HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie signed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2006, 10:28 PM
  #26
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
If he does make it to the big club, you can bet everyone is going to be watching his temper like hawks. Would be highly entertaining to watch him play against Malkin though.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 10:51 PM
  #27
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Heres a question, how many games does he have to play for the Flyers for it to count as one for UFA service?
10 NHL games and the first year of the contract kicks in I believe. I said earlier I wouldn't be surprised to see him play 9 games and then get sent back to the Petes, much like Wojtek Wolski did with Colorado at the start of the year.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 09:20 AM
  #28
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
10 NHL games and the first year of the contract kicks in I believe. I said earlier I wouldn't be surprised to see him play 9 games and then get sent back to the Petes, much like Wojtek Wolski did with Colorado at the start of the year.
I agree that this is likely the mgt. plan with him - 8-9 games them back to jrs unless a big change of events. I think this is what they thought with Justin Williams who went through the same type of process.

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
  #29
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
I agree that this is likely the mgt. plan with him - 8-9 games them back to jrs unless a big change of events. I think this is what they thought with Justin Williams who went through the same type of process.
yeah... Williams surprised everyone. he had wheels from the start though, which makes up for a lot of other stuff not being up to snuff. doesn't sound like Downie has that advantage going for him.

very nice to have him under contract. i don't think he will be with the club for next year, but it would be nice for him to get an AHL playoff run in him next year and then make a major push for a roster spot the next season.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 02:05 PM
  #30
Sum1winachampionship
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Off topic, but does he have any history with any other Flyers? Just curious if some of the other young players have had 'incidents' with him.

Sum1winachampionship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
  #31
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1winachampionship
Off topic, but does he have any history with any other Flyers? Just curious if some of the other young players have had 'incidents' with him.
Downie and Richards have had a few encounters. One particularly memorable one ended up with Richards suspended for 2 games for "verbal abuse of an official". Downie had him so riled up, that I thought Richards was going to leave the penalty box to take a run at him.

Downie is also credited with throwing Carter and the rest of his team off their games when Windsor came back from 0-3 in a first round playoff series. That early exit allowed Carter to join the Phantoms for their Calder Cup run, so perhaps he'll thank Downie now.

I'm not positive, but I'd put money on the odds that Downie and Pisellini have a not-so-warm-and-fuzzy history.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
  #32
Sum1winachampionship
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Thanks for the info CG. I never get to see anything at that level but in reading about Downie and Richards I figured they had to have crossed paths before.

I like the path this Flyers team appears to be taking.

Sum1winachampionship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
  #33
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
I'm not positive, but I'd put money on the odds that Downie and Pisellini have a not-so-warm-and-fuzzy history.
If Pisellini fights anything like Huggy Bear then I'll take that bet.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
  #34
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
If Pisellini fights anything like Huggy Bear then I'll take that bet.
Pisellini is a fighter - he punches and everything!

I just thought of Beaulieu (last year's pick) -- he and Downie have a pretty good history of not liking one another. Probably because they're similar players, except that Downie has far more offensive upside than Beaulieu. They've gone a few times, if I recall correctly.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
  #35
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
Downie and Richards have had a few encounters. One particularly memorable one ended up with Richards suspended for 2 games for "verbal abuse of an official". Downie had him so riled up, that I thought Richards was going to leave the penalty box to take a run at him.

Downie is also credited with throwing Carter and the rest of his team off their games when Windsor came back from 0-3 in a first round playoff series. That early exit allowed Carter to join the Phantoms for their Calder Cup run, so perhaps he'll thank Downie now.

I'm not positive, but I'd put money on the odds that Downie and Pisellini have a not-so-warm-and-fuzzy history.
I was just thinking about the Carter and Richards incidents and it's funny that when the Flyers drafted Downie, Carter and Richards were the first to say how great of a player Steve was going to be.

Fact is that the guy is gamer and he showed he can play hockey. As for the perceived notion that his skating is poor, everyone said the same thing about Richards and he turned out to be ok. Some players just aren't blazers. In the case of Downie and Richards, they have the hockey smarts to make up for the perceived skating deficiencies. He'll be just fine. And I've got a funny feeling that Downie could possibly the future winger for the Carter/Umberger line. He's a very deft passer and he distributes the puck real well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
  #36
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Fact is that the guy is gamer and he showed he can play hockey. As for the perceived notion that his skating is poor, everyone said the same thing about Richards and he turned out to be ok. Some players just aren't blazers. In the case of Downie and Richards, they have the hockey smarts to make up for the perceived skating deficiencies. He'll be just fine. And I've got a funny feeling that Downie could possibly the future winger for the Carter/Umberger line. He's a very deft passer and he distributes the puck real well.
I agree completely. I love the kid - he plays his best when he's playing close to the line (but not over). I think his skating could use another year in the OHL, but he'll be fine.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 08:15 PM
  #37
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
I agree completely. I love the kid - he plays his best when he's playing close to the line (but not over). I think his skating could use another year in the OHL, but he'll be fine.
I think his skating just needs the help of NHL coaches. Look at how well Perry was skating towards the end of the year - I was shocked.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
  #38
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
Pisellini is a fighter - he punches and everything!

I just thought of Beaulieu (last year's pick) -- he and Downie have a pretty good history of not liking one another. Probably because they're similar players, except that Downie has far more offensive upside than Beaulieu. They've gone a few times, if I recall correctly.
Downie has fought both Pisellini and Beaulieu. Pisellini beat him (he's out of his league), Beaulieu and Downie have fought 3 times. The first time, Downie won, the next two Beaulieu won in close fights.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:09 AM
  #39
DXFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
So once Downie plays full time next year with the Petes again and their season is over, he can come down to the Phantoms for the last 2 games and possibly a playoff run, which will be likely with the positive development of Voce, Ruzicka, and Houle in net.

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 11:13 AM
  #40
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Who cares if he can fight in todays NHL? Its entertaining, but I want to win.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2006, 04:44 PM
  #41
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Who cares if he can fight in todays NHL? Its entertaining, but I want to win.
Thanks for your input. Someone asked if the players had any history, and I answered that question.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 07:45 PM
  #42
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Downie has fought both Pisellini and Beaulieu. Pisellini beat him (he's out of his league), Beaulieu and Downie have fought 3 times. The first time, Downie won, the next two Beaulieu won in close fights.

Yeah, but isn't Pisellini one of the best fighters in the OHL?

I don't think the Flyers care if he can take on Pisellini or not.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 08:13 PM
  #43
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
Yeah, but isn't Pisellini one of the best fighters in the OHL?

I don't think the Flyers care if he can take on Pisellini or not.
That's why I said Pisellini is out of his league. I think it shows good on Downie that he would even fight the guy.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.