HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
12-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Galchenyuk94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Pick 2/3 as long as nutrition is involved. You won't get much gains if you eat like crap, especially not in weight loss.
You can make good gains by eating mcdonalds, lifting weights and doing cardio everyday. Macros are macros. Ever see the documentary fat head? It was a documentary response to Morgan Spurlocks Supersize me. The guy eats fast food 3x a day for a month, loses 10 pounds, improves his cholesterol and lowers BF. Just by watching his carb intake and watching his portions. He didn't even lift or do any significant cardio, he just walked a few times a week.

EDIT: not saying it's ideal

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:50 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
You can make good gains by eating mcdonalds, lifting weights and doing cardio everyday. Macros are macros. Ever see the documentary fat head? It was a documentary response to Morgan Spurlocks Supersize me. The guy eats fast food 3x a day for a month, loses 10 pounds, improves his cholesterol and lowers BF. Just by watching his carb intake and watching his portions. He didn't even lift or do any significant cardio, he just walked a few times a week.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Actually you're wrong. Macros are not just macros, just like calories are not just calories. Thinking that way proves very little understanding of the human body, or its functioning.
Fact is, your body is constantly burning calories. It's even burning calories while you sleep, and while digesting. Point of this is, not every macro or calorie you intake is burned as fast. Your body will burn more calories eating fibers and veggies than say white bread, etc...
The human body is a very complicated thing.

Never seen Fat Head, but there is many things to look at. First off, he limited 100g of Carbs per day, and consumed only 2000 calories (900 of which was fat, 100g of fat x 9 cal=900). It seems that his idea was to show that fat isn't bad, which I fully agree with. Nothing surprising there.
Also, his HDL goes down, that's the supposed good cholesterol. It doesn't improve, quite the opposite.

Here's another crazy thought, eat nothing, you'll likely lose weight. But it won't make you healthy.

Tom Naughton is an advocate of the Paleo diet, which, in a nutshell, limits you to meats and veggies/greens, some fruits, nuts and seeds. I'm all for that, although a modernized version.

Moral of the story, know what you eat, it remains the key factor for both gaining or losing weight the right way. It's all about nutrition buddy, even Tom watched his intake in this movie. If anything it further backs up the fact it's all about nutrition.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Actually you're wrong. Macros are not just macros, just like calories are not just calories. Thinking that way proves very little understanding of the human body, or its functioning.
Fact is, your body is constantly burning calories. It's even burning calories while you sleep, and while digesting. Point of this is, not every macro or calorie you intake is burned as fast. Your body will burn more calories eating fibers and veggies than say white bread, etc...

Never seen Fat Head, but there is many things to look at. First off, he limited 100g of Carbs per day, and consumed only 2000 calories (900 of which was fat, 100g of fat x 9 cal=900). It seems that his idea was to show that fat isn't bad, which I fully agree with. Nothing surprising there.
Also, his HDL goes down, that's the supposed good cholesterol. It doesn't improve, quite the opposite.

Here's another crazy thought, eat nothing, you'll likely lose weight. But it won't make you healthy.

Tom Naughton is an advocate of the Paleo diet, which, in a nutshell, limits you to meats and veggies/greens, some fruits, nuts and seeds. I'm all for that, although a modernized version.

Moral of the story, know what you eat, it remains the key factor for both gaining or losing weight the right way. It's all about nutrition buddy, even Tom watched his intake in this movie. If anything it further backs up the fact it's all about nutrition.
I've heard about it a few times and don't know what it is, can you explain to me what macros are?

Also, for nutrition, you believe that pasta/potatoes/any starchies are bad? Both fat loss and bulking?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

My body is amazing

I dont even need to workout

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:

You can eat crap and lose fat or add lean mass. You just need to be smart about it. You don't need to eat chicken and steamed broccoli. You can eat a bacon double cheeseburger every day, just make it fit in your daily macros and caloric requirements.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I've heard about it a few times and don't know what it is, can you explain to me what macros are?

Also, for nutrition, you believe that pasta/potatoes/any starchies are bad? Both fat loss and bulking?
macros = macronutrients

carbs, fat, protein are your macros

Avoid starch and carbs in general when cutting. Starches are very calorie dense its a great way to get your cals in when you're bulking. Gives you good energy for your lifts at the gym as well.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
You can eat crap and lose fat or add lean mass. You just need to be smart about it. You don't need to eat chicken and steamed broccoli. You can eat a bacon double cheeseburger every day, just make it fit in your daily macros and caloric requirements.
You're wrong. If you have a 4000 caloric intake and all you eat are double cheeseburger bacon everyday, you will not put on lean mass. You just won't. No matter how long you run. You'll probably die young too. If you're putting mass, you need to eat a lot, eating a lot of junk won't help you. Didn't you say even you went through that??

As for the losing fat, if all you eat is one double cheeseburger a day, then you're eating less than 1000 calories a day, so ya, you'll lose fat. However you'll be very unhealthy and also die young.

Really, I don't think you should try to argue otherwise. You're not making yourself sound like the smartest cat right now.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
You're wrong. If you have a 4000 caloric intake and all you eat are double cheeseburger bacon everyday, you will not put on lean mass. You just won't. No matter how long you run. You'll probably die young too. If you're putting mass, you need to eat a lot, eating a lot of junk won't help you. Didn't you say even you went through that??

As for the losing fat, if all you eat is one double cheeseburger a day, then you're eating less than 1000 calories a day, so ya, you'll lose fat. However you'll be very unhealthy and also die young.

Really, I don't think you should try to argue otherwise. You're not making yourself sound like the smartest cat right now.
Totally disagree. I fit junk in my macros all the time and I put on all kinds of muscle this year. You need to hit your protein requirement, and caloric requirement. How you reach it is up to you.

Keep doin' what you're doing bro, what I'm doing works for me. Especially for Mr and Mrs everybody, you can't get them into fitness by being so extreme. The important part is exercise. Also food doesn't kill, obesity related health problems kill

Old
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Totally disagree. I fit junk in my macros all the time and I put on all kinds of muscle this year. You need to hit your protein requirement, and caloric requirement. How you reach it is up to you.

Keep doin' what you're doing bro, what I'm doing works for me. Especially for Mr and Mrs everybody, you can't get them into fitness by being so extreme. The important part is exercise. Also food doesn't kill, obesity related health problems kill
This. I've tried clean bulks and "dirty bulks". I made more overall progress in 6 months of dirty bulking than I used to in 12 months of clean bulking. Yes both in muscle gains and %bf loss. BTW good luck eating a clean 5k calories a day on a bulk, you'd go crazy after a few weeks.

Some examples of my diet when putting on muscle mass:
2L of chocolate milk a day with 2 scoops of whey mixed in (one scoop in the morning one after working out)
One meal of either homemade double cheeseburgers/tacos/pizza a day
Two average steaks eaten over two portions (one with mashed potatoes and broccoli/green beans - the other with eggs and cheese few hours later)
Breakfast would either be ham&eggs with toast (steak sometimes if I had some remaining) or a homemade burrito
Banana in the morning upon waking, and banana at the end of my workout. Blackberries throughout the day.
Huge glass of water every 60 minutes without fail
Once a week I would replace the steaks with a chicken breast or veal
Once a week I would replace the junk meal with a chicken breast or veal

Workout 4 times a week for 60 minutes. 20 minutes of cardio once a week.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:38 AM
Hades

You can eat **** and still look good if you train well. I think eating **** is bad for your health though, that's why you should strive to have a good diet.

Also when it comes to training, consistency is key. Don't train for a month and then take 2 weeks ago.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:

I disagree. If someone who works out has a maintenance of 3700 calories and he eats 4000 calories with enough protein, he will add lean mass. He will eventually get health problems but he will add lean mass as long as he eats a little bit over his maintenance.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:

What, are you not familiar with Michael Phelps' 12,000 calorie a day diet?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:49 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
This. I've tried clean bulks and "dirty bulks". I made more overall progress in 6 months of dirty bulking than I used to in 12 months of clean bulking. Yes both in muscle gains and %bf loss. BTW good luck eating a clean 5k calories a day on a bulk, you'd go crazy after a few weeks.

2L of chocolate milk a day with 2 scoops of whey mixed in (one scoop in the morning one after working out)
Two average steaks eaten over two portions (one with mashed potatoes and broccoli/green beans - the other with eggs and cheese few hours later)
Breakfast would either be ham&eggs with toast (steak sometimes if I had some remaining) or a homemade burrito
Banana in the morning upon waking, and banana at the end of my workout. Blackberries throughout the day.

2 liters of chocolate milk a day? Honestly bro, I'm not sure those big biceps will help your body image if your farts are turning people away all the time ;-)

Now, I have a general fitness problem. For the first time in my life this fall, I actually tried to improve my fitness and failed to do so. I'm still 230 lbs at 5'11" with a high fat percentage. I have many of the standard medical problems associated with obesity, such as loud, night time snoring and frequent coughing.

Now, we're talking about a very short period of time. Upon finding my apartment in Australia, approximately November 1st, I then went to the gym maybe 35 times in the following 45 days. Maybe two thirds of those times were just cardio, where I did maybe ~40 minutes on the elliptical with some variation at a typical heart rate of ~135; where the machine would state ~600 calories burned per workout. I could do more towards the end but I was rebuilding my heart and legs after a prolonged period of inactivity.

The other days I followed a weight program a trainer made. He made three days: I think back, legs, and arms; with a shoulder exercise thrown in. My goal was to lose weight, so all the exercises were 3x15 reps. I suspect this part didn't help because for the first few exercises I wasn't sure how strong I was and thus was constantly increasing the weights.

My diet wasn't "good", but I'm pretty sure it was better than what I was eating the previous six months when I was finishing my dissertation. I was still eating out often but not as often as before.

I was happy to find a satisfactory gym a 5 minute walking distance from my apartment.

Basically, I think the issues are as follows:

- Six weeks is a small sample and I may be a victim of statistical noise.
- I should increase my cardio days from 40 to 60 minutes. I was going this but it takes time to build that up. I find the elliptical easiest, then the bike, then the treadmill. I could burn more calories just doing the elliptical but I think using the different machines is probably healthier in the long-run. On the treadmill I can only do 15 minutes at 5.5 mph. I used to be able to do 60 minutes at 7.5 mph. It will take time.
- Get to my maximum ability on the weight training.
- Cook more. Eating well is important, but bad foods are fun. I'm doing pretty well actually. Typical breakfast is orange juice (pressed from actual oranges), a banana, and some greek yogurt (real greek yogurt, not fat-free BS) mixed with honey. Typical lunch is pasta, some fruit like a mango, diet soda, and a small bag of chips. Dinner varies.

I get back to my routine in late January, so I guess I should re-evaluate in late March.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
2 liters of chocolate milk a day? Honestly bro, I'm not sure those big biceps will help your body image if your farts are turning people away all the time ;-)

Now, I have a general fitness problem. For the first time in my life this fall, I actually tried to improve my fitness and failed to do so. I'm still 230 lbs at 5'11" with a high fat percentage. I have many of the standard medical problems associated with obesity, such as loud, night time snoring and frequent coughing.

Now, we're talking about a very short period of time. Upon finding my apartment in Australia, approximately November 1st, I then went to the gym maybe 35 times in the following 45 days. Maybe two thirds of those times were just cardio, where I did maybe ~40 minutes on the elliptical with some variation at a typical heart rate of ~135; where the machine would state ~600 calories burned per workout. I could do more towards the end but I was rebuilding my heart and legs after a prolonged period of inactivity.

The other days I followed a weight program a trainer made. He made three days: I think back, legs, and arms; with a shoulder exercise thrown in. My goal was to lose weight, so all the exercises were 3x15 reps. I suspect this part didn't help because for the first few exercises I wasn't sure how strong I was and thus was constantly increasing the weights.

My diet wasn't "good", but I'm pretty sure it was better than what I was eating the previous six months when I was finishing my dissertation. I was still eating out often but not as often as before.

I was happy to find a satisfactory gym a 5 minute walking distance from my apartment.

Basically, I think the issues are as follows:

- Six weeks is a small sample and I may be a victim of statistical noise.
- I should increase my cardio days from 40 to 60 minutes. I was going this but it takes time to build that up. I find the elliptical easiest, then the bike, then the treadmill. I could burn more calories just doing the elliptical but I think using the different machines is probably healthier in the long-run. On the treadmill I can only do 15 minutes at 5.5 mph. I used to be able to do 60 minutes at 7.5 mph. It will take time.
- Get to my maximum ability on the weight training.
- Cook more. Eating well is important, but bad foods are fun. I'm doing pretty well actually. Typical breakfast is orange juice (pressed from actual oranges), a banana, and some greek yogurt (real greek yogurt, not fat-free BS) mixed with honey. Typical lunch is pasta, some fruit like a mango, diet soda, and a small bag of chips. Dinner varies.

I get back to my routine in late January, so I guess I should re-evaluate in late March.
I don't have experience with losing weight, my problem is putting on weight but I have some advice:

-Cardio is good but you should really focus on nutrition, get a scale and weigh your food
-You could replace the orange juice with water and only eat chips on "cheat days", they will keep you sane
-Workout with someone who has the same goal as you, it's easier going to the gym with a buddy
-Set some realistic goals that can be achieved in a short period of time
-Be patient, consistent and remember that you can do it

Good luck bro.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

There's a difference between eating junk once in a while and eating it all the time.
Have a junk meal three times a week, not the end of the world and you can get gains. Making it your primary source of food is just not efficient, nor healthy. I can't believe we're actually discussing this in a fitness thread.

You tend to focus on quantity as opposed to quality. Eat truly healthy foods, drink lots and lots of water, along with good sleep, and tell me how you feel both mentally and physically (strength wise as well) compared to a junk food diet. Worlds apart.

Also, you're totally wrong. Bad food (friend junk crap) leads to obesity that leads to health problems. You think people get obese eating salads and fish?

The proof is in the pudding.
Eat crap all day, every day, while exercising, and you won't reach your objectives.
Eat well, without exercising, you'll see improvements.
You don't need anything more than that to figure out how nutrition is key.

And again, there's a very big difference between cheating a couple times a week (perhaps even once a day depending on the meal itself) than mostly eating that.

Your diet is probably high in omega 6 and you've given me little reason to believe you're actually balancing it out with supplementing O-3 into the mix. Not good.
I see no point in discussing fitness if health is not involved. Bulking up will obviously be tough if you think stocking up on greens and veggies will do the job. That's where more dairy and grain products come into play, not junk.
If you really can't get away from that little bag of chips or cookies or even pizza, then go ahead, grab yourself some once in a while, but let's not advocate that junk food is okay. It's not.

As for Mr and Mrs everybody, I've been dealing with them for at least 3 years. Some clients have a harder time adjusting than others. However, I make it a mandatory 2 week cleanse. Two simple weeks, nothing in terms of junk. It's only 14 days. If they can't commit I tell them to go see another trainer. After those two weeks, they can incorporate cheat meals. Most of them don't have a hard time following my plans, and they all notice the benefits. Just after two weeks.
People will panic if you tell them you can't eat pizza for the rest of your life. The job is to get them to not want to eat that junk. It's a tough task seeing how poorly informed the population is and how crappy their eating habits are, but it's far from impossible.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
DAChampion

Kriss,

It is impossible to get fat off fish and salads imo, there's almost no calories in them unless you deep fry the fish, put it in a sandwhich of white bread with mayonnaise, and add a lot of dressing to your salad.

A can of tuna has like ~200 calories, and I think most of it is from the olive oil.

I think what it comes down to is that simple carbs are appetite enhancers. I'm pretty sure corporate america has secretely filled most manufactured foods with appetite enhancers, to make people eat more.

I'll try the 14-day trick when I get back.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post

That's not really a "dirty bulk", IMO, especially if the pizzas and burgers were homemade. That's a pretty reasonable diet considering the target caloric intake.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Kriss,

It is impossible to get fat off fish and salads imo, there's almost no calories in them unless you deep fry the fish, put it in a sandwhich of white bread with mayonnaise, and add a lot of dressing to your salad.

A can of tuna has like ~200 calories, and I think most of it is from the olive oil.

I think what it comes down to is that simple carbs are appetite enhancers. I'm pretty sure corporate america has secretely filled most manufactured foods with appetite enhancers, to make people eat more.

I'll try the 14-day trick when I get back.
Goal is not to get fat. Goal should be to get stronger, better, faster, all the while getting healthier.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

What are people's opinion about crossfit? Good idea or fad? There are quite a few critics about it. Some even call it "the scientology of fitness".

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
What are people's opinion about crossfit? Good idea or fad? There are quite a few critics about it. Some even call it "the scientology of fitness".
I've been doing it for 4years, coaching for a bit over 2years. No fad.
The critics are mainly aimed at the lack of safety and programming. So it depends where you do it. Some gyms aren't the best.
But it's not a fad. Not at all.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Did it for a year and i loved it!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:15 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I think it's stupid that they're marketing to the general public but that's business I guess.

The workouts are great for athleticism it's just that the average joe that invests in a crossfit gym has no idea what they're getting into and will likely fail. Then again most average joes who invest in a gym membership fail anyways so the end result is the same more often than not.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
There's a difference between eating junk once in a while and eating it all the time.
Have a junk meal three times a week, not the end of the world and you can get gains. Making it your primary source of food is just not efficient, nor healthy. I can't believe we're actually discussing this in a fitness thread.

You tend to focus on quantity as opposed to quality. Eat truly healthy foods, drink lots and lots of water, along with good sleep, and tell me how you feel both mentally and physically (strength wise as well) compared to a junk food diet. Worlds apart.

Also, you're totally wrong. Bad food (friend junk crap) leads to obesity that leads to health problems. You think people get obese eating salads and fish?

The proof is in the pudding.
Eat crap all day, every day, while exercising, and you won't reach your objectives.
Eat well, without exercising, you'll see improvements.
You don't need anything more than that to figure out how nutrition is key.

And again, there's a very big difference between cheating a couple times a week (perhaps even once a day depending on the meal itself) than mostly eating that.

Your diet is probably high in omega 6 and you've given me little reason to believe you're actually balancing it out with supplementing O-3 into the mix. Not good.
I see no point in discussing fitness if health is not involved. Bulking up will obviously be tough if you think stocking up on greens and veggies will do the job. That's where more dairy and grain products come into play, not junk.
If you really can't get away from that little bag of chips or cookies or even pizza, then go ahead, grab yourself some once in a while, but let's not advocate that junk food is okay. It's not.

As for Mr and Mrs everybody, I've been dealing with them for at least 3 years. Some clients have a harder time adjusting than others. However, I make it a mandatory 2 week cleanse. Two simple weeks, nothing in terms of junk. It's only 14 days. If they can't commit I tell them to go see another trainer. After those two weeks, they can incorporate cheat meals. Most of them don't have a hard time following my plans, and they all notice the benefits. Just after two weeks.
People will panic if you tell them you can't eat pizza for the rest of your life. The job is to get them to not want to eat that junk. It's a tough task seeing how poorly informed the population is and how crappy their eating habits are, but it's far from impossible.
No point in continuing this argument, we don't agree

Old
12-20-2012, 10:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I've been doing it for 4years, coaching for a bit over 2years. No fad.
The critics are mainly aimed at the lack of safety and programming. So it depends where you do it. Some gyms aren't the best.
But it's not a fad. Not at all.
You work at CrossFit Laval?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote