HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers Caps

Old
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

vCash: 500
"And the first round selection from the 2013 draft goes to........the Edmonton Oilers!"

(Howson breaks down crying)

Nathan MacKinnon, welcome to Edmonton....hahahah

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:04 PM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
If I was going to give up a first for a goalie it would be for Schneider.
You'd be giving up a lot more than a first.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Roof Daddy

I wouldn't do this deal even if the pick was 30th. Remind me how he is an upgrade on Dubnyk? Similar calibre, sure, but I don't see an upgrade. Why not roll with Danis, or some other bargain basement backup instead of parting with a 1st in a deep draft. The kid has some upside, but it is a completely unnecessary deal.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
LOL this reminds me of one of those times I came home from the bar and put up a proposal that made no sense the next day.

Why on earth does Edmonton cough up their first rounder for a backup goalie? Yes, a backup.

Neuvirth had worse stats playing for a much better team last year than Dubnyk. Significantly worse when you consider the fact that Edmonton's weakness was their blueline and that's the one surefire way to send a goalie's stats to hell.

How on earth do you figure that we'll get 20th-30th overall? Rolling the dice? That makes no sense at all. We could end up getting 1st, 5th, 10th or even 30th. Why would we offer any more than a 2nd for Neuvirth given the circumstances?

We'd even be crazy to offer up our 2014 1st rounder, because our blueline is still in need of help and there are some people out there who're not sold on Gagner being able to deliver a high enough quality performance playing with Hemsky and Yakupov to silence the matter on our depth at center.

Given how Scultz has played like a God, I'm now convinced that we've got 3 top 4 d-men on our team.

Nick Schultz is a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener. I'm sure he'd be effective with Justin Schultz given the styles of game the two both play.

Whitney can not be counted as a top 4 d-man again, yet. We need to first see which Ryan Whitney we're going to get. Is it going to be the withered and injury-prone one we've come to know since he first showed up in Edmonton or is it going to be the guy who put up 38+ points only TWO times in his entire career while playing for the Penguins? I think it's crazy to buy into the idea that we're going to be getting the later.

Past Schultz and Whitney our depth on the blueline is pathetic when it comes to NHL ready d-men. Sutton is done and that leaves the dreadful options of Corry Potter and Theo Peckham.

No. We're not giving up our 2013 first rounder for anything short of a clear overpayment which has the opposite team taking more risk than we are and NO we're not giving up our 2014 first rounder unless we're getting something in return which significantly enhances our current roster.

oilersfan11, you've posted more than 8K times on these boards now. You've read and created millions of proposals. I don't doubt that you've watched hundreds or maybe even thousands of hockey games. It's time to put this knowledge and experience to use so that people who read your proposals can get something more out of it than a cheap laugh or moment which can only be described as "facepalm".

Last edited by thadd: 12-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:57 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
"And the first round selection from the 2013 draft goes to........the Edmonton Oilers!"

(Howson breaks down crying)

Nathan MacKinnon, welcome to Edmonton....hahahah
LOL I'd seriously feel bad for Howson if we snubbed Columbus AGAIN and got the 1st overall pick. We don't even know how they're going to do the next draft lottery, but that would be incredibly hilarious if we got another 1st overall pick.

Being an avid HF poster, I'd almost dread drafting Mackinnon. All of the anti-Oil trolling for 4 consecutive first overall picks and then on top of that all of the Hemsky + Gagner + 2014 1st round pick proposals for a gamec-hanger of a top 4 d-man and a good backup goalie.

I can't count how many people I know who're offended by Edmonton getting away with three straight first round picks. A forth would be simply scary.

I kinda doubt there are any teams out there with 4 first overall picks, because they'd be so far up against the cap. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of a team with three first overall picks other than Edmonton.

Yes, you always want to go BPA, but this would really be one of those times that Oil fans would feel very comfortable with the 2nd overall pick, because they'd know that their blueline was taken care of.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:07 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If the draft position is known to be in the first half of the 1st round, sure. If it's a drawing (in which Edmonton is likely a later pick) or known to be a later pick, I would abstain for now.

Pretty much every UFA goaltender is either over the hill or garbage. While some of the 35+ guys could fill in for Holtby for a season or two, if Holtby falters and we don't have Neuvirth we could be in trouble. Grubauer is still only proven in the ECHL, and while I personally believe he will reach the NHL, he still has a ways to go.
Sabourin would be the backup over Grubauer if we made the trade, but Grubauer could be a really good backup in a couple of years.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:06 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
You'd be giving up a lot more than a first.
The Oilers are never trading for Schneider.The guy doesn't ever want to be a Oiler,and he clearly said this awhile back.

"Nobody cares about Edmonton,so nobody hates them.It's that simple."

Don't ever expect Cory Schnieder to come to Edmonton.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:51 AM
roboninja
EYG

Hell no. Trade a 1st for a goalie that's statistically worse than the one we just gave 3 years of starting money to? Unfathomable.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:01 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Hell no. Trade a 1st for a goalie that's statistically worse than the one we just gave 3 years of starting money to? Unfathomable.
I don't know what the heck your talking about,Michal Neuvirth has put up better numbers than Dubnyk in his career.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:02 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers are never trading for Schneider.The guy doesn't ever want to be a Oiler,and he clearly said this awhile back.

^lol, and you wonder why most of Canada was cheering for the Bruins in the cup finals a few years ago? the funniest thing about that statement is that nobody cares about Vancouver either! i hope Schneider gets absolutely shelled in Vancouver, especially without Luongo around to save his bacon!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:

this is a clear case of a comment taken out of context.

where in that does he state he never wants to be an Oiler or ever go there? c'mon, really?

picking a quote and twisting its meaning to suit your agenda...nice.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Sabourin would be the backup over Grubauer if we made the trade, but Grubauer could be a really good backup in a couple of years.
I think your post says all that needs to be said. We'd have Danny Sabourin as our back-up goaltender. No good.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:31 AM
supert

Quote:
To Oilers
Michal Neuvirth

To Caps
2013 1st round pick
Not a chance the Oilers do this . They signed DD and are paying him as # 1 . Second we do not know where we are drafting . We could be 10 OA and get that big #2 center we need . Even if we draft late a player rated much higher could get sick or injured and drop in the draft . We seen this 2 years in a roll first with Couts and then with Yaks side kick . a 5 year plan does not need to be rushed when we are now in year 4 . We suffered threw it this long might as well wait and have a team that can contend for 10 plus years

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
LOL this reminds me of one of those times I came home from the bar and put up a proposal that made no sense the next day.

Why on earth does Edmonton cough up their first rounder for a backup goalie? Yes, a backup.

Neuvirth had worse stats playing for a much better team last year than Dubnyk. Significantly worse when you consider the fact that Edmonton's weakness was their blueline and that's the one surefire way to send a goalie's stats to hell.

How on earth do you figure that we'll get 20th-30th overall? Rolling the dice? That makes no sense at all. We could end up getting 1st, 5th, 10th or even 30th. Why would we offer any more than a 2nd for Neuvirth given the circumstances?

We'd even be crazy to offer up our 2014 1st rounder, because our blueline is still in need of help and there are some people out there who're not sold on Gagner being able to deliver a high enough quality performance playing with Hemsky and Yakupov to silence the matter on our depth at center.

Given how Scultz has played like a God, I'm now convinced that we've got 3 top 4 d-men on our team.

Nick Schultz is a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener. I'm sure he'd be effective with Justin Schultz given the styles of game the two both play.

Whitney can not be counted as a top 4 d-man again, yet. We need to first see which Ryan Whitney we're going to get. Is it going to be the withered and injury-prone one we've come to know since he first showed up in Edmonton or is it going to be the guy who put up 38+ points only TWO times in his entire career while playing for the Penguins? I think it's crazy to buy into the idea that we're going to be getting the later.

Past Schultz and Whitney our depth on the blueline is pathetic when it comes to NHL ready d-men. Sutton is done and that leaves the dreadful options of Corry Potter and Theo Peckham.

No. We're not giving up our 2013 first rounder for anything short of a clear overpayment which has the opposite team taking more risk than we are and NO we're not giving up our 2014 first rounder unless we're getting something in return which significantly enhances our current roster.

oilersfan11, you've posted more than 8K times on these boards now. You've read and created millions of proposals. I don't doubt that you've watched hundreds or maybe even thousands of hockey games. It's time to put this knowledge and experience to use so that people who read your proposals can get something more out of it than a cheap laugh or moment which can only be described as "facepalm".
Well said . I 100 % agree with ever word you said . Be careful ,this is HF boards are we allowed to make sense ?

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I don't know what the heck your talking about,Michal Neuvirth has put up better numbers than Dubnyk in his career.
Nope. Try again skippy.

Last 2 seasons save percentage with roughly the same amount of games played....
Dubnyk - .916, .914
Neuvirth - .914, .903

And keep in mind, the level of team playing in front of them and you want to throw away a 1st rounder for a guy who will be a backup? Brilliant.
Neuvirth has some talent but he has done nothing to earn a spot over Dubnyk. Dubnyk has earned the right to get a shot at a full time #1 opportunity.
I'm not sure that he is the long term answer in Edmonton but he sure is underrated around here.

Last edited by CupofOil: 12-19-2012 at 09:50 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Using only last year:
Neuvirth
GP W L OT Min. GA SA GAA PCT SO
38 13 13 5 2020 95 976 2.82 .903 3

Dubnyk
GP W L OT Min. GA SA GAA PCT SO
47 20 20 3 2653 118 1380 2.67 .914 2

Can you point out where I was wrong? I'll admit "comparable" might have been a more apt descriptor than "better", but I see no upgrade there. If anything it is a downgrade, and we send a 1st rounder? That's insane.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
vespa99

Quote:
To Oilers
Michal Neuvirth

To Caps
2013 1st round pick

You are only 3 threads away from having proposed every possible trade permutation the Oilers could physically make. Im rooting for you.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

I think Neuvirth's getting a bum rap here. His season this year was hampered by some nagging injuries that clearly affected his play. The fact remains that he's one year removed from a 22/23 year old season in which he handled the #1 role on the top team in the Eastern Conference and won a playoff series. He also has two Calder Cups to his name as the starter in Hershey, and the Caps were (in that brief moment before Vokoun offered them a deal they couldn't refuse) confident enough in him to trade Varlamov and make Neuvy the future of the franchise. Naturally, those injuries and the effect they had this year are a concern, but Neuvy is certainly a guy who would compete with Dubnyk for the starting job and would provide significant insurance in case he doesn't develop into a #1 for whatever reason. Keep in mind, Neuvy's a full two years younger, so he's got some more room to grow. Whether or not you guys are willing to use a first to shore up the goalie position that way is up for debate, but I don't think a lot of you have the right idea about Neuvirth and his value as an asset.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:48 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
this is a clear case of a comment taken out of context.

where in that does he state he never wants to be an Oiler or ever go there? c'mon, really?

picking a quote and twisting its meaning to suit your agenda...nice.
Nobody cares about Edmonton.Are you kidding me Booyakasha?,when you say nobody cares about a city your basically including yourself in that statement.It's as clear as can be that he doesn't want to be in Edmonton ever.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:52 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
You are only 3 threads away from having proposed every possible trade permutation the Oilers could physically make. Im rooting for you.
Well,here's a question for you,what are you supposed to do on a hockey site when there's no hockey?

My answer

Post wacky NHL proposals

Old
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Nobody cares about Edmonton.Are you kidding me Booyakasha?,when you say nobody cares about a city your basically including yourself in that statement.It's as clear as can be that he doesn't want to be in Edmonton ever.
That doesnt mean this quote is not taken out of context.. I believe the question asked to him was something along the lines of why fans of canadian teams hate the canucks and not the Oilers..

nobody cared about Edmonton because they are a basement team while the Canucks are contenders and was the team to beat in west.

"You look around the league and people donít like us and Pittsburgh and weíre two of the better teams. You saw Darcy (Hordichuk) and Ben Eager in Edmonton. Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. Itís that simple"

Schneider shouldve said Penguins and Oilers instead of Pittsburg and Edmonton but other than that there is nothing wrong with his quote.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I think your post says all that needs to be said. We'd have Danny Sabourin as our back-up goaltender. No good.
Is there some new CBA rule stopping us from getting backup goaltenders?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Well,here's a question for you,what are you supposed to do on a hockey site when there's no hockey?

My answer

Post wacky NHL proposals
my suggestion : add some reasoning in OP to the proposals you make.

EDM is no position to roll with 2x 3M+ goalies.. Giving up a 1st in a deep draft to fill a non essential hole is not very smart in terms of management.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

This is why i love him so much, we share the same opinion

but seriously, if we kept Luongo, i could see Cory be willing to go anywhere he could be starter, first wont cut it though. Quote was out of contex as well, just made me lol though.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Stop making ridiculous amounts of trade proposals. You're not only annoying Oiler fans, but fans of other teams as well.

Easy no from the Oilers. I'm not giving a potentially high 1st for a guy who's likely going to be a backup.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote