HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Latvia

Old
12-17-2012, 02:13 AM
v-man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Can someone enlighten me about our pre-tournament schedule? How many exhibition games do we have this year?
According to the LHF site, they're only playing two games tomorrow and Wednesday against SKA 1946

18.12.2012. 18:00 Latvija SKA 1946 Brocēni
19.12.2012. 17:00 Latvija SKA 1946 Inbox.lv

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg87 View Post
As a sabres fan, I really hope they release Girgs and let him play. I'm still not thrilled he's playing in the AHL instead of juniors but it would be a mistake not to let him play for his country. It would be also good for him to go against players his own age even if it was only briefly.
He would have been in the NCAA otherwise, not a junior league.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
He would have been in the NCAA otherwise, not a junior league.
No, Zemgus had said that he'd be willing to go to Kelowna if that's what the Sabres wanted and he didn't make the cut in the AHL/NHL. His NCAA option was over as soon as he signed his contract and showed up for camp.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
No, Zemgus had said that he'd be willing to go to Kelowna if that's what the Sabres wanted and he didn't make the cut in the AHL/NHL. His NCAA option was over as soon as he signed his contract and showed up for camp.
If the Sabres signed him and sent him to junior that would be an indication they made a mistake.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:35 PM
jfb392

Quote:
If the Sabres signed him and sent him to junior that would be an indication they made a mistake.
I really doubt that any team would have wanted their first round draft pick going to a bottom feeder program like Vermont.
Plus, the number of NCAA kids pushed to go to major junior after being drafted speaks for itself.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Huffman

Klavins has looked so good the last few games, a shame he's not on the team...

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I really doubt that any team would have wanted their first round draft pick going to a bottom feeder program like Vermont.
Plus, the number of NCAA kids pushed to go to major junior after being drafted speaks for itself.
Girgensons has shown he has far beyond the CHL level. He's holding his own in the AHL. Playing in the CHL would be a treadmill move on his development track.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Girgensons has shown he has far beyond the CHL level. He's holding his own in the AHL. Playing in the CHL would be a treadmill move on his development track.
he's been damn good for a rook in the AHL and when he gets his offense going he will surprise a lot of people.

12-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
he's been damn good for a rook in the AHL and when he gets his offense going he will surprise a lot of people.
The only way he will surprise me is if he flops.

Very promising player.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
True, but there's on guarantee he would have done that if Buffalo didn't believe him ready for the AHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Just stop. The problem with that comparison is that it can only be a one way relationship. Take the comparison to a thread that deals with it.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:53 AM
GX

On 21.12.2012 (day before final roster is announced) team will face Latvian league All-star team. Should definitely try to watch this game.

To anyone not aware, Latvian league currently is in a wretched state and mostly consists of half-professional veterans and U18 players.

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:17 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Gotta love our preparation as always. Playing SKA is fine, they are a good and jelled team which will no doubt try to get one over a National team of ours, but this last one is truly baffling. Play SKA for the third time ffs if there no other willing opponent.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:32 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX View Post
On 21.12.2012 (day before final roster is announced) team will face Latvian league All-star team. Should definitely try to watch this game.

To anyone not aware, Latvian league currently is in a wretched state and mostly consists of half-professional veterans and U18 players.
Where did you hear about that? I can't find anything about it on SC, Delfi, lhf.lv, etc. There's surprisingly almost no mention of the junior team at all on the federation's site, other than the upcoming games list, where this isn't mentioned. You'd think they'd put in at least a minimal effort to try and build some kind of interest and support for the boys. Even their facebook page has nothing, yet they find the time to post videos of Kenins baking cookies for Christmas. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

As for the situation with the Latvian League, it's never going to be anything more than what it is now, nor should it really be expected to be. LV simply doesn't have the population to support a true pro league, both fan wise, player wise and in terms of available investors. It's akin to expecting any major city to have a league of its own. Entirely unnecessary. The best players should be playing in more established leagues as it is to further their careers and progress.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:40 AM
GX

The game on 21.12. is mentioned on the latest "Girgensons is not coming" press release. I personally saw it on tvnet.

We probably shouldn't get into this here, but, well, Latvian league until 2008 (when Lipmans allowed the top 4 clubs to play elsewhere and when crisis hit us) was truly great and is something I hope to see one day again.

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 07:27 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg87 View Post
As a sabres fan, I really hope they release Girgs and let him play. I'm still not thrilled he's playing in the AHL instead of juniors but it would be a mistake not to let him play for his country. It would be also good for him to go against players his own age even if it was only briefly.
I think the Sabres feel Girgensons playing with Cody Hodgson and Marcus Foligno is better for his development. I don't agree much with what the Sabres do, but I do on this one.

He played on the first line this weekend, not the 4th line that was thrown out earlier.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Tied at 2 after two periods against SKA, special teams is getting plenty of early runout it seems.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I think the Sabres feel Girgensons playing with Cody Hodgson and Marcus Foligno is better for his development. I don't agree much with what the Sabres do, but I do on this one.

He played on the first line this weekend, not the 4th line that was thrown out earlier.
I don't believe that 2 weeks in the AHL are better for a player's development than the same amount of time at the WJC. We are talking about 2 weeks, not 2 months. This is Zemgus' last chance to go to this tourney (95% that next year he will stay with the adults) and Sabres management denies him that possibility.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I don't believe that 2 weeks in the AHL are better for a player's development than the same amount of time at the WJC. We are talking about 2 weeks, not 2 months. This is Zemgus' last chance to go to this tourney (95% that next year he will stay with the adults) and Sabres management denies him that possibility.
I think much of the decision not to release him is simply that Rochester needs bodies. There've been quite a few injuries to their forwards so far this season. It's probably more about that than deciding they don't think the WJC's won't be good for his development.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:40 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I think much of the decision not to release him is simply that Rochester needs bodies. There've been quite a few injuries to their forwards so far this season. It's probably more about that than deciding they don't think the WJC's won't be good for his development.
This is a factor as well, but also, if he's going to play with two NHLers on a line, that's just simply better for him than the WJC's.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yeah, I can understand that. At least it's sincere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
This is a factor as well, but also, if he's going to play with two NHLers on a line, that's just simply better for him than the WJC's.
2 weeks on the same line with young and not fully developed NHLers won't make him a completely different player.

WJC participation means a lot to most juniors, especially Europeans.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Yeah, I can understand that. At least it's sincere.

2 weeks on the same line with young and not fully developed NHLers won't make him a completely different player.

WJC participation means a lot to most juniors, especially Europeans.
Him staying or going won't effect his overall development at all unless he is severely injured during that time period. I think he should be able to go, but if the Sabres need him that's where his obligations lies.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Xokkeu

Wow, just terrible if the Sabres don't let him play.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Hawkaholic

Who are your top 10 scorers? Who is your starting goalie.

Even 5 players is enough.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Who are your top 10 scorers? Who is your starting goalie.

Even 5 players is enough.
The starting goalie will most likely be Elvis Merzlikins, who plays with HC Lugano of the Swiss League. He plays mostly for the junior team but has dressed for 5 games with the senior NLA team.

There's a chance though that Rihards Cimermanis of HK Riga might get the call too. Back-ups will be either Ivars Punnenovs of the Kloten Flyers (Swiss) or Vadims Miscuks of Liepajas Metalurgs.

As for the top scorers, since Girgensons isn't being released by the Sabres/Amerks, it's probably:

Roberts Lipsbergs - Seattle Thunderbirds. Currently leading rookie scoring in the WHL.
Nikita Jevpalovs - Blainville Boisbrand Armada (QMJHL)
Teddy Blueger - Minnesota State (Pens second round pick)
Rihards Bukarts - HK Riga (MHL) probably a fairly high pick in the 2014 draft
Edgars Kulda - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL). He's not having a great season so far scoring wise, but is a physical force and has had more luck with scoring on European rinks.

Last edited by v-man: 12-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 10:58 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
The starting goalie will most likely be Elvis Merzlikins, who plays with HC Lugano of the Swiss League. He plays mostly for the junior team but has dressed for 5 games with the senior NLA team.

There's a chance though that Rihards Cimermanis of HK Riga might get the call too. Back-ups will be either Ivars Punnenovs of the Kloten Flyers (Swiss) or Vadims Miscuks of Liepajas Metalurgs.

As for the top scorers, since Girgensons isn't being released by the Sabres/Amerks, it's probably:

Roberts Lipsbergs - Seattle Thunderbirds. Currently leading rookie scoring in the WHL.
Nikita Jevpalovs - Blainville Boisbrand Armada (QMJHL)
Teddy Blueger - Minnesota State (Pens second round pick)
Rihards Bukarts - HK Riga (MHL) probably a fairly high pick in the 2014 draft
Edgars Kulda - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL). He's not having a great season so far scoring wise, but is a physical force and has had more luck with scoring on European rinks.
Kulda wont be our top scorer no matter how you put it, id add Kuzmenkovs from Belorussian mens league and Jelisejevs from HK riga too.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote