HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Riley Sheahan Arrested

Old
11-29-2012, 12:15 AM
FabricDetails

vCash: 500
It would be interesting to me if we had a teletubby-theme set of avatars going on around here for Wings fans. People come on here and think, "WTF..." Haha.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
There was that some voting for the Griffins bobble-head after the season.

Riley Sheahan Teletubby-bobblehead?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

I was reading that this charge also comes with possible deportation ... does that mean that he can't play hockey anymore ?

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Osgood As It Gets
23 Straight Years

vCash: 493
There's a video if anyone is interested : http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/nat...tubbie-costume

I genuinely feel bad for him, him being a Red Wings' prospect and all, but he did drive way over the legal limit, the wrong way on a one-way street.

Osgood As It Gets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
from Rotoworld, mlive link isn't working:

Quote:
Riley Sheahan pleaded guilty on Thursday to his "superdrunk" driving offense of operating a vehicle with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher.

Charges against him for displaying or using false identification and driving the wrong way on Ottawa Avenue were dismissed. According to court officials, the Detroit prospect had to pay a $1,325 fine and he agreed to complete 49 hours on a work crew, attend a victim impact class and serve 12 months of probation. Sheahan has been playing his rookie season in AHL Grand Rapids, where he has generated four goals and four assists in 20 games.
It doesn't sound like he'll be deported.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
FabricDetails

Ilitch pay somebody off?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Nope, just the life of a professional athlete.. slap on the wrists

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:47 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Nope, just the life of a professional athlete.. slap on the wrists
This is the US. Slaps on the wrist are par for the course for DUIs. Professional athlete or not.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:45 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
The penalties for DUI vary from county to county, etc. A year probation is a pretty standard punishment for a 1st offense (even being superdrunk) here in MI. With probation Riley's gonna have to do his drinking earlier in the day from now on!

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:10 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
This is the US. Slaps on the wrist are par for the course for DUIs. Professional athlete or not.
There's a double standard for sure. Any regular Joe would find themselves in FAR more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
The penalties for DUI vary from county to county, etc. A year probation is a pretty standard punishment for a 1st offense (even being superdrunk) here in MI. With probation Riley's gonna have to do his drinking earlier in the day from now on!
Given his age, it is common to lose one's license. I have a relative that lost hers on a first offense, with a BAC 33% lower. Additionally, he has an alcohol related incident on his record already. It varies by county as you said, and also by judge within a county even, but he could not have hoped for a better outcome. This is as good as it was going to get.... special treatment, as I would expect.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
minitrucker83

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
There's a double standard for sure. Any regular Joe would find themselves in FAR more trouble.
Usually I would agree but his punishment seems pretty average to me. First time DWI offense is a slap on the wrist just about anywhere unless you cause property damage or personal injury. Don't like to say it but I've been in his shoes except I was legal drinking age. He paid roughly 30% more in fines, ordered to do more community service(40-49hrs), both ordered to take a class, but he received one year probation less than myself. I'm not comparing 1975 to 2012 either, more like 2007 to 2012 and I'm VERY far from a professional athlete or a rich little trust fund kid.

I agree though there are a lot of factors that play into the punishment. Hopefully he pulls his head out of his anus or we may see the double standard come into play if he doesn't learn.

Last edited by minitrucker83: 12-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.
minitrucker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Anchor Town

It has nothing to do with being a professional athlete or a celebrity, it's about having the money for a good lawyer

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:38 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
It has nothing to do with being a professional athlete or a celebrity, it's about having the money for a good lawyer
In this case he got what most 1st time offenders get, really with worse community service than a lot of people get. Granted a decent amount of people wind up behind bars because they cannot pay the fine and most lose their job. However, that isn't the case with everyone and really every once in a while I think DAs make targets out of famous figures and sports people. I am not saying it always happens but everyonce in a while it seems they get an even bigger push because of who they are. It can work both ways plus nobody would be calling any of us Tinky Winky for the rest of our lives or chanting it at us if it did happen to us.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:05 AM
FissionFire

That punishment is pretty standard. No real special breaks or lawyering. You average public defender would get that result for just about anyone. Let's just hope the kid learned his lesson.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
In this case he got what most 1st time offenders get, really with worse community service than a lot of people get. Granted a decent amount of people wind up behind bars because they cannot pay the fine and most lose their job. However, that isn't the case with everyone and really every once in a while I think DAs make targets out of famous figures and sports people. I am not saying it always happens but everyonce in a while it seems they get an even bigger push because of who they are. It can work both ways plus nobody would be calling any of us Tinky Winky for the rest of our lives or chanting it at us if it did happen to us.
Lol, most people don't lose their jobs because of a DUI

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitrucker83 View Post
Usually I would agree but his punishment seems pretty average to me. First time DWI offense is a slap on the wrist just about anywhere unless you cause property damage or personal injury. Don't like to say it but I've been in his shoes except I was legal drinking age. He paid roughly 30% more in fines, ordered to do more community service(40-49hrs), both ordered to take a class, but he received one year probation less than myself. I'm not comparing 1975 to 2012 either, more like 2007 to 2012 and I'm VERY far from a professional athlete or a rich little trust fund kid.

I agree though there are a lot of factors that play into the punishment. Hopefully he pulls his head out of his anus or we may see the double standard come into play if he doesn't learn.
Michigan's "super drunk" law was passed in 2009, so the penalties Sheahan faced were much stiffer than those you did. My brother got a DUI in 2003 or 2004. It was a different ballgame then for a first time offender. My cousin was busted last year, again a first time offender, and Sheahan got off so lightly compared to her.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote