Notices

Possible Trade Ideas v6

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Considering Yeo wanted to start him on the top pair, Spurgeon's not a guy you want walking away. Frankly, he's shown more than any other young defenseman.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I am not a Spurgiefan.

He isn't all that fast for a wee bit.
His backwards skating isn't all that smooth.
His hockey IQ is merely above average.

If I were the GM and some other team inquired about him, I'd ask for a high value return and negotiate from there.

(Sort of like starting at 43%...)

Old
12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You left out that his hands, vision, and positioning are all above average.

With Spurgeon, we always talk about what he is right now and project him down lower. With Scandella, we always talk about what he could be when he gets the game figured out and project him up higher.

They're pretty much the same age.

Spurgeon hit the NHL and stuck. Scandella hit the NHL and has had to go back to the AHL twice. Not to mention that Spurgeon has twice the production of Scandella.

It's just a bad idea to put Spurgeon as a 6/7 guy you could write off the team while penciling Scandella as a top four guy next year.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Keep in mind that Spurgeon is still developing. Besides, he compliments Suter just fine.

I have nothing against him being in our top pairing for a while. He's small, but he's an agile skater with good hands, vision, passing and excellent positioning. And despite his size, he's not afraid to go into the corners.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Canucks fan coming in peace.

I'm well aware that the Wild are division rivals and hoping to make the playoffs this season (if there is one ).
Anywho, I notice that you guys are looking for a 2nd pairing d-man, and I can't help but notice that my team needs a 3rd line center.
*puts flame suit on*

How would you guys feel about a trade based around Cullen + Stoner for Ballard + Raymond?

It looks like Cullen would be used as a winger next season, so Raymond, who needs a change of scenery (much like Ballard), would take his spot on the wing.

Prior to his arrival in Vancouver, Ballard was playing 22+ minutes per game in Florida and Phoenix. His style of play just doesn't work with the Canucks' system.
As we all know he's getting paid like a top 4 d-man, so it would be a gamble that he would start playing like one again with a different team.
It's also just a coincidence that Ballard is from Minnesota and Stoner is from BC.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would be okay with that trade, although I don't recall much of those two guys.

Cullen is an okay third line winger, very fast and has some skill but has no hockey IQ and plays on an island. Stoner is a good bottom four defenseman who plays physical and can shut down the other team but has terrible injury problems and no offensive upside.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Canucks fan coming in peace.

I'm well aware that the Wild are division rivals and hoping to make the playoffs this season (if there is one ).
Anywho, I notice that you guys are looking for a 2nd pairing d-man, and I can't help but notice that my team needs a 3rd line center.
*puts flame suit on*

How would you guys feel about a trade based around Cullen + Stoner for Ballard + Raymond?

It looks like Cullen would be used as a winger next season, so Raymond, who needs a change of scenery (much like Ballard), would take his spot on the wing.

Prior to his arrival in Vancouver, Ballard was playing 22+ minutes per game in Florida and Phoenix. His style of play just doesn't work with the Canucks' system.
As we all know he's getting paid like a top 4 d-man, so it would be a gamble that he would start playing like one again with a different team.
It's also just a coincidence that Ballard is from Minnesota and Stoner is from BC.
Interesting idea, but I don't necessarily like Ballard's injury issues the past two seasons; and at $4.2m for the next two, it seems like a bit of a risk, much like with the Volchenkov proposal earlier.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Interesting idea, but I don't necessarily like Ballard's injury issues the past two seasons; and at $4.2m for the next two, it seems like a bit of a risk, much like with the Volchenkov proposal earlier.
You don't have to worry about that, Vancouver has a curse on all its defensemen. There's a reason why we have to carry 8 NHL d-men on our roster at all times.
Once Ballard leaves, he will be a super durable player again.

Bieksa suffered the same freak injury twice in three seasons, causing him to miss a ton of games.
Hamhuis, having missed only 9 games in his 6 year career, missed almost 20 games in 2010-11 once he came to Vancouver.
And Sami Salo. He is made of glass. He's gone now, so he should never miss a game again.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
You don't have to worry about that, Vancouver has a curse on all its defensemen. There's a reason why we have to carry 8 NHL d-men on our roster at all times.
Once Ballard leaves, he will be a super durable player again.

Bieksa suffered the same freak injury twice in three seasons, causing him to miss a ton of games.
Hamhuis, having missed only 9 games in his 6 year career, missed almost 20 games in 2010-11 once he came to Vancouver.
And Sami Salo. He is made of glass. He's gone now, so he should never miss a game again.
Until he comes here, where we seem to have an injury curse on every position.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Ovechkid08

I never want to see Ballard on a MN team ever again, especially not at the cost of Cullen.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
I never want to see Ballard on a MN team ever again, especially not at the cost of Cullen.
Cullen is 36 and makes 3.5. On a real contender like NYR, he'd be third line and no PP or PK time.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Dee Oh Cee

...OK.

Cullen is projected (depending on Granlund) on being a 3rd line winger for us this season. Probably with little PP time. Good on the PK though.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

When he said 3rd line center I thought he was gonna ask for Brodz, to which I would've replied hell no. I like the idea of a Cullen for Raymond swap, a lot actually, but I've grown quite fond of Stoner and don't have any interest in Ballard, mainly because he's a LH d-man and we need to be improving the right side of our defense, not left. The Canucks have a surplus of LH d-men, even more so now with the Garrison signing so I totally understand the want to get rid of Ballard, especially with that 4.2 cap hit. I'd offer Cullen and a 3rd or 4th for Raymond, although a little more is probably needed, and that's not even mentioning Cully's partial NTC. Raymond would be a solid relacement for Bouchard, and would buy guys like Zucker and Coyle a little more time to develop.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
When he said 3rd line center I thought he was gonna ask for Brodz, to which I would've replied hell no. I like the idea of a Cullen for Raymond swap, a lot actually, but I've grown quite fond of Stoner and don't have any interest in Ballard, mainly because he's a LH d-man and we need to be improving the right side of our defense, not left. The Canucks have a surplus of LH d-men, even more so now with the Garrison signing so I totally understand the want to get rid of Ballard, especially with that 4.2 cap hit. I'd offer Cullen and a 3rd or 4th for Raymond, although a little more is probably needed, and that's not even mentioning Cully's partial NTC. Raymond would be a solid relacement for Bouchard, and would buy guys like Zucker and Coyle a little more time to develop.
I'd be fine with that.
There really is no room for Raymond on the Canucks (especially since Zack Kassian could very well be playing in our top 9 this/next season), and Cullen would fill our need for a 3rd line center.

I mainly included Ballard because I thought you guys might have some interest in him, and because Stoner Canucks jerseys would sell like hotcakes.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I'd be fine with that.
There really is no room for Raymond on the Canucks (especially since Zack Kassian could very well be playing in our top 9 this/next season), and Cullen would fill our need for a 3rd line center.

I mainly included Ballard because I thought you guys might have some interest in him, and because Stoner Canucks jerseys would sell like hotcakes.
Stoner is your ideal 6/7 shutdown d-man. Dude plays with a physical edge and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. He's actually a fairly good fighter. Only problem is that he's had some injury issues lately, if I recall correctly it's actually because he injured his hand in a fight. Other than Koivu, I think Stoner is the only Wild player to have a positive +/- rating over the last couple years.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
I think Wild management really likes the potential they see in Stoner. I doubt Cullen accepts a trade anywhere. He's likely done after his contract with the Wild expires.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

My bad if this is the wrong place, but didn't see a "proposals" thread.

Jon Blum for Devin Setoguchi. From what I've seen, you need Dmen with lots of potential. Blum has been up and down, but he played on our 2nd pairing 2 years ago, and was undoubtedly our 3rd best D (behind Weber and Suter, no shame in that). Last year, he ran into some attitude issues and regressed, but all reports out of Milwaukee say he is tearing up the AHL so far. Thoughts?

Old
12-18-2012, 11:56 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
My bad if this is the wrong place, but didn't see a "proposals" thread.

Jon Blum for Devin Setoguchi. From what I've seen, you need Dmen with lots of potential. Blum has been up and down, but he played on our 2nd pairing 2 years ago, and was undoubtedly our 3rd best D (behind Weber and Suter, no shame in that). Last year, he ran into some attitude issues and regressed, but all reports out of Milwaukee say he is tearing up the AHL so far. Thoughts?
I don't think I'd do the trade but I'll be honest, it's not a bad proposal. I like Setoguchi more than most people here. Also while there is a lot of potential with Jon Blum, I'd rather acquire a legitimate top four defenseman for Setoguchi (if we were to trade him). I'm not too keen on bringing in anyone with attitude issues but I'm only going by what you wrote. I haven't seen Blum in more than 10 games total.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Yeah I'm not sure why so many people are giving up on Seto already. If we're going to trade a forward for a top 4 d-man I'd much rather it be Clutter or a prospect like Phillips than Seto.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:19 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

It just feels like Seto doesn't want to be in Minnesota.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:20 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure why so many people are giving up on Seto already. If we're going to trade a forward for a top 4 d-man I'd much rather it be Clutter or a prospect like Phillips than Seto.
In all honesty Seto might be gone to open a spot for Zucker.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:46 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
but all reports out of Milwaukee say he is tearing up the AHL so far. Thoughts?

is 9 points in 25 games tearing up? Justin Schultz has PPG+. That is what i call tearing up.

Anyway, i agree with those who say Seto seems like he doesnt enjoy playing here.. Trade him for a 1st and move up Zucker..

Old
12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Because Setoguchi had 1 good rookie year playing with Thorton, and then 3 "eh" years. San Jose fans put him in every trade proposal.

It's completely possible Setoguchi is Fletcher's forward version of Barker. I wasn't impressed with him in San Jose, and its been the same here. He just doesn't have good vision, terrible at passing, and he's weak on the puck.

He's got a nose for the net, but that's about it. Not saying we trade him for scraps, but I've pencil him as the 2nd or 3rd line RW, and that's where he'll stay.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good or bad, Seto adds speed and a good shot to the team and he's fairly young and cheap. I'd also have him as a 2nd/3rd line winger.

This team is getting close to the point where they need to add veterans, not more rookies with upside.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Schultz is feeding RNH/Eberle/Hall. Blum is feeding Watson, Bang, and Cehlin...

All reports say he has been our best Dman this year. His attitude issues were that he felt entitled to a spot on our roster and stopped trying, which has changed.

Closed Thread