HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dark horse goalies to be drafted

Old
12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

vCash: 500
Dark horse goalies to be drafted

Who are some overlooked goalies that have potential?

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
shello
@WShello9

Alex Fontinos from Barrie was the first name to pop in my head.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
One of the biggest darkhorse (also been one of the most impressive I've seen) goaler I can you is give Louis-Philip Guindon.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Alex Fontinos from Barrie was the first name to pop in my head.
Both Fotinos and Graham from the OHL look like solid value in the mid to late rounds.

Others to look out for are Philippe Desrosiers from the Rimouski Océanic. Slowly but surely doing very well in the QMJHL.

Ivan Nalimov, undrafted in 2012, playing in the MHL, posting about the same numbers as Vasilevski, great size as well.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:30 PM
ALI

vCash: 50
Brodeur

ALI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Jake Paterson is drafted, but he's like the Michael Jackson of horses. He was really dark, now he's as white a horse as it gets.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Jacko95

Not as a draftee but I think matthias niederberger from the Barrie Colts should get some interest this summer as a undrafted free agent

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:24 AM
QMJHLfollower

Philippe Cadorette from the Baie-Comeau Drakkar in the QMJHL. Very very solid goaltender.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Jackson Whistle of Kelowna might earn a late look this year. The WHL has three pretty obvious prospects in goal this year:

Eric Comrie - likely a top 45 pick
Brendan Burke - Sean Burke's son, could be a top 3-4 round pick
Tristan Jarry - Big brick wall of a kid, could be a top 3-4 round pick

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Jackson Whistle of Kelowna might earn a late look this year. The WHL has three pretty obvious prospects in goal this year:

Eric Comrie - likely a top 45 pick
Brendan Burke - Sean Burke's son, could be a top 3-4 round pick
Tristan Jarry - Big brick wall of a kid, could be a top 3-4 round pick
You dont say?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
JL17

Jake Patterson of the London Knights... kids been great aside from his last start.

Not your typical butterfly goalie... almost a Marty Brodeur style.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Drafted or Undrafted?

Some of my fellow Ducks fans will disagree, but I see a lot of potential in Frederick Andersen.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:16 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Drafted or Undrafted?

Some of my fellow Ducks fans will disagree, but I see a lot of potential in Frederick Andersen.
I'm assuming undrafted.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:22 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I'm assuming undrafted.
Ahhhh okay. Then I don't have much to contribute to the conversation.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:06 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Jake Patterson of the London Knights... kids been great aside from his last start.

Not your typical butterfly goalie... almost a Marty Brodeur style.
Came here to post this. I really like Patterson; hope he gets drafted in the 6th or 7th round, but I have a feeling he'll be overlooked because he plays on a strong team.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Came here to post this. I really like Patterson; hope he gets drafted in the 6th or 7th round, but I have a feeling he'll be overlooked because he plays on a strong team.
Paterson is property of the Red Wings.

As for dark horse goalie prospects eligible this year that I like, I'd have to say Juuse Saros of Finland, Marcus Hogberg from Sweden and Eamon McAdam from the USA.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Paterson is property of the Red Wings.

As for dark horse goalie prospects eligible this year that I like, I'd have to say Juuse Saros of Finland, Marcus Hogberg from Sweden and Eamon McAdam from the USA.
Jake Patterson of the London Knights

Jake Paterson plays for Saginaw and is property of the Wings

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
One of the biggest darkhorse (also been one of the most impressive I've seen) goaler I can you is give Louis-Philip Guindon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Jackson Whistle of Kelowna might earn a late look this year.
Agreed on both of these.

Watched Guindon stonewall Blainville-Boisbriand (One of the Top 10 teams in the CHL) a couple weeks ago and there's much to love about his game from his terrific lateral movement, his calm demeanor, and his ability/willingness to launch himself in every direction to keep a puck out of the net.

Whistle is looking really good, it will be interesting to see if this past weekend's injury affects him at all going forward.

Michael Giugovaz is a guy I haven't got to see much of, but his numbers are fairly impressive: .899 Save PCT in 1228 minutes for Peterborough, one of the worst teams in the OHL. In fact, thus far, Giugovaz has been in goal for 88% of the Petes' wins!

Zach Fortin is another one whom I haven't seen much, but his numbers in limited duty are pretty impressive (Albeit, on a very good team). 6 GP, 5 Wins (Including 2 shut-outs), 1.99 AVG ad a .923 Save PCT. Interestingly, he's played in only 18% of Quebec's games, but has accounted for 22% of their wins.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:21 PM
hab 4ever

It has to be Antoine Bibeau (early 94 born). Went undrafted last summer but that was after he only got 15 starts as a Q rookie on worst team of the league, playing behind recent Dallas signing Maxime Lagacé. This year he is roundly outplaying Lagacé in PEI, putting together great stats and being his team's no. 1A goalie. He is also almost 6'3".

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Agreed on both of these.

Watched Guindon stonewall Blainville-Boisbriand (One of the Top 10 teams in the CHL) a couple weeks ago and there's much to love about his game from his terrific lateral movement, his calm demeanor, and his ability/willingness to launch himself in every direction to keep a puck out of the net.

Whistle is looking really good, it will be interesting to see if this past weekend's injury affects him at all going forward.

Michael Giugovaz is a guy I haven't got to see much of, but his numbers are fairly impressive: .899 Save PCT in 1228 minutes for Peterborough, one of the worst teams in the OHL. In fact, thus far, Giugovaz has been in goal for 88% of the Petes' wins!

Zach Fortin is another one whom I haven't seen much, but his numbers in limited duty are pretty impressive (Albeit, on a very good team). 6 GP, 5 Wins (Including 2 shut-outs), 1.99 AVG ad a .923 Save PCT. Interestingly, he's played in only 18% of Quebec's games, but has accounted for 22% of their wins.
I got a lot of flack for questioning the CSS list, particularly the Jackson Whistle ranking.

Seems the bandwagon is filling up rather nicely now.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I got a lot of flack for questioning the CSS list, particularly the Jackson Whistle ranking.
Well, the thread is "Dark Horse Goalies", if we all listed Fucale, Martin and Comrie, it would be the antithesis of that title. Also, IIRC, no one was disputing with you over whether or not Whistle was talented, it was more that you were absolutely opposed to the idea that anyone could be ranked higher than Whistle, save Comrie, and people, myself included, were trying to show you what the rankings were likely based on.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Well, the thread is "Dark Horse Goalies", if we all listed Fucale, Martin and Comrie, it would be the antithesis of that title. Also, IIRC, no one was disputing with you over whether or not Whistle was talented, it was more that you were absolutely opposed to the idea that anyone could be ranked higher than Whistle, save Comrie, and people, myself included, were trying to show you what the rankings were likely based on.
Well, that is nonsense. What I did say was that having him ranked 8th best draft eligible goalie in the WHL was pretty ridiculous. Which it was, and is.

You tried to defend the ranking, citing this and that about bantam draft pedigree and other things that really didnt have anything to do with the present or the future.

Now you, and others who were speaking out on behalf of the CSS are here now praising the likes of Jackson Whistle. Why he may even be drafted you say?

Seems like a convenient about face really.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:12 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, that is nonsense. What I did say was that having him ranked 8th best draft eligible goalie in the WHL was pretty ridiculous. Which it was, and is.
You Said
Quote:
[on Whistle]Well, Ive seen him play, and he was impressive to say the least. Couple that with his stats and I dont see how the other six goalies all project above him. Comrie yes, but after that it gets pretty sketchy. If you care to tell me how the other six/seven goalies "project" better than him Im all ears.
I Said
Quote:
I can't say whether or not I think they will project better, but I can tell you how CSS likely projected them as better
Quote:
You tried to defend the ranking, citing this and that about bantam draft pedigree and other things that really didnt have anything to do with the present or the future.
Again, I did so from the point of view of the CSS. At no point did I say they were right, but I showed exactly how they likely arrived at their rankings. As Gare Joyce said in his book, every scout has their favourite types of players and CSS, when scouting goalies, likes them big with international experience. Whistle doesn't have bad size, but had no international experience, hence why CSS ranked them that way.

Quote:
Now you, and others who were speaking out on behalf of the CSS are here now praising the likes of Jackson Whistle. Why he may even be drafted you say?

Seems like a convenient about face really.
This is just completely wrong.

I said
Quote:
I like Whistle a lot, think he's been great for Kelowna
Quote:
It's possible that Whistle continues to play well this year and plays himself into a position where he will be drafted,
But, no, never mind, you're right. We all hated him.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:22 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Jake Patterson of the London Knights

Jake Paterson plays for Saginaw and is property of the Wings
^yup, people are confusing the two...just wait until they both play an NHL game against each other....imagine if Bob Cole, at 100 years old, tries announcing the game!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
You Said

I Said

Again, I did so from the point of view of the CSS. At no point did I say they were right, but I showed exactly how they likely arrived at their rankings. As Gare Joyce said in his book, every scout has their favourite types of players and CSS, when scouting goalies, likes them big with international experience. Whistle doesn't have bad size, but had no international experience, hence why CSS ranked them that way.

This is just completely wrong.

I said

But, no, never mind, you're right. We all hated him.
Way to cherry pick your quotes.

The last quote
Quote:
It's possible that Whistle continues to play well this year and plays himself into a position where he will be drafted,
was immediately followed by
Quote:
but it's also possible he fades down the stretch.
How convenient of you to leave that part out.

You and others harangued me for pointing out that they were out to lunch on Whistle being 8th best draft eligible in the WHL, of which there are only about 15 draft year goalies in the entire league, but now here you are throwing his name out there for a possible "dark horse".

He is more than a "dark horse" to be picked in the draft at this point imo, but Im sure when he does get picked you and others will be there to say you knew it all along and were first to mention it.

Isnt that right?

You cant argue both sides of the equation without looking a little foolish, which you and others seem to be doing here.

It hasnt gone unnoticed.

You also threw out the argument that perhaps the reason his numbers were so good was a product of playing behind a good team. Of course Jarry is in a similar situation, but no mention of that in regards to him.

The game against the Oil Kings in Kelowna, Whistle put on one of the best goaltending performances I have seen all year in the WHL from anyone, draft eligible or not. It had nothing to do with the team in front of him. In fact he WAS the reason they were even in the game, never mind coming out with a victory.