HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Video Games III

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
I like that game, but it's hard to get into. If you aren't used to the style/company, I would suggest you avoid it. It takes forever to do much effectively.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

New Xbox due out by the holiday season next year.

It's about time. Consoles have been stale for the past couple years. Here's hoping it's not motion-capture centric.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:05 AM
LetsGoBears

I officially like Black Ops better then Halo4 for multiplayer, and I've always been a big Halo fan. I think the majority if not all but one Halo4 maps suck. I couldn't take it anymore after about the fifth time on some of those maps. I find all of BO's maps to almost be enjoyable at the same amount of time played. Granted there is one or two I don't like, but I don't want to shut the game off when they pop up.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Cush
-inator

Warhammer Total War?: http://www.creative-assembly.com/seg...rhammer-games/
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – 11AM GMT, December 6, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'd buy it.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Cush
-inator

Holiday Sale at GOG (ends Jan 3): 474 games on sale, daily deals

Witcher 2 is $7.50 for those that haven't played it

Last edited by Cush: 12-13-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Holiday Sale at GOG (ends Jan 3): 474 games on sale, daily deals

Witcher 2 is $7.50 for those that haven't played it
How is Witcher 2 compared to the first? I wasn't sure I'd like it when I got it but I enjoyed it.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I liked it.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Have a few DotA 2 invites, PM me if you need one.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Cush
-inator

(flash game) Dikembe Mutombo's 4 1/2 Weeks To Save The World: http://www.oldspicesavestheworld.com/

believe Steam's Winter Sale starts on the 20th

Old
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
believe Steam's Winter Sale starts on the 20th
With my current backlog, the only thing I'm looking for is Torchlight 2 for $5. I give it about 50/50 of hitting that price.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Picked up xcom over the weekend. Seems pretty cool. Anyone whose played it have any good advice?

12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Picked up xcom over the weekend. Seems pretty cool. Anyone whose played it have any good advice?
There are some basic guides out there that you can use.

Odds are, unless you're on Easy, or get really lucky, you're going to lose a country or two. You just want to make sure it's the ones you want to keep.

Here's a few basic tips.

Tactical: take your time. Make sure you're using overwatch, scouting options, and that you have a support or two. Also don't worry about losing bodies for blowing stuff up with grenades/rockets. It will save you a ton of hassle. I also encourage that if you run into a pack of things that you can't handle, back up. Don't push forward. Get behind cover and use that to your advantage. Snipers with the squad sight perk are also very useful.

In the economy part of the game, I develop satellites as fast as I can. I basically have one being built 24/7. It's the only way to save countries, and will help you in the long run. I don't go down levels in engineering, and I don't build anything but energy and uplinks until I have maxed out satellites.

I also try to get the continents that give me the best perks. Anything with engineers is a must.

On that note, Scientists are a complete waste. Research isn't worth it until later levels. I research, but I really only decide to go beam weapons or something does more damage output. I've done it with both defense and both weapons. I've found that the damage is too much to pass up early. With some of the later guys, you're going to miss a bit because they've got so much defense that you probably want to hit hard when you do actually hit. The beam weapons give you 2-5 points more based on the gun and all. You also have a ton of time to research most everything. By halfway through the game, you can pretty much outfit a good setup and not have to worry about cash if you've been cranking out the satellites. The time scales down, and you get some scientists for perks anyhow on the status Mission updates. Around mid game, you can start doing some of the armor research, but much of it isn't the be all. There are later bad guys who will kill you whether you're wearing the intro armor or whether you've got the second level. So I rather try to kill him with 6 guys with more damage than using pretty crappy weapons.

Squad wise, it really depends on your preference. I like the squad size deal, and I usually try to get that pretty soon. That makes a big difference, especially since I operate on the "if I lose one, it doesn't matter" principle and pick the higher level mission. I like getting higher ranked guys, and it helps, but you should expect in later missions to lose a guy or two unless you're lucky, or perfect. I usually try to get 2 support, 2 sniper, a heavy and an assault and then it doesn't matter. But I've also played with 3 support and 1 sniper. The support with the health packs, smoke and their other abilities are pretty critical. I also like the assault, as they have pretty good perks for your mid and late game (when more aliens are stronger, have basically one shot melee, and push into you). I'm not a big fan of the heavy, though the rockets are pretty helpful.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Cush
-inator

Old
12-18-2012, 05:46 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Thanks Chimera for that post on xcom.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
There are some basic guides out there that you can use.

Odds are, unless you're on Easy, or get really lucky, you're going to lose a country or two. You just want to make sure it's the ones you want to keep.

Here's a few basic tips.

Tactical: take your time. Make sure you're using overwatch, scouting options, and that you have a support or two. Also don't worry about losing bodies for blowing stuff up with grenades/rockets. It will save you a ton of hassle. I also encourage that if you run into a pack of things that you can't handle, back up. Don't push forward. Get behind cover and use that to your advantage. Snipers with the squad sight perk are also very useful.

In the economy part of the game, I develop satellites as fast as I can. I basically have one being built 24/7. It's the only way to save countries, and will help you in the long run. I don't go down levels in engineering, and I don't build anything but energy and uplinks until I have maxed out satellites.

I also try to get the continents that give me the best perks. Anything with engineers is a must.

On that note, Scientists are a complete waste. Research isn't worth it until later levels. I research, but I really only decide to go beam weapons or something does more damage output. I've done it with both defense and both weapons. I've found that the damage is too much to pass up early. With some of the later guys, you're going to miss a bit because they've got so much defense that you probably want to hit hard when you do actually hit. The beam weapons give you 2-5 points more based on the gun and all. You also have a ton of time to research most everything. By halfway through the game, you can pretty much outfit a good setup and not have to worry about cash if you've been cranking out the satellites. The time scales down, and you get some scientists for perks anyhow on the status Mission updates. Around mid game, you can start doing some of the armor research, but much of it isn't the be all. There are later bad guys who will kill you whether you're wearing the intro armor or whether you've got the second level. So I rather try to kill him with 6 guys with more damage than using pretty crappy weapons.

Squad wise, it really depends on your preference. I like the squad size deal, and I usually try to get that pretty soon. That makes a big difference, especially since I operate on the "if I lose one, it doesn't matter" principle and pick the higher level mission. I like getting higher ranked guys, and it helps, but you should expect in later missions to lose a guy or two unless you're lucky, or perfect. I usually try to get 2 support, 2 sniper, a heavy and an assault and then it doesn't matter. But I've also played with 3 support and 1 sniper. The support with the health packs, smoke and their other abilities are pretty critical. I also like the assault, as they have pretty good perks for your mid and late game (when more aliens are stronger, have basically one shot melee, and push into you). I'm not a big fan of the heavy, though the rockets are pretty helpful.
Good post, I would second pretty much everything but the bolded part.

Here's a few more tips:

- It's not difficult to keep all the countries, unless you're on ironman. All you have to do is dump all available resources into satellites, uplinks and nexuses for the first 3 months or so. Don't launch your satellites until right before the council report.

- Note, covering a continent with satellites gives you that continent's bonus.

- keep interceptors everywhere you have satellites, or they'll be shot down.

- keep an organized base. Adjacency bonuses are crucial.

- Thermal reactors are the most cost effective way to get power.

- best base locations are NA and Africa.

- Engineers >>> Scientists.

- don't advance the story before you're ready.

- capture live aliens. they speed up your research and you get their weapons.

- don't bother with beam weapons, go for straight plasma.

- Change your squad based on mission type(terror vs abduction vs bomb disposal, etc)

- For me the main classes are Sniper and Assault. The other 2 are more utility Support as medic, Heavy for rockets (if you get swarmed).

- Sniper with Squad Sight, Opportunist and Double Tap and plasma sniper rifle - probably best late game unit.

- Assaults are amazing and seem underrated. Best firepower, mobility, and toughness. Run and Gun + Lightning Reflexes + Rapid Fire = rush your enemies and execute them point blank. Note, assaults are not limited to shotguns.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

This topic has been bothering me for a long while.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
So discouraging. If only they had anywhere near that much interest in improving the actual gameplay/mechanics of the campaign and the AI.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
So discouraging. If only they had anywhere near that much interest in improving the actual gameplay/mechanics of the campaign and the AI.
I don't see the problem. Care to explain more?

Old
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I don't see the problem. Care to explain more?
It's all about the appearance, and on top of that their focus continually seems to be on making the battles "cool" on a micro level, instead of improving their mechanics and strategy on a macro level. If that emphasis didn't mean they neglected the more important aspects of the game, it would be great, but we both know it does.

I also don't understand why they're so intent on adding entire new features to the game (the ships landing on the battle map) when they haven't come close to perfecting the existing features.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
It's all about the appearance, and on top of that their focus continually seems to be on making the battles "cool" on a micro level, instead of improving their mechanics and strategy on a macro level. If that emphasis didn't mean they neglected the more important aspects of the game, it would be great, but we both know it does.

I also don't understand why they're so intent on adding entire new features to the game (the ships landing on the battle map) when they haven't come close to perfecting the existing features.
I guess I feel adding new features doesn't necessarily mean that improvements in already existing ones doesn't happen.

I feel the game play of that series has improved pretty much every time they put out a new one with some existing features being improved upon and some new features being added.

They are never going to be perfect though and frankly what you would consider perfect is not going to be what someone else thinks is perfect.

I like the Total War series a lot and will definitely be purchasing Rome II when it comes out.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I guess I feel adding new features doesn't necessarily mean that improvements in already existing ones doesn't happen.

I feel the game play of that series has improved pretty much every time they put out a new one with some existing features being improved upon and some new features being added.

They are never going to be perfect though and frankly what you would consider perfect is not going to be what someone else thinks is perfect.

I like the Total War series a lot and will definitely be purchasing Rome II when it comes out.
So will I. And you're right that they have improved generally. I just wish they were as eager to make the content of the game better as they are to make it look cool.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
So will I. And you're right that they have improved generally. I just wish they were as eager to make the content of the game better as they are to make it look cool.
I agree better and more realistic / historically correct game play is more important to me also but we are already sold on this series of games. To bring in new customers in the video game market that exists today the cool factor is important though.

I guess it is kind of like the NHL trying to walk the line of making the existing customers happy while doing what they feel needs to be done to bring in new ones.

It is what it is unfortunately but that doesn't make it bad, just not as good as it could be...

Old
12-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Yeah, fair enough.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Cush
-inator

If you bought Alpha Centauri from GOG: the Alien Crossfire ex pack has been added for free. You just need to download the installer (it installs both) Manuals have been updated as well

Got Xcom and Guild Wars 2. Reinstalling Xcom, keeps crashing, probably due to a mod.

Guild Wars 2: Just been creating characters so far

Slyvari Ranger
Human Thief
Asura Engineer
Norn Fighter

Closed Thread