size and grit up front...too small and soft at forward...need a banger and crasher as well

Closed Thread