HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But the playoffs do not include all the inferior teams that the Oil Kings play during the regular season... Should it be surprising that he's not scoring at the same pace in the playoffs as he is during the regular season?

I could see if he did 19 points in 20 games and was a -8 as to indicate his line was not playing well defensively at even strength and getting scored on - but that wasn't the case....

If any of our top Rangers players were scoring at a PPG pace over 20 playoff games and +8 we'd be singing their praises....
His PPG in the regular season projects to around 29 points in 20 games. That's an ugly drop off. I definitely didn't expect ridiculous numbers, but definitely over a PPG. You make some good points about harder teams, but his post season was underwhelming.

I'd be happy with 19 points in 20 games with some of our forward prospects. The thing that is going to get St. Croix into the NHL is his offense, so he disappointed.

Not a big deal though, I haven't seen so much skill and puck swagger in one of our prospects in years.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:26 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I am anxious to see how St. Croix performs in the AHL....

Old
12-18-2012, 12:37 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I am anxious to see how St. Croix performs in the AHL....
He's too skilled to not produce. He's the exact type of player they lack right now in CT, a pure skill center.

I also think his points on the PP are a bit misleading in a negative way. The top unit runs 5 forwards in Edmonton, he is going to be playing long shifts in the offensive zone with plenty of opportunity to score (they have the best PP in the WHL by a decent margin). When your top 3 defenseman are Griffin Reinhardt, David Musil, and Keegan Lowe, 3 defensive defensemen, and there is such a big drop off after your top 6 in offense, St. Croix is looking at long shifts on the PP. Edmonton apparently hasn't hit their stride yet as well. When they do look out.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:43 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He's too skilled to not produce. He's the exact type of player they lack right now in CT, a pure skill center.

I also think his points on the PP are a bit misleading in a negative way. The top unit runs 5 forwards in Edmonton, he is going to be playing long shifts in the offensive zone with plenty of opportunity to score (they have the best PP in the WHL by a decent margin). When your top 3 defenseman are Griffin Reinhardt, David Musil, and Keegan Lowe, 3 defensive defensemen, and there is such a big drop off after your top 6 in offense, St. Croix is looking at long shifts on the PP. Edmonton apparently hasn't hit their stride yet as well. When they do look out.
They're 22-7-2. What exactly is hitting their stride?

Old
12-18-2012, 12:58 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
They're 22-7-2. What exactly is hitting their stride?
They won the WHL last season and returned nearly all of their players (lost Pysyk, gained Musil). In the games I've watched the announcers and even their coach said they haven't hit their stride.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
St. Croix wasn't bad in the postseason, but he wasn't great. In the playoffs, you want your best players to step it up. He didn't really step it up. His production was fine, but nothing to write home about.

The Oil Kings, from what I've read, have not been playing as well as they could. They have a great record, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Much in the same way that we went on winning streaks while not playing our best hockey, they've been very successful but still have room to improve.

It's just pain.
Old
12-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Oil Kings are missing Gernat quite a bit. He was a huge weapon from the blueline last year. Lazar is also struggling to find consistency in his game. Kid has one of the best shots amongst 2013 eligibles, but he's not generating as much offense as he ought to be. His play in his own end is solid though.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
St. Croix wasn't bad in the postseason, but he wasn't great. In the playoffs, you want your best players to step it up. He didn't really step it up. His production was fine, but nothing to write home about.

The Oil Kings, from what I've read, have not been playing as well as they could. They have a great record, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Much in the same way that we went on winning streaks while not playing our best hockey, they've been very successful but still have room to improve.
Agreed 100% about last year's playoff performance. However, nobody mentions how terrible he was during the Memorial Cup tournament. Not overly impressed frankly.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Agreed 100% about last year's playoff performance. However, nobody mentions how terrible he was during the Memorial Cup tournament. Not overly impressed frankly.

Let's not hold a few bad (or good) games against the kid forever. No matter how important the games, it's still just a couple of games.

Old
12-19-2012, 05:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I haven't had a chance to catch a Michigan game yet this year but it seems Nieves is having a pretty good season for a freshman stats wise.

Can anyone that has seen him play comment?

Old
12-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Nieves will have a lot of responsibility next year on a weak team.
A.J. Treais, the only person who's outscoring Nieves, is a senior. Kevin Lynch, the other decent center on the team, is also a senior. Nieves will almost certainly be the go-to guy in Michigan next season, so we'll see how he performs. A lot of responsibility for a teenager.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And a probable WJC next year for Nieves. Its looking like next season could be his coming out party.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And a probable WJC next year for Nieves. Its looking like next season could be his coming out party.

It will be a big test for him. He can take the ball and run with it, becoming an NCAA star and opening a lot of eyes in the WJC, or he can collapse under the weight of the responsibility given to him as a first line center in D1 while still a teenager.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:52 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I haven't had a chance to catch a Michigan game yet this year but it seems Nieves is having a pretty good season for a freshman stats wise.

Can anyone that has seen him play comment?
A little timid away from the puck but his playmaking has been very good. The puck is tied to his stick at times. The kid is just a great playmaker but he's got soft hands and really good at controlling the puck.

Hockey sense in his own zone is very high.....doesnt play like a freshman.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
A little timid away from the puck but his playmaking has been very good. The puck is tied to his stick at times. The kid is just a great playmaker but he's got soft hands and really good at controlling the puck.

Hockey sense in his own zone is very high.....doesnt play like a freshman.
hockey sense is very good to have.. does he hit or does he shy away from contact? does he block shots?? how is he in front of the net? how is his skating and backchecking and is he a winger or a center and if center how is he on faceoffs offensive zone and defensive zone? i dont know much about him..one of the prospects i least know anything about.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:13 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
hockey sense is very good to have.. does he hit or does he shy away from contact? does he block shots?? how is he in front of the net? how is his skating and backchecking and is he a winger or a center and if center how is he on faceoffs offensive zone and defensive zone? i dont know much about him..one of the prospects i least know anything about.
He's not a two-way forward at all but he's smart so he reads plays well.

All you need to know is that he started the year on the 3rd and 4th lines, and even though the Wolverines suck this year, it's still a veteran team and Nieves has centered both top two lines as of late. He's played both wing and center.

The kid is just a great passer, but he's always looking to pass. He's got an underrated accurate wrist shot but he doesnt use it.

He's tied for 2nd in Freshman scoring in the CCHA and leads the Wolverines in assists.

Kid's a stud. Pure offense. His passing abilities and ice vision remind me of Andrew Cassels...or a bigger, faster version of Craig Janney.

I wont compare him to Savard because I think Savard was a better goal scorer. But there are similarities.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:28 AM
NYR Viper

To put it in perspective he does not look as good as Stepan did his Freshman season. So I wouldn't pump him up too much. He has looked good and because of his size and skating, coupled with those offensive skills, he will be in the talks for the Rangers in the next 3~4 years IMO.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:31 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
To put it in perspective he does not look as good as Stepan did his Freshman season. So I wouldn't pump him up too much. He has looked good and because of his size and skating, coupled with those offensive skills, he will be in the talks for the Rangers in the next 3~4 years IMO.
And Steps is a 50 point second line center in his second year in the league, so Stepan was a special talent. I wouldn't pump him up to the point of Step but the dude is definitely is exceeding expectations.

edit- I forgot Boo was a 2nd rounder, thought he was a 3rd...but still. We all have to be pleasantly surprised with his play. Hopefully he keeps progressing well and is a 2 year college guy.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I only saw him once and wasn't impressed, but it was against a very defensive/veteran team in a hostile MSG.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And Steps is a 50 point second line center in his second year in the league, so Stepan was a special talent. I wouldn't pump him up to the point of Step but the dude is definitely is exceeding expectations.

edit- I forgot Boo was a 2nd rounder, thought he was a 3rd...but still. We all have to be pleasantly surprised with his play. Hopefully he keeps progressing well and is a 2 year college guy.
I was not saying Stepan isn't an impressive young player. He is. All I was doing was comparing him to a player who had success going the same route from a couple of years ago.

Old
12-20-2012, 04:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I was not saying Stepan isn't an impressive young player. He is. All I was doing was comparing him to a player who had success going the same route from a couple of years ago.
I know, and I agree, but I was saying MOST players don't look as good as Stepan did his freshman year.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:40 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Nieves is a project forward in that if he learns three-zone responsibility, he can be an all-around player at higher levels. He's got the skill and size.

He's actually a lot smarter with the puck than people give him credit for. Berenson seems to like him because his TOI has increased significantly since the start of the season.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:01 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Nieves is a project forward in that if he learns three-zone responsibility, he can be an all-around player at higher levels. He's got the skill and size.

He's actually a lot smarter with the puck than people give him credit for. Berenson seems to like him because his TOI has increased significantly since the start of the season.
Where did you find NCAA TOI stats? I've been looking for those for a long time.

12-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Where did you find NCAA TOI stats? I've been looking for those for a long time.
I second this.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
12-22-2012, 04:25 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Stats in the first post have been updated.
Would this suffice as a current kind of prospect ranking on each position on all the NYR prospect players current stage of development (not potential)? I know Kreider has a much higher ceiling than Hagelin for example, he just has not IMO reached it yet.

Left Wing
Carl Hagelin
Chris Kreider
Mats Zuccarello
Marek Hrivik
Ryan Bourque
Andrew Yogan
Jason Wilsson
Thomas Spelling

Center
JT Miller
Oscar Lindberg
Kyle Jean
Michael St Croix
Cristobal Nieves
Steven Fogarty

Right Wing

Jesper Fast
Christian Thomas
Shane McColgan

Left Defense
Brady Skjei
Jiri Niemi
Mikhail Pashnin

Right Defense
Dylan McIllraith
Steve Delisle
Blake Parlett
Calle Andersson
Samuel Noreau
Peter Čerešňák

Goalie
Cam Talbot
Jason Missiaen
Scott Stajcer

Elaborate please - in these dark & cold days of the NHL lockout..

Last edited by BBKers: 12-22-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Closed Thread