HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #4: Tentative agreement!

View Poll Results: Will there be a short nhl season this year
Yes 49 43.36%
No 64 56.64%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
This is completly false.

If the union disbands the idea is that the anti-trust exemptions granted to the NHL would be void, they would have to negotiate with each player individually without the rules or confines of the CBA.
or the NHL becomes one single corporate entity (like MLS) and all contracts are signed with the league, not the individual teams... nobody knows, its a black hole that completely destroys 100+ years of the NHL because the players are greedy SOBs

my point is, nobody knows what the landscape will look like if this does make its way through the courts... it might not cause any damage at all, like the NFL court case, or it might blow everything up..... quite the chance to take over contract lengths that do't apply to 90% of the players, and never will

Old
12-18-2012, 03:06 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love for Horcoff to be Boo'd. Murphy his a** like they did in Toronto every time he got the puck.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I am so glad that RNH, Eberle, and Hall have had the good sense to keep their mouths shut about the lockout.

It's nearly impossible for a professional athlete to come off as anything but an entitled d-bag when they wade into the public discussion. The only exception to this, that I've seen so far, is Andy McDonald.
Lundqvist has also come off really well. Talking about how much he misses the game, how bad he feels for the fans and how BOTH sides need to get something done. I've gained a lot of respect for him throughout this process.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:25 PM
#ualberta

Long time red wings coach Mike Babcock saying today we (the nhl) could end up like bowling.
Really bowling? I thought we'd at least be better then curling

@SportsnetSpec: Mike Babcock on lockout effect: "Hate to say it, but we could end up like bowling."

Old
12-18-2012, 04:38 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm a little surprised at the amount of heat Horcoff is taking for those particular quotes at this particular point in the lockout.

He has consistently toed the company line.

I agree that it might be better for professional athletes to stop sounding like spoiled brats on twitter, but I'm not sure what kind of comments anyone here should expect from an NHLPA mouthpiece.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'm a little surprised at the amount of heat Horcoff is taking for those particular quotes at this particular point in the lockout.
The fact that it was Horcoff who said it is probably 80-90% of the reason for the backlash. It would be a totally different response if it was someone like Smid or one of the kids who said it.

12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
or the NHL becomes one single corporate entity (like MLS) and all contracts are signed with the league, not the individual teams... nobody knows, its a black hole that completely destroys 100+ years of the NHL because the players are greedy SOBs

my point is, nobody knows what the landscape will look like if this does make its way through the courts... it might not cause any damage at all, like the NFL court case, or it might blow everything up..... quite the chance to take over contract lengths that do't apply to 90% of the players, and never will
So the owners in the NHL are all going to sell their clubs to a single entity? Not bloody likely.

And your contention that the players are greedy is based on what exactly?? The fact that they are asking for so many gains in these negotiations?

IMO its not an matter of if a pro sport union decertifies at some point in the future but when. The act of belonging to a union has lost any inherent value for professional athletes and at some point the decertification step will be taken.

It won't ruin a league but simply change how it operates

Old
12-18-2012, 07:05 PM
#ualberta

An Edmonton MP suggested today that the Stanley Cup be awarded to the best amateur team if the nhl cannot salvage a season. According to the article (linked below) the cup's trustees have the option -- but not the obligation -- of awarding the prize to another team if there is no NHL champion. This was considered in the last lockout but obviously the cup was not awarded. If he's thinking of awarding the cup to the CHL champs that could be a viable option although they already have the Memorial Cup so if they give them the Stanley Cup the Memorial Cup would then not be awarded. I'm not quite sure what i think i'm not really all for the idea but wouldn't really be against it either

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=8760042&type=story

Old
12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post

He has consistently toed the company line.

I agree that it might be better for professional athletes to stop sounding like spoiled brats on twitter, but I'm not sure what kind of comments anyone here should expect from an NHLPA mouthpiece.
Isn't Horcoff the one that failed to turn into his Oilers practice jersey on the eve of the work stoppage, and said he would continue to wear it to "spite the league?"

Old
12-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Too ambiguous. His job as a senior member of the NHLPA is to tow the company line and make comments that further their cause. Saying nothing is not acceptable from an NHLPA perspective.
Any comments Shawn Horcoff makes outside of the boardroom meetings will not have any influence on "furthering a cause". It's what happens inside that room that determines where this goes. What it will do however, is provoke public opinion and backlash. And considering that public opinion is now very much against the players, it would be prudent if he answered in exactly that ambiguous way.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...0XTWiw.twitter

Finally a lawyer writes an article about disclaimer of interest / nhlpa strategy.

Great read.
You're right, really a great and intelligent explanation and read for any and all. Find the last comment interesting for all those that think the players will just file for decertification and get after the owners.

"I think that's exactly why the NHL filed its lawsuit on Friday -- they know that by doing so, they are moving the players closer to the realization that the antitrust cudgel they have been holding over the league is made of feathers.
That might save the season, but not the way the players want. "

Old
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Oi'll say!

I barely follow the lockout at all, does nothing but make me angry.

We all know that the players will continue to get rich, the wealthy teams will continue to poach players from the have-nots and about ten teams will continue to lose gobs of money.

Soon the league will start shrinking towards 24 teams and then it will be too late to stop it. Some players will finally wake up but most will just blame the owners.

The only winners when all is said and done will be the euro leagues.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Just reading on Twitter that Michel Bergeron has said a deal has been done and the season will start on Jan 1st... great if it's true.

"Fred Poulin ‏@FredPoulin98

According to Michel Bergeron, it is a done deal between the #NHL and the #NHLPA! The season would start on January 1st. #NHLlockout #CBA"

Old
12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
ozhenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Just reading on Twitter that Michel Bergeron has said a deal has been done and the season will start on Jan 1st... great if it's true.

According to Michel Bergeron, it is a done deal between the #NHL and the #NHLPA! The season would start on January 1st. #NHLlockout #CBA"
Is this Michael Bergeron reputable? I REALLY want this to be true, but would hate to get my hopes up for nothing.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:31 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozhenson View Post
Is this Michael Bergeron reputable? I REALLY want this to be true, but would hate to get my hopes up for nothing.
He's been out of the game for awhile. I think he was just stating an opinion.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Not sure if it's true but apparently he said it on a French program called L'antichambre

http://ac.rds.ca/

Looks like quite a few are repeating it on Twitter now:

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...geron&src=typd

I have zero French language skills so I can't confirm whether it's all just a bs rumour or not... but hopefully the rumour has legs and it turns out to be true.

Could someone please listen to that French language show on that RDS link up above and confirm what Bergeron said.

If you click on this video link:

Les manchettes de nos experts - 2012-12-18 22:08:57

on this page:

http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/ac/zone...ichambre.html#

...at about the 3:00 minute mark of that video segment which is 7:26 long... you can hear Bergeron talk about the "Done Deal".

Again I can't understand French so I don't know if it's just his opinion or if this is a "bigger" deal than just his opinion.

On that video segment they had Jan 1 circled behind them on a video screen as they were talking... so I assume that's the target start date for a truncated season... again that's IF this rumour turns out to be true.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 12-18-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

Quote:
Michel Bergeron is a former head coach and currently a panelist on a show on RDS.
You guys know i would love this to be true but unfortunately i am immediately very skeptical,
remember steve burton from a few weeks ago claiming a deal was done behind closed doors he was obviously wrong.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

If true I wonder if Schultz feels bad about not being able to smash every AHL offensive record for D? Only slightly being sarcastic here. Of course the pay and level of play is much better in the NHL, but it would be cool for him to have all of those records to his resume.

12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Personally I'd much rather watch Schultz learning to fit in at the NHL level with the rest of the kids than dominating at the AHL level... maybe that's just my selfish view... but bring on the NHL.

Definitely excited to see Yak as well with the Oilers and how that changes the complexion of the offensive depth on the team.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:51 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If true I wonder if Schultz feels bad about not being able to smash every AHL offensive record for D? Only slightly being sarcastic here. Of course the pay and level of play is much better in the NHL, but it would be cool for him to have all of those records to his resume.
I wonder who the top scoring defenceman was in the 93-94 shortened NHL season, maybe Schultz can give that guy a run for his money in the NHL this season, Pair him with Smid or N.Schultz..
Oilers already have one of the best PPs in the NHL, with Schultz they could be number one this year..

Old
12-19-2012, 12:21 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
So the owners in the NHL are all going to sell their clubs to a single entity? Not bloody likely.

And your contention that the players are greedy is based on what exactly?? The fact that they are asking for so many gains in these negotiations?

IMO its not an matter of if a pro sport union decertifies at some point in the future but when. The act of belonging to a union has lost any inherent value for professional athletes and at some point the decertification step will be taken.

The owners wouldnt have to sell there clubs, they would all be taken over by the league and the league could give them a percentage share in the company. I could easily see the majority of the owners going for this type of system just to stick it to the players if it gets to that point.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:10 AM
oilersfan11

I call BS,there's no way that the season is going to start January 1st.

Michal Bergeron is just like Steve Burton......Crazy!

Old
12-19-2012, 05:07 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The owners wouldnt have to sell there clubs, they would all be taken over by the league and the league could give them a percentage share in the company. I could easily see the majority of the owners going for this type of system just to stick it to the players if it gets to that point.
If this happens, would the league also have to help pay for new arenas?

Old
12-19-2012, 05:25 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Long time red wings coach Mike Babcock saying today we (the nhl) could end up like bowling.
Really bowling? I thought we'd at least be better then curling

@SportsnetSpec: Mike Babcock on lockout effect: "Hate to say it, but we could end up like bowling."
It's already behind Nascar, golf, and college sports in many places in the US, bowling probably isnt too far behind right now lol.

Pretty sure he said it tongue-in-cheek, but he really means the game is quickly losing any gains it made since the last lockout...i just hope they dont come back with more stupid gimmicks like the shootout and calling 20 penalties a game (which was their way of artificially 'creating offense').

Anyways, as we've all seen, there are bigger worries in life, the NHL (and all sports, for that matter) seem incredibly trivial now, really if they stay locked out til the end of time, it means very very little in the grand scheme of things afaic.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:39 AM
jadeddog

Quote:

agreed, it isn't likely to happen, but if the NHLPA does go down this road, all bets are off and literally anything could happen

i think it will ruin the league for the NHL to become like soccer in europe, and the vast majority of people agree with me.... you are in the extreme minority on this point.... i guess we'll just have to disagree cause i'll never watch 1 second of NHL hockey again if we become like european soccer

Closed Thread