HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lockout Thread #4: Tentative agreement!

View Poll Results: Will there be a short nhl season this year
Yes 49 43.36%
No 64 56.64%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 08:16 AM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Just reading on Twitter that Michel Bergeron has said a deal has been done and the season will start on Jan 1st... great if it's true.

"Fred Poulin ‏@FredPoulin98

According to Michel Bergeron, it is a done deal between the #NHL and the #NHLPA! The season would start on January 1st. #NHLlockout #CBA"
That's quite the claim but I'm not believing it until I see it. You would have to think he's 100% or else he will lose all credibility.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
just saw a picture of Evaner Kane admiring his big stacks of money in Vegas.
nice job, pal. good to remind us how well you have it and why many fans are not supporting the players. he sure showed us why the players need a better deal. look how poor they are.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/19...ng-nhl-lockout

Old
12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
just saw a picture of Evaner Kane admiring his big stacks of money in Vegas.
nice job, pal. good to remind us how well you have it and why many fans are not supporting the players. he sure showed us why the players need a better deal. look how poor they are.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/19...ng-nhl-lockout

Winning the hearts and minds ...

I feel bad for Jets fans.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Winning the hearts and minds ...

I feel bad for Jets fans.
thanks for taking the time to imbed the pic. i forgot to do so.
you'd think the first thing any union mangement would do is tell their players to shut up and not do crap like this. ticks the fans off more than anything else I can think of. especially when it's an egotistical, entitled player who is getting 30 million dollars and hasn't done anything yet to earn it. 30 million. yeah you sure are getting treated like cattle. poor babies.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I am a little surprised at how strong my feelings of apathy are right now. I suppose last time I never really expected they'd be stupid enough to cancel a whole season so I was much more interested in the process that eventually led to the deal. I was pissed when they actually canceled the year.

This time, I know they are stupid enough to cancel a season, and I strongly suspect they are stupid enough to go nuclear and potentially cancel more than one. Are the NHL and players really willing to blow it all up after 7 years of increasing revenue, and exceptional parity which was leading to major US media markets gaining some real traction(Bos, Chi, LA all with cups, NYR and Phil both top teams)? I suppose the possibility of that happening probably explains why I have mostly stopped paying attention to the petty bickering and idiocy from both sides. If they get a deal done, great. But I don't expect them to.

On that pic, Kane is an idiot. I don't know how he thought a picture like that would get himself or the players good publicity. Super skilled player, but he's starting to look like a bit of a diva.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
On that pic, Kane is an idiot. I don't know how he thought a picture like that would get himself or the players good publicity. Super skilled player, but he's starting to look like a bit of a diva.
Starting to look like a diva?

It's interesting to see the attitudes where
a) one third of the teams are losing money
b) the players are crying that they are being treated like cattle
c) when other players go overseas to take jobs from other lesser players
d) and then Evander Kane is holding up piles of money

Tell me again who is feeling entitled? I haven't paid for a hockey ticket in five years because I find the prices are simply too high. I haven't regretted that decision.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Perfect_Drug

That NHL CBA was great n' all, but the MLB CBA was the greatest of all time!!!!!

Old
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
So the owners in the NHL are all going to sell their clubs to a single entity? Not bloody likely.
You must have missed my post earlier... it's easily done. All that is required is to have the NHL owners receive shares in the amalgmated league. Say Toronto's owner receives 11% stake the league, the CBJ owner receives 3%, etc. All of this is based on their current "franchise value" today. Every owner shares in the growth of the league. If the relative contribution to league value changes, it is relatively easy to assign a given owner additional shares as a bonus so that his overall stake in the league increases.

Owners of rich teams may go for it because they'll get a larger stake of the league and presumably a greater say in league decisions.
Poorer owners go for it because their downside is eliminated in an (overall) profitable league.
Both ownership camps (and everyone in the middle) go for it because they get absolute cost containment by assigning a salary grid.

Players can't complain about antitrust/monopoly because it is a single entity, multinational league that has competition from 3rd party international leagues (KHL, SEL, etc). They could argue there is no domestic competition, but given how many players have immigrated to NA to play in the NHL, the argument that there should be guaranteed domestic competition would fall on deaf ears... international relocation and travel is at the very heart of the pro athlete profession.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I see a pic like that and the first thing that I think is that he wants the ladies to know that he's rich so he can have them swarm him (obviously in Winnipeg most people know who he is, but not in the US). Other than that I'm not sure why he'd do that and I'm pretty sure that many of his fellow NHLPA members aren't all too pleased with that pic being tweeted.

12-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Somebody with some credibility needs to debunk that Bergie quote quick fast, before the wednesday optimism runs away with itself...

Old
12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I see a pic like that and the first thing that I think is that he wants the ladies to know that he's rich so he can have them swarm him (obviously in Winnipeg most people know who he is, but not in the US). Other than that I'm not sure why he'd do that and I'm pretty sure that many of his fellow NHLPA members aren't all too pleased with that pic being tweeted.
I think he discovered the key to meeting ladies while keeping on sweatpants. Stacks of money. Kudos Evander.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
rookie boy

Here is what I don't understand...

When the Owners set out their first proposal, of course you knew the Players reaction's would be pretty negative about money loss. Understandable, and the start of the negotiation process.

If money was still this large chasm and a huge gulf, then I can see this process of DOI and actually preparing for this fight that will most likely cancel the season.

But the money part has actually been negotiated. Make whole, HRR, both sides are now comfortable with the numbers.

So now you are going to this entire F%#* up process over contract length?? Length of CBA?? Is that what you are willing to loose the rest of this and possibly the next season over?

I still can't believe it. The money part is settled (if the players accepted the three Owner stipulations).

This to me is like the financial part of the Arena deal getting finalized between Katz and the City, and then falling apart over the name of the building.

To partially quote the movie The Rainmaker, "you (the players) are stupid, stupid, stupid"

Old
12-19-2012, 12:55 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

I get being young, having money, and being goofy. Have some smarts though. Don't take that pic with the risk of it being posted at a time like this. Not good for PR.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
can't help their cause when they are supposed to be the downtrodden serfs who just want what's fair, and a non-star is able to hang in vegas despite 3 months without a paycheque and have huge wads of cash. With 700 players there is always a significant number of idiots who help defeat the cause of the union. they can't help themselves, and many of them have forgotten what regular joes lives are like.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Nah, his fellow PA members aren't pleased about his clothes. They have the same piles of money, but they think he could afford nicer clothes.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
AM

Cattle do like the green stuff.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I get being young, having money, and being goofy. Have some smarts though. Don't take that pic with the risk of it being posted at a time like this. Not good for PR.
It would be one thing if someone took it and posted it without his knowledge.

Kane tweeted the picture out himself.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:59 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
.....many of them have forgotten what regular joes lives are like.
What do you mean forgotten. These are kids who have been pampered and put through "the system" since they were 14. I'd bet a good portion of these children have never had a job beyond a paper route... they didn't even make it to the "flipping burgers so I can buy a sega game" stage of self-reliance.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Musashi

Maybe he had a couple drinks before taking that pic . Not a smart move but its not the first time a 21 year old did something stupid. No reason to jump down his throat and to be fair I thought it was a pretty funny tweet directed at mayweather.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:10 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
When the Owners set out their first proposal, of course you knew the Players reaction's would be pretty negative about money loss. Understandable, and the start of the negotiation process.

If money was still this large chasm and a huge gulf, then I can see this process of DOI and actually preparing for this fight that will most likely cancel the season.

But the money part has actually been negotiated. Make whole, HRR, both sides are now comfortable with the numbers.

So now you are going to this entire F%#* up process over contract length?? Length of CBA?? Is that what you are willing to loose the rest of this and possibly the next season over?

I still can't believe it. The money part is settled (if the players accepted the three Owner stipulations).

This to me is like the financial part of the Arena deal getting finalized between Katz and the City, and then falling apart over the name of the building.

To partially quote the movie The Rainmaker, "you (the players) are stupid, stupid, stupid"
While in part I agree with you... contract length = numbers for a good number of guys in the league. At the level just below the star player (think Mike Fisher, Malholtra, Volchenkov etc)... any guy who comes to UFA at a moment when they are among the best at their role... they are 27... they may only have 3 more years (or even two), contract lenght and spreading cap hit over it is the best way for them to get a big payday.

If contracts are capped, it becomes that much more difficult to pay Volchenkov $4M/year... paying a generational talent cap-max over 10 years allows you to pay elite talent near top-dollar over 7 years, which in turn allows you to pay decent players $4M x 5 years.... that flexibility just trickles down and allows you to drive salaries up.

The owners know this... that's why they see it as a major cost-containment factor.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:15 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
It would be one thing if someone took it and posted it without his knowledge.

Kane tweeted the picture out himself.
Good god. Ok this guy is not very intelligent. I don't care if I do not know him personally. He posts that under these circumstances? That is just LOL

Old
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
TowMater14

**** off Shawn Horcoff!

Old
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Do we know what the owners have proposed for revenue sharing?

If the Forbes article is true, and half the teams are losing money, and 3 teams are responsible for 83% (!!!!!!) of revenue, that's a critical part to both owners and players and quite frankly, I'm a little confused on where that fits in.

Edit: Tencer tweeted that Daly just appeared on HNIC Radio and said no reason to meet, still far apart on some key issues.

Edit 2: When Friedman asked Daly if there would be a season, he said yes.

Last edited by dustrock: 12-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
What do you mean forgotten. These are kids who have been pampered and put through "the system" since they were 14. I'd bet a good portion of these children have never had a job beyond a paper route... they didn't even make it to the "flipping burgers so I can buy a sega game" stage of self-reliance.
I hate to say it, but a lot of NHL players grew up in above average income families, or well above average income. They've always had the top gear, top training, been treated like stars since they were 14 like you said. They've probably never had a crappy summer job as a teenager, went to the best golf courses to yuck it up with the "boys".

Different from the NBA or NFL (which got their labour disputes settled earlier) where a lot of those athletes might be more appreciative of the money they now have after growing up in tougher situations. When you go from the bottom to the top they probably realized how lucky they were to find themselves being paid handsomely to play a sport.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Do we know what the owners have proposed for revenue sharing?

If the Forbes article is true, and half the teams are losing money, and 3 teams are responsible for 83% (!!!!!!) of revenue, that's a critical part to both owners and players and quite frankly, I'm a little confused on where that fits in.

Edit: Tencer tweeted that Daly just appeared on HNIC Radio and said no reason to meet, still far apart on some key issues.

Edit 2: When Friedman asked Daly if there would be a season, he said yes.

Either the NHL or the NHLPA is going to cave in then on their demands.

Closed Thread