HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part IIX: The How Do Roman Numerals Work? Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  #1
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,534
vCash: 2705
OT Thread Part IIX: The How Do Roman Numerals Work? Edition

Continue here.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:53 PM
  #2
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,866
vCash: 50
Good thing if checked before publishing mine. It's a great feeling to get that little yellow arrow

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
  #3
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Kaneone, you still haven't accepted my friendliness.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:59 PM
  #4
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
3.7GPA. Did not expect that after missing almost 2 months of school

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  #5
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
I cant wait for these college decisions :/

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
  #6
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,866
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I cant wait for these college decisions :/
Wait... How old are you?

Edit: less creepy sounding: what grade are you in?

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:52 PM
  #7
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Wait... How old are you?

Edit: less creepy sounding: what grade are you in?
Obvious answer is obvious. He's a Senior.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:57 PM
  #8
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,866
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Obvious answer is obvious. He's a Senior.
He could mean that he can't wait to make decisions next year

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:01 PM
  #9
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,163
vCash: 500
I made mine with like, 4 minutes left to submit applications.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:50 PM
  #10
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Selkirk, NY
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 400
I have no interest in going to college...but of course, I'm going anyway. I suppose it is true that you are what is expected of you.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
  #11
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
I had no interest either. I applied to four, got accepted into all of them, visited the first that I got my acceptance letter from and told my parents, okay, this is it. They told me wait to see who else accepted me, but when the rest of the letters came I just told them, no, I already made up my mind, and really loved the first school. In reality I just didn't want to deal with any of it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:49 AM
  #12
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Selkirk, NY
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 400
The prospect of sitting in a classroom for another four years makes me want to tear my hair out. I have a serious problem with authority and I don't think I'll ever be able to learn effectively in a classroom environment.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:22 AM
  #13
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Ditto. I played college hockey and enjoyed my social life at school, but I simply refused to be a good student (in college - had been a great student when I was younger until I started getting bored in high school, and then I coasted until I eventually got kicked out of all my AP classes and what not) until I was ready to grow up, make the minimal work I had done in school amount to something and finally graduate. All in all, I spent 6.5 years in college, taking as few a classes as I was allowed to each semester in order to stay on the team, rampantly dropping classes when I fell too far behind (from skipping) that I could no longer save my grade and basically just ****ing around in general. I skipped more class than anyone that knew me could even believe. I was practically a student in title only; I virtually didn't GO to school

My family went through some tough times while I was in school, which I used as an excuse for my taking so long, along with changing majors three times but, basically, I was out on my own for the first time, hated school and listening to authority, loved having a party life and playing a college sport and decided that I was going to 'go rogue', make the rules, do what I wanted and not listen to anybody. When my NCAA eligibility was up and I couldn't play anymore, I decided to make use of the 70 or so credits I'd actually earned and finished up fairly easily, still without ever trying, doing virtually no homework and never studying a day in my life. The only thing I did differently was actually go to class and keep track of when I had a paper due. I graduated with a 2.96 but I had around a 3.7 in the last 4-5 semesters and some terrible grades (not to mention dozens of Ws on my transcript - for withdrawal) pulled down my cumulative.

The funny thing is I'll probably end up going to graduate school eventually too and, although I'm more mature now and feel like I'd be doing it of my own accord, rather than because it's expected of me, I find it ironic that I hated school SO much when I was younger and made myself into one of the worst students possible, despite having the ability to easily pull As and get myself into honors sections and such. Meanwhile, regarding learning - in my opinion, I learned nothing from my classes in college. I learned a lot from doing it the way I did, living life as fully as possible, experimenting and doing what I wanted and from talking to professors and forming interesting friendships outside of the classroom with some. There's virtually no such thing as 'classroom learning'; they don't teach in classes, they indoctrinate and inundate. Being a good student is tantamount to regurgitating information that you drill yourself to remember, or if you're lucky like myself, absorb absent mindedly and simply spit back out on papers and exams. Learning takes place through living, not through sitting through hours of lectures and note scribbling each day.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:30 AM
  #14
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,163
vCash: 500
MPF I like your posts.. I can relate somewhat

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:36 AM
  #15
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Selkirk, NY
Country: Papua New Guinea
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Ditto. I played college hockey and enjoyed my social life at school, but I simply refused to be a good student (in college - had been a great student when I was younger until I started getting bored in high school, and then I coasted until I eventually got kicked out of all my AP classes and what not) until I was ready to grow up, make the minimal work I had done in school amount to something and finally graduate. All in all, I spent 6.5 years in college, taking as few a classes as I was allowed to each semester in order to stay on the team, rampantly dropping classes when I fell too far behind (from skipping) that I could no longer save my grade and basically just ****ing around in general. I skipped more class than anyone that knew me could even believe. I was practically a student in title only; I virtually didn't GO to school

My family went through some tough times while I was in school, which I used as an excuse for my taking so long, along with changing majors three times but, basically, I was out on my own for the first time, hated school and listening to authority, loved having a party life and playing a college sport and decided that I was going to 'go rogue', make the rules, do what I wanted and not listen to anybody. When my NCAA eligibility was up and I couldn't play anymore, I decided to make use of the 70 or so credits I'd actually earned and finished up fairly easily, still without ever trying, doing virtually no homework and never studying a day in my life. The only thing I did differently was actually go to class and keep track of when I had a paper due. I graduated with a 2.96 but I had around a 3.7 in the last 4-5 semesters and some terrible grades (not to mention dozens of Ws on my transcript - for withdrawal) pulled down my cumulative.

The funny thing is I'll probably end up going to graduate school eventually too and, although I'm more mature now and feel like I'd be doing it of my own accord, rather than because it's expected of me, I find it ironic that I hated school SO much when I was younger and made myself into one of the worst students possible, despite having the ability to easily pull As and get myself into honors sections and such. Meanwhile, regarding learning - in my opinion, I learned nothing from my classes in college. I learned a lot from doing it the way I did, living life as fully as possible, experimenting and doing what I wanted and from talking to professors and forming interesting friendships outside of the classroom with some. There's virtually no such thing as 'classroom learning'; they don't teach in classes, they indoctrinate and inundate. Being a good student is tantamount to regurgitating information that you drill yourself to remember, or if you're lucky like myself, absorb absent mindedly and simply spit back out on papers and exams. Learning takes place through living, not through sitting through hours of lectures and note scribbling each day.
Thanks for compounding what I already suspected.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:37 AM
  #16
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
A tldr would be lovely

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:40 AM
  #17
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,705
vCash: 500
Felt the same about going to college, and almost failed out freshman year. I got my degree in Accounting which I loved taking those classes, but I went to a Jesuit college, and some of the core classes that are required by everyone to take were so tedious it was painful to be there. Sitting in an 8 AM religion class or philosophy class or art history were just terrible.

Hopefully, going in you have a major, and can look forward going to those classes, and I was lucky enough to have some good business teachers. I never thought I would survive college, but then I got my Bachelors in Accountancy and had so much fun went back to get my MBA which I completed last year.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:43 AM
  #18
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
A tldr would be lovely
I don't do tl;dr. If you didn't read, you didn't read, and I don't care. I know the internet is not meant to be serious business, but why I enjoy posting and why others might aren't always going to be the same and I enjoy the forums the most when there's some semblance of stimulating conversation to engage in (or when that sport with the black rubber thing is actually being played). Doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the banter either, but I'm mostly only on here if I'm bored and if I'm bored, it means I'd rather be intellectually stimulated. When I can't be, I settle for amused.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:46 AM
  #19
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I don't do tl;dr. If you didn't read, you didn't read, and I don't care. I know the internet is not meant to be serious business, but why I enjoy posting and why others might aren't always going to be the same and I enjoy the forums the most when there's some semblance of stimulating conversation to engage in (or when that sport with the black rubber thing is actually being played). Doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the banter either, but I'm mostly only on here if I'm bored and if I'm bored, it means I'd rather be intellectually stimulated. When I can't be, I settle for amused.
Hey hey, I just woke up from a nap
I am a fan of the long posts myself.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:51 AM
  #20
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Felt the same about going to college, and almost failed out freshman year. I got my degree in Accounting which I loved taking those classes, but I went to a Jesuit college, and some of the core classes that are required by everyone to take were so tedious it was painful to be there. Sitting in an 8 AM religion class or philosophy class or art history were just terrible.

Hopefully, going in you have a major, and can look forward going to those classes, and I was lucky enough to have some good business teachers. I never thought I would survive college, but then I got my Bachelors in Accountancy and had so much fun went back to get my MBA which I completed last year.
Good job on the MBA. I'm sure I'll be going back within the year, but I agree with most of what you wrote. Major problem for me was I had no focus in mind and hadn't chosen a major (well, I had, but I started as an English major because... I just love to read and write) and simply just didn't want to be there. I wanted to be playing college hockey and socializing, but I didn't want to be a student. And it turned out being an English major wasn't about reading and writing; it was about tediously picking apart and analyzing everything which you were assigned and COULD have enjoyed, but instead were forced to write numbingly dry analysis of. Even more ironic than the prospect of me going back to school is the fact that I'll probably take some education classes and take steps to get certified as a teacher because... one of the only things I can see myself doing is becoming a teacher and striving to make my class the complete opposite of everything I hated as a student. Here and there throughout my academic career, just as you described, I ended up in classes that were truly enjoyable. The potential for education to be engaging and enjoyable exists but the approach is usually terribly disengaging. Part of the reason I'd like to teach is to keep kids like myself from becoming so disengaged and giving them a reason to continue to do well in school rather than allowing themselves to lose interest and coast until they are just a middle of the pack student with a substandard academic resume.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:51 AM
  #21
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,694
vCash: 50
I live in the weak and the wounded.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:03 AM
  #22
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
TIL college and university experiences are very different in the two countries. Super Duper Muper different. Much easier up here.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:05 AM
  #23
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,534
vCash: 2705
I started watching Dexter. My life has been changed.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:18 AM
  #24
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,694
vCash: 50
I think I have some type of BPD.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:21 AM
  #25
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I started watching Dexter. My life has been changed.
Shopping for leather winter gloves has never been so fun

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.