HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins - Maple Leafs

Old
12-19-2012, 06:31 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

vCash: 500
Bruins - Maple Leafs

To Boston:

Cody Franson

To Toronto:

Jordan Caron + Boston 3rd round pick 2013

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:38 PM
bruinsfan46

Cody Franson is an anti-Julien defenseman and Caron is having a terrible year. It would be just making a trade to make a trade.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:41 PM
MastuhNinks

Nothing against Caron but I don't see it happening. Going into next season the Leafs have Phaneuf, Gunnar, Gardiner, Liles, Komisarek, Holzer, Franson on defense. Franson could be the #7 guy or he could also be on the 2nd pairing with Gardiner, only time will tell. If the Leafs hadn't traded Schenn this would have been intriguing, but right now despite it being an area of strength in the prospect department, the Leafs seem to only have 7 NHL-ready defensemen, so I don't know why they'd trade one for a guy that projects to be a 2nd line winger, something the Leafs already have a lot of.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 06:45 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Values there and I really like Caron, I'd do it if there was no other options but I do feel franson should be dealt and I'd be content with this return.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:32 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Oh Toronto's trading with Boston? I hope Franson enjoys his Norris.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Oates2Neely

I don't see the point. Caron is slotted in on Boston's 3rd LW. Hamilton expected to be the #6 dman, with Krug slotting as the #7. Why give up your 3rd line LW for a dman who will be your #8?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I don't see the point. Caron is slotted in on Boston's 3rd LW. Hamilton expected to be the #6 dman, with Krug slotting as the #7. Why give up your 3rd line LW for a dman who will be your #8?
Honestly I don't think that's being perfectly fair to Cody Franson. Last season he finished 40th out of all defenders for points/60 minutes of ice time, ahead of players like Del Zotto, Streit, Erhoff and everyone's favourite offensive phenom Jake Gardiner. He ranked 15th out of all defenders in power play points/60 as well. Franson is a good young player who was managed just awfully by Toronto's coaching staff last season.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Honestly I don't think that's being perfectly fair to Cody Franson. Last season he finished 40th out of all defenders for points/60 minutes of ice time, ahead of players like Del Zotto, Streit, Erhoff and everyone's favourite offensive phenom Jake Gardiner. He ranked 15th out of all defenders in power play points/60 as well. Franson is a good young player who was managed just awfully by Toronto's coaching staff last season.
He's a defense-man,, where does he rank on defensive rankings?

Old
12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
seanlinden

Not the worst proposal out there. Franson's got a ton of potential (learn from Chara) but isn't the right fit for Toronto right now...

Problem is -- Caron really doesn't address any of Toronto's needs. We've got substantially more forward prospects who need NHL time than we have space to develop. If Caron hasn't gone to waste already, he will in Toronto. McQuaid or Boychuk might be a better target.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:17 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Oh right I forgot that a defenseman's value is limited strictly to his defensive acumen, just like forwards should be evaluated solely on their ability to play offense.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:22 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Poor Erik Karlsson, must get no love from you

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
capitalsrock

I don't think Boston needs to add the pick because IMO Caron > Franson

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Oh right I forgot that a defenseman's value is limited strictly to his defensive acumen, just like forwards should be evaluated solely on their ability to play offense.
I just find it amusing that youre ONLY using (points per 60 mins) and (pp points per 60) to describe a defensemans value. Odd. Especially considering that Franson couldn't nail down a spot or earn himself a contract on a team who was ranked near the very bottom of the entire league defensively.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
TmlHockeyFan

No more deals with Boston please. We always lost in the last few deals...

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
No more deals with Boston please. We always lost in the last few deals...
Really? You got yourselves a big tall & talented future #1 center in exchange for Kaberle

Old
12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Really? You got yourselves a big tall & talented future #1 center in exchange for Kaberle
He's not necessarily a #1 Centre. He isn't exactly playing well in the AHL right now either... not that I've given up on him (he got to points today so far). But since the beginning of this season he's been invisible most games. He looks like a player to be patient with him. The way things are going right now, it seems like his ceiling is as a 3rd line centre, MAYBE 2nd line centre. I can't say we won this trade until he actually cracks the lineup. I wouldn't trade him right now though. He seems like a player you have to be patient with.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
WhatASaveDave

I'd do it easily but I don't think Boston needs to add the pick

WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
I just find it amusing that youre ONLY using (points per 60 mins) and (pp points per 60) to describe a defensemans value. Odd. Especially considering that Franson couldn't nail down a spot or earn himself a contract on a team who was ranked near the very bottom of the entire league defensively.
No **** I'm using offensive metrics to evaluate an offensive defenseman. ****ing revolutionary, I know.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
You find his argument odd, then you go and say that?

What about players like, P.K Subban, Dmitry Kulikov, Jamie Benn and Ryan O'Reilly? I agree Franson isn't the best defensive defenseman available, but your surely able to come up with a better argument than that, right?

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
He's not necessarily a #1 Centre. He isn't exactly playing well in the AHL right now either... not that I've given up on him (he got to points today so far). But since the beginning of this season he's been invisible most games. He looks like a player to be patient with him. The way things are going right now, it seems like his ceiling is as a 3rd line centre, MAYBE 2nd line centre. I can't say we won this trade until he actually cracks the lineup. I wouldn't trade him right now though. He seems like a player you have to be patient with.
I was of course just pulling your leg, but the Kaberle trade wasn't a steal for Boston. It worked out well for both franchises was my point.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post

I guess that means players like, P.K Subban, Dmitry Kulikov, Jamie Benn all suck? I agree Franson isn't the best defensive defenseman available, but your surely able to come up with a better argument than that, right?
Subban is actually very good defensively. I don't watch Kulikov enough to comment. Benn is a forward

Old
12-19-2012, 08:52 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post

I guess that means players like, P.K Subban, Dmitry Kulikov, Jamie Benn all suck? I agree Franson isn't the best defensive defenseman available, but your surely able to come up with a better argument than that, right?
Nah man, if you're an RFA and haven't signed a new contract in a league that's suspended all activity and doesn't have an operating collective bargaining agreement, you're a bum.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Subban is actually very good defensively. I don't watch Kulikov enough to comment. Benn is a forward
Those are all RFA's who still haven't agreed to a contract with their teams before the CBA expired. So I was wondering why for Franson, it means he sucks because he wasn't able to earn himself a contract, yet for some reason that logic doesn't apply for the others.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Don't you see man!!! If you trade with TOR Franson instantly becomes a #2D and Caron becomes a bust of a player. For BOS it is pretty win win.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Halpysback

Has Caron really fallen that much?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote