HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Around the League 2012-12 I: Gary and Donald sitting in a tree

Old
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Bruno had an uncanny ability to project his presence around the net. He seriously gets underrated for how skilled he was once he got behind the net. Might not have had the best shot, been the fastest skater or thrown the biggest hits... but he was incredibly effective for what he was asked to do.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
The lockout will end on Friday

followed shortly by the world

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:49 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
The lockout will end on Friday

followed shortly by the world
Source?

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Source?
Eklund & the mayans

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
After watching 3 seasons of community in the last month or so, Bender, I appreciate your avatar.
Thank you. I was going to change it, then got grief from a guy about it, had to fight to keep it and since I was allowed to, gonna keep it for a while I think, mostly out of spite.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think it makes too much sense to resign another defensive defenseman to a multi year deal at this point, whether it's O'Byrne or Regehr. I wish they would have not felt panicked to sign Zanon, and then could have more options.
I'm not sure it was a panic move really, I doubt very much that they signed him to play in a top-3 role, I think that would be a pretty big stretch for this player. I think Zanon will give the Avs some solid minutes but as a 4-6 guy.

With this coaching staff though, I wouldn't be surprised if they pair him up with EJ and try to see if they can develop a 'Scuderi-Doughty' kind of thing.

EJ - #1
Wilson - #2 -> (because there is no real #2 right now)
Hejda - #3 -> a decent #3...for now
O'Byrne - #4 -> Hejda's partner, they have chemistry from last season
Zanon - #5 -> will be solid at this spot
O'Brien - #6 -> on the bottom pairing, limiting his minutes, I have no problem with SoB here
Hunwick - #7 -> available when needed

For me this seems like the most logical lineup to start the season. Depending on how they play, I would expect Sacco to swap out and match Wilson, Zanon and O'Brien with EJ.

So when you take a step back and look at our D globally, you see our biggest need is a true #2 pairing guy to play with EJ. (I think ALL Avs fans agree this is our biggest need)

So if a TRADE were to be orchestrated to acquire one, it is very possible that the team trade to us would require a player back in exchange for the D-man they just sent us.

For example: The Montreal Canadiens have grown tired of Andrei Markov and all his injuries and they aren't going to re-sign him. They've decided to move him and try to get younger and grittier. The Avs are interested and offer up Ryan Wilson + 2nd round pick.

[this is hypothetical to prove a point, don't worry about value or whether it's fair or if we should even do it]

To Mtl:
Wilson,LD
2nd round pick

To Col:
Markov,LD

So the point is, if we DON'T sign a guy like Zanon and make a trade like this one, then we end up with O'Brien and Hunwick on the bottom pairing. Hunwick has been a good soldier and good fill-in guy for injuries and while he looked much better in that role last season, he was so god-awful after his trade to the Avs, it would be preferable to keep him as a 'fill-in' guy. PLUS, if we have any injuries for a significant amount of time, we have to bring up Barrie, Elliott or Gaunce and ALL of those guys still need to shore up their defensive game.

This is just one scenario, there could be a bunch of teams wanting to get younger and certainly CHEAPER and when you have a guy like Wilson signed for 3 years at $2.25M per, that could certainly be attractive from that standpoint.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Ah, yes the good ol product of line mates theory. Too bad he was a 20 goal scorer and 60 point player before and after he was with the avs.
Sure... one time in the NHL was he a 60 point player before being on Sakic's line and twice was he a 20 goal scorer, then his best numbers ever came from the seasons he played with Sakic. So it's a pretty ****ing good theory, don't you think?

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
McClement is not easily replaceable.
Haha?

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Sure... one time in the NHL was he a 60 point player before being on Sakic's line and twice was he a 20 goal scorer, then his best numbers ever came from the seasons he played with Sakic. So it's a pretty ****ing good theory, don't you think?
Nope, it's not a good theory. The point was Bruno was a 60 point player and 20 goal scorer even with Sakic. Hell in his final year with the avs, Andrew had 59pts and Sakic missed half the year(Joe had 40pts). You calling Brunette a product of Sakic doesn't make any sense, seeing how he proved that he could still put up points without having a legend as a centerman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Haha?
Great contribution to the thread.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Nope, it's not a good theory. The point was Bruno was a 60 point player and 20 goal scorer even with Sakic. Hell in his final year with the avs, Andrew had 59pts and Sakic missed half the year(Joe had 40pts). You calling Brunette a product of Sakic doesn't make any sense, seeing how he proved that he could still put up points without having a legend as a centerman.

Great contribution to the thread.
He had about 35 fewer points in the season where Sakic missed half of it, compared to the season before where they were both healthy for 82 games.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Haha?
We'll see if you're laughing if the Avs ever play again.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

But if only we had Evander Kane! We could have used some of his cash to keep McClement!

Old
12-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1309483

You would think looking at the competition EJ has in this poll he'd be winning with a decent bit of room... can't comment on Carlson's future potential very well since I don't watch him often enough, but does anyone seriously see him jumping ahead of EJ by then? He's two years younger than EJ, it's not like both of them aren't still developing.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm not sure it was a panic move really, I doubt very much that they signed him to play in a top-3 role, I think that would be a pretty big stretch for this player. I think Zanon will give the Avs some solid minutes but as a 4-6 guy.

With this coaching staff though, I wouldn't be surprised if they pair him up with EJ and try to see if they can develop a 'Scuderi-Doughty' kind of thing.

EJ - #1
Wilson - #2 -> (because there is no real #2 right now)
Hejda - #3 -> a decent #3...for now
O'Byrne - #4 -> Hejda's partner, they have chemistry from last season
Zanon - #5 -> will be solid at this spot
O'Brien - #6 -> on the bottom pairing, limiting his minutes, I have no problem with SoB here
Hunwick - #7 -> available when needed

For me this seems like the most logical lineup to start the season. Depending on how they play, I would expect Sacco to swap out and match Wilson, Zanon and O'Brien with EJ.

So when you take a step back and look at our D globally, you see our biggest need is a true #2 pairing guy to play with EJ. (I think ALL Avs fans agree this is our biggest need)

So if a TRADE were to be orchestrated to acquire one, it is very possible that the team trade to us would require a player back in exchange for the D-man they just sent us.

For example: The Montreal Canadiens have grown tired of Andrei Markov and all his injuries and they aren't going to re-sign him. They've decided to move him and try to get younger and grittier. The Avs are interested and offer up Ryan Wilson + 2nd round pick.

[this is hypothetical to prove a point, don't worry about value or whether it's fair or if we should even do it]

To Mtl:
Wilson,LD
2nd round pick

To Col:
Markov,LD

So the point is, if we DON'T sign a guy like Zanon and make a trade like this one, then we end up with O'Brien and Hunwick on the bottom pairing. Hunwick has been a good soldier and good fill-in guy for injuries and while he looked much better in that role last season, he was so god-awful after his trade to the Avs, it would be preferable to keep him as a 'fill-in' guy. PLUS, if we have any injuries for a significant amount of time, we have to bring up Barrie, Elliott or Gaunce and ALL of those guys still need to shore up their defensive game.

This is just one scenario, there could be a bunch of teams wanting to get younger and certainly CHEAPER and when you have a guy like Wilson signed for 3 years at $2.25M per, that could certainly be attractive from that standpoint.
I disagree and you contradicted yourself a bit in the first two paragraphs.

I think they signed him for a few reasons. Firstly because they knew they needed to improve the D, and if they went into the season with the same exact D, the fans would have really let them have it. Secondly I'm pretty sure their first hope is that he could play with EJ and free him up to be more offensive. Thirdly they probably hope that as a secondary plan, he can play with Elliott or Barrie and be a good defensive anchor and teacher. Finally I think they see him as a replacement for O'Byrne as a pure defensive D man, allowing/hoping for Siemens to step in when Zanon's contract is up.

It's not a frantic panic move, but it was a bit panicky IMO because they missed out on Suter and needed to go into the season improving the D somehow. Unfortunately it kind of locks them into the same D for a year or two until you let enough time pass to trade one of the guys.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
He had about 35 fewer points in the season where Sakic missed half of it, compared to the season before where they were both healthy for 82 games.
I said he was a 60 point player with or without Sakic, I've shown stats proving that. Bruno having less points without Sakic isn't the issue. Keep in mind the year of 06, a lot of numbers were inflated due to the new rules.

Quote:
But if only we had Evander Kane! We could have used some of his cash to keep McClement!

If only he had enough money to pay those restaurant bills. Poor guy.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

That's the money saved from all those restaurants he's ran out of!

Old
12-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Last night on RDS , Michel Bergeron said that a good source told him that there's gonna be hockey early in January. I find that hard to believe , to be able to have hockey this early, it means that they have to agree on a new CBA this week or early next week .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Last night on RDS , Michel Bergeron said that a good source told him that there's gonna be hockey early in January. I find that hard to believe , to be able to have hockey this early, it means that they have to agree on a new CBA this week or early next week .
Well...

@SiriusXMNHL: Bill Daly ' yes we will have a season' @SiriusXMNHL @HNICRadio

Old
12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Well...

@SiriusXMNHL: Bill Daly ' yes we will have a season' @SiriusXMNHL @HNICRadio
Yeah i heard about that comment too , I think the NHL and the NHLPA are just trolling us

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:56 PM
tpedersen21

vCash: 2223
Toronto charity game link
Full of NHLers, a lot of leafs and former Avs. Downie is on Team Stamkos (Blue), our new friend John Mitchell on Team Subban (White).. Intermission after the first right now.

tpedersen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I disagree and you contradicted yourself a bit in the first two paragraphs.

I think they signed him for a few reasons. Firstly because they knew they needed to improve the D, and if they went into the season with the same exact D, the fans would have really let them have it. Secondly I'm pretty sure their first hope is that he could play with EJ and free him up to be more offensive. Thirdly they probably hope that as a secondary plan, he can play with Elliott or Barrie and be a good defensive anchor and teacher. Finally I think they see him as a replacement for O'Byrne as a pure defensive D man, allowing/hoping for Siemens to step in when Zanon's contract is up.

It's not a frantic panic move, but it was a bit panicky IMO because they missed out on Suter and needed to go into the season improving the D somehow. Unfortunately it kind of locks them into the same D for a year or two until you let enough time pass to trade one of the guys.
First of all, I think it's pretty generous to refer to that non-structured mess I wrote as "paragraphs".

Secondly, I don't think Joe Sacco is the guy signing UFAs. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't be surprised if he 'Kobasewed' Zanon and put him on the top pairing to start the year. [Zanon might play well there for a while but I don't think he'd be able to maintain his play all season long]

*I'd LOVE to believe that everyone is all on the same page, GM-coach but history has shown this NOT to be the case in recent years.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
are we really that bored with hockey that we're discussing Greg Zanon's role?

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
are we really that bored with hockey that we're discussing Greg Zanon's role?
Sounds like it.

Zanon is going to surprise a lot of people though. I think he'll be very appreciated by Avs fans...kind of like Greg de Vries was during his time here.