HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

To Wpg: Chris Stewart & Alex Steen | To Stl: Evander Kane

Old
12-18-2012, 11:52 AM
CanuckCity

vCash: 500
I really dont see this as a fair value trade. Maybe im underestimating Steen's value but Kane just has too much potential and there are too many question marks at this point. Maybe if stewart has another 30 goal season, but at this point i see E Kane as potentially becoming the next Iginla and Stewart rounding out into a 20G/30A type player.

CanuckCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:56 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Kane could become the 40-50 goal scorer people project him to be. I just don't think he will. So if we are talking Kane as he is right now vs. Steen, I'm taking Steen. That isn't even the deal though, since they get Stewart as well. It depends on where you fall with Kane's potential. If you think he is going to be a 40-50 goal scorer, you say hell no to this deal. If you think he is going to be a 30-35 goal scorer, you have to consider it. I have no idea what Kane's value around the NHL is. He's a guy I would like to see traded just so we can see what real NHL GMs think.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

At one point Stewart was hailed as the next Iggy and he's taken a couple steps back since then. Whats to say the same thing doesn't happen to Kane? Not saying it will happen, but it's still a possibility. Kane has great potential, but after his poor stint in the KHL I don't know what to expect from him. Stewart is a bigger question mark, but Steen is a versatile player who can consistently pot 20 goals while playing a solid defensive game. I would rather not take this deal, but I see why Jets fans would hate it.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:10 PM
gdsmack267

Decent proposal but I think St. Louis would have to add a little more

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:10 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
You have got to be joking me.

Kane will at least become a 40g scorer, and is definitely the best player in this deal.
I could never ever see him scoring 40 on a regular basis (maybe once in his career) due to a lack of hockey sense and bad hands. Last year, I found he scored a lot of flukey goals from far out. I honestly don't see his goal totals being consistent from year to year.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:26 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
I could never ever see him scoring 40 on a regular basis (maybe once in his career) due to a lack of hockey sense and bad hands. Last year, I found he scored a lot of flukey goals from far out. I honestly don't see his goal totals being consistent from year to year.
Lack of hockey sense...I agree with. Bad hands? What are you smoking? And where can I get some? Granted he's not Datsyuk or anything, but to say he has "Bad" hands is very strong. He has pretty good hands.

I'm sure that some goals are flukey, but there is no way that he managed score enough "flukey" goals to truly make a difference in what his development looks like. If all of what you said was true and he was just lucky a lot of the time there is no way that Chevy would have offered him that fat contract.

Your also leaving out the abilities of his line mates. Burmi is a good player, and I truly hope that he gets it this season., but last season he wasn't producing at a top six level. Wellwood, while having great hockey sense, definitely benefitted from Kane's good year and a high shooting percentage. He really belongs on the third line. Thats where I would have him pencilled in.

I fully expect Kane to hover around 38-42g a season. He may have off years and stuff, but I highly doubt that he sinks very low. I think 30g is going to be his low end from now on.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:29 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Kane could become the 40-50 goal scorer people project him to be. I just don't think he will. So if we are talking Kane as he is right now vs. Steen, I'm taking Steen. That isn't even the deal though, since they get Stewart as well. It depends on where you fall with Kane's potential. If you think he is going to be a 40-50 goal scorer, you say hell no to this deal. If you think he is going to be a 30-35 goal scorer, you have to consider it. I have no idea what Kane's value around the NHL is. He's a guy I would like to see traded just so we can see what real NHL GMs think.
Alex steen has never even scored 50pts, let alone 30g...and you would take him over E. Kane?

Old
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
At one point Stewart was hailed as the next Iggy and he's taken a couple steps back since then. Whats to say the same thing doesn't happen to Kane? Not saying it will happen, but it's still a possibility. Kane has great potential, but after his poor stint in the KHL I don't know what to expect from him. Stewart is a bigger question mark, but Steen is a versatile player who can consistently pot 20 goals while playing a solid defensive game. I would rather not take this deal, but I see why Jets fans would hate it.
No denying his two way ability, but He has scored 20g twice in his career and he's 28. Thats hardly consistent.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
roach9

I actually think this is a very fair deal for both sides.

Steen (at least against the Canucks) is an absolute difference maker on the ice. Stewart has good potential.

Kane has higher potential yes, but the package of Steen & Stewart is very close to matching his value IMO.

Good proposal.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
No denying his two way ability, but He has scored 20g twice in his career and he's 28. Thats hardly consistent.
Watch him play. He's consistent. Also, he had 51 points in 2010-11. In 7 seasons, he's had under 40 points 3 times, one being his sophomore season (35), one being the year he was traded (28), and one being last year when he was hurt for half the season and still had 28 points in 43 games (53 pt pace). He's scored 20+ goals two of the last three years, the only exception again being last year when he scored 15 in 43 games, a 29 goal pace. He's improved every year he's been on the Blues. He's an assistant captain. His two way ability is phenomenal. He can play on all 4 lines, and he plays on our 3rd line.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
Can tackle this trade from so many angles, would like to see what you guys thought.
The value is most definitely fair but I think the Blues would have to pass. Steen is penciled in as the third line center, and we really don't have anybody else to play there that could be as effective as him.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Remember when Stewart was the next Iggy and was suppose to be a 40 goal scorer?

Losing Steen would create a huge hole at center for us, and Tarasenko could become that long-term goalscorer for us, so purely off of that the Blues wouldn't do it. We are already stacked on the wings with more prospects coming, in the end our need for Kane is not that big, especially when you factor in our budget and Kane's salary.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Watch him play. He's consistent. Also, he had 51 points in 2010-11. In 7 seasons, he's had under 40 points 3 times, one being his sophomore season (35), one being the year he was traded (28), and one being last year when he was hurt for half the season and still had 28 points in 43 games (53 pt pace). He's scored 20+ goals two of the last three years, the only exception again being last year when he scored 15 in 43 games, a 29 goal pace. He's improved every year he's been on the Blues. He's an assistant captain. His two way ability is phenomenal. He can play on all 4 lines, and he plays on our 3rd line.
Being on pace for...means very little to me. I know what it means, but an 82 game scedule is very long and there is no garuntee that his pace would have been maintained. In your post you have offered me very little evidence that would support a decision to move a player that has proven more offensively at 20, then Steen has at 28. what I'm seeing from Steen is a consistent 40-50pt. scorer(I must have misread his stat sheet). While I realize that stats are not everything, and that Steen brings a lot to the table that isn't reflected on his stat sheet, I don't see a reason to part with a kid that has potted 30g, with inferior line mates that hasn't even realized his full potential.

Do not get me wrong, I'd be interested in acquiring both Steen and Stewart...but it would not be at the cost of Evander Kane. I just don't think that this move is in the best interest of our franchise.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Remember when Stewart was the next Iggy and was suppose to be a 40 goal scorer?

Losing Steen would create a huge hole at center for us, and Tarasenko could become that long-term goalscorer for us, so purely off of that the Blues wouldn't do it. We are already stacked on the wings with more prospects coming, in the end our need for Kane is not that big, especially when you factor in our budget and Kane's salary.
I respect that you believe that this would be a bad move for your franchise, however, Stewart and Kane are not the same player. Kane did what Stewart did at the same age...except he did it in the NHL. Not the A. I think that shows that he has less of a chance of busting then Stewart did.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I respect that you believe that this would be a bad move for your franchise, however, Stewart and Kane are not the same player. Kane did what Stewart did at the same age...except he did it in the NHL. Not the A. I think that shows that he has less of a chance of busting then Stewart did.
I don't really care about those small differences, and I don't really care about comparing Kane and Stewart. I just think Kane needs to prove he can sustain what he did last season because there have been plenty of players in the past that never sustained early success. Stewart has had 2 big seasons, so I'd still rather take the risk with him rebounding and keep Steen in the process.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Stewart has a better G/Game for his career than Kane.

Steen is one of the best two-way forwards on a team filled with solid two-way forwards.

Kane is the best player in the deal going forward.

The difference in Kane's potential and Stewart's potential going forward is not Alex Steen. Probably closer to a second.

Pass from the Blues.

(And save your typing about Stewart scoring 15 to Kane's 30 last season by checking out the two season's before that.)
Age?

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:41 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I don't really care about those small differences, and I don't really care about comparing Kane and Stewart. I just think Kane needs to prove he can sustain what he did last season because there have been plenty of players in the past that never sustained early success. Stewart has had 2 big seasons, so I'd still rather take the risk with him rebounding and keep Steen in the process.
Fill your boots man.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:42 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Age?
Precisely.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:05 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
First off, it's very, very close, .302 to .295 goals per game by my math, hardly worth pointing out.

Secondly, Stewart played 2 years in the AHL, and had his first taste of the NHL at age 21. Kane was thrown into the fire in Atlanta at age 18.

Kane hasn't even played as a 21 year old yet, and has a 30 goal season, while Stewart does not. I get your point, but lets compare apples to apples here. Kane's potential is much greater than Stewarts. At 20, Stewart was putting up 25 goals in the AHL, while Kane potted 30 in the NHL.

So I'm not allowed to point out that Stewart has a better goals/games for his career because they are so similar, but you can point to Kane's 30 goal season while ignoring Stewart's two 29 goal campaigns?

Like I said, I don't disagree that Kane > Stewart. But again, the difference isn't Alex Steen.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:08 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Age?
Mine or theirs?

I guess you missed the part were I admitted that Kane is the better player. But Kane and Stewart aren't very far apart (similar peak, and career production so far), and that gap certainly isn't worth Alex Steen.

Just because Kane has done it at a younger age doesn't mean he will continue to progress at the same rate until he is Stewart's age.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:11 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Well said. The question boils down to "Is the difference in Kane's potential going foward to Stewart's potential going forward worth Alex Steen?"

Old
12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Well said. The question boils down to "Is the difference in Kane's potential going foward to Stewart's potential going forward worth Alex Steen?"
Not only that but I maintain Steen is the better player right now, so you take a downgrade from him to Kane and lose Stewart too. You're basically banking on Kane for sure becoming a 40+ goal scorer if you make this trade. It's the only way you could win this deal as the Blues.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Being on pace for...means very little to me. I know what it means, but an 82 game scedule is very long and there is no garuntee that his pace would have been maintained. In your post you have offered me very little evidence that would support a decision to move a player that has proven more offensively at 20, then Steen has at 28. what I'm seeing from Steen is a consistent 40-50pt. scorer(I must have misread his stat sheet). While I realize that stats are not everything, and that Steen brings a lot to the table that isn't reflected on his stat sheet, I don't see a reason to part with a kid that has potted 30g, with inferior line mates that hasn't even realized his full potential.

Do not get me wrong, I'd be interested in acquiring both Steen and Stewart...but it would not be at the cost of Evander Kane. I just don't think that this move is in the best interest of our franchise.
So pace means nothing, but your projections of Kane's production do?

Do you realize who Steen's linemates have been? Jay McClement and BJ Crombeen formed the McCrombsteen line until McClement was traded. Inferior linemates? Hah.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Without either Shattenkirk or Tarasenko, there's no temptation for Winnipeg to bite.

With either of those guys in the deal, it makes no sense for the Blues.

No deal, I believe. St. Louis' tradable assets just aren't enough to pull in Kane.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
So pace means nothing, but your projections of Kane's production do?

Do you realize who Steen's linemates have been? Jay McClement and BJ Crombeen formed the McCrombsteen line until McClement was traded. Inferior linemates? Hah.
I'm pretty sure that by pointing out that Kane has been playing with inferior linemates, he meant simply that Kane's linemates weren't that good.

If you look at the players that scored 30 goals last year, I doubt you'll find any player that scored 30 with as little help as Kane had.

Overall, I think alot of people are doubting that Kane will be much more than a 30 goal scorer in this league, which I find a bit curious. He didn't play that much PP last year (7th on the team, 4th among forwards), he played with pretty bad teammates, he missed 8 games, and he is VERY young. Despite this, he scored 30.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote