HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

To Wpg: Chris Stewart & Alex Steen | To Stl: Evander Kane

Old
12-18-2012, 02:37 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Blues say hell no to this. Stewart could outscore Kane by himself if he ever gets his head out of his ass, and then adding in Steen, a guy who can play wing on any line or center the 3rd line and is a great two-way player? Haha no thanks. I like Kane but no way the Blues do this. They wouldn't be a better team at all.

Also this thread is already laughable. Kane a possible 50 goal scorer/the next Iginla? Give me a break. I like the guy but holy overrated batman....

The Blues have no need to trade assets for Kane whatsoever. Getting a winger is not a need.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
My issue with this trade is the Blues would be trading Stewart for a younger, cheaper version. While true that Kane seems to have a better motor than Stewart they still play a very similar game and last year proved that Stewart has to modify his game to fit in with the current style of play (read: boring...according to a sizable percentage of fans on this site) the Blues are employing. The rushing style of Kane I would imagine would have the same limitations.

Frankly, while no-one can doubt the caliber player that Kane appears he could be the Blues would be:
1. Not necessarily getting a player who would improve their current team (done building for the future at this juncture)
2. Getting rid of a player they currently have slated for a third line center (with no real viable replacement)
3. Selling low on both Stewart (poor season) and Steen (out for much of last year) while buying relatively high on the Kane.

Value wise it makes sense, but does not really address the Blues needs and I can see why many Jets fans would be less than in favor of this as well.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Bluesnatic27

The Blues need a centerman, not another winger. Kane is the best forward in this deal based on age and potential, but with Tarasenko and Jaskin coming up, the idea of a goal scoring power guy just isn't that enticing to me personally.

Also, I think Winnipeg would really like Steen in their line-up, more so then Stewart. He could be a great second line two-way center with a great leadership personality. I think he is definitely a guy that people shouldn't disregard here.

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:11 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
So pace means nothing, but your projections of Kane's production do?

Do you realize who Steen's linemates have been? Jay McClement and BJ Crombeen formed the McCrombsteen line until McClement was traded. Inferior linemates? Hah.
You misunderstand me.

My projections about Kane could very well be incorrect, but I'm more willing to take chance on him developing into the star LW that I think he is, then trade him. There's a higher chance that Kane will become what I project him to be given the evidence at hand the stern scoring 29g, which is more then he ever has in his career, at 28.

Kane scored 30g at 20, with very little pp time, and with very little help in terms of line mates. He also missed 8g. There is a very high chance that he will become a great LW.

If you think Alex Steen is the better player, that's your preogative. I however think Kane's offensive upside is vey high. He 's also quite physical and with some good coaching he may turn into a very good two way fwd.

And I'm willing to take a chance on that.

You don't want to trade your guys for ours and we don't want to trade our guy for yours. It's cool. Either it's been fun discussing this

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
The Blues need a centerman, not another winger. Kane is the best forward in this deal based on age and potential, but with Tarasenko and Jaskin coming up, the idea of a goal scoring power guy just isn't that enticing to me personally.

Also, I think Winnipeg would really like Steen in their line-up, more so then Stewart. He could be a great second line two-way center with a great leadership personality. I think he is definitely a guy that people shouldn't disregard here.
I'd be more then happy to work out a deal for Steen, because I do believe he is valuable...just not for Kane.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'd be more then happy to work out a deal for Steen, because I do believe he is valuable...just not for Kane.
The thing with Steen though, is that unless it was a huge overpayment, there just won't seem to be enough to get Steen away from us. His skill set and personality matches our team perfectly. It's kind a like they way you feel about Kane, which I find completely understandable, in the sense that we just don't want to give him up unless we are the clear winners in the deal.

But you are very correct, Steen does not equal Kane in any sense, I just felt like people think the deal is just a Stewart for Kane deal, which I don't agree with because I think Steen is more valuable.

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Huffer

Another angle to consider is that this deal doesn't really fit in with where each team is at in regards to building vs. contending timeline.

I would think that Stewart and Steen fit in the Blues current plans better as the Blues are legitimate cup contenders now, and that Kane fits into the Jets plans better where the org is hoping to build a team to be a contender in a few years.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
The thing with Steen though, is that unless it was a huge overpayment, there just won't seem to be enough to get Steen away from us. His skill set and personality matches our team perfectly. It's kind a like they way you feel about Kane, which I find completely understandable, in the sense that we just don't want to give him up unless we are the clear winners in the deal.

But you are very correct, Steen does not equal Kane in any sense, I just felt like people think the deal is just a Stewart for Kane deal, which I don't agree with because I think Steen is more valuable.
Absolutely. Most Jets fans feel the same way about Andrew Ladd. I would have a harder time trading him then Kane.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Another angle to consider is that this deal doesn't really fit in with where each team is at in regards to building vs. contending timeline.

I would think that Stewart and Steen fit in the Blues current plans better as the Blues are legitimate cup contenders now, and that Kane fits into the Jets plans better where the org is hoping to build a team to be a contender in a few years.
Absolutely agree Huff.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Not a bad trade at all, just dont really see StL doing it.
Steen's value to that team is undervalued

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
km204

Replace Steen with Oshie and I'd definitely do that from a Winnipeg perspective. Maybe toss in something else from Winnipeg's side.

km204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

I like Evander Kane as a player.

There's no way I'm making this trade as a Blues fan. The value is solid but the difference between Kane and Stewart is definitely not Alex Steen. I think he's being undervalued in here.

If Chris Stewart bounces back, he is almost as good as Kane and we still have Steen.

In the very limited amount of time I saw the Jets (the one game against the Blues) the player I was most impressed with was Blake Wheeler. Wouldn't mind at all having that guy.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Mike Liut

If I am packaging Stewart and Steen, I would add another piece and trade for a big, physical shutdown LHD to pair with Petro. That's all the Blues lack. But does that create more holes than it's filling? Possible.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by km204 View Post
Replace Steen with Oshie and I'd definitely do that from a Winnipeg perspective. Maybe toss in something else from Winnipeg's side.
And then the Blues would laugh and hang up.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:29 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by km204 View Post
Alright...lets not go crazy here...

Old
12-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

What about a deal around Bryan Little. The Blues need center depth and with Little we would be solid down the middle. What would Jets fans want in return. We can't really move anything from our defense so ideally we would be trading a winger.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:11 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
What about a deal around Bryan Little. The Blues need center depth and with Little we would be solid down the middle. What would Jets fans want in return. We can't really move anything from our defense so ideally we would be trading a winger.
what do you have on the right side?

Old
12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
what do you have on the right side?
Stewart?

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siludin View Post
Can tackle this trade from so many angles, would like to see what you guys thought.
Counter: Bogosian and Hainsey for Pietrangelo.

In other words: Not a chance in Hades. You are giving 2 guys whose individual values are far far below Kane's.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Stewart?
yea...no. maybe when scheifele sticks with the big club. Can't really afford to trade little unless its a clear upgrade on the RW.

Old
12-18-2012, 06:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
yea...no. maybe when scheifele sticks with the big club. Can't really afford to trade little unless its a clear upgrade on the RW.
So no interest in right wing prospects either?

Old
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Counter: Bogosian and Hainsey for Pietrangelo.

In other words: Not a chance in Hades. You are giving 2 guys whose individual values are far far below Kane's.
Except Kane is nowhere near Pietrangelo, and Stewart has had multiple big seasons in the past, so it's not a very good comparison.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:12 PM
broc

Jets value Kane like the Oil value Taylor Hall... so this deal ain't happenin

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
underslept

As stated, Stewart + is a good starting point for Kane, but the "+" is definitely nowhere near Steen.

I don't believe the Blues would be interested in trading Steen unless it was part of a package for a #1/2 LHD or a #1 center. He can play any line and make his linemates better. He's probably one of the best all around players in the league.

At this point, I'd rather keep Stewart then trade him for Kane. I have more faith that Stewart will be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer than I do in Kane. Hitchcock has been reporting Stewart is in the best shape of his career and despite all of HFBoards seeing him slump for one year and assuming the Blues are going to trade him for next to nothing, I'm confident he's going to rebound offensively and continue to strengthen his defensive game.

Kane is certainly a player I'd love to have, but he doesn't fit a need worth moving roster players for so I'd pass for the time being.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 07:23 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I dont think the jets do this

I am sure I read/heard some where that steen doesnt want to play here.

Could be mistaken though

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote