Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Stan Jonathan charged in hunting death

Old
12-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
I wonder how many inmates will have the balls to try and pick a fight with him if he gets time lol.

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
nonoffensiveusername

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Which is why I'm guessing there is more to the story than just what's printed...I don't know the gun laws in that area but in Mass (relatively strict on guns) you have to be 500 feet from any dwelling. The departed was well beyond that...Jonathan must have done something he wasn't supposed to do...like shoot into the sky or high or not at something that had thick earth behind it
A typical hunting round is not likely to be very lethal if falling at its natural terminal velocity. Generally the worst you'll see from that is a nasty concussion. And he was on a nature reserve. In a situation like that it's unlikely that residences are even within the traveling distance of a round, or are at the very least outside the bounds of lethality. You don't have to shoot into earth or trees if there is nothing out there for two miles. Just a freak accident of two hunters not knowing each other is there.

nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoffensiveusername View Post
A typical hunting round is not likely to be very lethal if falling at its natural terminal velocity. Generally the worst you'll see from that is a nasty concussion. And he was on a nature reserve. In a situation like that it's unlikely that residences are even within the traveling distance of a round, or are at the very least outside the bounds of lethality. You don't have to shoot into earth or trees if there is nothing out there for two miles. Just a freak accident of two hunters not knowing each other is there.
I think this case provides pretty compelling evidence that you should. You never know who's out there with you during hunting season, especially since bowhunters generally go full camo because they have to get closer (20-30 yards) to the deer.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:31 PM
nonoffensiveusername

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I think this case provides pretty compelling evidence that you should. You never know who's out there with you during hunting season, especially since bowhunters generally go full camo because they have to get closer (20-30 yards) to the deer.
You can't pick where the deer is standing. And it's not like this crap happens every day.

nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:19 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
I wonder how many inmates will have the balls to try and pick a fight with him if he gets time lol.
I know you're likely joking but even if Stan was in his prime, the place would be full of inmates who wouldn't be afraid to fight him and many of them would likely beat him. There's a lot nastier dudes in prison than there is in hockey.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:15 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I know you're likely joking but even if Stan was in his prime, the place would be full of inmates who wouldn't be afraid to fight him and many of them would likely beat him. There's a lot nastier dudes in prison than there is in hockey.
In his prime-unlikely. Now in mid fifties-very likely.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:44 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Tragic all around.. One of my fav Bruins.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:32 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
In his prime-unlikely. Now in mid fifties-very likely.
Are you seriously suggesting that prisoners would be afraid to fight a prime Stan Jonathan?

Other NHL goons weren't afraid to fight him but yeah I'm sure some of the toughest, meanest sob's in the world would be haha. Hockey players aren't the best fighters in the world. Sure he'd likely beat the tar out of some prisoners but there'd be lots that could beat the tar out of him as well.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoffensiveusername View Post
It takes a longer distance than the one mentioned for it to reach natural velocit though, no?

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that prisoners would be afraid to fight a prime Stan Jonathan?

Other NHL goons weren't afraid to fight him but yeah I'm sure some of the toughest, meanest sob's in the world would be haha. Hockey players aren't the best fighters in the world. Sure he'd likely beat the tar out of some prisoners but there'd be lots that could beat the tar out of him as well.
this reminds me of a time when me and some buddies were at The Harp before a B's game and Lyndon Byers was at the bar hoisting a few. One of my drunk buddies was trying to convince one of my drunker buddies that he could take LB and that he should just go over and sock him one because, and I quote, "They don't know how to fight on land. Totally different ballgame."

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Add me to the list of people who just don't get the culture of "I can take that famous guy, watch me". You have to be a real moron or in need of serious booze rehab or both.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:36 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
this reminds me of a time when me and some buddies were at The Harp before a B's game and Lyndon Byers was at the bar hoisting a few. One of my drunk buddies was trying to convince one of my drunker buddies that he could take LB and that he should just go over and sock him one because, and I quote, "They don't know how to fight on land. Totally different ballgame."
That's not really the same thing at all. Is your buddy a 6'4" 250lb violent criminal?

If he really said that, then your buddy is a moron.

You guys are pretty naive if you think a prime Stan Jonathan would be the toughest guy in a prison.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I grew up around some serious badasses (my best friend has been in Cedar Junction since 1981,(lost his testicles in a knife fight in the late 80s). My Uncle has been in Cedar junction since 1991. Many friends and neighbors have been through the system. Plenty of scum in there,plenty of bulked up sociopaths,plenty of sucker punch and weapons artists. Throw a prime,fit Jonathan or Nilan in the mix and most of these jailhouse tough guys wouldn't last long. As soon as they discover they're in trouble,they're in trouble,and Jonathan or Probert would be just warming up. Now if they ran into James Scott or Tony Ayala or Rubin Carter,well that's different.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
That's not really the same thing at all. Is your buddy a 6'4" 250lb violent criminal?

If he really said that, then your buddy is a moron.

You guys are pretty naive if you think a prime Stan Jonathan would be the toughest guy in a prison.
yes he did say that, and yes he is a moron. But one other thing he happens to be is a guy with a sense of humor because we all had a good laugh at the comical idea that buddy #3 (no matter how drunk) would go up to LB in a crowded bar and, completely unprovoked, sock him one and live to tell about it.

I'll chalk up your nonsensical post to lockout rage and simply move on.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
yes he did say that, and yes he is a moron. But one other thing he happens to be is a guy with a sense of humor because we all had a good laugh at the comical idea that buddy #3 (no matter how drunk) would go up to LB in a crowded bar and, completely unprovoked, sock him one and live to tell about it.

I think I been guilty of that lately, too!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I think I been guilty of that lately, too!
yeah i saw that. But remember, you get a complete pass (as well as a pat on the back) when the rage is directed at the NHL/NHLPA.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I grew up around some serious badasses (my best friend has been in Cedar Junction since 1981,(lost his testicles in a knife fight in the late 80s). My Uncle has been in Cedar junction since 1991. Many friends and neighbors have been through the system. Plenty of scum in there,plenty of bulked up sociopaths,plenty of sucker punch and weapons artists. Throw a prime,fit Jonathan or Nilan in the mix and most of these jailhouse tough guys wouldn't last long. As soon as they discover they're in trouble,they're in trouble,and Jonathan or Probert would be just warming up. Now if they ran into James Scott or Tony Ayala or Rubin Carter,well that's different.
I'm sure he could beat down a lot of prisoners, I've already said that. And yeah the more I think about the more I think he would beat most in a fair fight in an open space but I'm guessing not many fights in prison are fair. Stan's such a small guy that if a musclehead got him down, he'd be in a lot of trouble. Are there not a lot of prisoners who train boxing while locked up?
Quote:

Well, you never said anything about him laughing about it.

Nonsensical? Okay, keep on believing that your favourite hockey player is the toughest guy in the world.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Neely08

Quote:
I'm sure he could beat down a lot of prisoners, I've already said that. And yeah the more I think about the more I think he would beat most in a fair fight in an open space but I'm guessing not many fights in prison are fair. Stan's such a small guy that if a musclehead got him down, he'd be in a lot of trouble. Are there not a lot of prisoners who train boxing while locked up?

Well, you never said anything about him laughing about it.

Nonsensical? Okay, keep on believing that your favourite hockey player is the toughest guy in the world.
Bubbles here did time. Note what he says a/b taking on Domi in a bar, eh.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote