Notices

Tracking the Locked Out Jets

Old
12-19-2012, 12:46 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
This is obviously the ugly part of social media. I still can't understand the concept of caring about someones life (that you don't know) that much to want to know about their everyday activities. People give up their privacy way to easily nowadays IMO. I've never been into the whole gossip and drama lifestyle, so I guess I find it less than amusing.
Its funny that you say that, since you've been on this board talking about this for the last while...

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I find his sweatpants the most distasteful part of the picture.

HUGE non-issue for me. As long as he makes time for training I'm fine with him doing this stuff.
I was thinking the same thing.

You're in Vegas with tonnes of money and you're wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt?

He's never seen Swingers because that is not money.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Kane isn't hurting anyone or bullying anyone. That is a terrible analogy.

The moral and ethical issue at hand is: a) a matter of opinion b) not a major issue

It is fine and dandy that you hate society, but Kane isn't a major offender by any standards. So long as Kane isn't hurting people I really don't give a flying fart what he does.
You think this was necessary? I may not like certain things, but that doesn't mean I hate everything in society.

My analogy was hyperbolized just to give an idea that there is no such thing as little or big when it comes to poor ethics. You're either ethical or not. It's black and white. This also isn't his first misstep either. He's shown more than once where his heads at. Being a repeat offender of stupidity must bother the organization. They want solid players with good character.

Why do you feel the need to defend Kane?

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Its funny that you say that, since you've been on this board talking about this for the last while...
I find it funny when people make excuses for people they don't know. Care to share?

Old
12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
JetsHomer

I find it funny when people bash on people they don't know. Care to share?

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
PensFan6687

It's stuff like this that makes me miss the Moose. Guys playing for the love of the game... it was affordable hockey and you never saw your players do that. Not saying there aren't dinks at that level, but the spoiled brat level is just no where near in sight like the NHL. Yes, I get that 85 percent of the NHL is former AHL alumni.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
You think this was necessary? I may not like certain things, but that doesn't mean I hate everything in society.

i think its the points of message board to discuss.

his opinion = kane is ok

your opinion = something different

it jsut happens that the opinion held happens to be one defendent of the player in question, no?

TSNE is welcome to build a team of good christian boys with holesome values, loving families, and wives they are faithful too. as long as that teamw ins i don't give a ****. Every player on the jets can come take a **** on my lawn for all i care as long as they provide me with entertaining hockey to watch.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I find it funny when people bash on people they don't know. Care to share?
Posting on Twitter opens him up to public scrutiny. Did you really think that trying to reverse my question would make a point? Now how about you sharing why you want to defend his activity?

Old
12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
TS Quint

I don't care about the picture. But as a Jet fan I care that Kane has shown once again that he is dumb. We just made a 6 year investment in a player who is dumb. Almost every one else would know this picture would be jumped on from all angles. But some how he is one of the very few would would post it. We signed an idiot for 6 years. Its not often idoits turn out to have great careers.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:21 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
I thought you were pretty clear in your disdain for modern society or at least the main stream media, but this issue seems to be more societal than a media. My bad if I misinterpreted or misrepresented you there.
Quote:
My analogy was hyperbolized just to give an idea that there is no such thing as little or big when it comes to poor ethics. You're either ethical or not. It's black and white. This also isn't his first misstep either. He's shown more than once where his heads at. Being a repeat offender of stupidity must bother the organization. They want solid players with good character.

Ethics are not black and white. Ethics deal with morals and morals aren't black and white. There are entire courses and books upon books dedicated to ethics. This wouldn't be needed if it was black and white. I find very few things in life are black and white outside of a chess board.

It is your opinion that Kane crossed a moral line here, many don't and won't share that view.

As for his misteps, what were they? Nothing has ever been confirmed. Nothing. Ever.
The idiot that took the "pay your bills" sign to the game apologized and his friend (the that told him bad stuff about Evander) deleted her posts off facebook.

I am not defending Evander or at least I am not trying to. I don't know Evander, nor do I want to. When it comes down to it, I really don't care what he does in his time off.

Likewise, you don't know Evander. You don't know what kind of teammate he is. You don't know anything about his character beyond what you can deduce from pictures and rumors.

Is it immoral to judge someone that you don't know without fully knowing the facts? Some would suggest yes.

This whole story is a non story IMO. Well, unless you are the players' PA association and you are trying to cry poor.

Anyways, what I am trying to say is...

Unless he is breaking the law, I don't care what Kane does I don't understand why anyone else does. So long as he scores goals and makes the Jets better, he is doing his job.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

his opinion = kane is ok

it jsut happens that the opinion held happens to be one defendent of the player in question, no?

TSNE is welcome to build a team of good christian boys with holesome values, loving families, and wives they are faithful too. as long as that teamw ins i don't give a ****. Every player on the jets can come take a **** on my lawn for all i care as long as they provide me with entertaining hockey to watch.
I don't have a problem with differing opinions or challenging an idea. I do have an issue when someone tries to paint a certain picture of me that isn't accurate.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
No jealousy here. I actually dislike money and see it for what it really is a control device. I think this type of behaviour speaks volumes about the way society views material possessions. When I was his age, we had a phrase for people taking pics doing stupid things like this, it was "heat score". I personally would love to see that money fall off that balcony, maybe it would teach him some type of lesson, but I doubt that, because he seems like the type of person that doesn't learn from their mistakes.
I disagree about money. (And also "heat score" from my understanding of the term).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Rand
So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Posting on Twitter opens him up to public scrutiny. Did you really think that trying to reverse my question would make a point? Now how about you sharing why you want to defend his activity?
Because its an absolute non factor in anyones life. It's a picture of a 21 year old with some money that they fairly and legally earned and I don't like seeing people get unfairly insulted for no reason at all.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Geez, I thought the players got hosed in the last contract. Isn't that what we've been hearing from the NHLPA?

That last contract must've been real hard on these poor guys...

Kane - what an incredibly stupid thing to do you spoiled baby. Grow Up. If I was in an industry affected by this lockout I'd be absolutely furious.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
SCP Guy

Nothing to see or worry about here IMHO.....

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

his opinion = kane is ok

My opinion is that we should leave the kid alone and avoid passing judgement on people because of their lifestyle choice. So long as Kane is living legal and he isn't hurting others, he is good in my book.

...and when I say good, I mean he is a good person. I don't know, but I won't speak out against him.

He may be a great guy, many people that know him (past coaches, teammates, etc) have said as much.

He may be a jerk, many people who don't know him have said as much.

It doesn't matter to me. The Jets don't pay him to be friendly and ultimately a little bit of arrogance can take an athlete a long long way. I want him to be a driven athlete. I want him to want to win. The rest is just noise.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I disagree about money. (And also "heat score" from my understanding of the term).
You're entitled to disagree with my own view of IOU's.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:34 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
All I see is Evander not really caring about the situation he and his bretheren are in right now. There have been hockey players who have done far worse than this. He may be socially immature and a cocky brat, but I'm certain he'll tow the party line when the season is resumed. this is barely worth recognition, never mind the argument you guys are having.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 12-19-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: keep it PG-13
DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
sully1410

Quote:

his opinion = kane is ok

I think I would take exception if he came and took a **** on my lawn...

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't have a problem with differing opinions or challenging an idea. I do have an issue when someone tries to paint a certain picture of me that isn't accurate.
I apologize. I definitely wasn't trying to do that. You had taken issue with the mains stream media, rap videos and the way society views material possessions. I was reacting to that. I interpreted your comments to be about about society as a whole.

Misinterpretation is a me problem. Again, my apologies.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Anyone upset with Kane having that much money should remember they spend hundreds on NHL hockey tickets, jerseys and merchandise...and almost universally supported Chevy re-signing him at the FA deadline for a "deal" of a contract.

EDIT - so my point is we all fund the system, which is broken. But yes, he's just being dumb.

Last edited by mzappa: 12-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:40 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the lockout due to the differences between the players and the league? The players are in the most general sense half of the problem. It's just disrespectful to those who are taking a financial hit cause of the lockout. If this picture was taken while the NHL season was going on it would just result in an article saying how much of an idiot Kane is, but this isn't the case.
My point was that the lockout is hurting arena employees (etc.) anyways. Everyone should already know that the players are ridiculously loaded and putting those people out of work (along with the owners of course). The fact Kane took a picture doesn't change that. IMO the "negotiations" over how to split up billions of dollars, traveling all around the world (I think the PA held one of their conference in Barcelona if I'm not mistaken), and now taking it all to court is far more of a slap in the face to people harmed by the lockout than a picture posted by one guy with little involvement in the lockout. Hence my statement that anyone really offended by this must not have much perspective on the lockout to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I find his sweatpants the most distasteful part of the picture.

HUGE non-issue for me. As long as he makes time for training I'm fine with him doing this stuff.
Maybe the sweats were on because he celebrated his winnings by going to the gym. Maybe the picture wasn't posted at 4AM because he out partying all night but instead because he was just getting up to work out after his winnings the afternoon/evening before. Maybe it's photoshopped and his account was hacked and he condones neither money nor Vegas nor balconies nor wearing sweatpants outside the gym.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Because its an absolute non factor in anyones life. It's a picture of a 21 year old with some money that they fairly and legally earned and I don't like seeing people get unfairly insulted for no reason at all.
No reason? He put himself out there for anyone to criticize. Either he wanted it or he was too dumb to realize it would happen. IMO The kid needs a serious head shake.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:42 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I don't care about the picture. But as a Jet fan I care that Kane has shown once again that he is dumb. We just made a 6 year investment in a player who is dumb. Almost every one else would know this picture would be jumped on from all angles. But some how he is one of the very few would would post it. We signed an idiot for 6 years. Its not often idoits turn out to have great careers.
It is possible he saw the poop storm and didn't care. It is also possible he was drinking and not thinking, but if he didn't see it coming, we already know why. Remember, he is Ray Charles (blind) to the haters.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:43 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I'd bet most hockey players are similarly dumb, at least at that age, and that you'd generally be a lot more disappointed than just this. They're not scholars, they were jocks growing up. They likely missed out on a lot of schooling (though they technically got it) because of their commitment to hockey. The only difference is some have people around them to help them mature and keep them grounded while some have people around them that encourage them to take pictures with their money.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote