HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Finally for the love of god!

12/18/2012 Steven Delisle (D) CT ADD Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)
What a bust that trade turned out to be.

^Sarcasm.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Osminator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
What a bust that trade turned out to be.

^Sarcasm.
Curious to see which stiff he's going to replace on D... Klassen/Vernace are prime candidates.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
colman

Quote:
Finally for the love of god! Lets see how he does in the AHL!

12/18/2012 Steven Delisle (D) CT ADD Reassigned by NY Rangers (NHL) to Greenville (ECHL)
To bad they didnt call up Marcou with him he is plus 19 also with 13 pts

Old
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Kids play on ****** teams in the junior leagues and losing doesn't derail their careers. Stop being so overdramatic. Losing in the AHL will not hurt these kids at all and the ice time will help.

I would like to get a solid AHL scorer, though, so the kids could play WITH him instead of playing with guys with stone hands. A scorer or two won't make this team into a great AHL team, but it will give the kids someone with skill to play with. If we can ditch some dead wood like Tessier, etc. and replace them with a skilled player (as long as he isn't taking time away from the kids), then it's a great move.

Adding to the defense would be more important. We can use another Gilroy, a two-way guy like Redden, a punisher like Purinton. We'd have to punishers once McIlrath comes back, we'd have two puck-moving QBs, and having a two-way veteran would be a steading presence on the blue line.

I think this would be much more important than getting a scorer. The defense would boost the offense by moving the puck and also by allowing forwards to take chances knowing they have decent guys behind them.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
the vets that this team has brought in (aside from Newbury and Gilroy) have been underwhelming.

What are you talking about? Newbury is having a great season and Gilroy is doing what he's supposed. Gilroy is an NHLer. Before the lockout, he played a grand total of 5 games in the AHL, and that was in his rookie season. His defense may not be great, but he's a very good offensive defenseman at the AHL level.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by colman View Post
To bad they didnt call up Marcou with him he is plus 19 also with 13 pts

A guy who's 150 pounds cannot play in the AHL. The league is too good for him. He'd have to be ridiculously fast and quick not to get killed in the AHL. He gets away with it in the ECHL because hardly anyone can skate and if they can, they are usually out of position.

A decent skater with good size who knows how to stay in the right position will be at least in the AHL. That's why the ECHL is full of either big guys who can't move or small guys whose skating would be only average for the NHL. Marcou can survive in this environment, but he can't go into a league where you have Big Puns who can skate decently (e.g., McIlrath).

Old
12-18-2012, 05:06 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
What are you talking about? Newbury is having a great season and Gilroy is doing what he's supposed. Gilroy is an NHLer. Before the lockout, he played a grand total of 5 games in the AHL, and that was in his rookie season. His defense may not be great, but he's a very good offensive defenseman at the AHL level.
Hence the word "aside"

Old
12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
colman

Quote:
A guy who's 150 pounds cannot play in the AHL. The league is too good for him. He'd have to be ridiculously fast and quick not to get killed in the AHL. He gets away with it in the ECHL because hardly anyone can skate and if they can, they are usually out of position.

A decent skater with good size who knows how to stay in the right position will be at least in the AHL. That's why the ECHL is full of either big guys who can't move or small guys whose skating would be only average for the NHL. Marcou can survive in this environment, but he can't go into a league where you have Big Puns who can skate decently (e.g., McIlrath).
Who weighs 150lbs?

Old
12-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Who weighs 150lbs?
Mike Marcou of the Greenville Road Warriors.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
colman

Quote:
Mike Marcou of the Greenville Road Warriors.
According to ECHL and Greenville web sites Mike Marcou 5 11 180 lbs .Check your info

Old
12-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
According to ECHL and Greenville web sites Mike Marcou 5 11 180 lbs .Check your info

According to other sites, he's 158 pounds, and he looks closer to that weight than to 180 pounds. Does his ECHL picture look like he's 180 pounds?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Hence the word "aside"
lol, beat me to it....i was like...why is he going on this rant?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
surprised u haven't been hired to coach an AHL or NHL team yet with all ur wisdom. Wait, i'm being overdramatic. Wait, maybe I'm just voicing my opinion! Whoa!
Voicing your opinion and being overdramatic are not mutually exclusive. You complain about a young team in a developmental league not winning games when it matters not whether they win or lose. That, to me, is being overdramatic.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
colman

Quote:
According to other sites, he's 158 pounds, and he looks closer to that weight than to 180 pounds. Does his ECHL picture look like he's 180 pounds?

What ever a lot of sites do not update the heights and weights and they are taken from there junior days . I would think the most recent would be accurate.Any way he is leading league in plus minus and good player let the weight thing go and let him play .Looks like he is doing well and the ECHL this year and due to lock out is a better league .So let him play and see what happens plus he is from Long Island

Old
12-18-2012, 09:46 PM
ck20

Quote:
The key words here are "barring injuries" because that's exactly when they will play. Do you really think there would be no injuries? The lower number of man-games the Rangers lost in our lifetime is 99 during the 1993-94 season. That still means that the team averaged more than one injury per game.

But the injuries were not one each game. Many games there were no injuries, but there is always that mid-season point when you are missing 3-4 players. That's when guys like Haley, Kolarik, Newbury, Gilroy step in.

He was always known as a defensive liability. But at the AHL level, he's a good player. He's an offensive defenseman and at this level, he does his job properly.

I'll bet you anything that he'll play more games in the NHL than in the ECHL this year. To suggest that he should be sent down to the ECHL is ridiculous.
I think there are a handful of people that are going to be considered for a call-up before Haley/Kolarik (Newbury, Borque, Segal, Kreider depending on where the brass want him) unless we suffer a real rash of injuries.

I never said Gilroy was going to be sent down to the ECHL, but he sure as hell won't see any more time in the NHL with the Rangers. His -10 has solidified the top (bottom?) spot in the +/- category and his 6 goals don't outweigh that for me. If they're going to be a defenseman, I'd like them to play defense at an above average level, not have it be a passing thought for them because they're labeled as an "offensive defenseman". He wouldn't be able to survive under Torts and would be an even worse defensive liability than Bickel. I want that nowhere near my team, injuries or not. We don't need our 6th defenseman to be an offensive star, we need them to not suck and Gilroy does not fit that description at an NHL level. Like you said, he can (sometimes) do things at his current level in the AHL, but even there he's a liability and it would just be even more exposed in the NHL. He could be Bickel's bench buddy during overtime games or something.

Last edited by ck20: 12-18-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
I think there are a handful of people that are going to be considered for a call-up before Haley/Kolarik (Newbury, Borque, Segal, Kreider depending on where the brass want him) unless we suffer a real rash of injuries.

I never said Gilroy was going to be sent down to the ECHL, but he sure as hell won't see any more time in the NHL with the Rangers. His -10 has solidified the top (bottom?) spot in the +/- category and his 6 goals don't outweigh that for me. If they're going to be a defenseman, I'd like them to play defense at an above average level, not have it be a passing thought for them because they're labeled as an "offensive defenseman". He wouldn't be able to survive under Torts and would be an even worse defensive liability than Bickel. I want that nowhere near my team, injuries or not. We don't need our 6th defenseman to be an offensive star, we need them to not suck and Gilroy does not fit that description at an NHL level. Like you said, he can (sometimes) do things at his current level in the AHL, but even there he's a liability and it would just be even more exposed in the NHL. He could be Bickel's bench buddy during overtime games or something.
Really? Gilroy wouldn't be able to survive under the coach he's played the majority of his NHL career for? The same man who recuited him, played him and never stopped working with him? The same person who advocated re-signing him?

Old
12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Osminator

Defense might improve when McIlrath finally plays and Delisle replaces some stiff... thats 2 out of 6 guys that were replaced... Also, maybe when Niemi does come back (any update on him btw?), under the guidance of Beuke, can turn in a solid performance... really a make or break season for him too.

Regarding playing prospects... other than McIlrath, name me one LEGIT prospect on D in Hartford? 0. Niemi may be the only one with the remotest of chances, and other than Gilroy, the remaining Dmen are ECHL/UHL/SPHL/Europe bound, if not even ending their careers.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:30 AM
GUYMAN

Whale Games on TV

If we end up with no NHL do you think MSG Network will televise alot of CT Whale games?

Old
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUYMAN View Post
If we end up with no NHL do you think MSG Network will televise alot of CT Whale games?
no...

Old
12-19-2012, 09:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Does MSG even own the rights to show Whale games?

Old
12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Does MSG even own the rights to show Whale games?
Good point. Doubt it.

It would cost money to acquire the rights, it would cost money to produce - in a nutshell, it ain't worth it.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
They did last lockout, but I think the management agreement between the Rangers and Whale has changed since then so the TV rights may not be available.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
3rdlineglory
Subban for Richards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Really? Gilroy wouldn't be able to survive under the coach he's played the majority of his NHL career for? The same man who recuited him, played him and never stopped working with him? The same person who advocated re-signing him?
Seriously, people need to stop thinking Torts is biased against skill players. He likes the players that will give the team the best chance to win.

Closed Thread