Tracking the Locked Out Jets

Old
12-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I apologize. I definitely wasn't trying to do that. You had taken issue with the mains stream media, rap videos and the way society views material possessions. I was reacting to that. I interpreted your comments to be about about society as a whole.

Misinterpretation is a me problem. Again, my apologies.
Thanks for the apology. I know things can get heated with differing opinions.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Tintin's Ghost

The first thing I thought when I saw this was...is that how much money Evander saved by not tipping at Winnipeg restaurants?

On a more serious note, I recognize now that he is listening to his money to hear the faint echo of "bling" the way one listens to a sea shell to hear the sound of the ocean.

My only concern is that he didn't spend this money locally. I know the US economy is hurting but that was self-inflicted. Don't throw good money after bad. Spend in Canada. Especially if you just gonna rock the sweatpants. Lots of quality sweat pants stores up here.

Kane's an awesome hockey player but it should be kept there, not expanded into role model territory. If we're talking about role models then take your kid to Lincoln. Great movie, great role model. We're kinda paying the price as a society by placing athletes on such a pedestal. Folks around here freaked out when Buff did a post-game interview with dip in his mouth. And the houseboat thing. Chicago media gets uptight when college kids post pictures of a drunken Patrick Kane partying with them. Seriously, who cares. Pay a young man with a high school education millions of dollars and see what you get. It's not going to be the second coming of Jesus.

People start the hero-worship process with athletes after a few sporting accomplishments then get the wind knocked out of them when they realize hero boy is rather mediocre in the leadership/personality/character department. Hopefully Lance Armstrong and his one nut have let enough people down that we are backing away from lauding a bunch of jocks as heroes.

And why would the Free Press make a big deal out of this? I thought Lawless was there to pump their tires, no?

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Moral, ethical and character aside. Can we all at least agree that it was poor judgement of him to post that pic?

Old
12-19-2012, 01:48 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
The first thing I thought when I saw this was...is that how much money Evander saved by not tipping at Winnipeg restaurants?
BAHAHAHAHA!!

That's gold.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I'd bet most hockey players are similarly dumb, at least at that age, and that you'd generally be a lot more disappointed than just this. They're not scholars, they were jocks growing up. They likely missed out on a lot of schooling (though they technically got it) because of their commitment to hockey. The only difference is some have people around them to help them mature and keep them grounded while some have people around them that encourage them to take pictures with their money.
I agree with this and your post before it 100%.

paradise: Agreed, I think the first thing istated (or at least meant to imply) was that it was definitly in poor judgement. I'm just not going to crucify the kid over it.

Last edited by Grind: 12-19-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: wanted to make sure that second bit read in a positive tone...
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Thanks for the apology. I know things can get heated with differing opinions.
I am not heated at all. I have no emotional investment here. I can be a little sarcastic or flippant at times though, so I always work to reign that in.

Quote:
Moral, ethical and character aside. Can we all at least agree that it was poor judgement of him to post that pic?
I agreed with that right from the get go. I knew his PA brethren wouldn't like it and that others would count it as another mark against him, despite it not teaching us anything new.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:54 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I think I would take exception if he came and took a **** on my lawn...
But you would be Ok if he egged your house?

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:55 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
No reason? He put himself out there for anyone to criticize. Either he wanted it or he was too dumb to realize it would happen. IMO The kid needs a serious head shake.
He posted a picture of himself with some money that he legally earned. No reason to insult someone you don't know about something that has zero effect on your life.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
That would be the greatest pic ever tweeted. I don't wish it on anyone but omg if it were to happen...

On a side note, isn't coke on hookers what got that Guergis lady booted from the Conservative Party by Harper? Politicians must be more hardcore than these altar boys we call hockey players.
When I hear that I always think of Michael Irvin.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:59 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
I'd bet most hockey players are similarly dumb, at least at that age, and that you'd generally be a lot more disappointed than just this. They're not scholars, they were jocks growing up. They likely missed out on a lot of schooling (though they technically got it) because of their commitment to hockey. The only difference is some have people around them to help them mature and keep them grounded while some have people around them that encourage them to take pictures with their money.
I would agree that not all hockey players are smart (half of the world is below average intelligence). But not all of them prove it as often as he does and that's my issue with it.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
MOD NOTE:

I've moved all the posts about the Kane pic to this thread.

Final warning about this rule:

Quote:
1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 12-19-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
But you would be Ok if he egged your house?
Well it would be what we call karma.

I wouldn't be impressed, but what can ya do? They're kids. I just hose it of in the morning. Really not a big deal.

Old
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Quoted for truth. If we are let down by these people then how did we get so pumped up about them to begin with? Because he drive to the net better than most? Kinda a reflection on us and our values.

Now that I think about it, Mark Chipman probably deserves the most hero-worship out of any of the Jets. Educated man who runs his own (wealthy) company and made enough money to buy an NHL team. That's who I want my son to be like.

Old
Bob E

The pic is a classic case of not thinking beyond the moment.

He's having fun, in Vegas, maybe won a bunch of cash, maybe was around people that had a bunch of cash sitting around. Thought it would be fun to stage a pic, 'being a playa', and name dropping some celebrity he knows and has likely partied with.

He's 21, and doesn't understand the ramifications of his actions yet. Did he intentionally try to offend the people who's livelihood is severely impacted during this lockout? Imo, of course not. Did he try to send a message that players are filthy rich and can wait out the owners during this lockout? Imo, that's not the message behind it. Reading that into it is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

He's a pr nightmare, because he doesn't understand that his actions can be taken many different ways, and mostly negative. I do believe he's a good kid, just completely unaware of some common sense stuff.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
My opinion is that we should leave the kid alone and avoid passing judgement on people because of their lifestyle choice. So long as Kane is living legal and he isn't hurting others, he is good in my book.

...and when I say good, I mean he is a good person. I don't know, but I won't speak out against him.

He may be a great guy, many people that know him (past coaches, teammates, etc) have said as much.

He may be a jerk, many people who don't know him have said as much.

It doesn't matter to me. The Jets don't pay him to be friendly and ultimately a little bit of arrogance can take an athlete a long long way. I want him to be a driven athlete. I want him to want to win. The rest is just noise.
Fortunately we aren't paying him to be a nice guy we are paying him to score in bunches. As long as he shows up in shape and committed to competing hard then I will plug my nose and continue to cheer for the uniform. Whether its Kane who is a punk or many of the great guys on the Jets I am about the results.

surprised nobody has pointed out that bad stash I think it’s quite a bit worse than the sweats

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:11 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I would agree that it is poor judgement. I still don't think it's a big deal, but I agree that he would have been better served not posting it. He's probably going to catch **** for this and that's why.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Fortunately we aren't paying him to be a nice guy we are paying him to score in bunches. As long as he shows up in shape and committed to competing hard then I will plug my nose and continue to cheer for the uniform. Whether its Kane who is a punk or many of the great guys on the Jets I am about the results.

surprised nobody has pointed out that bad stash I think itís quite a bit worse than the sweats
I don't think he's all that bad a kid, i honestly don't. Without knowing the info for this pic, is it even his money, it's pretty hard to judge, imo. Stupid, yes, means he's not a good dude, i don't know.

If he was pictured snorting coke or firing off guns, or something really crazy, then i would think he's just a bad dude.

I honestly have more concerns with Pavs and Buff (to a lesser degree), being impaired and posing a great risk to themselves and others. That behavior is dangerous and reckless.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I don't think he's all that bad a kid, i honestly don't. Without knowing the info for this pic, is it even his money, it's pretty hard to judge, imo. Stupid, yes, means he's not a good dude, i don't know.

If he was pictured snorting coke or firing off guns, or something really crazy, then i would think he's just a bad dude.

I honestly have more concerns with Pavs and Buff (to a lesser degree), being impaired and posing a great risk to themselves and others. That behavior is dangerous and reckless.
Lol, there's been a lot of coke references on HF Jets today. Up all night, Winnipeg?

Old
12-19-2012, 02:23 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Lol, there's been a lot of coke references on HF Jets today. Up all night, Winnipeg?
Every night. You mean coca cola right?

Old
12-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Absolutely. Was obviously there with a few others - someone took the pic - so not many functioning brain cells when this was done.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Bob E

Quote:
hahaha!

Old
12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

On a more serious note, I recognize now that he is listening to his money to hear the faint echo of "bling" the way one listens to a sea shell to hear the sound of the ocean.

My only concern is that he didn't spend this money locally. I know the US economy is hurting but that was self-inflicted. Don't throw good money after bad. Spend in Canada. Especially if you just gonna rock the sweatpants. Lots of quality sweat pants stores up here.

Kane's an awesome hockey player but it should be kept there, not expanded into role model territory. If we're talking about role models then take your kid to Lincoln. Great movie, great role model. We're kinda paying the price as a society by placing athletes on such a pedestal. Folks around here freaked out when Buff did a post-game interview with dip in his mouth. And the houseboat thing. Chicago media gets uptight when college kids post pictures of a drunken Patrick Kane partying with them. Seriously, who cares. Pay a young man with a high school education millions of dollars and see what you get. It's not going to be the second coming of Jesus.

People start the hero-worship process with athletes after a few sporting accomplishments then get the wind knocked out of them when they realize hero boy is rather mediocre in the leadership/personality/character department. Hopefully Lance Armstrong and his one nut have let enough people down that we are backing away from lauding a bunch of jocks as heroes.

And why would the Free Press make a big deal out of this? I thought Lawless was there to pump their tires, no?
Lawless has said far less than flattering things about Kane, Burmi and Hainsey.

Seems to me that he writes op-eds looking for reaction.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Bob E

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411959

Kane is apologizing for the pic.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:59 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post

I am not saying Evander is a criminal by any stretch he is just unpopular, not a nice person, and doesn't care what anyone including his teammates think about him. As a stakeholder in the Jets (season ticket holder) I am concerned that this hurts team moral but who knows? My big concern is will this contract cause him to lose focus now that he has been paid the big guaranteed money (time will tell and I sure hope not)?

Pavs by all accounts gets along well with his teammates but isn't the hardest worker on and off the ice and had the DUI issue, and oh yea, with held the issue while negotiating his new contract (at least I am guessing he and his people withheld the information). So Pavs screwed up big time but gets along well with others and needs to grow up and work harder IMHO

The Buff incident seems to have gotten blown away out of proportion. He passed the breathalyzer but then things got weird. He is a popular guy but I would like to see him more committed to fitness in the off season.

These would be three guys that are all getting paid VERY WELL that I would like to see dedicate themselves more to maximize their god given talents. Up to this point Kane has earned his keep on the ice so as long as that continues and he is not too disruptive to team chemistry I don't care that much that he is an a55.

my 2 cents worth not that anyone cares

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:05 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
MOD NOTE:

I've moved all the posts about the Kane pic to this thread.

Final warning about this rule:
That is all fine and dandy Hank, but you flame more than any of us.

In your avatar I mean.