Notices

2012 Prospect Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Since I've been driving the Zucker love fest from the start, I'm not really surprised where his game is at right now.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
No Heatley-Setoguchi! Terrible!

Parise-Koivu-Heatley - It would be dynamic every night, and they actually compliment each other well (on paper).

Coyle-Granlund-Zucker - Looks good.

Larsson-Brodziak-Setoguchi - Seto and Zucker can be swapped. Depending on who's playing better.
I agree! I wonder though if coyle-granlund-zuck line could suffer due to lack of NHL experience?? either that line of the rookies or
parise-koivu-coyle
zucker-granlund-heatley

I think either way you do it, it may work. Just no seto-heater-koivu, they didnt seem to have any chemistry

(I have a strong love for almost our whole crop of prospects. I dunno if I will be able to get a jersey, b/c I wouldnt know who to get)

Last edited by keppel146: 12-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 11:28 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
I haven't found a thing disappointing with Coyle. He is playing a great two way game and has shown great vision and a scoring touch. For a guy who went from playing east coast, to college, to the Q, to the AHL all in a pretty short period of time I think the guy is doing great. This kid will be a golden 2nd liner. Possibly 1st liner if he somehow clicks with Koivu and Parise. He's a truck too. At weigh in over camp he was over 220 slightly, though you can bet he has lost almost ten lbs.
Seeing him live for one-game isn't a large sample size, but his play was consistent with his mediocre stat line. He was clearly the 3rd wheel on that top line, and that's not what I'm expecting from him. I was disappointed with his speed, agility, and overall competitiveness. He really did nothing for much of the game while Zucker and Granlund created offense.

In was really high on Coyle prior to this year, but he's slipping down my rankings.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Seeing him live for one-game isn't a large sample size, but his play was consistent with his mediocre stat line. He was clearly the 3rd wheel on that top line, and that's not what I'm expecting from him. I was disappointed with his speed, agility, and overall competitiveness. He really did nothing for much of the game while Zucker and Granlund created offense.

In was really high on Coyle prior to this year, but he's slipping down my rankings.
Well that's what he's supposed to be in that line, the silent workhorse who opens up space for Zucker and Granlund but who can also pass and even finish.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

With the exception of assisting on 2 of the 3 goals scored, right? Two great passes.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Since I've been driving the Zucker love fest from the start, I'm not really surprised where his game is at right now.
TP's predictions are underrated:

Loved Zucker from the beginning.
Hated Ponder from the beginning.
Wanted Trouba over Dumba.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:20 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
I agree! I wonder though if coyle-granlund-zuck line could suffer due to lack of NHL experience?? either that line of the rookies or
parise-koivu-coyle
zucker-granlund-heatley

I think either way you do it, it may work. Just no seto-heater-koivu, they didnt seem to have any chemistry

(I have a strong love for almost our whole crop of prospects. I dunno if I will be able to get a jersey, b/c I wouldnt know who to get)
All rookie lines generally suck defensively and go cold for long stretches.

But they are also exciting.

I've been jealous of other team's rookie lines for a long time; it would be nice to have one for the Wild.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Exceeding Expections
Brodin (small sample size, but whatever)
Zucker
Haula
Gustafsson

Meeting Expectations
Granlund
Larsson
Coyle
Hackett
Lucia
Graovac

Starting to Have Concerns About
Dumba
Phillips

Disappointments
Bulmer
I would change Granlund to disappointments. His season so far has been underwhelming. Outside the top 100 in AHL scoring and he has gone almost pointless for six games now. If this pace continues, there might be a little bust potential in him after all.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
I would change Granlund to disappointments. His season so far has been underwhelming. Outside the top 100 in AHL scoring and he has gone almost pointless for six games now. If this pace continues, there might be a little bust potential in him after all.
He missed 12 games; of course he's outside the top 100. He's at a point-per-game, which is right around where I expected him to be.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
He missed 12 games; of course he's outside the top 100. He's at a point-per-game, which is right around where I expected him to be.
Friendly advice: You can disregard that guy. He's a known troll and a Granlund-hater.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:

I want the stuff your smoking

Old
12-19-2012, 11:46 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I have also been a "Zuke" lover all along. Thats why i voted for him on the poll after Granlund untill he ended up way to low at #7?

Old
12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
I want the stuff your smoking
Friendly advice: You're.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
With the exception of assisting on 2 of the 3 goals scored, right? Two great passes.
Pretty much. The passes themselves were very good. But he was really just a pivot point on both plays. The work was done by his teammates.

He just didn't leach off the appearance of high skill Sunday. That's what surprised me the most.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Pretty much. The passes themselves were very good. But he was really just a pivot point on both plays. The work was done by his teammates.

He just didn't leach off the appearance of high skill Sunday. That's what surprised me the most.
Going to have to disagree on that. The first goal might have been carried up the ice by Zucker and finished by Granlund, but it was Coyle's vision that made it possible. That pass made it through 2 guys, right to Granlund's stick, all he had to do was bury it. It was a pass that I would've expected Granlund to make, not Coyle.

The second one, again, brought into the zone by Connolly, but it was Coyle that found Zucker streaking in on the back side. Not a terribly difficult play to make, but it had to be put in the right spot.

All in all, I can't really opine on the rest of the game, as I did not see it and you did, but I just don't think that line could do what it did (accounting for 2 goals, Zucker with 13 shots) without Coyle making an impact, even if it was a subtle one for much of it.

I think it's been said for a while, but Coyle isn't the type of player that will WOW you with raw skill like Granlund and Zucker might. At least that much was evident in the games I saw when he was at BU. It's his play along the boards, around the net, and in all 3 zones that will get him to the show; not an end-to-end rush, dangling through 3 guys in the process.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Friendly advice: You can disregard that guy. He's a known troll and a Granlund-hater.
Wait what? I'm not a Granlund-hater, I just love the guy so much that I have high hopes for him in the AHL also. And being less than a point per game isn't what I'm hoping for him, and it seems he is slipping under it right now. In the last six games at least he has been underwhelming (not impressive) to me.

I'm the one who puts his bets on Granlund.

About being a known troll. Well I don't know about that. Luckily you know better to give troll-free "friendly advice" around here.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:24 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Wait what? I'm not a Granlund-hater, I just love the guy so much that I have high hopes for him in the AHL also. And being less than a point per game isn't what I'm hoping for him, and it seems he is slipping under it right now. In the last six games at least he has been underwhelming (not impressive) to me.

About being a known troll. Well I don't know about that. Luckily you know better to give troll-free "friendly advice" around here.
14gp 6g 8 a for 14 pts is exactly a point per game, so he isn't below point per game.

also he just came back after missing a month or so, its going to take some time for him to get his timing and groove back, this was an ankle sprain, its going to affect him.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:

Friendly advice: Don't get there. Just... Don't. Besides, the Finnish phrase "onneksi (sinä) tiedät paremmin/et tee näin" doesn't translate to English properly. Just a heads up.

Having such high expectations that PPG in AHL is not satisfying? That's not being a fan. That's being unrealistic.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:41 AM
behemolari

Quote:

Last edited by behemolari: 12-20-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old
12-20-2012, 07:42 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I kinda get what Henkine is trying to say. Granlund isn't playing at the level we're used to see him play. Still, a PPG when he's not at his best, is pretty good. He's statswise in a good condition but I'm hoping he'll learn to be more consistent and solid in NA too.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
I kinda get what Henkine is trying to say. Granlund isn't playing at the level we're used to see him play. Still, a PPG when he's not at his best, is pretty good. He's statswise in a good condition but I'm hoping he'll learn to be more consistent and solid in NA too.
I have to agree. MG can do better than ppg in ahl. Adjustment period guys. It might take a year.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Yeah, but everyone knows he was recently injured. Coming here and making posts like that is nothing but trolling in my eyes.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

what was koivu's pace for points when he was in the AHL for the 04' lockout?

Old
12-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
what was koivu's pace for points when he was in the AHL for the 04' lockout?
20+28=48 in 67 games, ~0.72 PPG.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
20+28=48 in 67 games, ~0.72 PPG.
Not to mention Koivu was 22 when that happened.

Closed Thread