HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Poll : Most Canadians don't care if NHL comes back

Old
12-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Most of this country does not care for team sports. That is a known fact.
I think you missed the guy's point, exclude the 4 biggest cities metropolitan areas and I'd bet you'd find most of the rest follow sports. If for no other reason other than there is not much else, other than nature and I'm pretty sure that most would be into fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, and camping as well.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I think you missed the guy's point, exclude the 4 biggest cities metropolitan areas and I'd bet you'd find most of the rest follow sports. If for no other reason other than there is not much else, other than nature and I'm pretty sure that most would be into fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, and camping as well.
Fair enough.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:31 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
This is pretty much exactly my point. As a child I grew up in a family that moved around probably once every year or 2 until I was 15. I've lived everywhere from Rocanville, SK with a population of around 1000, to Mississauga. Grand Falls NFLD to Prince Rupert.

I find that the NHL gets a lot more love in the smaller towns. Sure when a particular team is on a hot streak their city is making a big deal of it, but in the small towns all over the country people either go down to the town bar or sit at home on Saturday nights and watch hockey. Even senior hockey games and midget hockey games are full of people in those places.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
This lockout has set the NHL back at least 10 years in Canada.
Which means what exactly? Its not like the NHL was struggling 10 years ago in Canada.

...now if you said in the US, that may be a different story.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Which means what exactly? Its not like the NHL was struggling 10 years ago in Canada.

...now if you said in the US, that may be a different story.
That a lot of new kids won't follow the NHL.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
New Poll

That's a lot of apathy for the birthplace of hockey and the NHL's wallet, this does not look good.

Is it frustration with the lockout or a demographic shift, younger Canadians not so into the sport as previous generations?
Interesting.

There does seem to be a very different "vibe" to fans this time around compared to the 2004/05 lockout.

That lockout was less about money and more about principles. I think fans could empathize with the owners wanting a system that could see them stop losing money and bring parity (owners were spending 70% of revenues on salaries prior to the lockout). Fans could also empathize with the players not wanting to give up a free market system. At the time a salary cap seemed like a revolutionary restriction on players earning potential.

This time, the system is already decided upon. No matter which side you support, it is transparently obvious that both the owners and players are just greedily holding out for more cash. At the moment, with the two sides quite close, it is simply moronic that a compromise can't be reached. Both sides are like the monkey who won't relax its grip on a banana to get out of a trap.

I think fans are really sick of being taken advantage of by players and owners that obviously care a heck of a lot more about lining their own pockets than about the game of hockey.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

People are just BSing. Especially in the GTA where the Jays are suddenly the cool new kid.

Canadians will be back in droves when NHL hockey resumes. Of that I have no doubts.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
That a lot of new kids won't follow the NHL.
So... we have the last lockout to blame for Justin Bieber's popularity? All those kids who were new six years ago don't follow the NHL?

We should quit being so negative. The NHL's loss (of those new kids) could just be some now 12 year old kid's future gain...

It's all good.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Some thoughts as to why a demographic shift might be contributing to hockey apathy in Canada:

1) Used to play hockey on a frozen pond or lake. Can't do that so much anymore in big Canadian cities, not as cold as it used to be.

2) Street hockey now illegal in many jurisdictions due to civic insurance concerns.

3) The equipment needed to play in a league is very expensive compared to a couple of generations ago.

4) Canada is much more multicultural than a couple of generations ago. Kids who did not grow up with hockey, whose parents don't know the game, are less likely to play.

5) Soccer is cheaper and safer to play.

6) Going to an NHL game costs much more than it used to, even in inflation-adjusted dollars.

7) Canadian teams not winning so many Stanley Cups.

8) Lots of other things to do, lots of other sports to watch on TV and online.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
Most of Canada doesn't care if the NHL comes back?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Especially in the GTA where the Jays are suddenly the cool new kid.
That is going to end so so badly...

Old
12-19-2012, 09:59 PM
MarkGio

A lot of people are assuming there's much more to do in the middle of January than watch and play hockey. Of course Canadians will be back.

-20 degrees on a Friday night isn't exactly spent taking in the streets of Edmonton. Its spent staying warm watching a hockey game in Rexall.

Last edited by MarkGio: 12-19-2012 at 11:09 PM.
MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:03 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
A lot of people are assuming there's much more to do in the middle of January than watch and play hockey. Of course Canadians will be back.

-20 degrees on a Friday night isn't exactly spent taking in the streets of Edmonton. Its spent staying warm watching at a hockey game in Rexall.
Exactly, a lot of people just watch hockey, no matter how terrible it is, because there's nothing better to do. That doesn't mean they love the NHL or even care. It's just something to do. Nobody cares about the NHL in places where there is nice weather and other sports options.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:08 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Yes im canadian. and no i dont give two ***** when the nhl comes back.

This is coming from a lad whos going to stay up til 8am everyday and watch canadas wjc. so im not some half assed fan.

ive just reached the point where i dont care anymore. after seeing how bush the league is run, the lockout has proved to me that i dont need the NHL to live.

And honestly i think the biggest difference between the two lockouts is social media. we are now much more informed then before, and can see that we arent the only people pissed off at the league.

Ill just keep watching local junior games instead. hockeys hockey.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Ringmaster316

used to watch only nhl from 1988-2004

in the 1st lockout i started watching mlb has well and LOVED IT...

now i am watching NFL/NBA

i could care less if NHL comes back...NFL is th best product out there...pats/49ers game last sunday night was epic(Brady is just awesome)...going to Seattle to watch this Sundays game...

Also NBA League Pass is free on Shaw(if u have 2 or more services with them) and i am enjoying it

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
Yes im canadian. and no i dont give two ***** when the nhl comes back.

This is coming from a lad whos going to stay up til 8am everyday and watch canadas wjc. so im not some half assed fan.

ive just reached the point where i dont care anymore. after seeing how bush the league is run, the lockout has proved to me that i dont need the NHL to live.

And honestly i think the biggest difference between the two lockouts is social media. we are now much more informed then before, and can see that we arent the only people pissed off at the league.

Ill just keep watching local junior games instead. hockeys hockey.

same

i used to watch basically every game on center ice from panthers vs canes at 4pm to kings vs ducks to end the evening...Funny thing i have 6 tuners with my Shaw gateway(only reason i got it was for NH Center Ice paid like $450 for it) and i would use 5 of 6 tuners to record games

Old
12-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Soundwave

I honestly would not care either if I was a Flames, Sens, Habs, or Leafs fan.

As an Oiler fan it's a little tougher because we've suffered so much to finally get a team with a lot of exciting talent, that it's kind of hard to just turn off the interest.

It's like watching a 3 1/2 hour movie that drags like crazy the first hour, but is finally starting to get really good and the projector in the theater breaks

I go between not caring to really wanting it back to forgetting what it's like to have a game on Saturday night.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
They just surveyed random people, some of these people wouldn't much care about NHL hockey in the first place.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It's like watching a 3 1/2 hour movie that drags like crazy the first hour, but is finally starting to get really good and the projector in the theater breaks

I go between not caring to really wanting it back to forgetting what it's like to have a game on Saturday night.
I was at a party once and the Rangers and Caps were playing a playoff game. During the game itself we took a mild interest, during the first overtime the interest increased, and then the game took on marathon status.

The hostess at one point came in to admonish us about hogging the TV room and being antisocial, and changed the channel to something else; after an almost physical revolt, she quickly changed the channel back, by which time the game was over.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
MarkGio

I hear a lot of guys talk big, but once that coffee break or water cooler conversation starts talking about the local NHL hockey club, people will pick back up.

Listen, I too am upset about the greed, but I didn't start watching hockey as a kid because I felt the collective bargaining and the economics of the game were interesting and important to my moral perspective, I watched it because it's flat-out a fun game to play and watch.

Sure hockey's hockey. But how many news papers report the junior team or AHL franchise? How many highlights have KHL videos? The coffee break is spent talking about the NHL because that's what's shoved down our throats.

How can I follow a team that has no coverage? I follow the team that CAN be followed. It's easy. Everything from a click on the computer, to turning on the T.V, to picking up a local paper in Timmy's enables me to follow the local NHL club.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
thom

jlp made the top 10 reasons why hockey needs to go back to its grass roots I'v made the same point about low hockey enrollment.They must go to the new people's of canada and get them involved.I would disagree about less injuries in soccer.More people get concussed in soccer thanpeople think.Over 8 elite soccer players have died in the past 10 yrs.The costs are the reasons soccer gets the youth in canada many single parents can't afford the costs of hockey.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I hear a lot of guys talk big, but once that coffee break or water cooler conversation starts talking about the local NHL hockey club, people will pick back up.

Listen, I too am upset about the greed, but I didn't start watching hockey as a kid because I felt the collective bargaining and the economics of the game were interesting and important to my moral perspective, I watched it because it's flat-out a fun game to play and watch.

Sure hockey's hockey. But how many news papers report the junior team or AHL franchise? How many highlights have KHL videos? The coffee break is spent talking about the NHL because that's what's shoved down our throats.

How can I follow a team that has no coverage? I follow the team that CAN be followed. It's easy. Everything from a click on the computer, to turning on the T.V, to picking up a local paper in Timmy's enables me to follow the local NHL club.
were i live everyone is always talking about NFL(work,family,friends)...hockey is 2nd though

Old
12-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Ringmaster316

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
jlp made the top 10 reasons why hockey needs to go back to its grass roots I'v made the same point about low hockey enrollment.They must go to the new people's of canada and get them involved.I would disagree about less injuries in soccer.More people get concussed in soccer thanpeople think.Over 8 elite soccer players have died in the past 10 yrs.The costs are the reasons soccer gets the youth in canada many single parents can't afford the costs of hockey.
"new people" or immigrants don't give a .Mod. about hockey they prefer NBA over it

that's why i also think NBA should return to Vancouver

Last edited by Killion: 12-19-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: not cute...
Old
12-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Blue And Orange
Welcome Chiarelli!

I'm really starting not to care about this ******** lockout, although part of me still do because I still believe a season will happen in mid January.

If the season is cancelled I'm done. That's the last straw for me. I will not come back and I will never watch the NHL ever again.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote