HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Completely OT (Some Obscene Number)

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
We are organizing a most handsome player in the league poll tournament for the poll board, could you guys give me 3 of the most handsome players on the team?

We are doing a 68 player tournament and are doing 2 from each team with 8 players as wildcards.
Brooks Laich.
Nick Backstrom.
Karl Alzner.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Cush
-inator

From the "It's About Time Dept"

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012...awed-fcc-rules
Quote:
Listen up, TV advertisers: Big Brother is muting you! Well, not entirely. But beginning at midnight tonight, new Federal Communications Commission rules will bar television networks from blasting viewers with those excessively loud, screamy commercial breaks. At last you can retrieve your sanity from Empire Carpet and the KIA Hamsters. (The rules will not, however, get those damn kids off your lawn.)

Old
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Cush
-inator

(old news, just heard about it) what a rip off: http://news.yahoo.com/mayan-calendar...205022436.html

Quote:
Archeologists have unearthed what they say is the oldest known version of the Mayan calendar and one that doesn't "end" with the Earth's destruction later this year. Yeah, you're welcome.

RELATED: The 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Is Back; A New Old Tomato

According to The Washington Post's Brian Vastag, researchers excavating the "lost" city of Xultún in present-day Guatemala discovered new astronomical tables carved into the wall of a "1200-year-old residential building." Much like the Maya codices that conspiracy theorists say predict an end-of-the-world date in December 2012, the tables chart planetary movements, moon and star patterns, and can predict the positions of celestial bodies thousands of years into the past and the future.

Last edited by Cush: 12-15-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old
12-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Cush
-inator

did Homeland just jump the shark?

Old
12-17-2012, 12:13 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Err I thought the episode rocked.

12-17-2012, 08:05 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
I liked it. Granted there were some holes, as in
Spoil:
how could someone just randomly get the car that close to such a high profile event or how the two of them could get out of the facility so easily
...but over all I liked the episode and how it ended with Carrie and Saul.

Mandy Patinkin was absolutely fantastic in this episode and all season. He's really the main reason I'm still going to stick with the show. Im kept telling my wife all season..."If they off Saul...Im out!"

Old
12-17-2012, 08:54 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Spoil:
how could someone just randomly get the car that close to such a high profile event or how the two of them could get out of the facility so easily

Mandy Patinkin was absolutely fantastic in this episode and all season. He's really the main reason I'm still going to stick with the show. Im kept telling my wife all season..."If they off Saul...Im out!"
Totally agree: Mandy was great! Love his acting. Terry took me to hear him give a concert at the Kennedy Center a few years ago. Trust me, you don't want to hear him sing: all falsetto.

Again, agree: lotta holes. No way he drives a SUV full of C4 into Langley, and highly unlikely that it was added after he arrived. Why wasn't the president there to honor his VP at this CIA memorial? And how does Carrie drive out of Langley, let alone with Brody, without getting caught or being seen?

Still, I loved it!

Old
12-17-2012, 09:06 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Err I thought the episode rocked.
Figured out last night what draws me in about this show: how much the guy writing it understands psychology. No one here knows this, but one of my hats is that I am a certified counselor. I don't work in the field, and disagree with many of the modern notions, but have the certification, nonetheless.

One of the things I learned was that, a while back, a neurologist discovered an unknown (at that time) path between the emotional part of the brain, and the part that does the higher reasoning.
He termed it the "low road" because it's very fast-acting. Humans developed the path so we could react quickly in the event of danger, thus saving our lives.
But, this path can also cloud reasoning when we're not in physical danger, but are in a highly emotional state.

Whoever writes the script, I'd wager, at very least, has training in the field, and did well in the classes. His scripts are spot-on as to low-road behavior.

Can't wait until next season!

Old
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I also loved the thing with Quinn...and him being in Estes bedroom and the "I kill bad guys" line.

Now after what happened, and knowing that if he had carried out what he was supposed to and him not doing it led to Brody's truck being where it was...well, he should be pretty upset about things...even though he one of a few that know when that video was tape and what it was taped for as compared to what it was used for.

Sets up a lot for the next season, that's for sure.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:50 AM
BTCG

Quote:
I also loved the thing with Quinn...and him being in Estes bedroom and the "I kill bad guys" line.

Now after what happened, and knowing that if he had carried out what he was supposed to and him not doing it led to Brody's truck being where it was...well, he should be pretty upset about things...even though he one of a few that know when that video was tape and what it was taped for as compared to what it was used for.

Sets up a lot for the next season, that's for sure.

Yeah... loved that bedroom scene between Quinn & Estes. That line will be remembered like the "Go ahead, make my day" line is remembered.

I kept trying to figure out if it'll turn out that Brody actually did it. Did seem a little too lucky that he got himself & Carrie out, just in time.

We figured the guy making the fake ID must not have had the tv on in the room he was working in: aiding Brody is espionage and possible treason. They hang people for that.

AND... how powerful of an image was the final scene when they initially scanned all of those wrapped bodies?

Like to know how fast that SUV Carrie drove back in is. Terry grew up near where she dropped Brody off, and she says it's at least a 12 hour drive back. Had to be the next day, and I guess that makes sense, as it took time to id and wrap the bodies.

Quinn will figure heavily into next season... and I cannot wait!!!!!

Old
12-17-2012, 01:17 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Totally agree: Mandy was great! Love his acting. Terry took me to hear him give a concert at the Kennedy Center a few years ago. Trust me, you don't want to hear him sing: all falsetto.

Again, agree: lotta holes. No way he drives a SUV full of C4 into Langley, and highly unlikely that it was added after he arrived. Why wasn't the president there to honor his VP at this CIA memorial? And how does Carrie drive out of Langley, let alone with Brody, without getting caught or being seen?

Still, I loved it!
There was an interview with one of the producers and the president wasn't there as this was just a cia memorial for the intelligence community there or something along those lines.

As far as the SUV too many unknowns to call it a hole yet unless they completely ignore it in Season 3 but doubtful. Who knows it could could have been an identical make/model/color.

And getting out of Langley one would assume considering the incredible damage from that bomb that they slipped out in the chaos. Not too far fetched but understand some of the nitpicking after a couple of things in episodes after 5.

Totally agree that Saul is pretty f'ing good even if I had a nagging suspician earlier in the season that he might be the/a mole. Dig the Quinn character also his role in Brody's interogattion scene and that warning to Estes was pretty sweet. Also the shock and realization of his family seeing the Brody confession tape was very very good.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:35 PM
BTCG

Okay... so when does the next season start? Hope it's not like Breaking Bad or the Soprano's, and we're waiting more than a year.

UPDATE: they're saying next fall. Geez, nearly a year.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:56 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Homeland S2 premiered on Sept. 30th. so yeah like 10 months. With only a 12 episode per season run I prefer it all at once instead of split. Personally I think the episode count needs to get up to 16 to allow for an 8 and 8 split (like the Walking Dead this season).

Dexter season 7 finale was so f'ing good.../end of line.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
See....I dunno. I thought it was kinda Meh.

I mean, I get it and I get where its going...but I wasnt really buying the way it went down at the end with Laguerta not calling back up and those two just walking around at the end. What happened at the scene? Did they clean up the bodies? Why did Deb use her service weapon?

Ive always liked Dexter, even the dull years (not including Trinity...which was awesome) and Im still hopeful for a good final season, but they also got some splain' to do.

I do like that Deb is going down the same path. She's ruined now. And its on Dex.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Homeland S2 premiered on Sept. 30th. so yeah like 10 months. With only a 12 episode per season run I prefer it all at once instead of split. Personally I think the episode count needs to get up to 16 to allow for an 8 and 8 split (like the Walking Dead this season).

When I was a kid, a show had 24-28 episodes per season: 6 months worth.

After the first 6 months, you got your re-runs.

I say, let's go back to the old days.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:38 PM
BTCG

Terry & I watch these others shows, that'll be starting in a couple weeks & more:

Dance Mom's (the blonde Mom with the odd nose is kinda sexy)

White Collar (writing lapsed a bit of late)

Justified (I really like this one)

Celebrity Apprentice (they could cut back a bit on the rehash after every commercial)

Breaking Bad next summer, will be amazing, and sad, as it'll be over. I have never missed an episode.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:12 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
When I was a kid, a show had 24-28 episodes per season: 6 months worth.

After the first 6 months, you got your re-runs.

I say, let's go back to the old days.
Well the networks are the only ones that have the money for the 24 episode seasons todays but with naturally less flexibility on the creative side. Pay channels and the cable tv channels can't compete on the episode count but honestly that is ok. On a 24 episode season run there tends to be some episodes that are lower quality. Only couple that I remember being solid every episode was a couple seasons of 24 and maybe Heroes S1 (every episode was strong, imho).

So many channels other than the big network shows means there is generally something of quality or highly entertaining all year. Though I've been cutting some fluff series this year.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Spoil:

Spoil:
The bomb-sniffing dogs that they've shown multiple times in the series apparently had the day off when there was a gathering of a few hundred influential people scheduled

Personally, I thought it was a crap finale. 45 minutes of a Lifetime movie of the week with 15 minutes of non-nonsensical twists

Spoil:
And you just know they're going to completely ignore the fact that Carrie stepped out of the ceremony shortly before the bomb went off and was missing for at least 18 hours

It's just fallen a long way from the intelligent thriller unlike anything else on TV. Claire Daines and Mandy Patinkin are completely wasted.

I guess that's what we should expect from the writers of 24 though.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Well the networks are the only ones that have the money for the 24 episode seasons todays but with naturally less flexibility on the creative side. Pay channels and the cable tv channels can't compete on the episode count but honestly that is ok. On a 24 episode season run there tends to be some episodes that are lower quality. Only couple that I remember being solid every episode was a couple seasons of 24 and maybe Heroes S1 (every episode was strong, imho).

So many channels other than the big network shows means there is generally something of quality or highly entertaining all year. Though I've been cutting some fluff series this year.
Geez Usiel... you never saw the Brady Bunch? It was always good. Marcia, Marcia, MARCIA!

Old
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Spoil:
The bomb-sniffing dogs that they've shown multiple times in the series apparently had the day off when there was a gathering of a few hundred influential people scheduled

Personally, I thought it was a crap finale. 45 minutes of a Lifetime movie of the week with 15 minutes of non-nonsensical twists

Spoil:
And you just know they're going to completely ignore the fact that Carrie stepped out of the ceremony shortly before the bomb went off and was missing for at least 18 hours

It's just fallen a long way from the intelligent thriller unlike anything else on TV. Claire Daines and Mandy Patinkin are completely wasted.

Imo both of those spoilers are stuff we should find out in season 3 but would agree if these details are some glazed over that would be horrible.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Spoil:

Spoil:

Naysayer... what's next? You gonna claim Moonshiners and Gold Rush are fake? I'll bet you think Jesse James won the build-off too.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
BTCG

You're still the same,
I caught up with you yesterday,

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2ctiyh...d-now-shes-85/

Old
12-17-2012, 07:10 PM
BTCG

More cool stuff:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9okPHu...battery2.html/

Not the battery... check out the VOM (volt-ohm-meter): that's a Simpson 260, a classic. I used one when I was 11 years old working in my Dad's TV repair shop. I still own a 260. That is a beautiful meter!

Old
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So I'm going on my honeymoon in three weeks, and looking for a book (preferably fantasy) series to read.

I'm thinking it's between The Dark Tower or Wheel of Time.

Any suggestions between the two (or other recommendations)?

Old
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I am not a Fantasy novel fan so no opinion from me on your two choices, but I do recommend the Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Its the book series that the Russell Crow movie "Master and Commander" is based off of. I am like 5 books in. Enjoyable so far.

Closed Thread