HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2012, 07:28 PM
  #801
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

#2: Trade: Why draft and develop something of an unknown with the idea that you are eventually going to "flip" it for something of equal or greater value? Does this ever really work reliably on any item or good without huge risks? IE housing market, stocks, gold, etc? If you value something, produce it yourself. You eliminate many variables (that you can't control) out of the development process. Who knows if you can find a trade partner with valuable assets that wants yours?

Aside from Neal, Kunitz/Tangradi was not all that great of a return for Whitney (assuming RW can ever stay healthy). I wouldn't say we fleeced them by any stretch. I'd also like to see more than one miracle year out of Neal too before judging that trade.
I think the role Kunitz has played with the team since coming over added more than Whitney's presence would've in that time, especially with Gonchar and Letang on the roster. And you can say it was a "throw-in" but Niskanen was quite good last season -- he should be considered part of the return for Gogo.

Anyways...... this is more general, but since Shero has taken over, the Pens have drafted 21 forwards and 18 defensemen, with 3 first rounders being forwards and 4 being defensemen -- both those numbers will skew more towards forwards after the Pens draft a forward in the first round and go F-heavy in the 2013 draft. Hardly the D-hoarding craziness that seems to propagate around here.

Also, the whole "commodity-flip" philosophy is only speculation. I believe the Pens draft whatever player they think will become the best asset in the future, whether that future is with the team or somewhere else. So it's been more recently defenseman. Let's see how things play out in the near future to determine if the system is actually broken, and the Pens are purposefully targeting D-men because of their inability to develop forwards. I don't think that's the case however.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
  #802
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey
 
Wes C Addle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Allentown, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I think the role Kunitz has played with the team since coming over added more than Whitney's presence would've in that time, especially with Gonchar and Letang on the roster. And you can say it was a "throw-in" but Niskanen was quite good last season -- he should be considered part of the return for Gogo.

Anyways...... this is more general, but since Shero has taken over, the Pens have drafted 21 forwards and 18 defensemen, with 3 first rounders being forwards and 4 being defensemen -- both those numbers will skew more towards forwards after the Pens draft a forward in the first round and go F-heavy in the 2013 draft. Hardly the D-hoarding craziness that seems to propagate around here.

Also, the whole "commodity-flip" philosophy is only speculation. I believe the Pens draft whatever player they think will become the best asset in the future, whether that future is with the team or somewhere else. So it's been more recently defenseman. Let's see how things play out in the near future to determine if the system is actually broken, and the Pens are purposefully targeting D-men because of their inability to develop forwards. I don't think that's the case however.
You must have a crystal ball to project them taking a forward in a draft that hasn't happened yet. As to the 2nd bolded statement, I tend to agree that they'll stick to their philosophy and draft BPA, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that player is a defenseman.

Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
  #803
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
I do actually -- it's pretty great! Though it only applies to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so..... pretty useless in general

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
  #804
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey
 
Wes C Addle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Allentown, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I do actually -- it's pretty great! Though it only applies to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so..... pretty useless in general
That's alright, I asked my magic 8 ball if we'd ever draft a forward again in the first round and I got this


Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
  #805
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
That's alright, I asked my magic 8 ball if we'd ever draft a forward again in the first round and I got this

I only trust crystal balls, this one knows what's up:


penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
  #806
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
I only trust crystal balls, this one knows what's up:


Umm, he's wearing an "A". That's so anachronistic.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:36 AM
  #807
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post
As far as begin regarded as a top talent before the draft, there are probably 50 players regarded as a top 10 talent at some point before the draft. Marcantuoni was regarded as potential 10 pick before last season and has become a complete failure
Umm, I know not everyone in the world excels at math when they learn it, but this is pretty rudimentary. Bob McKenzie's Top-10 equals 10 players. 10 players does not equal 50 players. I don't know in what mathematical reality 50 players can fit into 10 spots.

Then again, I think I get it now...


Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post
This what really gets me. People like you denying the facts:

1. The Pens need forwards, not defendemen.
2. DP didn't make the team Canada.
3. He is simply not doung thst great this season
4. Alternate prospects like Gregorenko are going much better.
5. No prospect ranking has him in the top 40. A new #8 (editorial note: virtually all rankings & mock drafts had him in the top 15 or 20 at the lowest)

I was going to say something like: I can't respond to someone who is either incredibly drunk or doesn't really speak English, but then others took care of it for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I can't find even one inaccuracy with this list. It's perfect.

defendemen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
2. Neither did Dumba, who was a higher pick and whom others here value higher than Pouliot. Guess he was a bad pick (Pouliot's also having a better regular season than he is as well).

3. That's simply not true, so I'll just disregard anything else you have to say on the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
yeah but he's a defendmen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It's not too late to re-register and start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post


Last edited by shureshot66: 12-18-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: qdp
jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:50 AM
  #808
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
Does it really matter what player we take in the 1st round? To me it's not about the ranking or the pedigree of the player, it's the type of player someone is. If they develop right, who cares if it's a 1st round forward or a 4th round forward, as long as we bring in forward prospects, we don't need first round picks to be wingers.

This year alone, Penguins picked Blueger in the 2nd round, Sundqvist in the 3rd round, Marcantuoni in the 4th round and Zlobin in the 6th round, do they not count as future forwards because they don't have the 1st round pick status on their resume? Penguins also picked Bennett and Kuhnhackl in 2010, I know they say Bennett is a really talented and I don't hear much about Kuhnhackl but I did hear Pens were high on him.

Shero also acquired a long term winger for this team in James Neal, and they haven't given up on Eric Tangradi yet (fans might have, organization hasn't).

Look at our defense. It got owned by the Flyers in more ways than one. Martin is going to be 32, Brooks Orpik is 32, Michalek was traded, Niskanen is young but how long will he be a Penguin. The Penguins can't just build their defense through free agency to replace these guys, they want to build their own defense with guys who they have developed in their own organizational style of play.

It is a FACT that puck moving defensemen are always in demand on both the trade and free agent market, if you don't believe me, look at what we got for Ryan Whitney and Alex Goligoski, look at how much money Paul Martin, James Wisniewski and Matt Carle get paid per year. Maybe, just maybe, Ray Shero has a plan. Obviously it's just speculation, but he could be drafting these defensemen because he thinks Kris Letang might price himself out of Pittsburgh, and maybe make a trade before he goes to UFA. Like I said, it's just my speculation, but if some team offers Letang $7M and we can't afford to match it, he's gone, and we should be glad Shero drafted those defensemen at that point.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:21 AM
  #809
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Does it really matter what player we take in the 1st round? To me it's not about the ranking or the pedigree of the player, it's the type of player someone is. If they develop right, who cares if it's a 1st round forward or a 4th round forward, as long as we bring in forward prospects, we don't need first round picks to be wingers.

This year alone, Penguins picked Blueger in the 2nd round, Sundqvist in the 3rd round, Marcantuoni in the 4th round and Zlobin in the 6th round, do they not count as future forwards because they don't have the 1st round pick status on their resume? Penguins also picked Bennett and Kuhnhackl in 2010, I know they say Bennett is a really talented and I don't hear much about Kuhnhackl but I did hear Pens were high on him.

Shero also acquired a long term winger for this team in James Neal, and they haven't given up on Eric Tangradi yet (fans might have, organization hasn't).

Look at our defense. It got owned by the Flyers in more ways than one. Martin is going to be 32, Brooks Orpik is 32, Michalek was traded, Niskanen is young but how long will he be a Penguin. The Penguins can't just build their defense through free agency to replace these guys, they want to build their own defense with guys who they have developed in their own organizational style of play.

It is a FACT that puck moving defensemen are always in demand on both the trade and free agent market, if you don't believe me, look at what we got for Ryan Whitney and Alex Goligoski, look at how much money Paul Martin, James Wisniewski and Matt Carle get paid per year. Maybe, just maybe, Ray Shero has a plan. Obviously it's just speculation, but he could be drafting these defensemen because he thinks Kris Letang might price himself out of Pittsburgh, and maybe make a trade before he goes to UFA. Like I said, it's just my speculation, but if some team offers Letang $7M and we can't afford to match it, he's gone, and we should be glad Shero drafted those defensemen at that point.
Another thing is that, when these defensive prospects come along, look how much money that free's up for proven scoring. Not just a kid that we have hopes about but an actual star that can come in and play with an elite center.

I'm the first one *****ing and moaning "Defense again?!?" but if theres a method to the madness it can pay off. The Pens are one winger away from being pretty dang elite. If they can go after Parise or bring in Corey Perry because of cap space Shero can go back to sitting on a cloud again.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:38 AM
  #810
penguins2946*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Does it really matter what player we take in the 1st round? To me it's not about the ranking or the pedigree of the player, it's the type of player someone is. If they develop right, who cares if it's a 1st round forward or a 4th round forward, as long as we bring in forward prospects, we don't need first round picks to be wingers.

This year alone, Penguins picked Blueger in the 2nd round, Sundqvist in the 3rd round, Marcantuoni in the 4th round and Zlobin in the 6th round, do they not count as future forwards because they don't have the 1st round pick status on their resume? Penguins also picked Bennett and Kuhnhackl in 2010, I know they say Bennett is a really talented and I don't hear much about Kuhnhackl but I did hear Pens were high on him.

Shero also acquired a long term winger for this team in James Neal, and they haven't given up on Eric Tangradi yet (fans might have, organization hasn't).

Look at our defense. It got owned by the Flyers in more ways than one. Martin is going to be 32, Brooks Orpik is 32, Michalek was traded, Niskanen is young but how long will he be a Penguin. The Penguins can't just build their defense through free agency to replace these guys, they want to build their own defense with guys who they have developed in their own organizational style of play.

It is a FACT that puck moving defensemen are always in demand on both the trade and free agent market, if you don't believe me, look at what we got for Ryan Whitney and Alex Goligoski, look at how much money Paul Martin, James Wisniewski and Matt Carle get paid per year. Maybe, just maybe, Ray Shero has a plan. Obviously it's just speculation, but he could be drafting these defensemen because he thinks Kris Letang might price himself out of Pittsburgh, and maybe make a trade before he goes to UFA. Like I said, it's just my speculation, but if some team offers Letang $7M and we can't afford to match it, he's gone, and we should be glad Shero drafted those defensemen at that point.
I suggested that Shero was doing that about a month ago. It wasn't warmly greeted. I don't see of any of our prospects that can get to Letang's level, at least not for a while. That would be an issue, because Letang hits FA next year, and really none of our top D prospects will be even close to ready to take his spot. I still think that he will re-sign for about $6.5 million or so, maybe $6 million.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:34 AM
  #811
Milliardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zürich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It's not too late to re-register and start fresh.
I lol'd

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:43 AM
  #812
Milliardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zürich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Does it really matter what player we take in the 1st round? To me it's not about the ranking or the pedigree of the player, it's the type of player someone is. If they develop right, who cares if it's a 1st round forward or a 4th round forward, as long as we bring in forward prospects, we don't need first round picks to be wingers.

This year alone, Penguins picked Blueger in the 2nd round, Sundqvist in the 3rd round, Marcantuoni in the 4th round and Zlobin in the 6th round, do they not count as future forwards because they don't have the 1st round pick status on their resume? Penguins also picked Bennett and Kuhnhackl in 2010, I know they say Bennett is a really talented and I don't hear much about Kuhnhackl but I did hear Pens were high on him.

Shero also acquired a long term winger for this team in James Neal, and they haven't given up on Eric Tangradi yet (fans might have, organization hasn't).

Look at our defense. It got owned by the Flyers in more ways than one. Martin is going to be 32, Brooks Orpik is 32, Michalek was traded, Niskanen is young but how long will he be a Penguin. The Penguins can't just build their defense through free agency to replace these guys, they want to build their own defense with guys who they have developed in their own organizational style of play.

It is a FACT that puck moving defensemen are always in demand on both the trade and free agent market, if you don't believe me, look at what we got for Ryan Whitney and Alex Goligoski, look at how much money Paul Martin, James Wisniewski and Matt Carle get paid per year. Maybe, just maybe, Ray Shero has a plan. Obviously it's just speculation, but he could be drafting these defensemen because he thinks Kris Letang might price himself out of Pittsburgh, and maybe make a trade before he goes to UFA. Like I said, it's just my speculation, but if some team offers Letang $7M and we can't afford to match it, he's gone, and we should be glad Shero drafted those defensemen at that point.
Letang will get whatever he wants here, he's staying. I don't know why people are doubting that.

And no, the Pens did not draft these defensmen (we drafted more forwards than dmen under Shero, but whatever) because of fear that Letang might leave, because the Pens believe in BPA and not in drafting for need.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
  #813
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
I suggested that Shero was doing that about a month ago. It wasn't warmly greeted. I don't see of any of our prospects that can get to Letang's level, at least not for a while. That would be an issue, because Letang hits FA next year, and really none of our top D prospects will be even close to ready to take his spot. I still think that he will re-sign for about $6.5 million or so, maybe $6 million.
Oh I know, I'm not saying that we have guys on Letang's level, but at the same time, nobody can guarantee Letang will stay on this team, especially to take less money than his agent thinks he could get. It's all speculation and opinions, but if Shero goes to Letang saying $6.5M, his agent can say "I think we can get $7.5M on the open market, Letang is a young, right handed, elite two way defenseman, pay up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Letang will get whatever he wants here, he's staying. I don't know why people are doubting that.

And no, the Pens did not draft these defensmen (we drafted more forwards than dmen under Shero, but whatever) because of fear that Letang might leave, because the Pens believe in BPA and not in drafting for need.
I agree, I've been saying the Pens draft BPA and not for need, Shero even said it at the draft that he likes to acquire assets at the draft, not team needs.

I'm not necessarily doubting Letang staying on the Penguins, I'm saying that the NHL is a business, and Letang is on a nice contract at $3.5M looking for a BIG raise. The salary cap is expected to decrease, and depending on how much it decreases will determine if we can afford Letang, because trading $5M Martin might still have the Pens over the cap limit if the cap is somewhere around $59M.

And you say Letang will get whatever he wants here, that's fine. If we can pay, keep him, but I know one thing. The Penguins cannot afford both Kris Letang and an elite winger to play with Crosby, so if we keep Letang, we can forget talking about Perry, Iginla, etc. and start talking about our winger prospects or average free agents.

Right now, I don't think Letang is leaving the team, but I don't think it's a guarantee that he's staying either. Too many questions have to be answered first. What will the salary cap be? How much money will he want?

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:16 AM
  #814
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,619
vCash: 500
if Letang leaves, it will be his decision to do so. He will be given every opportunity to stay here for a long time.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:59 AM
  #815
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
if Letang leaves, it will be his decision to do so. He will be given every opportunity to stay here for a long time.
I still think its going to be tough to keep him. I could see the Habs or Avs giving him Suter money. At that price tag he's hard to keep.

I'm actually hoping that part of the new CBA has a limit on years given to a player signed as a FA.

If you've been aquired by a team as a FA you can only get a 5 year deal.

If you're signing with a team that you have a history with you get an 8 year deal.

If you are signing with a team that has drafted you... you get 10 to 12.

Something like that keeps players in place a little more but itsn't totally hard ass against the PA.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:01 AM
  #816
Milliardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zürich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I still think its going to be tough to keep him. I could see the Habs or Avs giving him Suter money. At that price tag he's hard to keep.

I'm actually hoping that part of the new CBA has a limit on years given to a player signed as a FA.

If you've been aquired by a team as a FA you can only get a 5 year deal.

If you're signing with a team that you have a history with you get an 8 year deal.

If you are signing with a team that has drafted you... you get 10 to 12.

Something like that keeps players in place a little more but itsn't totally hard ass against the PA.
Well, that's pretty much what is being discussed these days.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:04 AM
  #817
Milliardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zürich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Oh I know, I'm not saying that we have guys on Letang's level, but at the same time, nobody can guarantee Letang will stay on this team, especially to take less money than his agent thinks he could get. It's all speculation and opinions, but if Shero goes to Letang saying $6.5M, his agent can say "I think we can get $7.5M on the open market, Letang is a young, right handed, elite two way defenseman, pay up".



I agree, I've been saying the Pens draft BPA and not for need, Shero even said it at the draft that he likes to acquire assets at the draft, not team needs.

I'm not necessarily doubting Letang staying on the Penguins, I'm saying that the NHL is a business, and Letang is on a nice contract at $3.5M looking for a BIG raise. The salary cap is expected to decrease, and depending on how much it decreases will determine if we can afford Letang, because trading $5M Martin might still have the Pens over the cap limit if the cap is somewhere around $59M.

And you say Letang will get whatever he wants here, that's fine. If we can pay, keep him, but I know one thing. The Penguins cannot afford both Kris Letang and an elite winger to play with Crosby, so if we keep Letang, we can forget talking about Perry, Iginla, etc. and start talking about our winger prospects or average free agents.

Right now, I don't think Letang is leaving the team, but I don't think it's a guarantee that he's staying either. Too many questions have to be answered first. What will the salary cap be? How much money will he want?
I don't think the cap will go down. It might go down a little bit from the projected 70, but not by much I don't think. And even if, that also means other teams have less money to spend, so it doesn't really matter. If Paul Martin is gone, we can replace him with a guy that costs 2M and that's almost Letangs rais right there. Plus we'd still have a lot of capspace. I'm not worried, like at all, that we'll have trouble signing Letang AND sign a good winger or two.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
  #818
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,343
vCash: 500
Thanks for the feedback on that last one, gents. I liked it too.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 07:27 PM
  #819
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I still think its going to be tough to keep him. I could see the Habs or Avs giving him Suter money. At that price tag he's hard to keep.

I'm actually hoping that part of the new CBA has a limit on years given to a player signed as a FA.

If you've been aquired by a team as a FA you can only get a 5 year deal.

If you're signing with a team that you have a history with you get an 8 year deal.

If you are signing with a team that has drafted you... you get 10 to 12.

Something like that keeps players in place a little more but itsn't totally hard ass against the PA.
Why shouldn't Letang get Suter money if it comes right down to it?

He's certainly proven he deserves that kind of money the past two years, and I'd hate to imagine our blueline without him.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  #820
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I still think its going to be tough to keep him. I could see the Habs or Avs giving him Suter money. At that price tag he's hard to keep.

I'm actually hoping that part of the new CBA has a limit on years given to a player signed as a FA.

If you've been aquired by a team as a FA you can only get a 5 year deal.

If you're signing with a team that you have a history with you get an 8 year deal.

If you are signing with a team that has drafted you... you get 10 to 12.

Something like that keeps players in place a little more but itsn't totally hard ass against the PA.
I think we'd give him that money and be happy we have some young guys able to fill in around him for relatively cheap.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:20 PM
  #821
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 17,282
vCash: 500
Will Suter money even be possible after this s#%*fest of a lockout? For multiple reasons.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:46 PM
  #822
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Will Suter money even be possible after this s#%*fest of a lockout? For multiple reasons.
I'd waive Orpik and Martin in a millisecond if the alternative was not re-signing Letang.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:00 AM
  #823
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I still think its going to be tough to keep him. I could see the Habs or Avs giving him Suter money. At that price tag he's hard to keep.

Well, first & foremost: the Pens WERE offering Suter "Suter" money -- big dollars, front-loaded contract, etc. They wanted him as a long-term partner for Letang (read WITH Letang) on the top pair.


So, it's clear by that evidence that the Pens (A) are willing to spend big dollars whenever they can; and (B) that they clearly want Letang as part of the fold, and can similarly offer him big dollars, as needed.


So even with a declining cap and limits on signing-bonuses or front loaded contracts, we should be in a great position to re-sign Letang, for a number of reasons: they were not successful in signing Suter (giving them even more $$ flexability to sign Letang); the Pens are one of the best organizations to play for (new arena, winning franchise, superstar players, etc.); the relationship he has with the other players here and the fans who love him, etc. Also, with his "concussion"/injury history, I think the Pens being able to lock him in to a contract extension one year before he hits UFA status is something Letang will probably want to capitalize on.


And remember: him going to MTL or any Canadian team would see his tax rates bump to over 50% compared to much less by signing with a US team. So if you think Letang is going to leave to follow the money, it probably won't be to Canada. Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but the Pens are certainly in a great position to retain him.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:19 AM
  #824
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,789
vCash: 500
I don't see re-signing Letang being that difficult. He's not a luxury, he's the clear #1 D-Man on the team and a priority. I think the Pens will gladly make him a rich man.

It could be made easier by the new CBA too if the owners get their way and have 7 year deals for homegrown talent and 5 year deals to outsiders. Pens may be able to give him close to market value $ wise with a couple more years than the other teams can offer.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:57 AM
  #825
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Who makes the final decisions DD? Lets stop complicating this.
The whole contentious point is that the Pens rated Pouliot much higher than scouting services and a cross section of actual NHL scouts did.

Saying "but he was higher on the Pens list" is absurd. Of course he was, because that's what people are questioning.

Quote:
I don't get how you can struggle with the fact that there are public rankings and internal rankings.

That's why DP went 8th, Lindholm jumped up over ten spots, Maatta fell a dozen spots, and FP and Grigs slipped out of the top ten.
All it takes is one team. If Grigorenko or Forsberg become a superstar and Lindholm develops well short of that, their scouting staffs should be taken to task too.

Quote:
Did they? No.
That's not the point. The circular logic being used here would justify the selection if they had. That's the point.

Quote:
There is zero evidence to suggest DP was a bad pick or is having a disappointing season. There is ample evidence he is doing exactly what we should expect from him.

Again, trying to make this more difficult than it should be, is kind of lame DD.
I've had a little trouble lately figuring out whether you're making veiled references to me or referring to other posters in your responses to my posts. Either way, I'll just clarify for posterity that I've never said Pouliot is a disappointment, and I only believe he's a bad pick in the sense that there were better options available. He's still a very good prospect.

What Pouliot's doing so far this season is nice, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a small, relatively one-dimensional offensive defenseman drafted in the latter half of the 1st round, playing on a powerhouse team.

Quote:
You don't recall arguing with me about the Pens inability to draft and develop fwds?
From what I recall, my stance was that the Pens had difficulty producing homegrown scoring line forwards because they didn't make drafting forwards a priority early in the draft. I don't see how any argument I'm making here contradicts that.

Quote:
Sure it did. The Pens philosophy straight from Shero and Heinbuck's mouth is to go BPA. They took DP. What does that tell you about their opinion of him?

The Pens did in fact get a gamebreaking talent with their pick. Just not the one YOU wanted.

Forest. Trees.
Re-read what I wrote. That passage had nothing to do with whether Pouliot was a gamebreaking talent or not.

Quote:
If your deal is to be a wishful thinker and dwell on an event that won't change, more power to you.

I like to focus on realistic things that affect current Pens prospects or guys who COULD be drafted by them. Not guys they passed over in the draft.
My "deal" is that the Pens scouting staff is not infallible. They went off the board with the most important pick this team will likely have for the rest of the Crosby/Malkin era, so if they're wrong, it should call into question how they evaluate and prioritize talent when determining their BPA.

That's a pretty worthwhile topic, IMHO.

Personally, I think their predilection for acquiring defensemen and stocking up on players from familiar programs might be symptomatic of a little tunnel vision.

Quote:
Again, context. You can question the pick, but to declare him a "bad pick" and a "disappointment" shows ignorance. Did you once see me ridicule the Maatta pick because my guys got passed over? I was far from happy about it at the time.
See above.

Quote:
The issues are people say stupid **** on here, because there is no accountability hiding behind your username.

I actually had a chance to go to the draft this year, but had to go to a wedding. So say I went and met Shero and DB after the draft.

I would have no problems, in a respectful way, asking DB why he isn't playing Tangradi more, picking his brain about what happened in the Flyers series, etc. I defended him on here when half the board wanted him fired, so why would I rub salt in his wounds, so to speak?

I would of in no way, shape or form, said to Shero that Maatta was a bad pick and he should of taken Aberg or Frk.

If you can't understand this, not sure what else I can say.
Forgetting for the moment that this has absolutely no bearing on the merit of the argument itself, if by some chance I had enough time to strike up an actual conversation with Shero, yeah, I'd like to ask him about why his staff chose Pouliot over more high profile players, particularly when the pipeline was already stocked.

The way you were framing it, I imagined a "gotcha journalism" type ambush.

Quote:
DD, you are too intelligent for me to keep explaining this to you...

Outside rankings are for entertainment purposes only. Internal rankings are all that matters, and as I explained earlier, that is why you saw a number of prospects taken way above or below their public rankings, including the two fwds you keep pining for.

And I'm positive, given the rumors and their farm, Buffalo takes DP.
To be honest, I'm not sure why rumours about one other team's draft order should hold more merit than the factual cross-section of actual NHL scouts, never mind how we've seen first hand that a team's pipeline strengths can have little to no effect on their draft preferences.

There's also the matter of IHWR's anecdote. I know you value his opinion on prospects, and in his experience, another group of NHL scouts was straight-up laughing at the pick back at their hotel. Food for thought.


Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 12-19-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.