HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL Thread VII: Cue the Mid-Season Slide

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 11:04 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
He didnt hire either OC. Thats Tanny. Then he can bench Sanchez, fine, but Sanchez isnt get paid to sit, thats on Tanny. And who's behind Sanchez? Even worse players. I guess MAYBE McE isnt, but whatever. And for that roster, thats ALSO on Tanny.

Never said he was great. But the makeup of the team isnt his call.
Uh, Rex has about as much input as a coach can in these (i.e. he can pretty much pick who he wants working with him). So Sparano being an idiot and a horrible OC is about 95% on Rex.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:41 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I find it deliciously ironic that a Giant fan is lamenting about how fortunate a team has been at the end of a season.
Lamenting?

More like surprised that two teams within the same division are doing it simultaneously.

I thought prefacing the post with the two teams' recent records, then following that up using the "...really?" would spell out the surprise in my tone.

And in 2007 and 2011, the Giants were excruciatingly mediocre and inconsistent in the second half of both seasons. But I'm sure you knew that already. Well, then again, maybe not.

It's always fun seeing you misinterpret a post, get called out on it, then disappear for a few months.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, to each his own. And your own is apparently lazy non-sequiturs.

Not knocking the Giants in any way. But after their last 2 Superbowl runs, how is it fair to criticize other teams who are turning it on at the end of a season?
Again, where was I critical of both teams?

I said they had everything going their way. That's not criticizing them. Dallas wouldnt have won the Browns game had it not been for a 35-yard pass interference call with 20 seconds left.

In Washington's win at Baltimore, they got a questionable DPI on 3rd down on their last drive. On the previous kickoff, Ed reed recovered a fumble that would have iced the game but the call was overturned.

They're both getting breaks. It happens. Pointing it out isnt being critical.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Lamenting?

More like surprised that two teams within the same division are doing it simultaneously.

I thought prefacing the post with the two teams' recent records, then following that up using the "...really?" would spell out the surprise in my tone.

And in 2007 and 2011, the Giants were excruciatingly mediocre and inconsistent in the second half of both seasons. But I'm sure you knew that already. Well, then again, maybe not.

It's always fun seeing you misinterpret a post, get called out on it, then disappear for a few months.
You called both teams, and Im quoting here, "fortunate." Good teams ride breaks into wins, and turn it into momentum - kind of like how the Giants did during their 2 Superbowl runs.

Ill take being called out on not being a ridiculous homer any day of the week, thank you very much.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
You called both teams, and Im quoting here, "fortunate." Good teams ride breaks into wins, and turn it into momentum - kind of like how the Giants did during their 2 Superbowl runs.

Ill take being called out on not being a ridiculous homer any day of the week, thank you very much.
Yeah, I'm some homer. The kind of homer who criticized Eli all game, then a few posts earlier detailed by the numbers the Giants habitual second-half meltdowns.

This guy must be a homer too.

Quote:
Former Cowboy great Daryl Johnston freely acknowledges his former team got breaks
BARRY HORN Staff Writer bhorn@dallasnews.com
Published: 21 October 2012 08:18 PM

The Fox replay cameras clearly showed that Carolina Panthers linebacker James Anderson legally tackled Phillip Tanner for no gain as he ran around left end coming out of the two-minute warning in the fourth quarter.

But the officials saw it differently. They ruled it an illegal horse-collar takedown of the Cowboys running back. The resulting 15-yard penalty breathed life into the Cowboys offense. It was a seminal moment in the game, and perhaps the season, for the Cowboys.

By the end of the drive, the Cowboys had an insurance field goal, a 19-14 lead that would be their margin of victory, and the Panthers had no time to run a proper offense.

Analyst Daryl Johnston was right on when he rebuked the officials and called it “good defense.” Johnston’s head was still shaking from a previous officials’ call that allowed the Cowboys a timeout that saved their confused, over-manned defense and negated a Panthers first down.

“Extremely fortunate,” Johnston termed the Cowboys.
And this guy too:

Quote:
Breaking Down the ‘Boys: Cardiac Cowboys lucky to be 7-6

Although the Cowboys snuck out of Cincinnati with a win and are still very much alive in the NFC East at 7-6, they’re really lucky to be in such a position. Dallas is ranked 18th in the NFL in net points at -14, meaning the most likely outcome through 13 games would be a 6-7 record, i.e. the ‘Boys have “stolen” a victory or two this year.

Earlier this week, I posted a breakdown of the Cowboys’ four most pivotal plays in Week 14 that allowed them to come back to claim victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. At one point, the ‘Boys were nearly 9-to-1 underdogs in Cincinnati—a position that actually isn’t at all unfamiliar to them in 2012.

To show just how lucky Dallas has been (in regards to their win total, not necessarily other aspects of the team, such as injuries), let’s take a look at their low points in each of their seven wins using Advanced NFL Stats’ win probability graphs. Below, I’ve listed the Cowboys’ lowest win probability in each victory.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...o-be-7-6.html/

Old
12-18-2012, 02:07 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

McElroy named starter for the Jets.

Does this mean Sanchez won't be a Jet next season?

Old
12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

USC QB's are massive turnover machines. Always have been.

Coincidence that Cassel, Leinhart, Palmer and Sanchez are/were some of the worst statistical QB's in the league?

Tough to tell. I think Matt barkley might not even crack the 1st round if coaches around the league think so. Plus he's had a poor season compared to last year.

Statistically (not w-l record) Sanchez has been very mediocre. I think his accuracy is a major issue, so even if he has a receiver corps of deep ball threats, he will still manage to turn it over at a high rate.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Victor Cruz visited a Newtown, CT. family today. Good on him.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:11 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Victor Cruz visited a Newtown, CT. family today. Good on him.
I assume the Pinto family (their son was a huge Cruz fan and was buried in his jersey ).

Old
12-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I assume the Pinto family (their son was a huge Cruz fan and was buried in his jersey ).
Yeah that's the one. He was even seen playing football with some neighborhood kids on the front lawn. It was touching stuff.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:12 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Rumor on SNY is Mike Vick next season for the Jets. All I can say is that anyone at this point would be an upgrade over Sanchez. Anyone.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Rumor on SNY is Mike Vick next season for the Jets. All I can say is that anyone at this point would be an upgrade over Sanchez. Anyone.
When Greg McIlroy is an upgrade, we're talking literally ANYONE

Old
12-19-2012, 12:19 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Oh man, didn't hear about that. That's some heavy stuff. Really happy Cruz went and did that.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:37 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Just what the Jets need. More stopgaps.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Vick on the Jets is practically Tebow esque. Literally just another Newspaper move.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Old
12-19-2012, 05:39 AM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Vick on the Jets is practically Tebow esque. Literally just another Newspaper move.
Read before that Vick will only sign if he makes more money then Sanchez so he's the clear #1. Not sure if i want 2 qb's making 8+ million. Personally I think they should sign Alex Smith. Not the flashiest but much better at controlling a game.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Read before that Vick will only sign if he makes more money then Sanchez so he's the clear #1. Not sure if i want 2 qb's making 8+ million. Personally I think they should sign Alex Smith. Not the flashiest but much better at controlling a game.
Vick has a huge deal and I doubt he's getting cut outright.

Here's his contract info
http://www.eaglescap.com/Players/MichaelVick.html

He's already making more than Sanchez

http://nesn.com/2012/12/mark-sanchez...e-2013-season/

Looks like the jets are in a tough spot. If they cut Sanchez, they are using 17.15m of the cap for him. Trade for vick and then trade sanchez to Minnesota and you should be good

Old
12-19-2012, 06:08 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Or they can do without Vick, since he's not good.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
I think Smith would be a great sign as he is the anti-Sanchez when it comes to intelligence, decision making, and poise.

My only concern with that however, is that he'd be leaving a VERY well made San Francisco system with a vastly superior O line and superior weapons including a strong running game (I've always considered Frank Gore to the be the true "QB" on offense). He would have to take more of a leadership role on this team.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
That would be typical Jets and is one of the worst decisions the team could make.

Alex Smith would be a far better choice. Veteran game manager without a lot of baggage.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:34 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Problem is, Smith just isn't very good, either. He's what Sanchez would be in a better system and with less interceptions.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Problem is, Smith just isn't very good, either. He's what Sanchez would be in a better system and with less interceptions.
Smith would be the perfect QB in the system that the Jets WANT to be. Ground and pound, strong defense, etc.

Trouble is, the Jets identity as a team has flown off the rails over the past 2 years. They dont know who they are anymore.

Rather than searching for that magic bullet at QB, they should be focused on acquiring a capable game manager and then improving the O-line, running game, and defense.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

If I'm the Jets, I go for a veteran 5-7 years in with playoff experience.

If I say the name out loud some of you will kill me, but I think he might be available and maybe needs a change of scenery.

He's good for 4000 yards and at least 20 TDs

Again. I'm not saying his name.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If I'm the Jets, I go for a veteran 5-7 years in with playoff experience.

If I say the name out loud some of you will kill me, but I think he might be available and maybe needs a change of scenery.

He's good for 4000 yards and at least 20 TDs

Again. I'm not saying his name.
Only person I can think of off the top of my head if Phillip Rivers.

Hope you dont mean him since hes been a disaster without Tomlinson.

Or perhaps Tony Romo. And as a Cowboys fan, I disagree with him needing a change of scenery. Despite the bad press, he has not been the reason the Cowboys have been a failure for several years running.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Romo is virtually untouchable and is a franchise QB in his prime. Dallas would be nuts to get rid of him.

Two of Rivers' three best seasons were with an ineffective Thomlinson and without LT altogether. Rivers has been an abomination, but he's only two seasons removed from an MVP-caliber season. Maybe hiring Norv as an OCOORD and bringing in Rivers might work. And Woody loves star QB's.

Rivers QB rating since LT left:

Sanchez's four seasons as a Jet:

I agree with Alex Smith. He's perfect for the offense (or lack thereof). His availability will be dependent on who starts the postseason for harbaugh and if they win a SB.

Closed Thread