Noah Bushnell - Sun County Panthers
Sam Harding - York Simcoe
Isaak Iacobucci- Don Mills Flyers
Jamison Buck- Grey Bruce
Garrett Mcfadden- Grey Bruce
Matthew McConnach- Don Mills Flyers
Adam Mcphail- Soo thunder
Matthew Caruso- Soo Thunder
First 3 guys on your list, plus MacArthur can be first rounders.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:05 PM
PanthersFan1980

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
1. D/ Sean day
2. F/ Nikita korostelev
3. D/ zach werenski
4. F/ Travis konecny
5. F/ Mitchell stephans
6. F/ Dylan strome
7. D/ matt Spencer
8. F/ Dennis yan
9. F/ brett McKenzie
10. F/ Lawson crouse
11. D/ Troy henely
12. D/ garret McFadden
13. F/ Michael Davies
14. D/ connor Walters
15. F/ Sam Harding
16. D/ Cole mayo
17. D/ Cameron lizzote
18. D/ josh defairis
19. D/ connor schlitchling
Where did kirwan go? He's playing with 20 year olds. I don't understand why he isn't top 5.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:24 PM
mapleleaf979

IMO, Im pretty sure Josh Defarius is not a first round pick. The 2nd round is more likely in my opinion. Im still torn on Stephens vs Strome. The only thing holding me back against picking Strome over Stephens is that Stephens is the only other forward in this draft that has similar skill to Konecny. IMO, the biggest difference between Konency and STephens is consistency/hunger, not much difference in skill level. Stephens is more athletic and has more skill than Strome. Its tough. If Stephens brought the same level of play every game, his upside to me is higher. I think if u asked goalies in the AAA loop they would say they fear Stephens more. Being consistent is a skill in its own right, last year for me it was the only major difference between Mcdavid and Hosang. Everything else was basically too close to call between those 2. The top 20 should be dialed in alot more on Jan 1st.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old
12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
IMO, Im pretty sure Josh Defarius is not a first round pick. The 2nd round is more likely in my opinion. Im still torn on Stephens vs Strome. The only thing holding me back against picking Strome over Stephens is that Stephens is the only other forward in this draft that has similar skill to Konecny. IMO, the biggest difference between Konency and STephens is consistency/hunger, not much difference in skill level. Stephens is more athletic and has more skill than Strome. Its tough. If Stephens brought the same level of play every game, his upside to me is higher. I think if u asked goalies in the AAA loop they would say they fear Stephens more. Being consistent is a skill in its own right, last year for me it was the only major difference between Mcdavid and Hosang. Everything else was basically too close to call between those 2. The top 20 should be dialed in alot more on Jan 1st.
The challenge in picking 15 year olds in a draft, eh? Kids all mature at different times....compete levels will change iver the next few years, who is the better athlete today may not be tomorrow based on work ethic, etc.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Good points ! I think teams are still questioning what position they will finish and which players are available. Do teams mid to bottom not look at the top kids based on the fact they assume they will be gone, or will there me some draft manipulation ?

Old
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
PanthersFan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
One player out of the equation is Lawson Crouse from EMC. He supports a strong player like Konecny. Stephens misses that and seems to have found his place as a two way shut down Centre with two punishing wingers. Strome counters with finesse and two wingers who support him offensively. It will be up to the teams to find the right fit and bring these strenghts out.
Just for fun, if the league finished now !
1. Petes - Sean Day (has met with Branch, only concern is psyc test)
2. Ottawa - Dylan Strome, replacement for Monahan. Need offense
3. Erie - Zach Wierenski - Best D available
4. Sudbury - Travis Konency - fits Sudbury styke, great fit
5. Saginaw - Mitchell Stephens - Need of a Centremen, next best.
6. Soo - Blake Speers - local kid
7. Kingston - Michael Davie - Centre to help with fwd depth
8. N.Bay - Matt Spencer D
9. Plymouth - Brett MacKenzie
10.Sarnia - Denis Yan - connection with Cicerelli and Galchynuk
11.Belleville - Kyle Capobianco - big ice service, great skating D
12.Missis - Troy Henley - D
13. Oshawa - Lawson Crouse - will compliment Delle Colle
14. Guelph - Cameron Lizotte D
15. Niagara - Sam Harding
16. Kitchener - Cole Mayo D
17. Barrie - tyler MacArthur - local D
18. Owen Sound - Haydon McCool
19. London - Luke Kirwin connection
What do you mean kirwan connection?

Old
12-17-2012, 09:06 PM
chewerjones

2) Ottawa- Dylan Strome- Need to replace Monahan. Need Offence.

If Ottawa needs offence, and have 2nd pick in the draft, Strome is not your man. Konecny playing with Salituro , wow. If Korostolev is eligible, then he is the man.

Like I said before, Strome and Stephens are not top 5 picks.

JMO

Old
12-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
2) Ottawa- Dylan Strome- Need to replace Monahan. Need Offence.

If Ottawa needs offence, and have 2nd pick in the draft, Strome is not your man. Konecny playing with Salituro , wow. If Korostolev is eligible, then he is the man.

Like I said before, Strome and Stephens are not top 5 picks.

JMO
That's what people thought a few years ago about Ryan Strome. Alan Quine went second overall. Couldn't carry Ryan's stick for him then or now. Dylan Strome is a top 5 pick.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:45 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
That's what people thought a few years ago about Ryan Strome. Alan Quine went second overall. Couldn't carry Ryan's stick for him then or now. Dylan Strome is a top 5 pick.
That Marlie team was loaded with first round players, and Strome may have been there best. Quine wasnt a top 5 pick back then, and we now know why.

Picking Strome in top 5, will be compared to picking Cornel 3rd overall.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
skating101

Quote:
That Marlie team was loaded with first round players, and Strome may have been there best. Quine wasnt a top 5 pick back then, and we now know why.

I'm having a very hard time seeing 5 teams pass on Strome too much padigree there.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:45 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
I'm having a very hard time seeing 5 teams pass on Strome too much padigree there.
Alot of Marlies' supporters believe that Stephens is the better player? So if Strome goes in top 5, then Stephens goes in top 5??

I have always said that the best talent is in the GTHL, year in and year out, but I think this year it is the OMHA and Alliance, except for Day and Korostolev, if both granted OHL eligibility.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Cornel's work ethic had people sold on him. I personally never liked that pick right from the start because of the competition Cornel' faced, it was far below the GTHL, which was superior last year to any of the other AAA leagues. He appeared better than he was. I gotta disagree with u on the Strome and Cornel comparison. Strome is better than u think, imo. He will be an asset on the PP in the OHL and has many similar traits that Dal Colle has. Very, very similar players. Sure his feet need to improve a tad, but he is pretty consistent. Strome is one of the best playmakers in this draft. The top 5 may have 3 kids that play south of the border. I agree that 5th is probably the earliest he would go though.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:23 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Alot of Marlies' supporters believe that Stephens is the better player? So if Strome goes in top 5, then Stephens goes in top 5??

I have always said that the best talent is in the GTHL, year in and year out, but I think this year it is the OMHA and Alliance, except for Day and Korostolev, if both granted OHL eligibility.
Stephens has teams that love him and others I think have certain concerns about where he will be in the next few years. He has not progressed alot in the last year from my perspective. Thats a little worrisome. The thing about Stephens that draws you in is that "sports car kick" he has. Is he bored? Is he plateaued? The next few months will answer this. He is very unpredictable some games. The importance of the Marlies Classic tourney and the consistent effort through the GTHL playoffs and OHL cup is massive. Work ethic and dealing with pressure is a massive piece to where your drafted.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:40 PM
mapleleaf979

The rink is going to be packed for the Jr Canadiens first game at the Marlies Classic. I personally can not wait for this game. Korostelev apparently everything is going well with his wrist, I dont think he will skip a beat. I was standing on Friday night watching the Marlies game 3-4 weeks ago with one of the head coaches of a minor midget AAA team in the GTHL, (not the JRC coach). He fully endorses Nikita as well as one of the top picks in the draft. Lawson Crouse is going to be a very high pick, imo.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:27 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
The rink is going to be packed for the Jr Canadiens first game at the Marlies Classic. I personally can not wait for this game. Korostelev apparently everything is going well with his wrist, I dont think he will skip a beat. I was standing on Friday night watching the Marlies game 3-4 weeks ago with one of the head coaches of a minor midget AAA team in the GTHL, (not the JRC coach). He fully endorses Nikita as well as one of the top picks in the draft. Lawson Crouse is going to be a very high pick, imo.
Cant wait for the tourny, especially if the big K is going to play.

In past years, the GTHL players seem to gain stride down the stretch to the OHL draft, and hopefully Stephens and Strome can produce. It seems clear that their team has picked it up since the first few weeks in the year. Alot of the Marlie supporting staff will also get more recognition, as with last year's team. That will be a good thing for the 2 top players on the team, but it may also detract from their individual abilities and recognition.

I see that problem happening with Addison this year. He has not lived up to his billing this year, and may have been more of a product of his environment, rather than a star on his own.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:15 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

In past years, the GTHL players seem to gain stride down the stretch to the OHL draft, and hopefully Stephens and Strome can produce. It seems clear that their team has picked it up since the first few weeks in the year. Alot of the Marlie supporting staff will also get more recognition, as with last year's team. That will be a good thing for the 2 top players on the team, but it may also detract from their individual abilities and recognition.

I see that problem happening with Addison this year. He has not lived up to his billing this year, and may have been more of a product of his environment, rather than a star on his own.
I was told 2 weeks ago, it was possible Korostelev would get in a game before the tourney. Maybe this Sunday... Jr Canadiens vs Senators.

Thats one reason I feel for Cornel. The team atmosphere in Peterbourough is not helping him get comfortable. Im hoping he can finish strong, give him confidence over the summer.

I hope the semi's @ the Marlies Classic are:

(1) Oakville Rangers vs London jr knights vs Soo thunder

(2)Toronto Marlboros vs Elgin Middlesex.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:02 AM
wingman22

Teams will take a player in the Top Rounds based on what they see with some projection as to what they may be in a few years. There are players who will go in the first round that have clearly put themeseleves ahead of others, that is why we are talking about them now. We also provide some strenghts and highlite the weakesses of these players i.e Stromes vision vs his foot work. Stephens speed vs. boredom/consistancy, "the Big K" great shot vs defensive play ( still feel he will not be eligible to enter OHL draft ).

Teams drafting in later rounds 3-15 will take a player on projection. These players may end up being better then the Top Picks. Every year Fans and Teams question there selections in the Top Rounds, some happy and some dissapointed.

At the end of the day the players mentioned, most if not all will be first rounders. What they do with them when they are in the organization will matter. eg. Josh Ho-Sang made more turnovers in one shift then the team would make in a game. However Windsor looked at his his strenghts, worked on his weaknesses and he is getting better every game.

Strome has better vision then 70 % of OHLers at this point. Stephens skates better then 70 % at this point. NK has a release better then most and Sean Day could probably play today.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

Good chance Stephens goes top 5 as well. Just depends on how many U.S. players get picked.

Last edited by Luvtowatch: 12-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old
12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:

Addison has a great shot. Great release. That's it. Doesn't pass the puck, at all. Looked great last year with the boys who were feeding him. I thought all along taking him that high was a reach.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:45 AM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Good chance Stephens goes top 5 as well. Just depends on how many U.S. players get picked.
I had Stephens as a lock for top 5 pick at the start of the season.

Right now the strong play of Konecny, Strome, Korostolev, Crouse, Kirwin and Yan are all threatening his chances as a top 5 forward.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
skating101

Quote:
I was told 2 weeks ago, it was possible Korostelev would get in a game before the tourney. Maybe this Sunday... Jr Canadiens vs Senators.

Thats one reason I feel for Cornel. The team atmosphere in Peterbourough is not helping him get comfortable. Im hoping he can finish strong, give him confidence over the summer.

I hope the semi's @ the Marlies Classic are:

(1) Oakville Rangers vs London jr knights vs Soo thunder

(2)Toronto Marlboros vs Elgin Middlesex.
That would be a great semi! also really looking forward to watching Korostelev play and see what all the hype is about.

On a previous post you predict Oakville winning and they are probably due and agree team chemistry is vital. Marlies and Elgin may not be as deep but the one thing they have over Oakville is the experience their core players bring winning big games.

Marlies and Elgin teams are equally talented but Marlie HC failure to see his son's true limitation will cost them their tournament.

I predict Elgin Middlesex as Defending Champs!

Old
12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Just an update on Zach Werenski ( 6-2, 200 )
Detriot Little Ceasers Midget Major.
He is the only 97 born player on the team. Several 94, 95, 96 birth years.
30 Games played. 13 goals, 18 assists, 31 points.
The next highest scoring Defenseman have 18 points(95 birth year) and 12 points(96 birth year)

Im pretty sure he goes #2 or #3 this year, depending on team needs and who will or wont report to your team. The success he is having playing with a league full of 94's, 95's is extremely impressive and should eliminate any worry about how this kid will adapt next year, assuming 100% he enters the OHL draft. I believe a team like Erie would select him over Konecny.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
That would be a great semi! also really looking forward to watching Korostelev play and see what all the hype is about.

On a previous post you predict Oakville winning and they are probably due and agree team chemistry is vital. Marlies and Elgin may not be as deep but the one thing they have over Oakville is the experience their core players bring winning big games.

Marlies and Elgin teams are equally talented but Marlie HC failure to see his son's true limitation will cost them their tournament.

I predict Elgin Middlesex as Defending Champs!
Marlies HC actually thinks his kid is a player. LOL

Old
12-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Just an update on Zach Werenski ( 6-2, 200 )
Detriot Little Ceasers Midget Major.
He is the only 97 born player on the team. Several 94, 95, 96 birth years.
30 Games played. 13 goals, 18 assists, 31 points.
The next highest scoring Defenseman have 18 points(95 birth year) and 12 points(96 birth year)

Im pretty sure he goes #2 or #3 this year, depending on team needs and who will or wont report to your team. The success he is having playing with a league full of 94's, 95's is extremely impressive and should eliminate any worry about how this kid will adapt next year, assuming 100% he enters the OHL draft. I believe a team like Erie would select him over Konecny.
Thanks for the update. Werenski sounds like a solid bet to go 2nd overall (should Day be granted exceptional status). Shouldn't hurt on how well he played with Belle Tire '96 last year against the likes of McDavid. Ho-Sang, McKeown, etc.

Closed Thread