HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Old
12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Of course Kent would have never worked out in NY.

Of course.

Of course, you didnt hear Mets fans say that while he was playing here, especially in 1995 when they had one of the better 2nd half records in the MLB with a very young team, and Kent was crushing the ball.

Barry Bonds hated Kent. Everybody hated Kent. The point is that when you dont trade consistency, especially at 2B or 3B.

Both Kent and Macreynolds were hated by the media and players because they kept to themselves. But both were productive as Mets.
It's my opinion as I was a young teenager back in those days but I think Kent would have either bolted town whenever his next contract was up or he would have gone on to have a career similar to Kovalev's regular season stats as a Ranger at best; pretty good but nothing outstanding. He really didn't want to be here at all. Fans didn't accept him, media hated him, and he didn't care for either.

McReynolds had one very good season as a Met and that was it. Never liked the guy even as a kid. Never did anything clutch. Of course he had the infamous "now I can go fishing" quote after the 88 playoffs.

Trading Mitchell and then Dykstra for the Mets was pretty much the equivalent of when the Rangers traded Zubov and then Norstrom.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:30 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It's my opinion as I was a young teenager back in those days but I think Kent would have either bolted town whenever his next contract was up or he would have gone on to have a career similar to Kovalev's regular season stats as a Ranger at best; pretty good but nothing outstanding. He really didn't want to be here at all. Fans didn't accept him, media hated him, and he didn't care for either.

McReynolds had one very good season as a Met and that was it. Never liked the guy even as a kid. Never did anything clutch. Of course he had the infamous "now I can go fishing" quote after the 88 playoffs.

Trading Mitchell and then Dykstra for the Mets was pretty much the equivalent of when the Rangers traded Zubov and then Norstrom.
You see, Kent did want to be here. The problem was that in 1996, expectations were high after the strong second half in 1995, the expectation that Pulsipher, Izzy and Wilson would anchor the staff, and they added Gilkey and Johnson.

They stunk out of the gate and the season was a fiasco. So naturally, the NY media tries to find a whipping boy and everyone starts pointing fingers.

Trading Kent was the last thing the Mets needed to do. It was a panic move by McIlvane because the 1996 season was lost. In hindsight it's even worse because Alfonzo magically broke down before he hit 30 while Kent was winning Silver Sluggers.

And Macreynolds was a model of consistency. He was a 5-tool guy. Same effort every night.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:36 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Will begrudgingly learn to love this trade. Really gonna miss Dickey though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Will begrudgingly learn to love this trade. Really gonna miss Dickey though.
3 years from now when Dickeys out of baseball because his knuckler isnt magic anymore and those 2 stud prospects are all stars,you'll love the trade and say..R.A who?

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Rangers4Life74

i must say,even as a Yankees fan,Sandy fleeced Toronto.granted they are prospects,highly touted ones and theres no guarantee they will make it,theres also no guarantee the magic run of Dickey wont run out soon either.

locking up Dickey to an extension on a average to below average team is not how you build a winner.love him or hate him,the guy knows how to build a winner.in the long run,this trade 5 years from now could very well be the steal of the decade

this 18 year old they also got in the deal is said to have some real nice skills,who knows just how he turns out.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:01 PM
30theking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
i must say,even as a Yankees fan,Sandy fleeced Toronto.granted they are prospects,highly touted ones and theres no guarantee they will make it,theres also no guarantee the magic run of Dickey wont run out soon either.

locking up Dickey to an extension on a average to below average team is not how you build a winner.love him or hate him,the guy knows how to build a winner.in the long run,this trade 5 years from now could very well be the steal of the decade

this 18 year old they also got in the deal is said to have some real nice skills,who knows just how he turns out.
toronto made this trade purely cause they are trying to win it all right now. not a few years from now. look at all these new players they got. clearly they are done waiting for their young players to build off of and are now just trying to get the best players that are out there right now to win the whole thing next year.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post

That shows you don't know dick about Dickey. He's had tremendous major league success for three years now, to act like it's just been a fluke is incredibly insulting to the man and all the work he's put in.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:23 AM
broadwayblue

Not really much risk for the mets. Dickey wasn't going to help them in the long run...hopefully one or two of these kids can. Good trade.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Mets just traded mediocre prospect Jefry Marte for mediocre platoon OF Collin Cowgill (Oakland).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
For what it is, a solid move. Marte hasn't developed any power and is slow. He likely will never have an MLB career.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Mets just traded mediocre prospect Jefry Marte for mediocre platoon OF Collin Cowgill (Oakland).
Mediocre prospect 2+ years away for a medicore platoon OFer ready now. sounds like a good trade to me.

Cowgill sounds like a right handed hitting Mike Baxter with better defense. I'll sign up for that.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
For what it is, a solid move. Marte hasn't developed any power and is slow. He likely will never have an MLB career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Mediocre prospect 2+ years away for a medicore platoon OFer ready now. sounds like a good trade to me.

Cowgill sounds like a right handed hitting Mike Baxter with better defense. I'll sign up for that.
Yep. Agreed.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote