HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NFL Thread VII: Cue the Mid-Season Slide

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2012, 11:29 AM
  #951
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,914
vCash: 500
Why not just rebuild at the position instead of bringing in a stopgap veteran to work within the already broken system the Jets have?

Draft a QB and mold him from day 1 (this of course only being effective if there is a complete ideological change from top to bottom in the Jets organization).

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
  #952
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,314
vCash: 500
I always find it funny (and this is not meant just for the Jets) that teams go out and draft a quarterback very early in the draft when the rest of their team is terrible. If they don't have an O-Line or a decent receiving corps the QB will most likely not be effective. Why not work on developing a better team rather than just throwing a kid in there and watching him sink like Sanchez?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 11:42 AM
  #953
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Why not just rebuild at the position instead of bringing in a stopgap veteran to work within the already broken system the Jets have?

Draft a QB and mold him from day 1 (this of course only being effective if there is a complete ideological change from top to bottom in the Jets organization).
Like the exact thing they did with Sanchez?

In my opinion, the ideological change you speak of is far more important than paying extra attention to QB.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
  #954
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Why not just rebuild at the position instead of bringing in a stopgap veteran to work within the already broken system the Jets have?

Draft a QB and mold him from day 1 (this of course only being effective if there is a complete ideological change from top to bottom in the Jets organization).
Easier said than done. They still need to sell tickets.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
  #955
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Like the exact thing they did with Sanchez?

In my opinion, the ideological change you speak of is far more important than paying extra attention to QB.
Right, that's what I'm saying. I'm not saying go out and draft Geno Smith in the first round and throw him in there with no extra changes.

Perhaps it would be better for the Jets to focus elsewhere in the draft coming up, O-Line, RB, etc... Rebuild the management team, and "tank" next season. But, tanking by way of building. The 2014 draft should be better for QBs I'd suspect anyway, but I could be way off there as I don't know much about college ball...

silverfish is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 02:14 PM
  #956
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Right, that's what I'm saying. I'm not saying go out and draft Geno Smith in the first round and throw him in there with no extra changes.

Perhaps it would be better for the Jets to focus elsewhere in the draft coming up, O-Line, RB, etc... Rebuild the management team, and "tank" next season. But, tanking by way of building. The 2014 draft should be better for QBs I'd suspect anyway, but I could be way off there as I don't know much about college ball...
I see your point. It's hard to do that when Rex has talked so much (we'll meet Obama, this [2012] team could be the most talented I've ever had, predictions et al.) And he's still doing it (McElroy's intangibles!?!?!)

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
  #957
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I always find it funny (and this is not meant just for the Jets) that teams go out and draft a quarterback very early in the draft when the rest of their team is terrible. If they don't have an O-Line or a decent receiving corps the QB will most likely not be effective. Why not work on developing a better team rather than just throwing a kid in there and watching him sink like Sanchez?
The Jets had a top tier O-line when Sanchez came in the league and some pretty good playmakers. They had the best running game in the league in 2009 and one of the tops in 2010. (might have mixed those two years)

It is known that good-great QB's make something out of nothing. I don't believe the Jets failed Sanchez in that they put no talent around him (at first), but they failed the organization by investing too much into a QB who started 1 whole year at USC.

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
  #958
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
If I'm a Jets fan, I'm putting Andy Reid on my wishlist. Along with Alex Smith.

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:04 PM
  #959
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
If I'm a Jets fan, I'm putting Andy Reid on my wishlist. Along with Alex Smith.
Reid might have his choice of better jobs — or at the very least better situations. For that matter, when you look at what he's been allowed to do (get rid of players, fire coordinators, turn things over to Foles), I'm not sold on the idea that Reid's getting fired.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
  #960
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Reid might have his choice of better jobs. For that matter, when you look at what he's been allowed to do (get rid of players, fire coordinators, turn things over to Foles), I'm not sold on the idea that Reid's getting fired.
The firing of the coordinators IMO was used as a scapegoat for Andy. Eagles fans have been clamoring for his firing since last year's debacle. McNabb shouldn't have been released/traded whatever he was, but Eagles fans really pushed him out. It seems at this point that its a far cry that Andy returns to Philly. They are still arguably one of the most talented teams in the entire league and two straight horrible seasons basically stamps his departure.

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
  #961
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
The Jets had a top tier O-line when Sanchez came in the league and some pretty good playmakers. They had the best running game in the league in 2009 and one of the tops in 2010. (might have mixed those two years)

It is known that good-great QB's make something out of nothing. I don't believe the Jets failed Sanchez in that they put no talent around him (at first), but they failed the organization by investing too much into a QB who started 1 whole year at USC.
Not saying it wasn't a decent situation when he came into the league but since then it has been totally downhill to the point where bringing in a kid straight from college would be a bad move to make for next season IMO considering the amount of holes they have currently.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM
  #962
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Reid might have his choice of better jobs or at the very least better situations. For that matter, when you look at what he's been allowed to do (get rid of players, fire coordinators, turn things over to Foles), I'm not sold on the idea that Reid's getting fired.
Hes been in Philly forever - I think management will be ready for a change.

Sad to say it, but his son dying of a heroin overdose with a backpack full of steroids will probably be a tipping point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:13 PM
  #963
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes been in Philly forever - I think management will be ready for a change.

Sad to say it, but his son dying of a heroin overdose with a backpack full of steroids will probably be a tipping point.
Or it could give him a pass.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:15 PM
  #964
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Not saying it wasn't a decent situation when he came into the league but since then it has been totally downhill to the point where bringing in a kid straight from college would be a bad move to make for next season IMO considering the amount of holes they have currently.
I agree with that point. Tannenbaum's job has to seriously be in question.

Overall, I think it has to go one of two ways, either fire Tannenbaum and keep Rex and his "ground and pound" demeanor; or they keep Tannenbaum and fire Rex and company and change the organization's outlook. If they decide to fire both, it could set the franchise back quite a few years. (complete rebuild)

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:16 PM
  #965
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
The firing of the coordinators IMO was used as a scapegoat for Andy. Eagles fans have been clamoring for his firing since last year's debacle. McNabb shouldn't have been released/traded whatever he was, but Eagles fans really pushed him out. It seems at this point that its a far cry that Andy returns to Philly. They are still arguably one of the most talented teams in the entire league and two straight horrible seasons basically stamps his departure.
If you're going to fire the guy, what's the point of a scapegoat? For that matter, if he's gone, why not say so? The Giants did with Fassel. The Chargers just did with Turner.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:21 PM
  #966
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you're going to fire the guy, what's the point of a scapegoat? For that matter, if he's gone, why not say so? The Giants did with Fassel. The Chargers just did with Turner.
If its true that Andy played a role in the firing of his coordinators, he could use their firings as an explanation to the past 2 seasons. If those firings had nothing to do with Andy Reid, then I'm not sure what their GM was doing. Could be to see if the team played any differently over these last few weeks with Andy calling all the shots.

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  #967
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
If its true that Andy played a role in the firing of his coordinators, he could use their firings as an explanation to the past 2 seasons. If those firings had nothing to do with Andy Reid, then I'm not sure what their GM was doing. Could be to see if the team played any differently over these last few weeks with Andy calling all the shots.
Perhaps. I'm just not sold that he's gone. Regardless, I stand by my original comment that if Reid wants to coach next season, he will have his choice of better (meaning in better shape) jobs than the Jets.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 03:25 PM
  #968
park rangers
Optimist
 
park rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Perhaps. I'm just not sold that he's gone. Regardless, I stand by my original comment that if Reid wants to coach next season, he will have his choice of better (meaning in better shape) jobs than the Jets.
Absolutely, and with Andy's family problems, it'd probably be best to stay out of the limelight that is NY media.

park rangers is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 04:59 PM
  #969
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
I agree with that point. Tannenbaum's job has to seriously be in question.

Overall, I think it has to go one of two ways, either fire Tannenbaum and keep Rex and his "ground and pound" demeanor; or they keep Tannenbaum and fire Rex and company and change the organization's outlook. If they decide to fire both, it could set the franchise back quite a few years. (complete rebuild)
In all honesty a complete rebuild is what the management needs. Rex is just not a good head coach. Great at defense, completely clueless with offense. Not to mention the circus that the team has become in 4 years because of his mouth and player-first mentality.

Tannenbaum is even worse. A cap specialist turned GM who has left the team with no depth and up to the wall with the cap. How does the cap guy screw you over with the one thing he's supposed to be good at? His drafts have been questionable to say the least and the constant tinkering with the offense destroyed anything they had with Sanchez.

Sporano will probably be a casualty as well and it's not a huge loss.

A new GM will want his choice of head coach and coordinators. While the team might not be in rebuild mode it's what's best for the team. Now if Andy Reid comes in here I wouldn't be surprised at all if Vick is the QB next year. All of that is up in the air but I would be shocked if Rex and Tannenbaum are kept.

mattyd99 is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 09:30 PM
  #970
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,933
vCash: 50
Interesting.

Quote:
Source: Jets will try to trade Mark Sanchez after the season. Story link: http://*******.com/buv56gx #nyj
https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/statu...75716653502465

From Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-after-season

and NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-new-york-jets

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail

Last edited by Bob Richards: 12-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
12-19-2012, 10:15 PM
  #971
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Totally in agreement. Sanchez is not nor will he ever be a savior of a franchise.

He can backup for Pete Carroll in Seattle.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 12:09 AM
  #972
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I always find it funny (and this is not meant just for the Jets) that teams go out and draft a quarterback very early in the draft when the rest of their team is terrible. If they don't have an O-Line or a decent receiving corps the QB will most likely not be effective. Why not work on developing a better team rather than just throwing a kid in there and watching him sink like Sanchez?
Well when he's there, he's there.

The Giants had an awful O-line in 2004, but they couldn't pass up on Eli Manning.

Machinehead is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 01:23 AM
  #973
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
I agree with that point. Tannenbaum's job has to seriously be in question.

Overall, I think it has to go one of two ways, either fire Tannenbaum and keep Rex and his "ground and pound" demeanor; or they keep Tannenbaum and fire Rex and company and change the organization's outlook. If they decide to fire both, it could set the franchise back quite a few years. (complete rebuild)
No. You need to fire both. Period. Rex is not a NFL-caliber coach and Tannenbaum is one of the worst GMs I have ever seen in football.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 01:25 AM
  #974
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
In all honesty a complete rebuild is what the management needs.
I completely agree. A complete rebuild is the way to go for the Jets. They have some tradeable assets that would bring in some picks and should put all their focus on the draft from this day on forward. Otherwise, they will languish in mediocrity for the conceivable future.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 01:32 AM
  #975
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I always find it funny (and this is not meant just for the Jets) that teams go out and draft a quarterback very early in the draft when the rest of their team is terrible. If they don't have an O-Line or a decent receiving corps the QB will most likely not be effective. Why not work on developing a better team rather than just throwing a kid in there and watching him sink like Sanchez?
I dont think their line of thinking was that far off. I mean the O line that first year was sick with D-Brick, Mangold, Faneca and Woody... the receiving corps of Cotchery, Holmes and Edwards was solid, and Thomas Jones/Greene were running hard. Scott was younger, Harris was playing well... it looked like they COULD have just been a QB away... of course thats no longer the case, lol.

Cynical TyranT is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.